Anblick's Quest for Immortality

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Anblick's Quest for Immortality

Postby Anblick » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:12 pm

Yes, to become an author and have my name live forever. Here I'll talk about my projects and how they keep poking me to work on them. Right now, I'm touching up my Short Story "Sins of the Father" for entry into the WT Autumn SS contest. I need to re-write two paras and expound on a sticky piece of information then I'm submitting my Grand-Prize winning piece (the confidence helps me...). With the commute, I haven't had much time to write, so hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:36 pm

Nothing tonight, but I promise TOMORROW I'll work on it!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:11 am

Question: do you feel that you get better at writing as time goes by? Or do you think there's a point where a person is just stuck with what they've managed to develop? Do you think writers always improve?
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
royal_blueyes
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby royal_blueyes » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:53 am

Of course they improve, it may not be a steady progression but as an artist there are always things you realize you want to change or improve on. Ever looked at something you wrote a few months before and dint know how u could have possibly thought it sounded good? that you improving :)
<i>Some five syllables
Another seven go here
Finish with five more</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:55 am

Yeah... I guess I just feel stuck in one place...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
royal_blueyes

Postby royal_blueyes » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:57 am

How can ya say that when you wrote that last poem. Haven't read anything like that from you before
<i>Some five syllables

Another seven go here

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 am

Sometimes something will just roll around in my head for days or weeks and come out at the perfect time... that's what happened there... :)

Poems are generaly short, and they're all about sensation... feelings... your personal response... prose actually means having a plot, outline, direction, climax.... and its longer so it needs to be sustained... my problem is getting dried up before I finish...
royal_blueyes

Postby royal_blueyes » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:05 am

ahh, yeah it can be hard to maintain momentum. Thats why i stick to things i can write in one sitting. If i don't think ill finish something i know i won't come back and end up throwing it away.

Guess its just a question of being able to come back to something when your ready.
<i>Some five syllables

Another seven go here

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:31 am

Delaney wrote:Question: do you feel that you get better at writing as time goes by? Or do you think there's a point where a person is just stuck with what they've managed to develop? Do you think writers always improve?

I think it depends on the writer. If they learn from their stalls, and make efforts to "try new ways" during their stalls, then yes, they will improve. If they just wait for the stalls to end on their own, then they will remain at the same level.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:09 pm

Who was I kidding? I didn't do any of that writing I promised myself I would do. It's only 2 paragraphs plus a little expansion of details in another area. But the hectic life of work and moving has been getting in the way...
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:10 pm

Anblick wrote:Who was I kidding? I didn't do any of that writing I promised myself I would do. It's only 2 paragraphs plus a little expansion of details in another area. But the hectic life of work and moving has been getting in the way...

that pesky life.. always getting in the way it is... [-(

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:11 pm

Yeah, but I really need to do this because it's my entry into the contest...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:18 pm

I finally got around to getting to those revisions. I won't be at a computer that has the document I need to type them into until Saturday night, so I'll type them up then and post Sins of the Father to the contest area then. Thanks to everyone that gave me feedback on it!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:30 pm

Oooh! I just learned something! I didn't know we could get feedback on our stories before we entered them in the contest. Darn! Anyone who wants to give me post-posting feedback is invited to do so in my blog, Mlou's news, or in PM or you can knock on my back door and deliver it personally. All welcome!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:39 pm

Scared, Mlou? :lol:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:06 pm

So, I finally posted my story in the contest area. Now I'm hoping there's enough entries (it's only $3 to enter!) to ensure the contest takes place...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:46 pm

Hmmm...do I take that question as a challenge, my wordtrip buddy? Okay. I'll go read yours if you'll read mine! I know our styles will be different because you like the macabre and I like humor.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:47 pm

It'll be a pleasure!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:51 pm

Very cool, Blick...and just as I thought, a soupcon of the macabre. Good job!

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:03 pm

I enjoyed yours too, though the "slang" spellings was distracting. It's usually easy to overcome in 3rd person, but not sure how you'd go about it in 1st person.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:57 pm

Yeah. Tried to just put in enough to give the feeling of her unschooled, hill country speech but it's dicey sometimes.

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:21 pm

Well, I have several "gothic" stories running through my head where I break all the "rules" for each genre. Who says every vampire/werewolf/etc story has to follow the same rules? I think these concepts among others are why literature has stagnated so much. Let's push the envelope. EXPLAIN WHY/HOW your rules are different subtly, but change them!

Maybe the "mainstream" rules are misinformation! Mayber there's a different reason. Either way, as long as your rules are plausible and the story is entertaining, why should you be forced to follow some one else's rules?
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:23 pm

You make a great werewolf, Anby :) I'd love to read a clip of your writing...
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:29 pm

The gothic stuff, or writing in general? If general, check out my entry in the SS contest. I think it's one of my best (and it has a touch of macabre in it)...

And it takes about 2 hours to get into costume (all make-up, no mask), and 3-4 to get out of costume (I recently learned the wonders of substances like Noxema for removing make-up - it used to take 5-6 hours and leave me very sore!)
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:07 pm

I've been working on Darkness today. It's a horror story. I've posted what I've written so far to my website.

If you'd like to read it:

http://www.bishopta.com/writing/darkness.htm

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”