Del's Writing Blog... Abysmal First Drafts...

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:12 pm

I thought this was pretty good...

Do you sabotage yourself? Of course you do, unless you're a writing saint.

Here are some ways you may sabotage yourself:

1. You always put off writing until tomorrow, when you have more time, don't have a headache, have made up with your spouse, your computer stops making that weird grinding noise, you can get a whiteboard for your mind maps...

2. You judge your writing. There are two parts to writing - generation and organization. Only two. Don't judge. You're a lousy judge of your own work.

3. You don't follow up. An editor asks to see more of your work, and you think it's just a rejection, so why bother? Follow up, please.

4. You don't communicate. If no one knows you're a writer, how will you get readers?

5. You never finish a piece of writing. You start an article, novel or screenplay and never get beyond page 1. Complete it, whatever it is.

6. You think everyone else is a better writer than you are. They're not. If you're interested in writing, that's a sign that you can write WELL, with some experience and practice. Rotten writers aren't interested in writing or reading.

7. You want to become a freelance writer, but you never send out your work to people who could buy it, or -

8. You stop at the first rejection. When should you stop sending out your work? When they toss the first clod of earth on your coffin.

9. You listen to the advice of people who are not writers, AND you listen to the advice of people who are writers. You know your work. Chances are that if you've only written a draft, most of your work is still in your head. Take your own advice. Listen to your intuition. Who should you listen to? To people who are paying you - editors, or clients if you're copywriting.

10. You allow yourself to be ruled by your emotions: you have to be in the mood to write. News flash: you get in the mood by writing. The writing generates the "writing mood". Try it. Start writing at a time you're "not in the mood". You'll shock yourself - after ten minutes, you'll be in the writing flow. -- Angela Booth
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:40 pm

So I'm writing a story.

The Turning Of The Screw is my inspiration.

Even though I haven't read it yet.

And there's a bug on my screen. Bugger.

There.

Dead.
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:24 pm

WC: 542

Woo hoo! I know it's not alot, but it's something... again.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 pm

It's the end of the world!

Both you AND I are writing stories again!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Woo hoo! I got my hard hat and flashlight for the bomb shelter ready... you have any canned goods?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:35 pm

Yeah, but we better get some more. Though, I gotta warn ya, I'm bringing my cats! (Rhett and Scarlett) We can isolate them in a room to protect you, though...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Yeah. We better.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 pm

Or we could stock up on allegra. Rhett would love to be your best friend! He loves to be everyone's best friend. He's almost a dog!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm

I only like dogs better than cats. I wouldn't adopt one of those either. You can set up a webcam and I'll watch you guys play from the other room in our bomb shelter.

How do we get on these tangents?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:45 pm

Well, I have a very close friend that's also allergic to cats, but she absolutely loves Rhett, and takes a bonus dose of her medicine to visit him! He's my favorite pet ever, he's so loveable!
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Yes, but... not only am I allergic, I really don't like ANY animals. Nothing personal of course. I'm sure Rhett has a wonderful personality.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:55 pm

He'd convert you in less than an hour! :D
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:06 am

One of the most dangerous combinations in the world are a fight with your boyfriend and an obsession with the musical episode of Buffy. It made me want to write a musical... about hating my boyfriend. And this awful house. And those disgusting cats.

He stuck up for the CAT! That horrible little grimy thing lounging on the counter near my FOOD, and just because gave it a little nudge... 8-[ ... that might have been painful... for the cat... he yells at ME! Can you believe it?

I mean, he's thrown it against the wall. But *I'm* the abusive one.

Whatever. I hope you like it.

The cats are grimy,
fit in the oven nicely.
The kitchen's pretty shiesty
and I'm getting pissed.

I'm bored, I'm lonely
my room's no longer homey
want to get to where I'm going
but I'm stuck inside

[CHORUS]

Oh, I-I-I... just want to move out... (just want to move out)
my liiiiife... needs a turnabout today...
Will I ever, have a clean kitchen?
Will I get away from scratching men?

Do I always have to repeat?
Will the doors ever stop squeaking?
How come I am never sleeping?
Your snoring's clear as a bell...

And that's how I live in hell.

He's mean, he's whiny
the shower's pretty grimy
his penis isn't tiny,
so I guess that that's good.

The floor is dirty,
no privacy for flirting,
it's all so disconcerting,
I think that I live in hell!

[CHORUS]

Oh I-I-I... I'm getting tired,
I tryyyy... but I can't take this anymore.
Did you have to, go steal my shampoo?
Can't you understand, it was Selsen Blue?

Are we ever gettin' married?
'Cause I'm gettin' sick of sharing,
this is nothing ordinary,
what do I have to sell?

To get the hell out of hell?
Oh, get the hell out of hell.
:D
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:40 am

Carol's sis is now a published author. Carol is actually WRITING.

Little twits. Why can't they mull around all upset with themselves like REAL writers.

Er... maybe that doesn't work. So I did a writing prompt. Not a WT one (sorry)... just a random one.

Prompt: You walk into your local library looking for a cooking book. Because you rarely visit the library, you ask the librarian for help. She does not say a word to you. She simply pulls out a book from underneath her desk and hands it to you. You notice the book it at least fifty years old. When you try to bring it back a week later, the library is no longer there. It is replaced by...

I walked over to the library before work thinking of how impressed with myself I was actually bringing back the book on time. Well, kind of on time. I owed them 5 cents. A day late. No biggie.

If you're a regular walker you pass about a hundred people every day that you know by sight. After a while, it almost seems awkward to me that nobody acknowledges each other yet. The same kids pass on their way home from school, and old guy with a cane, sometimes even the same cars pass you every day and we all notice each other. We just don't say a word.

The usual kids whirred by on their bikes, but looked curiously at each other as they did. Their normally boisterous conversation was heavy with silence.

Suddenly I found myself at the intersection past the library. How did I miss it?

I turned to look around me. Gas station, mini-mall, big brick building... oh my gosh. They killed the library!

I walked to get a closer look. I knew it. It wasn't just killed, it was eaten. Eaten by a demonic force used only to do Satan's bidding. Dangerous, evil, I scowled at the sign.

Starbucks. f#$%ing Starbucks ate my library.

"Miss? Could you spare some change, dear?" A crusty old man in rags sat at the door to the evil empire.

"They come with their own homeless guys?" I gasped incredulous at the built in cliche.

"Excuse me, miss?" The homeless man looked puzzled.

"Here," I said fishing around for the only change I had, and placed a nickel in his palm. "I paid my dues."
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:33 am

Tagging is alot of fun. Something about it takes the pressure off to be REALLY GOOD, y'know?

As I might've mentioned before (actually I'm not sure if I did) for the past few days I've been trying to quit smoking. And you know what I've found out these past 6 days (yea! Day 6!)? Drinking is not nearly as appealing without the smoking. So I haven't had anything to drink or smoke (well, a few slip-ups w/ the smoking, but nothing that undermined my efforts) for about, say, 5 days. So everything starts changing. I suddenly want a pet, I move out my bedroom TV to make room for the pet, I start spending my night reading and writing instead of drinking and smoking.

And alot more eating. But anyways.

So Carol and I are IMing back and forth one of those early nights, and of course I'm twitching, so I suggest writing tag.

What will we write about? she asks.

I don't know, I say.

A sexy vampire! she responds.

I'm sick of vampires, I say.

And after she got over the initial shock of the statement, I suggested we make a story about our children being evil geniuses, since I kind of think they're both growing into that anyway (our little boys *beams with pride*).

So I start writing, and the kitchen is noisy outside my door, so I start venting. Then I start making up stuff. Then it starts to come together as a start.

And even if it needs scores of re-writes and editing, at least we have a templet for bigger and better things.

And it usually keeps my mind off smoking.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Aaaaannd... I can't help it. I'm writing another one. Not a tag, but another... story, or something. I have a vauge idea of the plot but mostly I'm doing it for something to do anyway. The more limited in what I allow myself to do, I notice, the more inclined to do the things I've been putting off.

I wonder when the piano experiementation will kick in :-k
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 am

The piano experimentation kicked in. Just thought I'd let you all know.

And I'm frustrated because my wimpy perfectionist writing tag partner IS SLACKING OFF!

Good thing she's cute :evil:
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Okay, slack off is officially MIA for the time being (MUCH to my utter and total dismay), and while I consider the option of suicide, if there is anyone else who would like to start and FINISH a tag with me, or any other writing project really, I may just owe you my life.

*muah!*
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:37 am

New project... you cannot make me give up yet. I still have COUNTLESS nights of writing (that would otherwise be nights of boredom) to create ingenius pieces of crap.

WC for 3-27-07: 529
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 am

WC for 4-3-07: 642

It's kinda nice to get something accomplished so early before work :)

As for the tag front... I don't know. I suggested going back after our little hiatus, but I have since to talk to my beloved writing partner.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Why don't you continue writing the library story? Could be intriguing.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Library story? I started a library story? I think I may have started one too many stories without finishing... jog my memory?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 pm

The really weird part was the use of the car battery, fruit loops, a rubber chicken, a plunger, and lard.

Tag - back to you! lol
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 pm

Well, Anby, it wasn't really as weird as it seemed at the time. You just walked in at the wrong time, my dear boy. I'll break it down for you:

It was the lard that started it all, really. New diet pills... really work. Pull the lard right outta yer bum. Unfortunately, what was good for my waistline was bad for the toilet. So enter in the plunger... the conventional way to unclog lard from a toilet bowl. But the lard was sticking like crazy (I'm suing McDonald's), so to keep me company I brought in my rubber chicken, who talks to me but nobody else. Well, he (we'll call him Fred) was eating a bowl of fruit loops when my plunger stuck on the lard and wouldn't... you know, PLUNGE. Fred tried to help, but only added to the problem by dropping his bowl of fruit loops into the toilet as well.

We looked at each other despairingly, when Fred came up with a brilliant idea. If we charged the plunger with a car battery, it would be like a SUPER plunger, and we could go back to watching Sanjaya butcher this week's contest. So he pulled the thing out of his VW, and wired it to the plunger. When we started plunging again, super plunger hammered right through the porcelain bowl, and now we have to squat behind a bush outside.

It's just like they say... fat-flush dieting never works.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:26 pm

LOL, AWESOME response to the totally random prompt! And you didn't take it to the twisted sexual way most people do when I suggest that prompt...

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”