Del's Writing Blog... Abysmal First Drafts...

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:03 pm

I just wanted to post in here because, well, this blog looked lonely. Poor little writing blog all by itself, under piles and piles of blogs that ARE active... just thought I'd let it see some light before completely folding under :-D
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:21 am

If pure soul insistance won't make me begin writing, my athsma will. Cigarette smoke and insence KILLING me over there...

It will probably be awful. It will probably be some confirmation of my lack of ability as a writer. But the point is to stretch my legs in the writing department and make it brilliant later. Right now, I have an idea, a message, and a memory.

So here goes another attempt...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:30 pm

I actually did it. I sat down and began a first draft. It wasn't much, but it was something, and I'm going to do more tonight.

I don't have time to wait for inspiration... I need a best-seller QUICK or I'll be working at WINGS forever :roll:
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:22 pm

Looks like the bulk of detective work is going to be on ME. There isn't alot out there on demons... aside from personal accounts that could either be credible or not.

I did find a dictionary of the Bible which gave me some points to start on: I want to find out more about Baal (even though it may just turn out to be an idol with no clear demonic ties to it... other than being and IDOL), beelzebub (commonly translated as Lord of Flies... but 'more accurate' translations make him sound very un-demonish), and verses in scripture about Jesus "vanquishing" Satan. Excorcisms are on my list too.

And that is all the library has revealed to me today.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:58 pm

Notes: According to the testament of Solomon Baal worship is the worship of Beelzabub... it says that Solomon summoned him and asked him about who he is.

Half-fetched... now I need to figure out why this book wasn't included in the canon. The info doesn't do much good if it's a corrupted account.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm

250 words. That was in the last 10 minutes. The surprising thing is, is how much I've already cut out and re-written in those ten minutes, and still manage to have 250 words.

This is my word count for now. I figure I'll pop back to it in a bit. But considering that this is a "No-Writing" blog, 250 is still higher than my expectations :)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:10 pm

:rock: go del!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:10 am

You think that's exciting... I now possess a total 724 words of utter crap... to the untrained eye of course (yours, hypothetically) but it's Whitman to me, by golly. Nothing more beautiful than my own genius stretching its legs out and letting the story manifest itself on the page.

Okay, so the truth is probably closer to my opening line. I have filled almost two whole pages with crap. It's pretty interesting crap though... at least it interests me.

Okay, I haven't read it back to myself yet. I'm too scared. BUT, I did have a grand time writing it. I love how once I sit down, even if I have no idea what to type, sometimes I get lost in it and scenes and conlfict and plot just tell me where to put 'em.

I *was* reading a fantasy book by Stephen R. Donaldson ('Lord Foul's Bane'), when my ADD decided to try and guess what was going to happen next, and while in the mode of pre-envisioning this unknown story I contributed to my own (all my guesses were wrong, by the way, so I actually did stumble on a fully original idea). Then I couldn't enjoy the real story anymore. I had to go into my own. I wanted to see what would happen in MY book.

Unfortunately that meant I had to *gulp* write it.

But I did, and my ADD didn't rebuff my efforts until now, when it reminded me that I actually had some writing news to contribute to my blog.

Bet you can't tell that I'm wired :)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Carol and I have officially begun to cretae our story. We met up today with no clue what to do or what to start, and left each other with a full story line. We decided on fantasy, since she loves it and I've barely explored it but really want to try my hand at that genre. It worked out well too... she knows the construction of a fantasy story, and my ignorance served to bring fresh ideas to the table that she wouldn't have thought of.

Basically, she's the good guy, I'm the bad guy, and the story will reel both persepectives... which leaves alot of room for us to both create our character's personal stories. We both came up with alot of info, and it definitely is beginning to have a 3-dimensional feel.

So our homework for tonight it to begin creating our characters and writing them down so we can compare and contrast tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow... not next week, or some up in the air out of the blue "we'll get together soon" thing. TOMORROW. Which means I have work to do :-D
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 pm

So, so far everything I'm writing is pure crap. I don't have a name for my charcter, but I want whatever it's going to be to reflect his role in the story. I did however, actually WRITE something, and so long as Carol is willing to critique and keep me from letting my writing make a fool of me, I'm inclined to perservere. Which is better than I expected for myself anyway.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Began the second chapter of my side of the co-author arrangment. Finally. Remodeling basement apartments are very distracting. After Saturday though, we should be all moved in and Carol and I will find time to compare and contrast.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Wow... I love when stories begin to write themselves. Saves me so much time and effort.

Right now my keyboard is just whacking away at the thing... insert foreshadowing HERE, a little prophsey fullfillment THERE... can I start getting cocky now? That's the next stage for a writer, yes?

WC: 765
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:56 pm

So here's the update: My brain is storming with ideas to write into this story. Problem is, being a cooperative effort, I'm never sure what's going to be cut unless we both come to a concrete decision. For instance, I have a scene in my head that I really want to play out as a means to learn more about my charcter. Unfortunately, it clashes a bit with Carol's plan for HER character...

The other problem? Being writing partners with someone you really like sometimes results in productive sessions of... chit chat. We get very distracted.

So basically, we're gonna write what's in our heads, and compare and contrast later. I just don't want to put my all into a certain part and then have to cut it later :(
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:20 am

If it's cut, keep it for later. You never know when another project might be able to use a re-written version of that scene...
Mari

Postby Mari » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:59 am

I second the idea of keeping cut scenes - even cut sentences if they're "good". I have a whole folder full of stuff like that.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Since I left my other story somewhere on Guy's computer, and because it's raining out and I have no excuse, I wrote some more of a story I started about a month ago. I've been wanting to work on it, but got sidetracked by the collaborative effort one.

WC so far: 604
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Re-write WC: 827
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Okay, I can gripe about the discomfort of writing on another person's computer, right? Good.

I hate Mark's computer. I hate it because it is perfectly set up for Graphic Design, and terribly set-up for writing. He has two monitors, and I keep losing the mouse between the two. His keyboard and mouse are too close together, making me have to angle the keyboard and almost lose the mouse. He's got so much damn software and applications set up that I get confused and/or it interfere's with my typing. If I see ONE MORE pop-up telling me that Xcheck is idle... I'm going to scream (not your fault X).

Furthermore, since Mark and I haven';t dated for awhile, he completely filled up his schedule. He works full time and goes to school full time, and never slacks off on homework (or hardly ever), so I've been waiting days for him to set my computer up which he keeps saying will take "Only 10 minutes."

*sigh* Rant over.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun May 28, 2006 8:53 pm

WC: 683

It's been awhile. I keep finding myself writing the same story over and over but each time in a different way. When I'm writing it sounds good, then by the time I read it it sounds like a 12 year old has taken over my brain and won't stop screaming bad stories into it.

Ah well. Such is life, I guess.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun May 28, 2006 8:55 pm

My writing schedule has been a bit... spastic. But here it is, and I would appreciate any comments you can offer. Let me know if you like it so far (keep in mind it has not been edited yet... just words spilling out on a page and trying to organize themselves, there may be a lot of holes in it yet):

It was the seventh rainy day running straight. Agnes had been in a mood. A very specialized sort of crabby. Luckily enough for her, she could take out her frustrations on the world around her. It was one of the perks of being who she was, and doing what she did. The only downside to this however, was that her world affected only a very select amount of actual creatures. Namely herself, a yellow parakeet, and the troublesome squirrel that wasn't a part of anything she'd created, but for some reason couldn't make go away.

The trees swayed back and forth, and creaked in that eerie way that can only be achieved by freak accident on Earth and with total precision here. She was not the kind of person who took advantage of living alone by sleeping alot. At first she did. But by the time 10 years had passed she had come to a place inside her where sleep wasn't even nessesary, because she knew she could always do it. It was hardly worth it then. She may as well find something to do.

If there was ever anyone around to speculate about her, they probably would've had alot to say about her by now. And if you were a newcomer who happened upon seeing a cottage where the rain, snow and sunshine had their own agenda over it, you may have heard the following rumors:

Agnes was a nice, normal young girl. Until she did something awful and probably sinful against nature (there would be continued rumors on what that was) and was cursed into a cottage at the top of the hill so that everybody could see. Or...

Agnes was an evil witch who prefered to live alone in a dreary cottage after her heart was broken by her finan'ce (that mysteriously disapeared), and wrecks havoc on the weather because of it. Or...

Agnes was a lost soul who somehow found herself trapped in the cursed cottage of her ancient mother's, and who knows? her mother's propably still alive and kicking the crap out of her cat every other day.

Except none of these rumors could possibly be right. For one thing, Agnes was never nice and normal, and for all intents and purposes was probably never a young girl. It would also be very hard for anyone to imagine her heart being broken by a fian'ce, especially as it was likely made of iron and possibly squeeked from rust and disuse. Besides that, any man who approached Agnes for any reason would probably disapear on the spot. And as for the last explanation, it is not even completely feasible that Agnes ever had a mother, much less a mother with a cat who would not object to a beating. And Agnes's soul was certainly not lost. She knew exactly what place in hell it occupied.

And of course the most concrete reason that these rumors would be false, is because nobody was around to make them up. For all she knew, no human being had any idea that she existed, as she could only remember existing at all for a very short time.

But time was also relative here. She liked it that way.

What nobody would have guessed even in a hypothetical world (which is basically what she lived in) is that Agnes had been a Saint. Not the hibbity-bibbity barely noticable kind that was infesting the world today, but a sword weilding, revolution crying, dutiful martyr loving Saint.

Although she didn't much resemble it now. That alone made her cranky, and may have played a card in where and what she was today. But ultimately it wasn't important who Agnes was, how she came to be, or what made her what she was today. What mattered now, was that she watched. And interfered. It was her job, and it was the kind that was often taken forgranted. Or worse, loathed. That also didn't matter because she lived alone, and had nobody around to wonder if she was the one who made all kinds of horrible things happen.
ficlite
Wordtripper

Postby ficlite » Mon May 29, 2006 6:34 am

Ok I officially like it. That being said can I borrow your 12 yrold who writes bad stories? I am writing a Fan Fic for my friend Gretchen and for some insane reason I let her talk me into putting it on Fanfiction.net.

Once I created the account my sister decided to post one of her stories to my site. I couldn't kill her for it there where to many people watching. And now my sister's story has more reviews and words then mine does. I need to bump up the Word count so can I borrow the 12 yrold? It's FanFiction.net I doubt they would notice if the writing weren't the best. PLS
Life is short and the goal is to write read and eat chocolate often
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:09 pm

LOL you're so funny ficlite... I share your plight. I hardly ever manage to finish anything; I'm easily discouraged. But I'm glad that you liked it... it bumps my ego just a little bit more than it was :-)

You can totally borrow my 12 year old... except remember that one of the side-effects can sometimes be very bad writing *cringe*, but maybe as far as imagination, 12 year olds are best :-D
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:15 pm

844 words today.

820 two days ago.

That makes my story's word count so far 1664.

SWEET :D
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:36 pm

So . . . how's it coming along Del?
Is this my reality or yours?
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:48 am

Well, it's kinda on the backburner... that thing is getting cluttered (my backburner, not the story). I decided it was a horrible story (like always), and I haven't got much feedback on it from our Writing Group to convince me one way or the other... in fact there doesn't seem to be anyone else there. But I should check again. I need to crit other people's stuff too... I've been neglecting all kinds of things lately.

I have been delving into school stuff though. That's what sparked all my writing anyway back in 2004, so I'm pretty happy with it. And now I get to share with you priviledged WTers, my very first essay for Human Services. It sounds boring, but I actually think it's pretty good :D

I have a memory of my father and myself in a restaurant one morning in Palmer. We were chatting, impatiently waiting for our food to arrive, when we both spotted the same table across from us on the far side of the room. A woman sat across from another person, talking quietly and alternating between serving herself and wiping the other's face with a napkin. The person sitting across from her didn't appear very engrossed in the conversation, but the woman kept the running dialouge anyways, as natural as possible.

My father then turned to me and said, "You have to be a very special person to be able to do that. I couldn't do it." And I remember thinking to myself, I could do that. That was my first glimpse into the caring professions.

I've drifted into several fields of thought for my future career: Graphic Design, Childcare, Journalism etc. It was only when I stumbled upon my job as Direct Care Staff for Meadows Homes (residential) this past summer, that I realized what I was most comfortable in. It seemed ironic, considering that I had spent most of my time the past three years with my nose in a book and a bottle in my hand, and occasionally a blank piece of paper teasing me to write some ingenius, narcisistic narrative about myself on it. I did not have to work there long to discover that the less I thought about myself, and the more my private thoughts were interupted by the needs of other people, the happier and more energtic I became. Shortly the patients came to trust me as the girl who works every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. They knew I would arrive every night on those days and be there to wake them every morning. I learned about the ladies (four patients to a house) individually: I learned that Doreen has a special fork that looks like all the others but is different to her somehow (and I just figured out which one it was), and that she doesn't like plastic cups, so to make sure she has a glass by her breakfast plate every morning. I learned that Dottie doesn't like to get wet, that Anne thinks that my old ragged sweatpants are funny and feels that I should invest in a belt for my jeans (hip-huggers), and that Beverly sometimes stops what she's doing to do an "indian dance" in the living room.

There is something about working with the mentally handicapped that brings out a part of me that's been undernourished in the past. Compassion. Love. In this kind of work, it's impossible (to my mind) to do your job effectively if you're not loving the people you're caring for. My experiences in this place have been some of the most rewarding in my life, virtues unwittingly learned trickling into my personal life and giving me a new confidence in my ability to be useful to others. I've found that some of my personal strengths include keeping a natural flow of conversation, making people laugh, being able to keep up with four different people's random and complicated routines, and understanding the importance of them. And at the same time, the are refreshingly simple. They don't care that I'm a smoker, that my teeth don't glimmer in the light like an Orbit ad, that my feet are big or I'm almost always late... as long as I'm not late arriving for them (which consequently, I never am). I can joke with them, talk with them, go for walks with them and take them places. Even my boyfreind is happy with my experiences here; because of it I've had to learn how to cook (did you know that potatoes have to soften before you attempt mashing them?).

As Meadows Homes is what I'm told only a mini-sister of quite a larger, grand scale view of Human Service providers, I've toyed with the idea of exploring those sister avenues. Women's shelters, homeless shelters, etc. But where I am now is where I want to stay for now. I don't believe I'm quite through learning and growing here yet. There's alot more yet to discover, and I'm happiest discovering it here.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”