Del's Writing Blog... Abysmal First Drafts...

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:53 pm

Blue wrote this... kind of sad but I like it...

Lay down on the floor
dont make a whisper
stare into your mirror
judge yourself to sleep
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:58 am

Okay now, I want to write. My story. Not for journalism homework, CNF homework, or transcribing sh!# onto paper. I want to write my novel.

And I can't just wait until November either.

I'm sorry, are we allowed to whine in or WB so long as its writing related?
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:55 pm

of course lol
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:43 pm

This has been bothering me for some time now... when is it okay to not use an apostrphy for 'it's'? I thought you ALWAYS had to... but now that doesn't seem the case. Did something in our language change regarding contractions? I thought you always had to use an apostrphy because a. it's a contration and b. even if it's possesive.

I don't know when to sprinkle apostrophies!!! :cry:
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:45 pm

its is the possessive version, del
it's means "it is"
Behind the Press

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:15 pm

Has it ALWAYS been that way?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:20 pm

as long as I've been writing!
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:13 pm

even longer than THAT... somebody's 9th grade english teacher didn't serve her very well by not clarifying that.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:57 pm

I can't believe I've been doing this wrong all my life...
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:58 pm

Doing a 'Character Portrait' for school tomorrow. Guy is my subject... I have to write down things I observe about him, his living space, and write an essay about it... Here's my list so far:

1. Beer in the fridge meticulously placed so that the label is in front, placed in long neat rows.

2. The pool table, poker table, big TV, Sci-Fi DVD's (such a MAN place).

3. Socks arranged by color in the drawer (OCD?)

4. Before I came he didn't really cook (does now), so based on that experience the LACK OF ACTUAL FOOD.

:D Can we say bachelor pad?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:30 pm

yeah... though I think the beers in fridge with label "just so" is a bigger OCD indicator than the socks are...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:51 am

NaNo Nano Nano... not gonna happen.

I shouldn't say that. Blue bought me a nice little notebook for Nano so it looks as if its gonna be a long-hand month or nothing. I never have time to sit at my computer anymore so... between classes I will work on my story.

Its funny how the prospect of doing something that I really love to do can seem so... forbidding.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 am

AHEM! as your mentor who also has no time, i must step in and say GET WRITING FOR NANO!!! ;)
Behind the Press

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm

I don't want to write a paper. But I will.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:35 pm

Heck, who WANTS to write papers for school?
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:52 pm

I finished!

Now on to CNF paper... :roll:
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:49 am

You know I'm starting to see why nobody liked my POV a long time ago.

Cuz it kinda sucked.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:14 pm

I GOT AN A- ON MY CNF PAPER!

Mr. Hot Teacher had some nicely chosen comments for it too. I'll probably post it later, but it made my mom cry for some reason so I guess its good... :?
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Your writing made somebody cry??? Stating the obvious -- maybe that's 'cause it's reallllyyy good.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 pm

One can only hope, C275...

Mr. Hot Teacher gave me an assignment... to do an editorial on some slight misfortune that affects the school... I have the names of 2 people to interview, and I need to find an angle. No, I need to understand the TOPIC.

Everybody else gets to do a movie review :roll:
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:49 pm

you dont necessarily have to interview people to write an editorial, but it will help for you to understand the issue better.
Behind the Press

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:50 pm

Its a staff issue at HCC... something about the surveys they make us do for teachers... I'm sure what the complaint is exactly but I guess somebody raised the issue to Mr. Hot Teacher, and for some reason I can't just pull a movie review out of my ass.... he's actually going to make me WORK, because he said the school paper needs an editorial about it.

Oh, sure. Ask the student who's schedule you f&*%ed up :roll:

But that's for another blog lol.

It's kind of a compliment I guess. I mean, at least that's how I want to take it :wink:
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:12 pm

I need ideas for a feature story. Something interesting that I can write and not fall asleep at the computer while doing. But I'm running out of topics... you guys have a pretty good idea of stuff I like to write so... and suggestions you have, throw 'em my way :)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Look at the newspaper and magazine features and do your own take on them. Depends upon how serious a feature you want to do.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:21 am

what is the feature for? what's your market?

features are everywhere, tho. look around. see something interesting? there's probably a feature there. interesitng people, interesting places, everything has potential!
Behind the Press

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”