Hyker's Trail Mix

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:38 pm

It's only plagarism if you don't give the person credit. . . how Hyker gives Kal credit is up to him. personally, i'd want at least a case of beer if someone was gonna steal my marketing plan. ;)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:43 am

Excerpt from my blog on www.HykersTrails.com :

I found myself sitting alone in a theater at 10:00 this morning. As I munched on some popcorn and watched the Fandango puppets dance around on the screen, I pondered the odd phenomenon of how it is that I find myself places I never planned to be. Usually I can credit this phenomenon on my wife, Pooh, but today she was at work, so I couldn't pin it on her.

So how did I get there? It's not like I had it in my head to wake up and run to the local thater to buy a ticket and a bucket of popcorn so early in the morning just to watch a scary movie. Even as I write this I think that's unnaturally weird. Then it hit me...

It was the muse.

She often leads me down paths I never thought I'd travel when I am in the middle of writing a story--she's doing that right now, in fact, in Crossing Boundaries. I keep trying to get my main character to a certain point, and he just takes off to some other location instead, yet I never gave him permission to stray like that.

It is the muse--that guiding force for all things creative--and now she had invaded my real life and led me to a movie theater. What wasI to do? I could only give in for fear of offending her and driving her away. I've learned that when the muse takes you by the hand and leads the way, it is best to just shut your mouth and follow along. And so if she wants to drag me to see a movie, I see a movie. For it is a great and wonderful thing when she visits me, and, as long as she is around, I will ask her to stay a while and help me with the novel.

I can only be thankful that she doesn't like butter on the popcorn. It wreaks havoc on my sensitive stomach.
:-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Hyker » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:16 pm

More work on Crossing Boundaries. I've been maintaining my goal of at least 500 words a day, but ran into an issue with character development. I'm almost 1/2 way through the first draft, but I've decided to break one of my rules by going beck to do some editing. I felt I needed to in order to get the story back on track because it's changed dramatically from the orignal concept. That's a good thing though. :)

I wrote more about this on my blog at Hykerstrails.com which I've also been working on and updating. I added a poll section and made it more interactive by adding a comments section in the blog. We'll see how that goes. Honestly, I don't want the website to become too work intensive to the point it takes away from my writing. So I am adding slowly and carefully. But I did want some feedback other than what I've been getting via emails.

OK, I'm done trying to find other things to do other than work on the novel. The procrastination break is over. Back to the writing. :-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:25 pm

(My 2 cents) Hyker, if you're looking at your blog as a marketing device don't hide it from anybody... as it is you probably should have an excerpt of the latest post to it pop up somewhere on the front page of the site as it isn't as obvious that it's been updated unless you go click to blog and look for a new entry (pop over to www.jamieford.com to take a look at his struggling author site... I think he does a really good job of updating info and blog posts and having links to his stories and such, though it's still a work in progress I think).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Thanks, Charles. I agree and took your advice. I added some content to the front page so visitors can see immediately when there are updates, so they don't have to keep fishing through the entire site.

I think most sites are works in progress, don't you think? If you have any other ideas or suggestions, let me know. You are the guru of webdesign. :)

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:40 pm

I like the new look (and yes, almost all sites are works in progress... expect wordtrip to update once in a while too).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:28 am

Well, I have been keeping up with the website and it seems to get some attention...I only hope the attention eventually comes from agents, editors, or anyone else that might be able to give me a nudge toward publication. If nothing else, it keeps my creativity up.

I am about 1/2 way through the first draft of Crossing Boundaries. It is a definite experience to write a novel like this one. I have never ventured outside my usual short humor stories, and one attempt at a third person POV horror novel (which never made it beyond page 65...but there is still hope.) For all you out there, I highly recommend experiencing the range of emotions that go into writing a novel. It's entertaining as well as educational as a writer.

For instance, I was in Borders the other day, writing a chapter that was ridiculously poignant to me. I felt tears begin welling up before I realized I was in a public book store. In order to avoid the possible call to the police to report that there was an emotionally disturbed man in the coffee shop area, I was able to choke that emotion down. I also wrote a particularly funny scene that actually made me laugh out loud to myself. Again, I was in Borders at the coffee shop.

I wonder how long they will let me go in there and continue typing away on Lappy with a Latte while I go through alternating mood swings, freaking out their customers? I might have to start going to B&N for a while. :-D
Last edited by Hyker on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 am

Maybe they'll be proud to say "I knew him when....."
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:55 am

I know WE will be proud to say that... especially if he wears Wordtrip t-shirts to all his book signings :D

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:20 am

Good thinking, Charles! :-D Onward and upward, Hyker!!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:38 pm

. . . and we want PERSONALIZED autographed copies of your best seller. :-D
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Heck, I still live in the same city and just want to MEET him! I met his partner in "crime" already...
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am

LOL, we will meet one day An. I need to prove I really do exist. :-D

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:39 am

Maybe he's like Batman or Superman. He's got a secret identity he's got to hide. Heck you could already know him but not know him because "Hyker" is his secret identity. Maybe he's that guy sitting next to you. 8-[
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm

There's a guy sitting next to me? *Frantically looks around the apartment.* Hyker is a ninja? :shock:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:15 pm

You have a ninja in your apartment? :shock:
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Can't ninjas employ the power of invisibility?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:32 pm

then how would you know a ninja was there?
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:24 pm

You said there was a guy sitting next to me. I couldn't see anyone, so I presumed they were invisible. Since ninjas are the only real people ever to have used this technique, I guessed that it was a ninja you were talking about.

BTW: How did you know someone was sitting next to me?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:31 pm

Anblick wrote:BTW: How did you know someone was sitting next to me?

hee hee you don't want to know. :naughtygrin: And by the way you should really clean out your refrigerator once in a while. :shock: :D
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Hmmm...why is it that this time of year always means a slow down in writing for me? I've been away from CB for almost a month now and neglecting my website as well. It isn't the holidays, because they aren't upon us yet. It just seems like this becomes a really busy time that takes away from my writing, and reading.

Kal is experiencing the same thing and seems to think the weather has something to do with it. I disagree. Sure, the colder weather makes me eat more chocolate and things not good for me, but it shouldn't affect my writing.

I'm going to get back to it. I am. Honest.

First I need another chocolate chip cookie. :-D

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 pm

doesnt the shrink wrapping kick into high gear at this time of year?
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:11 pm

xcheck24 wrote:doesnt the shrink wrapping kick into high gear at this time of year?

I think you're missing the point... he has cookies and he's NOT SHARING [-(

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:17 pm

psssh. ive got my own cookies. you just are cookieless.
Behind the Press

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:20 pm

I thought he said he was Oscar, not Cookie Monster?

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”