Hyker's Trail Mix

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:19 am

way to go kal! :D
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:46 am

Great news, Kal! What's the genre? Keep up the pressure! :-D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:14 pm

Wow. It's been almost a year since I posted in my personal and six months since I posted in my writing blog. I think I should toss in a short one since I seem to be sitting here with nothing better to do now anyway.

Hmmm..what have I accomplished in the past year? Well, I almost finished the novel of short humor stories, one of which will be published next spring (the story, not the novel).

I finally taught myself to type the right way and not the hunt and peck method that served me so well for so many years. Pro--I can type and not look at the keyboard. Con--I make more mistakes if I do look at the keyboard.

I experienced my first conference and met with several novelists and agents. I pitched my novel to 3 agents and all showed interest and asked for a sample of the ms. ( I highly recommend conferences )

I learned a hard lesson that short story collections aren't marketable unless you already come to the table with a following of readers. In other words, it's back to getting a foot in the door with magazines before trying to sell this novel.

I am currently working on a horror novel that I WILL finish by December and have ready by the time the next conference comes along. I have learned so much about the writing business, and concluded that the number two rule is that there is no creedance to the belief that one day an agent will magiacally appear and sign me to a three book deal at the largest publishing house. The #1 rule is to keep plugging along...hard work and perserverance will eventually pay off.
(finding out that agents don't respond to my writing as well as my mother is like hearing for the first time that there is no Santa Clause) Shocked

I also came to the realization that even with all of the ups and downs associated with my writing career, I still hold the same passion as when it all began. I regret nothing.

There it is in a nutshell. Now I think I will go and write some more and then go see War of the Worlds. :-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Hyker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Man, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've stopped in to check on things and see how people are coming along in their own relentless pursuit of writing success, but I really haven't posted in a while.

I've had a couple small successes since then and there is still progress. I've attended a couple conferences and learned a TON of stuff. There is so much to the writing game, besides just writing, but all that means is more time taken away from the actual act of sitting down and writing. The marketing and business side of becoming a paid writer is a never-ending challenge.

I did make a trip to talk with the editors of Evergreen Press. They recently published a story of mine and I wanted to meet them in person and get their take on what the expectations were and how to really break in to magazines. It was scary and interesting all at the same time. They were very willing to help, and asked me to submit more work to them.

I've also been getting good comments sent to them on the story in their current issue. That goes a long way toward their accepting more of my work too.

I've been working hard to get my website back in action, and have added content and stories. It's a long, arduous process. If you get a chance, feel free to take a look and let me know what you think. The website is linked at the bottom of my posts.

Kal is on the same track as me and also has his new website up and running. He's finished another novel and has interest from editors. He is sending out the manuscript all this week. Wish him luck.

We are both working on new novels, and will have them finished by December....the rough drafts anyway.

In other words, it's the same busy schedule. I have little time to check in with alot of the great people I've met on this site, and that's the downside to being so busy. I am going to make it a point to get in here more often and help where I can with everyone else's journey toward success. We're all in this together. Smile :-D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Mlou » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Hey, Hyker! Missed you and Kal. Glad things are going well and good luck and much success with the new novels. (Mine is being published but because I'm such a computer illiterate and had a lot of commands buried in the text, I have to wait on queue to have them edited out. *sigh*) DO come back more often!!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:43 pm

Thanks for the update Hyker, so glad you're doing well. Best wishes to Kal too (he COULD come and post himself ya know... wink, wink, nudge, nudge :P). I'm off to check out the updates to your site now.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks Mlou!

It's nice to be back. Congratulations on being published, that's awesome. :) One thing about WordTrip..once a member, always a member. We always come back.

Charles, I am trying to get Kal back on, he will soon I think. He just has so much on his plate with the marketing of his novel and submissions right now. I am pushing him, as usual, by giving him deadlines. If he doesn't meet the deadlines, he owes me dinners. I hope not to get fed too well, or its off to the treadmill for me.

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:23 pm

so, hyker, does this mean you're back? really?
miss you guys and your insights into writing.
and congrats on all the good fortune for both you and kal.
Behind the Press

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:41 pm

I hope you guys are both really back as you have both really helped me in the past transform stories to the next level!
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome back, I'm glad to be back among the writers here. you guys motivate and inspire me. :) .

excerpt of my blog from Hykerstrails.com--

I have rebuilt Lappy. I made it better...faster...stronger...na na na na na na na na (Six Million Dollar Man sounds).

I haven't actually used it yet, other than the requisite 5 hours of updates and program reloads. But as far as working on it to write more on Crossing Boundaries, I will wait until tomorrow. I think I'm afraid it will stagger a bit then eventually fall over in a lifeless heap...its hard drive still smoking. After all, "Dangit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magician."

I am on page 114 of Crossing Boundaries and it is going as expected. Yes, I expected the blood, sweat and tears. What I didn't expect was the endless confusion over where my character is going. I try to send him one way, but he keeps grabbing the reigns and pulling our wagon the other. The people in the wagons behind ours keep looking at me and wondering if they are following a leader who is getting them lost. I might be. But, like all good leaders, I will maintain an aire of confidence and push ahead. Forward ho!

I read interviews with several other authors who have said that they built the character and then let him (or her) lead them on the journey. I find that kind of scary...and a little nuts, to be honest. But maybe they created more trustworthy chracters. Mine seem to be somewhat on the edge of insanity, so following them is like handing over the asylum keys to the patients, and I'll be the One who Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

So now the big question is, why am I making references to all these 70's era TV shows?
:shock:

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 pm

nothing like a madman holding the reins and leading the pack :helpme:
Is this my reality or yours?
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:26 pm

:-D

Thats why they call it an adventure.

So, I reformatted the Laptop and waited until today to actually put it to use...

It crashed on me again. :cry:

I spoke with an IT Techno-geek who explained what it might be doing and how to possibly fix it, while I nodded my head and tried my hardest to look intelligent. What I heard in my head was, "Blah blah blah...Take it out back and shoot it to put it out of it's misery... blah blah."

Can I have a moment of silence for Lappy? :(

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby LilacWine » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Poor Lappie. My condolences.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm

I'm planing on retiring my lap top. Sending it to the old folks home where all it has to do is play solitaire and mine sweeper.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:01 am

Here is an excerpt from my blog in Hyherstrails.com--

The Lappy saga continues--

After reformatting, I had high hopes that the problem would have been solved. Alas, it was not to be so. (alas??) I was able to type around 500 words before Lappy took a nosedive and erased the work I had not been smart enough to copy. Basically, all of it.

I brought over an IT techno-geek who took Lappy's pulse, shook his head, and gave it last rights. I bowed my head in a moment of silence, weeping for the companion who helped me summon the muse during the low times when all I saw before me was a brick wall constructed of writer's blocks. It was then that a sudden feeling of indignation washed over me. How could people be so callous and be so quick to give up on Lappy. "NO!" I cried, pushing the techno-geek aside and administering a solid chest thump to Lappy. I, for one, would not give up on my friend.

"Dude," the techno-geek said, getting up from the floor and brushing himself off. "You realize that it is, like, a computer, right?"

Okay, so maybe the chest thump was a little melodramatic, but the feelings were still the same.

I will not give up on Lappy, he will live again!

Stay tuned for more...

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:33 am

I hate "to be continued" when I get hooked in a story. Guess I got to pop in on your website.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:37 am

hyker, I hope you turn the adventures of Lappy into a story. It's good stuff!
Behind the Press

Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 pm

I'd like to have a happy ending to the Lappy story. I'm still working on reviving it. The second reformat took place this morning and now I will spend the rest of the day trying to coax it to life.

I will update as I know more... :wink:

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Hyker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Latest Blog entry-

I wanted to go to Borders and drink a coffee while working on La...L... I can't even bring myself to say the name. The realization that my writing companion is gone hit me full force when I walked into the den to grab my flash drive and head to Borders. Poop. Now what do I do?

I sat by the mailbox waiting for the postal deliverer to bring me my new Lappy II, but since I only ordered it yesterday, I figured I'll have to be more patient than that. Besides, my butt was starting to sizzle on the thermo-nuclear heated pavement.

So, I headed into the air conditioned house and started reading my newest edition of The Writer magazine. I was half-heartedly skimming an article when the muse snuck up behind me and hit me in the head with a terrific idea for Crossing Boundaries. It's going to mean some major rewrites, but I think it is going to really invigorate the story line.

Filled with renewed enthusiasm for the project, I raced to the desktop and engaged myself in a game of HALO.

Hey, Give me a break, I'm still in mourning for Lappy.

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby LilacWine » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:40 am

I hope Lappy II serves you as well as the original. Now get to work before your muse wanders off as they are so prone to do when ignored.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 am

I've had a few visits from my muse, but my game of choice is Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox Live. :D
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:18 am

I'm liking the new blog Hyker... it's amusing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:14 pm

Well, I'm a full 40,000 words into my novel "Crossing Boundaries". Kal has been busy working on his marketing strategy for "Bone Hill" and it makes me wonder how writing and having a book published became so difficult.

It's not like I imagined where all I needed to do was write a book and send it out to a publisher, who would read it, accept it (of course), pay me a large advance and turn it into a huge movie deal. Then I would drive around from talk show to talk show in my new Lamborghini while my agent scheduled a lunch with Stephen King....but I digress.

Nowadays, it seems the author needs to come up with things like a platform and a marketing strategy. Isn't that what my agent would be getting his 15% to do? It takes so much away from the simple act of writing, IMHO.

I guess I need to work on a platform (I explain in my newest blog entry at www.hykerstrails.com ). I sure hope Kal gets his marketing plan done quickly so I can copy it.

Hey, no one said I can't cheat. :-D

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:20 pm

But would that be plagiarism?
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:25 pm

Only if he can prove it. :wink:

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”