pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:46 pm

pengwenn wrote:Why am I such a slow writer? Why do my ideas take so long to develop into something that can actually be put on paper? I've tried setting deadlines but they don't seems to help but only hinder. Nanowrimo was a perfect example. Somehow I thought this time it would be different. I tried to post my contribution to an older challenge only to find the challenge has been archived. I felt stupid for not getting anything done sooner while the thread was still available but I'm just so dame slow. I know I'm a slow reader. I always say it's because I want to savor every word. I've always felt self-concious about that. But being a slow writer I took pride in. I took time to let my ideas form into coherent thoughts before blindly putting pen to paper. Now though it's starting to bother me. What can I do?

hey we all write at different speeds... and sometimes at different speeds at different times (wait... I think I just confused myself). You made it further in NaNoWriMo than I did... sometimes it takes time, sometimes it takes superhuman effort to turn off the internal editor, sometimes you just can't get the words out any faster... that danged muse is stubborn and wants things done on his (or is it a her) terms.

Oh... and the thread hadn't been archived... it was just that nobody ELSE bothered to post to it for so long it dropped to the back page of the challenges (and our mods have been good about getting NEW challenges up... so the old ones don't stay in sight as long... good reason to go find the old ones I think...)

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:45 pm

charlesp wrote:Oh... and the thread hadn't been archived... it was just that nobody ELSE bothered to post to it for so long it dropped to the back page of the challenges (and our mods have been good about getting NEW challenges up... so the old ones don't stay in sight as long... good reason to go find the old ones I think...)

Okay it is totaly justifiable to call me stupid. :oops: I didn't see the back page. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The NEW challenges are good but since I'm such a slow writer by the time I get to the NEW challenges they will be OLD challenges. I've got a goal (not that I'll ever stick to it) to write on 2-3 challenges a week. I don't think I'm up to the 6 absolutely wonderful challenges we get each week now...but eventually. I hope.
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:26 pm

Have you ever had the feeling after looking at something you wrote and not remembering that you actually wrote it? I did a PIM today and stumbled on my last PIM entry:

Hear the laughter of pretentious destiny.
Feel the echoes of subconscious tears.
Cherish the broken mirror of innocence.
Life is the reflection of fools.

I only have the vaguest whisp of a memory of writing that but I can't remember what mood I was in. I do like the last line, but the others feel....well...stuffy...snobish...preachy. I wonder what kind of mood I was in that day.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:05 pm

From the Quote box on the home page:

"A man is known by the company his mind keeps." -- T.B Aldrich

With all the loopy characters I have running around in my head I wonder what that says about me? I just added 3 more today: a relative of a murdered victum, the serial killer and a juror who convicted him.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:43 pm

Yeah, PW...sometimes I find something I hardly remember writing and I may have one of two reactions: Wow, that was pretty darn good. or:
OMG!! Yuch!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Just so I don't lose track of my new year resolutions I'm posting them here as well. I'm getting old, who knows how long I'm going to remember what they are.

1. Write and finish 8-10 stories in 2005 (February might be a bust and November & December are pretty hectic so it's too much to do 1 story a month)

2. Finally submit something professionally. (Don't know what or where yet but I have a year to do it in.)

3. In even numbered months write/post something for Word Trip challenges on odd numbered days M-F and vice versa for odd numbered months. Challenges are not date specific. (I always have to have a goal that makes me think about it everyday.)

That's seems enough for me. Good ahead and hold me to it and get on my case if I don't produce.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:17 pm

It would take me so long trying to remember if I was supposed to post on an odd month and an even day, or vice versa that everything would grind to a halt. You've got to keep it simple for us intellectually challenged folks.

PS No you don't have a year to do it in! Do it now!
Look over what you've got and get something in the mail. The sooner you do, the sooner you can entertain expectations of a reply. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:24 pm

Mlou wrote:It would take me so long trying to remember if I was supposed to post on an odd month and an even day, or vice versa that everything would grind to a halt. You've got to keep it simple for us intellectually challenged folks.

PS No you don't have a year to do it in! Do it now!
Look over what you've got and get something in the mail. The sooner you do, the sooner you can entertain expectations of a reply. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!

It's not hard to remember: odd month, even day or even month, odd day.

Hey PROCRASTINATION is my middle name.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Oddsbodkins!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:16 pm

I wrote in the "keeping the ball rolling" thread of a new system to keep me writing: guilt. During Nanowrimo I started writing how many words I wrote on the days of the calender instead of just checking them off. If I noticed a few zeros I felt guilty and magically found time to write so I could put some kind of number up there. After posting that thread I've decided to analyze and see if there is a pattern or something in those days that I do write.

1. I write every Wednesday. I don't know why Wednesday seem to be productive for me. I guess I better pay attention to how I feel tomorrow and figure out how to carry that over into the other 6 days of the week.

2. I can't go more then 4 days without writing. I've never put up more then 4 zeros in a row, which is probably a good thing.

3. (Related to #2) I write more words after not writing then if I wrote for multiple days in a row. Maybe after not writing for 4 days all that pent up creativity bursts out in one day of production. Even if I write for 3 or 4 days in a row I never seem to write as much as I do the day after 4 days of zeros. Does that mean I'm an 'inspired' writer...only writing when I'm inspried. I hope not. I'd like to be able to sustain a writing habit even if I'm not creativity 'inspired' at the moment.

4. On average (so far this month) I write 150 words a day. Not great, but at least it's something. I figured that in order to write a 150,000 word novel it would take me about 2.75 years to do it. And that would only be the first draft. bummer

I think I'm going to keep this up through next year. It's a good reminder to keep writing and I love writing big numbers down (like 1,015 for yesterday :D ) although the zeros suck. :(
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:40 pm

Apparently I have a fondness for the word 'that'. When I was writing my Gilded Castle story for the Picture Perfect prompt I noticed that (there it is) I use the word 'that'...a lot. I had to go through it carefully because it's like an invisible word to me. I'm sure I missed a few, but I've got to start being more aware of it in the future.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:20 am

I don't think I write stories. I think I write scenes. The last couple of things I've written seem to be only brief scenes, moments in time, snapshots. No plot...big problem. I think I've always written that way but now I'm starting to notice it. Plot has never been a strong thing for me or anything I've been interested in. I think I'm going to need some help with this. Any suggestions?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:53 am

pen..but look at it this way..string a series of scenes together and you got a story...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:48 am

But shouldn't characters be doing something? I like the internal struggles of characters but there should be more to the plot then just that.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:56 am

I think if you have good strong characters they'll almost tell you where they're going themselves. And the prevailing "wisdom" is that the character is supposed to develop (or degenerate, depending upon plot) from beginning to ending.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 pm

Mlou...I think you are right the stronger the characters the more the drive the action...sometims they can almost write the story
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:02 pm

MUST....WRITE....TODAY....
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:09 pm

go Pengwenn go!!! :) Make a small goal to write at least one complete sentence... or if you're feeling ambitious a whole paragraph but write something!! :) :wink:

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:21 pm

okay how's this:

"It was a dark and stormy night."

There, one sentence complete. (You didn't say it had to be original....or any good. :D )
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:28 pm

Sorry, PW, but Snoopy has that one sewn up. :D

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:31 pm

Isn't there some advice that tells new writers to imitate their favorite writers until they find a voice of their own? Well...... :-P
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:46 pm

Well, you've chosen an eminent role model. 8)
Did you know I used to write some of those Snoopy greeting cards for Hallmark?

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:18 pm

Mlou wrote:Well, you've chosen an eminent role model. 8)
Did you know I used to write some of those Snoopy greeting cards for Hallmark?

That's great! How was it? I could never do that. I get desenitized to greeting card messages just trying to pick out one for someone's b-day.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Yeah, some of them are the sicky-sweet pits. But I wrote the studio and humor cards and loved doing it.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:11 pm

can we get a best of Mlou collection?

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”