pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 am

New Year Resolution:

Write one poem and one short story a month for Wordtrip.

That's 30 days (give or take) to come up with an idea, write it out and post it. Don't expect perfection. And don't expect it on the first. At least not right away. Thanks or blame to Saphyre for the inspiration and nudge.

I wrote a poem recently (a poor attempt at one anyway), but I can't remember when. Maybe this month, maybe last. I'll have to see.
Is this my reality or yours?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

I wrote one after I went to bed last night. Trouble is, I never remember my great works when morning comes.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I hear you Mlou. They have voice recognition software programs so shy not a dream recognition software progrem. Something to record all those dreams and flashes of brilliance we all seem to have just before we nod off to sleep.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:40 am

So I posted a poll on my gaming blog about how often they thought I should post entries. You see, I get really good ideas to write about but then I never take the time to sit and write them down. My blog has been slacking the last couple of months (along with every other thing writing related). I figured if I can a commitment with my reader (what little there are) then I would be more up to getting it done. They voted and now I have to post 3x a week. Sounds doable. Any writing is good.

My computer at home died. Sort of. My monitor wouldn't come on so I thought it was dead because I could hear the computer turn on. After some testing my brother found out that my monitor isn't dead at all. It may be my video card slot on my motherboard. Or the motherboard itself. I've had that computer set up for 7.5 years and it's been good to me. I'm going to have to buy another computer but I've got to wait until I get my tax return back. Until then it's very hard to write at home at nights and on the weekends. I use to find it relaxing and inspiring to write long hand, but after using a computer so much I just can't seem to go back to that type of writing.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Long hand??? AAAAGH! I'd never get anything done. Truthfully, I don't know how all you folks have time for blogs. They just steal time away from your "real" writing...and maybe that's why writers have them. Another excuse not to write! :-D

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:12 pm

But I am writing . . . it's just not "creative" writing. Okay, so some of it is. A writer's got to take some license every now and then even if writing about real life experiences. As long as I don't go tauting my blog as a memoir I think I'll be okay. :)
Last edited by pengwenn on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm glad I inspired you Penn. I've noticed you are around more... but then we all are. I know January was a hard month for me writing wise, but now I've managed to be on here at least once a day for about a week. And isn't that how writing goes? Good spells and bad spells?
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 am

If it's good spells and bad spells, then I'm in a VERY, VERY, VERY bad spell right now. If I want to get a decent night's sleep that only leaves me 4 to 4 1/2 hours after I come home from work. If you figure that I've got to exercise the dog, cook, eat and clean up dinner, unpack, clean house, pool or yard, or do minor repairs around said house it doesn't usually leave a whole lot of time for other things. I couldn't imagine having kids to look after as well. Of course if I was married some of the chores could be split up so that might give me a little more time. Even my gaming has taken a hit since I moved into my house.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:30 pm

Dog? You reminded me of this cute spot. Maybe you could train your dog for this, pengie.
http://www.familytiez.com/video/gin.htm

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:32 pm

PS...Okay, it's now the end of March. Where may we read the poems for Jan, Feb, & Mar, as per your above resolution? (Do you hear the sound of a whip cracking?)

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Hear the sound and feel the sting. :cry:

You would think a poem with just a few words would be easier to write instead of a story with a lot of words, but you're wrong. I could be like every other "avant garde" poet I met in college and just throw any ol' slop up on the screen and call it poetry, but I don't think that would fly with you Mlou.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeah, I go for those about the way I always went for the artsy folks who would murmur in ecstasy over a blank white canvas entitled "White On White". Who do these jokers think they're kidding? Actually, a lot of them...painters and poets...do seem to pull the wool over art committees. It makes you wonder about the intelligence of those committees. *sigh*

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 am

Creative thoughts seem foreign to me right now. Everytime I think I'm starting to get an idea it's like "eh, so what?" and then it's gone. Nothing motivates me either. I'm stuck in the mundane and I'm starting to feel like there's nothing wrong with that. :(
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 am

I have a blog where I write about playing video games and I love posting to it. Or I should say I use to love posting. I haven't posted anything there since May 29th and my friends who read it regularly are starting to harass me about it. The truth be told, I haven't been in the mood to write anything lately. And I loved writing on my gamer blog. If something funny or interesting happened at night while playing one of my friends was sure to say "you know she's gonna blog about this tomorrow". There's been things that have happened, unfortunately I haven't blogged about them. Hopefully this is just a phase.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 pm

I don't know if I'm truely writing again but I have tried to contribute a poem or two for the month challenge. I will admit that it is getting a little easier each time but I'm not rushing out to write an epic poem or a novel just yet.

But there is something that is bottering me about my challenge contributions. I can't seem to get past the rhyme and meter structure of a poem. Especially the meter. I get locked into the rhythm of the first line and I can't shake it. Things then have to match that even if it wasn't my intention to begin with. Maybe it's a crutch of a noobie.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Okay, so I haven't been keeping up with the daily poetry challenge, but I have contributed 8 poems so far which is 8 more than I novrmally write a month. One side effect is that my creative juices are flowing again and I WANT to write something more meaty. So I clicked on a favorite that I haven't been to in months (possibly years) and checked out what writer's Digest's site had to offer.

I played around a bit and vowed to come back later when I had more time than just browsing. But I clicked on the prompts section and this prompt came up:

You and a friend break into your neighborhood swim club late one night to go for an after-hours dip. While splashing around in the pool, you go into shock when a dead body floats to the top. Worse yet—it's someone you know. Write this scene.

I don't know why this prompt jumped out at me but I immediately thought of the first line and how the story would go. You can post your responses on WD's site but you have to keep it under 500 words. I'm not sure mine will turn out that short. I haven't written it yet but the idea is still fresh in my mind and I might give it shot later day (I wrote the first line down immediately so I wouldn't forget it).

At least I'm writing again. Or trying to anyway.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I let my subscription to Writer's Digest lapse awhile ago. (Does that make me a bad person?) Now I'm getting all the "sign up again and save" letters. I've subscribed for well over 12 years. But how many times can you read/write an article about the best way to show characterization in a story? Or keeping surprises in your plot? And lately, I was starting to find the articles more about "look at me, I did this" instead of "you can do this" type of advice. Maybe it's just me.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm in a little pickle of a spot. Mainly because I haven't experienced this before. I have an idea for a poem and I kind of have a blue print for it (like plotting for a story) but they way I want to write it is far beyond my capabilities at the moment. I'd like to write the idea out in a Shel Silverstein, whimsy, rhymed verse. But I'm realisted enough to know that I wouldn't come close to that aspiration. And anything less would almost be a failure to me. I've rarely ever had a whole poem in my head prior to writing it down. Usually it's just a flow of words and images until I get something coherent (or at least I hope so). This time it's almost fully formed in my head, but just not coming out. It will be called "An elf in the ear".
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

The same process can still apply, Pengy: scribble it down anyway you can, then go back and hone it until it is in the shape you want
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Go for it, Pengy. Get the gist of it down while it's in your head.

I stopped renewing my Writer's Digest some years ago. After a while it seemed just repetition and not very interesting at that. I had removed and filed many of the older articles that were good lessons in the basics. It's the same with women's mags that i got for years and years. I've read them all before, it seems, and how many recipes can there be anyway? They too repeat themselves ad nauseam. lol

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 am

I'm still going to browse WD in the magazine racks at the book store. If there's anything useful in an issue then i'll consider buying it.

But guess what? I've got an idea for a story. Vague at best. I got inspired after a couple of days of feeling "off". It all started with my internal clock. I'm usually spot on to what time it is without having to look at a clock (I also don't wear a watch). But lately I've been 12-13 minutes off. I lay in bead and wake up 12 minutes before my alarm goes off. Or the other day I was laying on the couch after work and told myself to get up by 7pm. After a while I figured it was 7 but when I looked at the clock it was 6:47. what is happening to me that I can't tell time internally anymore? Who's messing with me. And that is my idea. well, actually there's a little more to it than that, but I wouldn't want to spill the beans too early......or would that be too late? :wink:
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm

It's great when that little light bulb goes on over your head!
Maybe your body doesn't want to adjust to Daylight Saving Time??

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:22 pm

We don't change times here in AZ. Believe me, you DO NOT want the sun up any longer than it has to be around here. Although it makes it a little difficult to remember if family/friends in other states are now a hour ahead, behind or even.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 am

"I met death today. He was hungry."

The first two lines of a story I'm brewing . . . unfortunately the climax idea is very weak at the moment. The story is actually bits and pieces of several ideas that have never played out on their own. Is that a good thing?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Can be.

On the other hand, if you knew a joke and couldn't remember the punchline, but you remembered a punchline from another joke you couldn't remember ... not sure you could put them together ...
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”