pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:10 pm

I left my disk with my NaNoWriMo story on it at home. :cry: All this creative energy and no where to put it.
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am

I feel like there's a hollowed out blackness where my imagination use to be.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 pm

so write about it
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:46 pm

it's black . . . and hollow.

The end.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Oh, c'mon . . . I know angst-ridden pseudo Goth emo kids who could write THAT . . .

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:22 pm

and have... 3000 times

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:42 pm

. . . and made a hit album out of it, and sold 3 million copies . . . geez, I'm depressing myself here . . .

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm

But I'm not a angst-ridden pseudo Goth emo kid. I'm an aging dreams-unfulfilled office drone.
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:15 pm

pengwenn wrote:it's black . . . and hollow.

The end.

My version included the words "infinite void" also...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Okay this just ticked me off. A girl won a contest for Hanna Montana tickets (plus air fare to NY to see the show) by writing an essay saying her father died in Iraq this year. The problem was it wasn't true. What gets me the most is the mother's response:

mother wrote:"We did the essay and that's what we did to win," Priscilla Ceballos, the mother, said in an interview with Dallas TV station KDFW. "We did whatever we could do to win."

Is this what our society is coming to? Fake essays? Should I be surprised? What lesson is the mother teaching her daughter. "It's okay to lie if it gets you what you want?" Things like this just set me off. Not to mention how much faith people are going to have in the written word after stunts like this.

Girl won Hannah Montana concert tickets with fake essay
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 am

Okay, who ever said people are their most creative in the morning are a bunch of wackos. If I find it hard to figure out how to get dressed in the morning how am I suppose to be creative and write? Obviously I'm not a morning person.
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 pm

I think the most important lesson I've learned, pengwenn, in all the reading of "how to books" and actual writing is that you, as The Writer have to allow yourself to just write crap; Absolute, unadulterated CRAP.The brilliance comes in the re-write stages. I use to think my writers block came from not having anything to write about, but it came from thinking I had to write something brilliant the first time out of the gate. Very few people can be brilliant the first time, or close to it.

Mudge might be in that group, but I'm not sure...Mlou, I think must have graduated at the top of the first time class.
Chin up...you have lots to talk about...just write like you talk to find your unique voice. :shock:
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Since I haven't written anything creative in a long time it's pretty rough right now. I likened it to pulling teeth without the novicaine. I'm working on a story for the "What if you described snow?" challenge. Believe it or not I actually don't have any ideas about these challenges until long after I post them.

With thiis challenge I was only going to do a paragrah because I could see the image in my mind of the snow I wanted to describe. Unfortunately I had to find the words that went with that image and that took awhile. Once I figured out the words I knew I had to have a context for the description. And that led me think that I had to have a full and complete story. So even though I had my initial idea a couple of weeks ago I'm finally trying to put it all down on paper. Not because I think it's fermented long enough, but that I just want to get this idea out of my head so I can think of other things. Besides I think it'll be much harder to picture snow when it's 110 degrees outside in a couple of months. Hey, it's not going to be much, but at least I'm writing something.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:56 am

A more (semi)formal blog post on writing.

On the verge of greatness

No I'm not saying I just signed a six figure deal for my first book. Although that would be great. I'm talking about that feeling you get that you need to sit down and write, right now. You know that if you do it's not only going to be good whatever you write is going to be great.

But before you do you decide to get yourself something to drink. You wouldn't want to interrupt the brilliant flow of words by a parched mouth. But by the time you pull a glass out, pull the milk out, fill the glass and put the milk away you get the feeling that something is missing and your writing just won't be right until you figure that out. But what could be missing? You stare at the glass of milk and then it dawns on you. What goes the best with cold milk? Oreos. After rummaging around in either the cookie jar or the pantry you finally find the Oreos and head off towards your writing space.

But once you get there you realize you don't want cookie crumbs falling into the keyboard so that when you want to type girl all you can type is gi l. So you pack everything back up and go sit at the kitchen table. You sip your milk, dunk your Oreos and you think.

You think about what you're going to do with your characters or the plot or the setting. But you also start to think about how you're going to do that pile of laundry in the corner while trying to cut your electric bill down. You don't want to think about the laundry, you want to think about the story you're about to write. But you have to think about the laundry because you don't think going into work tomorrow half naked is going to compile with the dress code. Once you tell yourself that you'll get up and start a load of laundry before you write to avoid any disciplinary actions at work you start thinking about the bathroom sink that is still slow to drain even though you've used a whole bottle of Plumper on it. Or the fact that you haven't done your taxes yet and you wonder if you're going to get anything back and what you'll spend it on.

Next thing you know you either out of milk or Oreos and you've got a whole list of things you need to do. Do you do everything now or do you sit down to write? When you think about it you realize the moment has past. Everything you would have written if you had put your put in the chair when you first got that feeling would have been good. Anything you write now is going to be terrible. Your hearts not in it because your mind is working on other things. You were on the verge of greatness but now it's past.

I don't know how to get past this other than not fixing a glass of milk before I write. But if it's not the milk and Oreos it'll be something else. Like laundry or taxes. Something small that you think you can do before you sit down to write and yet still have that feeling that's telling you to write right now. And sometimes that feeling comes when you can't do anything about it. Like at work. Or driving.

I know a writer should be able to write in any circumstance or condition and not just when the urge to write comes on. And I'm trying to do that. But it's hard. Especially when you feel the universe aligns into perfect writing conditions and don't want to be unprepared when your throat gets dry. It's a good intention to grab a glass of milk. It just doesn't always have the best results in the end. So if you ever find yourself on the verge of greatness just sit down and write. You'll be so caught up in the flow of writing you probably won't even notice your throat is dry unless you try answer the phone. But you wouldn't do that now, would you?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:17 pm

I got a kick out of this Pen!

I can so relate... especially when it comes to exercise. I can relate with the writing... definitely, but while I was reading I was also thinking about how last night I told myself that I was going to get on the treadmill when I got home the next day. I still have time... I know that... but I'm sure I can find something else to do... besides watch my waist line get larger and larger.

I am doing a little writing lately, but nothing like it was a few years ago when four or five stories fell out onto the keyboard; but were never finished.

That's my problem!!! And that's why I started the blog-story-like-thingy. I'm just writing like I'm the character making a journal of my life and it seems to be working somewhat... until today when I didn't know what the hell to write.

One of my biggest faults is to outline my book. I love to outline things because it helps tremendously... except for the fact that an outline sometimes represents the whole story in my mind. It's like when I look at the movies I have to watch, read the title and in 15 seconds I've watched the movie in my mind. Uuuugh.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 am

I know how you feel. But it's not like I'm trying to avoid writing. I want to do it. I just want to do it right by putting myself in a position that nothing will interfer with the whole magically process. Of course by the time I work that out I'm not really in the mood to write any more. And as far as exercise goes I deliberately try to avoid that as much as I can.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Guess what? I just wrote a story. I should have left work a half hour ago but I wanted to stay and finish it up while it was still in my mind. Almost 3,000 words too.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed May 07, 2008 11:02 am

DISASTER HAS BEEN AVERTED!!!

The whole nation almost just heard me scream. Why? Because I almost lost 3 stories, two of which I'm still working on.

I started another story yesterday and wanted to take it home with me to finish up. The only disk I was carrying was my 'record keeping' disk. I put it on there anyway and left work. I never did sit and get back to the story last night but I did bring a couple of blank disks with me to work today to move a couple of stories over. I selected the stories from the first disk with the "cut" option. When I put the second disk in it said I couldn't complete the transaction. Something about the source disk. So I decided to paste the files on my hard drive and move them from there. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me paste them. I thought I was screwed.

Because I used "cut" instead of "copy" I figured those stories were gone for good because they weren't showing up on my clipboard. I took a couple of minutes to get my breathing under control and decided to put the first disk back in the drive because there was a file on the disk I couldn't remember anything about. When I opened up the disk those stories were still there. YEAH!!! Apparently when I couldn't finish the function it didn't cut the files. I've lost stories before but I like these two unfinished ones and I don't think I could start from scratch again on either of them. It's at times like this when I consider going back to the old pen and paper method, even if my stories look like one big paragraph that way.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Wow, it's been awhile.

Now that I'm fully into my new house and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be there for awhile I'm starting to relax and want to start writing again. The stress and worry about the whole house hunting/house buying experience I thought would kill my creative energy forever. I just need to get my computer desk set up in my new office and I think I'll be good to go.

Durring this whole process I wasn't keeping up on my gaming blog either. It was nice to hear that my friends missed me making entries. I even picked up a few new readers based on some postings in game forums. Instead of 5 or 6 close friends reading my blog I've now got more people coming over and checking my stuff out. It's nice when you know people like what you write. I'm starting to get back into the blogging now too. I can't believe how much energy the whole house thing sucked out of me. I went about 3 months with only making a post or two a month. My eventual goal is to blog every day in my gaming blog but a more realistic goal is 20-25 posts a month. Now if I could just translate those numbers to fiction writing as well.

I'm really looking forward to trying out some of my own challenges and all the other ones here. I've just a few more things I need to spend my time on at the house for the next little while and I've got to spend time getting caught up at work. Nobody did any of my work while I was out for a week and a half so I've got a lot of things piled up around here.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:54 pm

I did the last major thing to get my office situated for prime writing experiences. I set up my desk. I had to dismantle my computer equipment from the temporary desk I had set up and move it to the other side of the room. When you assemble my desk you have to do it upside down and then flip it over. Not too hard if you've got more than one person, but by myself it takes a little manuevoring to do it. Once the big desk was in place I had to get everything everything back into place. Since I got the computer up and running last night it's just a matter of filling the bookshelf with all my reference books and hanging things on the wall and then I'm good to go. I think my office will be the first room I'll have completely finished setting up and decorated. The front room is set up but it's still got some boxes and artwork laying around that I've got to figure out what to do with. I might have a new home, but eventually I'll have a house.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 pm

I know the feelilng, pengie. Try the "whole house thing" when you're practically senile, if you want a fun experience. We're still recovering from our major interstate move and right now just trying to stay above the falling leaves...billions of the things that have to be raked.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 am

It's amazing what you don't know about a person. I have a friend that I've been playing video games with for at least 3 years, maybe more. He just sent me a pm message on Xbox Live that he's finished the first draft of his novel and he's going to start rewrites soon. Eh? I didn't even know he was writing a novel. Have I told him about Wordtrip? If I didn't know he liked writing would I have even tried? Did he know I like to write? (Even if I haven't written anything in a while.) And, why is everyone else writing a novel except me? And don't get me started on finishing one.

I just feel like I'm on the outside looking in again. Like my dreams are just behind the glass window and all I have to do is walk through the door but for some reason I just can't seem to do it. I'm not exactly brimming with ideas now but I've got a couple floating around in the mists of my brain but whenever I sit down to write it's like the lights go out and my brain goes dark. Instantly.

There's a new year coming up and 'tis the season for setting up promises that you may or may not have any intentions of keeping. But then again maybe 2009 will be the year. My year. Oh, who am I kidding? I just want to remember what it's like to write again. I liked writing. I miss writing.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:09 pm

And the congregation said, "Amen".

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20 pm

and hallelujah for good measure! so we have to put pen to paper, write then repeat? is that my problem???? LOL

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm really really THINKING about writing ... I am. But running two companies (and working for a third) plus having a 2-year-old ... gets tough to find time.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”