pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:09 pm

I'm very late in posting the next to last segment of my Halloween serial. I hurt my back last night (or very early this morning) and I've been in the blissfull world of drug induced sleep until about 4:30 this afternoon. One more segment and then it's nanowrimo. I hope ya like it.

HALLOWEEN SERIAL

PART 1
She sat alone in the darkness. There was comfort in the light, but the darkness held the truth. And the truth would come for her tonight...
PART 2
She nervously twirled her long black hair. How many more times could she endure the beatings and the screaming….
PART 3
The sound of silence filled the night. The pounding of her heart beat faster, her breath quickened. Would she hear the approaching footsteps when they came?
PART 4
An eerie hiss of voices sliced through the silence. The slapping thud of footsteps grew louder, powerful. She would be found. The ritual would begin…again.
PART 5
She closed her eyers and rested her forehead against the splintered wood of a broom. “Please let them pass me by.” But the footsteps stoped. BAM BAM BAM…
PART 6
She walked to the door, hands trembling. She had to stop them from coming back. Get to them before they got to her. Use the element of surprise...
Is this my reality or yours?
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:21 pm

Happy Halloween everybody! And Good Luck to those starting NaNoWriMo tomorrow.

HALLOWEEN SERIAL

PART 1
She sat alone in the darkness. There was comfort in the light, but the darkness held the truth. And the truth would come for her tonight...
PART 2
She nervously twirled her long black hair. How many more times could she endure the beatings and the screaming….
PART 3
The sound of silence filled the night. The pounding of her heart beat faster, her breath quickened. Would she hear the approaching footsteps when they came?
PART 4
An eerie hiss of voices sliced through the silence. The slapping thud of footsteps grew louder, powerful. She would be found. The ritual would begin…again.
PART 5
She closed her eyes and rested her forehead against the splintered wood of a broom. “Please let them pass me by.” But the footsteps stopped. BAM BAM BAM…
PART 6
She walked to the door, hands trembling. She had to stop them from coming back. Get to them before they got to her. Use the element of surprise...
PART 7
Hands trembling, she reached out in the dark and turned the knob on the door. Nervous laughter boiled up inside, looking for a release. One last time…
PART 8 (the end)
She self-consciously checked the wart on her nose and flung the door open with a menacing cackle. They were there, waiting with their piercing cry, “Trick or treat.”
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:45 pm

This is going to be a long month. Both of my wrists are sore and I've only typed 1,832 so far. There is a reason why I usually hand write the first draft. It goes slower and my wrists don't hurt. Of course, if I hand wrote everything for this month then I would never make 50,000 words. Plus I would have to manually count them all.

I also haven't finished the scene either. I figure if I leave off in the middle of a scene that I already know what happens then it will be easier to pick things up tomorrow. The other novels that I've started I've always pittered out on. The whole idea of writing a complete story that big is overwhelming. I'm trying to approach this whole nanowrimo thing from a different angle. I'm only concentrating on the scene at hand. I'm treating each scene just like its own story. This will work on day 1 but will it work on day 25? I'll have to find out.

I'm adding a lot of fluff to the writing too. Gotta pad that word count. It will be interesting to see how many words are actually left after editing.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:03 pm

Okay to keep me motivated here are my daily nanowrimo rewards:

1,000 words = can post on WT
1,500 words = 1 hour of video gaming
2,000 words = SHOPPING

I think writing more than 2,000 a day the only reward could be death...or a really good nap.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:16 pm

I have to admit that yesterday I only wrote 830 words, but I played videos games when I got home. The day was just a disaster that got worse as it worn on. Because my underwriter is gone I don't have new work dumped on me all day. I've been spending my time writing. 20 minutes for nano 20 minutes for work...you know just to keep the boss happy if she walks by. Yesterday I had an off site meeting for 2.5 hours. Only got those 830 words done before I had to go.

After that I went straight to the polls. After waiting in line 2 hours and 15 minutes in the absolutely worst pair of shoes to be standing in line for that long I finally made it up to the front. Of course that included having to wait about 20 minutes in front of the dining room entrance of the "old folks home" where the site was at. And listening to the 2 chatterboxes in front of me talk nonstop for the whole time. When I got up there I told I changed my address a month before the deadline but apparently it didn't get processed, or whatever, with the voting register gods. I had to use a provisional ballot and fill out a bunch of paperwork for that. Another 15 minutes later I turned my ballot in and was told I could check in a few days to see if it was counted. (Apparently they wouldn't count it unless the race was close in the state, or so I was told.)

When I left I ask the lady at the door if I could have one of those "I voted today" stickers. I figured I had deserved it after what I had gone through whether or not my vote counts. She looked me up and down and said "You have to vote to get one". "I did." "Where's your ballot? You have to feed it through the machine." "I had a provisional ballot. I put it in the little box over there where I was told to." "Oh well, I guess if you say so." ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I left tired, sore, angry and exhausted. I got into my car and worked my way out of the rut invested, boulder spued dirt lot I had to park in. I just hope the suspension on my little sedan is okay with the 4 wheeling I did.

Too angry to write, too restless to sit and read so I plugged the PS2 in and kicked some demon but. It felt good.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:28 pm

Bummer! Our polling place had plenty of room, no waiting. Of course I live in the wrong state and my vote never gets 'counted' anyway. But gee, I didn't see any freebie stickers!!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:05 pm

NaNoWriMo has fizzled a bit for me. I'm trying to figure out what health insurance I'm going to have next year. If I keep the same plan my rates go up from $60 a paycheck to $162 a pay check. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Since I'm going to change I've been doing a lot of research into my other options. I'm currently under treatment for my eyes and that is throwing a monkey wrench into everything. Since my future health is more important than my writing now I really shouldn't be writing much until the middle of next week when the annual enrollment process is over. Bummer.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:56 pm

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know)...about what would be the 10 commandments of writing and what a bunch of hooey they are.

1. Write what you know.
How boring would that be? I wouldn't be able to explore space and walk on the moon in my city of Luna Prime. I wouldn't be able to go back in time and ride a chariot hell-bent on out running the opposing army in ancient Greece. I wouldn't hike my way out of a destroyed San Francisco at the end of the world. Writing what you know is Journaling. Writing what you don't know but can image is Fiction.

2. First time writers should use 1st person POV.
What!? I won't be considered for publication if I don't? I knew there was a secret handshake. Come on. Everyone says that it is easier to maintain the proper POV if you write in 1st POV. I don't think it's easier to write that way just easier to see your errors. Telling your story in 1st POV is restrictive. Everything must go through the characters own eyes. Things that he doesn't experience have to be told to him (this leads to another rule). 3rd person gives the writer more control over how they tell the story and isn't writing all about telling the story?

3. First time writers should use their own gender for their main characters.
This is another “don’t try anything else if you’re a first time writer” rule. They tell us to be observant so that we can write any character we want then they tell us to only write our protagonist in our own gender. Supposedly there’s some secret mechanisms in the brain that prevents a first time novelist from writing anything good in the opposite gender until they’ve published several books. How many? 3 or 4? Who knows.

4. First time writers should use their own age as the age of their main characters.
Apparently writing your first novel is all about marking off things on a checklist. 1st POV – check. Female protagonist – check. 34 years old protagonist – check. Anything else? Come on, I want to get this right and have a shot at getting published. What other things do I have to cross off the list? Apparently since I’ve never experienced the age of 65 or retirement I wouldn’t be able to write about it.

5. First novels (although fiction) are autobiographical.
Now this is taking rule #1 a little too far, don’t you think? My first novel could be a young (18 year old) mage apprentice (male) who doesn’t know he’s next in line for the thrown who rescues an elven princess held captive in the dungeons beneath the castle. Must be bound to fail since I’m not a mage apprentice, male, 18 yrs old or next in line for the thrown. And I’m not an elven princess and I’ve never been held captive in the dungeons underneath a castle. Must be a bad story and not worth my efforts for my first novel. Apparently my first novel is about a single 34 woman who works all day in insurance and in a cubicle of pink padded walls and writes, plays video games, watches movies, reads and works out at night. I’ll throw in a few dinner/game nights with the family, a crochet project or two and mix in a couple of nights out with friends. Would you want to read that? If so I have a journal that I could get published.

There are more “rules” than this; it’s just getting too depressing to think of all of them. What ones are you must peeved about?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:44 pm

pen, seeing your word count doesnt make me feel so bad since we're at about the same number....
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:46 pm

Ah, PW, you think "write what you know" doesn't cut it? Read my entry in our short story contest for a laugh. She wrote about what she "knew" and all hell broke loose.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:15 pm

xcheck24 wrote:pen, seeing your word count doesnt make me feel so bad since we're at about the same number....

Glad I could help. :)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:16 pm

I read your story mlou and I loved it. Not much chance of me winning after that piece. You have such a smooth style. Your stories just flow. I'm still trying to find my voice and style. Someday...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:51 pm

Thanks, PW. Had a lot of fun writing that one because I love sly humor. (But it never gets any easier!) :o)

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:30 pm

You know before nanowrimo I looked at my life and said "I've got plenty of free time to write 50,000 words in a month." Now though...."Where did all my free time go."
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:59 pm

hey, pen i hadnt broken 7,000 words until friday night...YOU CAN DO IT! :D
Behind the Press

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:38 pm

10,000 words in a month is still pretty good isn't? It's 10,000 more then when I started. :)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:42 pm

damn straight! go girl go! :D
Behind the Press

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:20 am

I had a fun time writing Labor Pains for the Picture Perfect challenge from a few weeks ago (the truck). It was an idea that came immediately when I saw the photo I was just never sure how to make it believable or at least entertaining. Writing pieces with a bit of humor or ridiculousness in them is not my forte. Sometimes I think my writing is too serious. It was a stretch for me but it was fun trying and knowing I'm not going to get laughed at hysterically. I least I hope so....
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:03 pm

HELP!!! I'M MOTIVATIONALLY CHALLENGED.

I'm not experiencing writers block because I have plenty of ideas to write down. I'm experiencing motivational block. Just sitting down in front of the computer is a drag out fight to get there. Once there I'm thinking "what's the point?" So after awhile I give up and wonder why I ever wanted to write something in the first place. Maybe it's some Holiday blues coming on. Maybe my utter failure with nanowrimo. Maybe I'm just exhausted because I haven't been sleeping more then 6 hours a night and it's been a very trying month. Maybe I'm reading too many books. I just need a kick in the pants or a shot in the arm or maybe 12 hours of uninterrupted blissful sleep.
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:35 pm

i KNOW that feeling...ive hit the NaNo wall!
Behind the Press

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:00 pm

I think I started to get burned out on the nano hype. I was so excited before this month started but things went south rather quickly.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:31 pm

Yeah, but at least you tried!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:00 pm

This holiday was a very, very long weekend. My internet went haywire wednesday night. All of a sudden it started trying to use my old dial up connection instead of my current fast one. I also lost my network settings between my desk top and lap top. Since I'm not tech savy enough to know what's going on it took me a couple of days to figure out the problem. My brother (the computer genius one) is suppose to be coming over to my apt today while I'm at work to fix it. So no internet for 5 days...and counting. It's amazing how hard it is to remember what I did before the internet.

My parents went out of town for turkey day so my single bro & I were on our own for the big food day (my married bro went to his inlaws). We planned on going out for diner but the restaurant we wanted was closed by the time we got there. After driving around for an hour and looking at the places that were open we finally settled on the grocery store. Big whoop. We both stayed at my parents house and played video games all day Thursday and most of Friday. I was kicked out of the house Friday night so my two brothers could throw a male only Halo 2 party. Apparently girls are not allowed to kick but in Halo 2 but Timesplitters and Unreal are okay. Whatever.

My brother originally said that he would come fix my computer on Saturday but he never showed up. You would think that with all day Saturday and nothing to do (I wasn't going to go shopping) I would have written something. Well, you're wrong. I looked around and said I have to do laundry. I have to clean the bathrooms. I have to cleans the floors....you get the picture. I now have a clean apartment but no writing done.

Sunday I just wanted to relax and read. I did and it was great...although no writing got done...again. So much for a productive writing weekend.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:59 pm

Hey, we all need down time once in a while!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:39 pm

Why am I such a slow writer? Why do my ideas take so long to develop into something that can actually be put on paper? I've tried setting deadlines but they don't seems to help but only hinder. Nanowrimo was a perfect example. Somehow I thought this time it would be different. I tried to post my contribution to an older challenge only to find the challenge has been archived. I felt stupid for not getting anything done sooner while the thread was still available but I'm just so dame slow. I know I'm a slow reader. I always say it's because I want to savor every word. I've always felt self-concious about that. But being a slow writer I took pride in. I took time to let my ideas form into coherent thoughts before blindly putting pen to paper. Now though it's starting to bother me. What can I do?

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”