pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:21 pm

Hey I feel like I'm in elementary school again. We just had a fire drill. I was walking across the car court on my way back from lunch when everyone started pouring out of the building. Needless to say since I was way out a head of everyone I got a prime shade spot (a necessity here in AZ) while we waited for the okay to go back in.
Is this my reality or yours?
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:00 pm

we had a fire here once at work...it was over in the circulation area and not over here where the advertising and editorial departments are. so anyways, we're all outside on a beautiful day and the fire department comes and stuff...and one of the editors looks at all us reporters and photographers, "what are you guys standing around for? this is news!" well, it wasnt HUGE news since the fire was tiny...but still i thought that was funny :lol:

we tend to stand and spectate for a moment before we remember we're reporters and need to cover these things...
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:14 pm

I work in insurance so if we had a real fire we'd have bosses yell at the claims examiners to get in there and do a pesonal inspection.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:29 pm

I'd have to get out quick if there was a fire. Can you imagine the tragedy of being caught in a shrinkwrap factory with all that heat?! Well, I guess it would save on the expense of a coffin... :shock:
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:05 pm

I guess if this is going to be my writer's blog I should say something about writing.....um....well...ah...SOMETHING. There I've said something does that count? :D

Doing the PIM and Haiku challenges everyday is kind of taxing on my creative energy. Some times it've easy and some times I take almost the whole day to create crap. But it's my crap so I guess I'm okay with it.

haiku
leaping free with joy
longing to swim the blue sky
whales reach for heaven

PIM
Satanic compassion
or
sweet heavenly blame
guiding me to the gate
a warrior traveling
hellbent to survive

(I like my PIM today. I'm not sure which Gate I'm heading for right now.)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Why isn't anyone doing the Word Count challenge this week? Since I'm the only one who's posted I'm winning. YEAH! \:D/ But the fact that no one else is doing it makes me wonder if there is some kind of mutant virus out there killing off anyone who puts pen to paper or fingers to computer ke...................aaaahhhhh.

haiku
a flip of the tail
gently diving, waves goodbye
through the oceans crest

PIM
Inhale the glittering breeze
See the silken waves beating
the deeply blue sea

Hear the engines of desire
Feel the spray of existance
of crystal heavens found
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:28 pm

i havent been writing anything lately, which is why i havent been doing the word count challenges....
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:18 pm

PIM

a flurry of voices
heralding the arrival
of spring

the chirping of birds
invades the departing
winter morning
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:36 am

haiku:
of azure blue and
darkest night the butterfly
rests from a long flight

PIM:
collecting swords and gauntlets
restoring fantasy
my desire builds
a second time
before tomorrow
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:46 am

I'm not sure if I like my PIM today. I was going for a feeling of reincarnation so I included the last line "before tomorrow" but it doesn't feel right. Oh well, you work with what you've got.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:11 pm

I haven't written much of anything lately. I am going to try the National Novel Writing month contest in November. I'll probably register tomorrow. I've got lots to do today and MUST REMEMBER TO PAY RENT!

haiku
In the jungle's heart
see ripples as the tiger
hunts into the night

PIM
A faithful book in my arms
A deep love of the page
A lost hour on the clock
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

pen to paper (repeat)

Postby pengwenn » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:58 am

I'm finally coming out of my writing funk that I've been in lately and I have Robin Williams to thank. I went out on my lunch hour a couple of days ago to spend money (that usually helps cure any funk) and the tape I was listening to in the car was the soundtrack of the movie Alladin. After listening to Robin Williams play around with the words and the song all this pent up frustration at not being able to get anything out just unknotted and floated away. I was feeling better and I didn't have to spend any money (always a good thing). But since I was already out I figured what the heck and went shopping anyway. That was a doublely good lunch hour even though I didn't get anything to eat.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:25 pm

I'm trying to decide what to do when it comes to my crapy writing. As I'm writing something and I start to realize it's crap and not going anywhere I usually put it aside half finished and don't do anything with it. With the latest bout of writer's block (more insecurity then lack of ideas) I think I might start plowing ahead in the crapy stuff and finishing it anyways. I could always go back and edit it later. Who knows there might be some gems in that crap.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:48 am

I'm going to do the NaNoWriMo challenge this year. I'm a NaNoWriMo virgin so I'm a little intimidated by the whole thing. I'm just going to try and concentrate on writing. Nothing else. I prefer to write the first draft by hand so I'm not sure how I'm going to count all my words yet still have time to write. I think I might try a few first drafts on the 'puter as practice to see how I like it.

My parents are going up to visit my older sister's and brother's families out of state for Thanksgiving so there will be no turkey at mom's this year. I've invited my younger brothers over to my place but I think one of them will spend the day with his in-laws. I think it's the fact that I told them I wasn't going to do a turkey. Maybe spagetti, but no turkey. (I make a divine spagetti, if you like garlic.) If it's just me and my other brother we'll have a small dinner and play video games for awhile then I could spend the rest of the weekend writing. I'm looking forward to that.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:55 am

I'm slowly gearing up for the NaNoWri challenge. I'm forcing myself to work on some of the older challenges here at WT. There are some that don't inspire me at all but I figure I'll encounter a "dead" period in November where I need to write and push through it even if it's crap. Since NaNoWri is like a marathon I'm starting my practice slow. This week it's 300-500 words a day. Next week will be 600-800 words. The last week of October will be 1,000-1,200 words a day...I hope.

I've already written one story this week, but it needs serious retooling. I switched the POV a little about half way through. As I was writing, it felt better to make the change. Instead of stopping and restarting (what I would normally do) I plowed through with the new POV and finished it. That was hard but something I've got to learn if I'm to make it through November.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:50 pm

I just had somebody come by my desk at work and ask if I was going to the "Lunch and Learn" tomorrow. It's a new program at work where the assistants meet together for lunch and listen to a presentation on various things. Tomorrow is "Your Career Path". I told them "Nope, I already have a career path". I didn't tell them that it was as a writer and not in insurance. Oh well, must have slipped my mind. :D
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:04 am

Man I can't seem to get any writing done the second half of the week. I guess too much "real life" stuff creeps in and I can't seem to get to it. I did spend half an hour moving the little words around for the PIM contest friday. I just couldn't find anything I liked. Every piece I placed in a line could have been written by someone else. I know that everyone has the same words but I felt them being forced. I wanted to write something that would have my handprint all over it. Nothing came so nothing got done. I think I need a vacation from life so I can focus exclusively on writing. Not a good mind set to have 2 weeks before nanowrimo.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:00 pm

Getting a little anxious/excited/nervous for nanowrimo next month. I have 3 ideas and I'm not sure which one to use.

1) One I've started and restarted 3 times. It’s a fantasy with elves, dwarves, political intrigue, magic, failure and the consequences, etc. Maybe this 4th time will be the charm.
2) A new idea that has been playing as a movie over and over again in my head. Don't know if it would really work as a fiction piece, movie yes.
3) A Star Wars fan fiction idea that stemmed from the creation of a RPG character development. I don't see the idea as a "novel", as in one continuous story but more of a collection of short stories, maybe a serial piece (like my Halloween serial in my signature)
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:45 am

I want to do nanowrimo but I KNOW I won't have the schedule for it...

I wait in anticapation for more of your Halloween story...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:39 pm

My "Halloween Serial" in my signature is my way of keeping me from getting too excited for nanowrimo in a week. If I start to get worried about "what am I going to write" or "how can I do it" I switch to think of what the next installment is going to be and making it tight as possible. There will be eight (sunday through sunday). The last freightening piece will be that fateful day when... I guess I shouldn't ruin it for ya all. :reading:

Here's a running recap since the signature lines changes on all posts.

PART 1
She sat alone in the darkness. There was comfort in the light, but the darkness held the truth. And the truth would come for her tonight...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:44 pm

This serial is a little more difficult then I thought it would be. I'm limiting myself to 200 characters (including spaces). But it's fun. I like to edit...up to a point.

RUNNING RECAP:

Halloween serial
PART 1
She sat alone in the darkness. There was comfort in the light, but the darkness held the truth. And the truth would come for her tonight...

PART 2
She nervously twirled her long black hair. How many more times could she endure the beatings and the screaming….
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:48 pm

I'm scared...I want my mommie!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:38 am

I've been reading the Dark Tower book 7 by Stephen King and there was a very shocking thing that happened in the book that influenced by writing yesterday. I even dedicated my PIM to one of the characters in the book. I'm also working on a poem from an older challenge that is influenced by that series. Hopefully I'll finish it today and post it.

Halloween Serial

PART 1
PART 2
She nervously twirled her long black hair. How many more times could she endure the beatings and the screaming….
PART 3
The sound of silence filled the night. The pounding of her heart beat faster, her breath quickened. Would she hear the approaching footsteps when they came?

(I hope people like it)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:25 pm

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!! NaNoWriMo starts Monday. I am so not ready. My weeks always start off great but start to piddle out about now. There are so many things that I have to do to keep life rolling along ie laundry, dishes, cleaning, paying bills, etc. I tend to save all the yucky stuff for the end of the week. Now I've got to make sure I get everything done before Monday. I'm sure the boards around here will get really quiet for November. I hope my No Plot? No Problem book comes soon. I can feel the anxiety attacks coming on all ready. :freakout:

Halloween Serial
PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
The sound of silence filled the night. The pounding of her heart beat faster, her breath quickened. Would she hear the approaching footsteps when they came?
PART 4
An eerie hiss of voices sliced through the silence. The slapping thud of footsteps grew louder, powerful. She would be found. The ritual would begin…again.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:01 pm

Argh! I almost had a heart attack. I thought I threw away my notes for the Halloween serial. I searched my desk everywhere and couldn't find them. I know it's not great stuff and there is only 3 days left but I had everything maped out and it was gone. Until I remember that I put it in my purse with some other notes I was working on. This senile getting old stuff is for the birds...

It's bedlum around here. We had the company costume contest at 10 and today is the last day to pack up my desk because they're putting in new carpet over the weekend. My underwriter is also going to be gone all next week so I get to look forward to all the stuff I'll have to do next week while he's gone. Now if he would just stop giving me stuff to do today. Not to mention NaNoWriMo starts on Monday.

HALLOWEEN SERIAL

PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
An eerie hiss of voices sliced through the silence. The slapping thud of footsteps grew louder, powerful. She would be found. The ritual would begin…again.
PART 5
She closed her eyers and rested her forehead against the splintered wood of a broom. “Please let them pass me by.” But the footsteps stoped. BAM BAM BAM…

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”