pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:50 pm

There are far too many. lol But I remember one (not a Snoopy- the peanuts line was unique but not as funny as some humor lines.)
This was a card for an expectant mother. approximate wording:

Front: When it come to judging great qualities in a mother-to-be....
Inside: You're way out in front!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:16 pm

lol..ugh...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:19 am

DIDN'T WRITE YESTERDAY :( .... MUST WRITE TODAY... :)
Is this my reality or yours?
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:51 pm

*sound of whip being uncoiled*

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:26 pm

Just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door. A sentence a day keeps the depression away. Um, or something like that. Watch out for that whip - Mlou is pretty good with it. :shock:

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:34 pm

mslover wrote:Just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door.

I love it when people quote stale Christmas cartoon specials . . . :D
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:35 pm

pen, be careful with the whole forcing yourself to write thing...i find it blocks me...
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 pm

Just got back on the site after having some problems. I've been writing today because work is just too boring to do. I've done 1027 words in a list story and I still have 8 more words to use. I don't know it I'll get it done today as our unit is going out for "Holiday Happy Hour" in about 45 minutes. I don't know if I'll finish is tonight either because my sister's family is come to town. Work will still be boring tomorrow so I'll get it done then.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:17 pm

Hey...mlou you borrowed that whip months ago...am I ever getting it back....Let's go Penn, let's go....*(did I warn ya I used to be a cheerleader to the gladiators in my youth...a few centuries past?)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:57 pm

Nah, Hiss...I like the sense of POWER it gives me!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:21 pm

You can put the whip away. I've been writing!
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Okay but I'm not putting it TOO far away!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:40 am

Okay I feel guilty for not having posted anything yet this month since I've been named MotM yet I have been writing. I wrote 1,053 in a story I'm working on for the contest here and I'm only about 1/3 the way done. I better check the word limit on the contest. I'll probably have to do a lot of editing but I like editing, the first couple of times anyway.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:31 am

I think I need to get some stress. I did a lot of writing last month because I was trying to avoid stress. Now that I don't have any stress I can't seem to get a lot of writing done. If I'm going to finish the story I'm working on for the contest (working title: Death Becomes) I need to get cracking. I have to finish writing it AND get it under the word count limit. I think there will be a lot of editing to do. At the time of year when people are motivated to do things I just feel .........blah! I miss writing on the challenges too. I told myself that I was not allowed to post in any of the challenges until I had this story finished. The way things are going I may never post for a challenge again. :cry:
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:36 am

dont force yourself to do certain things with your writing...if you think "i HAVE to do this" you're going to block yourself because you're going to think it's a chore! i have found that if i feel that way, i need to walk away from writing...take a break. it could be a day or two. it could be a week or more (there was a time that i wrote nothing for over a month because i was stressing myself out about it). but it's important to take some breaks sometimes.
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:47 pm

I had a 'discussion' with someone yesterday that really ticked me off. He said if he could just quit his job and sit home all day he'd be happy. When I asked him how he would pay his mortgage, car paymets, bills, etc. he said "Oh, I'd just, you know, be a writer or something." When I asked him if he's writing anything now he said no. Then I asked if he'd EVER written anything. He mentioned a few papers in college but that was nonfiction before he remember he wrote a short story in high school for some assignment or whatever. He said he didn't revise it or anything and he got an A. When I told him there was more to "being a writer" then that his response was "how hard can it be, you just put words on paper." If we had been a cartoon I would have had a red face and steam shooting our of my ears he would have had a fist sized dent in his face. I held my peace...barely....as he proceeded to give me a lecture about how easy it was to write a story. He said "all you have to do is get your story made into a movie....people are so stupid they'll read anything if it's based on a movie." And..."it doesn't take long to write a novel...I could do it in a week." I tried to tell him it's a lot more work then that and a lot slower to get anything done. He didn't believe me. I'm begining to think that the only way he walked away alive was because someone else came up to us. People like that just annoying the living @#$% out of me.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Oh, PW, I do absolutely know what you mean. I've had people who knew I was a writer say to me, "Oh, you should write a book based on my life! I'd do it myself, if only I had the time." They were usually the biggest bores who had lives about as exciting as a dish of oatmeal. And they thought there was nothing to writing anyway. What's the big deal? You just sit down and write it out.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:39 pm

Mlou, when people find out I'm a writer they assume that I want to write about MY life (I THINK NOT!!!). They always ask what makes me think my life is so exciting.

I haven't been getting very far with my short story for the contest here lately. I've had to take my car to the dealer both last week and this week. It sucks not having a car because then you hav to live your life by someone else's time schedule. Even if I finish the story I think it's going to be too long. It will be about 3,000-3,500 words and the limit is 2,500. I don't know if I can chop off 500-1,000 words from a short story. I like editing and I'm getting better at it but I'm not that good yet. I told myself I wouldn't participate in the challenges until I got this story done and that's not looking very promising, so what do I do? Do I scrap the story for another time and place and work on the challenges that I've been taking notes for? That would be good because I love the challenges (they are one reason I signed up). But on the other hand if I make a goal to finish the story before I do any challenges and then break that goal what chance do I have of keeping any other goals I set? Too much writing to do and not enough time to do it in. :cry:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Okay, I'm running out of time to finish up "Death Becomes" for the contest (I'm an expert at procrastination) but I just can't get my little nasty editor away from my big inner critic. When the two of them pair up it's not a good sign. One of them yells "it's getting to long....be brief" and then the other one yells "don't gloss over things...show details." Would someone please SHUT THOSE TWO UP SO I CAN THINK!!!!!!!!!!!! :helpme:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:04 pm

I SUCK!!! :crybaby:
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:48 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself. We can't all be perfect. (I know I certainly can't!)
Sometimes our goals are a little unrealistic. It's okay to set them high but also allow for human frailties and unexpected developments. At my stage in life, I've decided to do what I WANT, not what someone else wants!

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 pm

My goal was realistic and ubtainable but I just couldn't get it done. I have a good excuse (there's always a 'good excuse' isn't there?) but I don't have a personal blog.
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:53 pm

All is not lost.

Take a deep breath.

Make a new obtainable goal.

Go for it.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:15 pm

I need some motivation to write. I think it's going to take the "kick-in-the-pants" kind. After falling off the train in February it's getting harder to get back up and write now. I've put most of the eye stuff behind me and I can see well enough to type or write so I should be writing then. Right? But I just can't seem to get the momentum that I had before. I'd be happy just to get out of the gate but I feel like my brain is mired in guicksand. Everytime I make the effort to write it just sinks into mindless stuff. :cry:
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:34 pm

Hey I wrote 11 words just now (haiku) and I didn't delete them (like the 50 I wrote last week and promptly deleted). Whoo Hooo! I'm coming back....slowly.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”