pen to paper, write (repeat)

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:45 pm

abscond \ab-SKOND\, intransitive verb:
To depart secretly; to steal away and hide oneself -- used especially of persons who withdraw to avoid arrest or prosecution.

Practice:

1. Matt, not wanting to be at the party in the first place, absconded out the back door.
2. Jesse crawled under the broken door of the woebegone building to adscond from the searching FBI agents.

Hook:
"I've got to go." Annie looked down at her bloody hands and dropped the knife. It clanked on the cold cement ground and bounced once before coming to rest next the the still body. Rain started to drizzle as it teased the puddles of blood back to life before washing away towards the gutter. Annie picked up her purse and silently absconded through the shadows of the alley.
Last edited by pengwenn on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:21 pm

hmmm that's a word I've apparently had the wrong definition of in my head for quite some time :oops:... had in my mind that it was more about the stealing than about the hiding part...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:02 pm

I have never heard that word before. At least I learned SOMETHING today.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:38 pm

garrulous \GAIR-uh-lus; GAIR-yuh-\, adjective:
1. Talking much, especially about commonplace or trivial things; talkative.
2. Wordy.

Practice:
1. Melissa raised the wine glass to her lips to hide her grimace directed towards the garrulous Mrs. Westly.
2. Tom was a garrulous talker; no long story could ever be short when told by him.

Hook:

She tried to concentrate but Prof. Hamstrume was a very garrulous lecturer and the room was quite warm. She struggled to open her eyes from another very long blink. She was having difficulty staying awake and looked around the room for something to keep her conscious. Heads were bobbing up and down all over the large lecture hall. Some even seemed to give up and openly slept with their heads on their desk. She could hear the soft rumble of a snore coming from behind her. She wondered if she too should put her head down on her desk. But the fear of the nightmares she's been having kept her head propped up on her hands. She didn't want to face that….thing…again. She wasn't about to fall asleep only to wake up screaming in the middle of Classic Literature.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:58 pm

I'm finding this WotD very helpful. I've learned several new words and it helps to try to think of a possible hook of story without having to think of the whole story. Now if I ever run out of ideas I can come back and expand one of the hooks.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:01 pm

nostrum \NOS-truhm\, noun:
1. A medicine of secret composition and unproven or dubious effectiveness; a quack medicine.
2. A usually questionable remedy or scheme; a cure-all.

Practice:
1. Fedick pushed the bottle towards Alyse, knowing the nostrum would not work, “If you want him to fall in love with you drink this.”
2. The gaped toothed peddler grinned as he handed the nostrum vile to boy. “Be sure to tell your friends to bring their gold if they want to grow muscles.”

Hook:
(?)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:40 pm

rictus \RIK-tuhs\, noun:
1. The gape of the mouth, as of birds.
2. A gaping grin or grimace.

Practice:
1. His rictus mouth dribbled soup back out onto his chin.
2. Hot sour breath escaped through his mouth in a rictus of pleasure as he stroked the girl's arm.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:38 pm

ameliorate \uh-MEEL-yuh-rayt\, transitive verb:
To make better; to improve.

intransitive verb:
To grow better.

Practice:
1. After 3 all night sessions in a week he ameliorated his grade up to a B.
2. By adding Miracle Grow to his lawn, Allen got it to ameliorate into a lush green paradise.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:54 am

somnolent \SOM-nuh-luhnt\, adjective:
1. Sleepy; drowsy; inclined to sleep.
2. Tending to cause sleepiness or drowsiness.

Practices:
1. It wasn’t fair that Christy got to ride in Uncle Mark new jalopy while she had to stay in the hot, somnolent kitchen and help her mother bake bread.
2. “Why is making love such a somnolent act?” Maggie playfully asked Ben.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Looks like you're taking over for JB, pen, or are you BOTH trying to educate us now? :-D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:30 pm

If I can just educate myself that would be an accomplishment. If other people learn a few things along the way the better. I am trying to get smarter (not up to genius level yet) and try to jar loose a few ideas in the process as well. I'm tired of my pedestrian writing I want something more ameliorated. :D
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:31 pm

I noticed you stopped writing hooks...
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:35 pm

The hooks were hard, especially when it felt like I was trying to write around the word. I also noticed that my practices sentences might be little baby hooks. Not whole paragraphs of an idea but a little taste of something like those mini weiners..... :D
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:29 pm

temerarious \tem-uh-RAIR-ee-uhs\, adjective:
Recklessly or presumptuously daring; rash.

1. "You're such a temerarious fool trying to pull off a stunt like that." Jane smirked as she looked up at the car on the roof.
2. Some people must get off on the temerarious thrill of doing really stupid things.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:32 am

introspection \in-truh-SPEK-shuhn\, noun:
The act or process of self-examination; contemplation of one's own thoughts and feelings; a looking inward.

1. He didn't have time for introspection, the plane was going down and he had to figure out how to land it without turning it into a fire ball.

2. Anakin sat in his chair in the council chamber, No matter how hard he tried for the calm and peace that introspection would bring his thoughts kept drifting to Padme and the only way he could save her.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:54 pm

malfeasance \mal-FEE-zuhn(t)s\, noun:
Wrongdoing, misconduct, or misbehavior, especially by a public official.

Practice:
1. “I think there’s some kind of malfeasance or something in his past. He never talks about what he did before coming to Springfield.”

2. It’s amazing that one president, after perpetrating a malfeasance on the on the American public, can held labeled a crook while another could be lauded as a hero to many.

I think I might try combining a few of the words I've learned into an opening hook. A little extra practice never hurt right?
hyperfine
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby hyperfine » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:41 pm

Ooh, malfeasance is an excellent word. I'll have to use it onw of these days.
Me fail English? That's unpossible!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:28 pm

fealty \FEE-uhl-tee\, noun:
1. Fidelity to one's lord; the feudal obligation by which the tenant or vassal was bound to be faithful to his lord.
2. The oath by which this obligation was assumed.
3. Fidelity; allegiance; faithfulness.

Parctice:
1. He slashed with his sword once again at the former Commander of the Guard. “You swore fealty to the King, how could you betray him.”

2. My fealty is to the might of power of Roldor. He will bring peace to the Lands of Mirtherall.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:26 pm

Okay this isn't exactly the word for today (I couldn't figure out how to pronounce that one - even with the phonetics) so I went back and got the word that came up on my birthday before I started all this.

antiquarian \an-tuh-KWAIR-ee-uhn\, noun:
One who collects, studies, or deals in objects or relics from the past.
adjective:
1. Of or pertaining to antiquarians or objects or relics from the past.
2 Dealing in or concerned with old or rare books.

Practice:
1. “So you collect dusty old books. That would make you a….”
“An antiquarian, yes.”
"Right."

2. He lived in a museum. Actually it was a house on 56th street but seeing as he was an antiquarian his house was so completely filled with ancient artifacts that he had brought back with him from his excavations that when friends came over to visit they felt they had to pay admission and whisper softly as they strolled down the hall towards his bathroom.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:27 pm

Similes: see "Mudge."
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 pm

Was that your picture next the definition? I wondered who that was. :-D
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:57 pm

iota \eye-OH-tuh\, noun:
1. The ninth letter of the Greek alphabet, corresponding to the English i.
2. A very small quantity or degree; a jot; a bit.

Practice:
1. "Okay back to our Greek homework. Alpha, Omega, Epalon, psi..."
"That's not right. Omega is last and you forgot Beta and Iota and a bunch more I can't remember."

2. Should I be sad that only a small iota of wordtrippers read my writing blog? :)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:49 am

ennui \on-WEE\, noun:
A feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction arising from lack of interest; boredom.

Practice:
1. I wonder how many writers feel ennui at some point or another in the writing process.
2. He was exotic, blue eyes, a scottish accent and a rogue demeaner, but eventually a feeling of ennui settled into her heart. She wanted something more; something different.
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:00 pm

Okay I just had a weird moment awhile ago. I posted a story for an old Picture Perfect prompt and I edited out a piece of it before posting. It was a little too graphic for the general boards. But that isn't what's bothering me. I have no problems keeping this site a family friendly kind of place.

If I had left in what I took out in is what is bothering me. Just the idea that people might jump to the wrong conclusion because of some FICTION that I wrote bothers me. It's written in 1st pov and sometimes people think that anything written in that vein must be from personal experience. Believe me, that story is not from personal experience. But it bothers me that people might think that it is and jump to that conclusion.

I was just trying to use a different pov (inspired by Anblick's genre prompt). But the fact that I'm letting what readers might think of me dictate what I put in my stories is bothering me. It's been a long time since I felt this way. I felt a great deal of freedom when I realized I could write anything I wanted to and it didn't matter because it was FICTION. So why is this bothering me all of a sudden again? I feel like I'm regressing as a writer.
AlienEeeter
Wordtripper

Postby AlienEeeter » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Don't worry. I've gone through the same thoughts, but I dont dwell on it. It'll only inhibit your writing if you do, and that's not cool. Anyway, I would hope that everyone here is intelligent enough to know the difference.

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”