A New Chapter

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:36 am

Why not submit, Funky? But choose very carefully WHERE to submit. Study your prospective publications to be sure that your piece fits their general thrust and then go for it. We all have to step through that baptism of fire, sooner or later. :)

The book idea sounds good. I blame the adult editors who push only the seamy, depressing, sensational side of teen life. They want books to reflect THEIR idea of realism but I think they're wrong. Not all teens reflect the picture these editors seem to favor, nor do all teens necessarily want to read nothing but this kind of prose. It's definitely time for a BALANCED look at teen life, don't you think?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Well I have recently discovered the type of writing that I am proud came out of my head. It all began when my philosophy teacher assigned a paper on What is the Good Life? We were told to incorporate the philosophies of Buddha, Confucius, Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, but I could not think of a project I would be proud of. So out of nowhere stream of conscious I began to write. It poured out of my soul and my hand could not stop moving. Once I was done I looked down at the paper and behold: I have a new type of writing I had never even heard of before. There's that saying Always be a poet even in prose, which in my case could not have been more true.

So now I am experimenting with prose poetry and one I recently came upon is The Colonel.

I must say it was quite a pivotal moment in the progression of my writing because this writing just feels right to me.

Now I am writing the new chapter of my life and sending off college applications with the dreaded college essays. But I do not dread them because I know that I am writing about myself or things I love and I also love to write.

I just wanted to once again thank you all for helping me as a writer and a person.

-Peace
:D
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:05 am

I once again have come to a place in my writing where I am having a hard time accepting what I have produced. Some things I am confident I have done my job as a writer until I have someone else critique the writing. It could be the fact that I am sick and tired of writing these stupid I AM A WONDERFUL PERSON essays for colleges.
Argh! I mean I recognize that indeed you should be able to write an essay that has evidence and all the good stuff, but what about me being me!?
Colleges say oh we want you to express yourself, we want to hear your voice, but somehow after editing a college essay more than once my voice ceases to come through in the paper at all.
I am sick of the formulas and listing all the reasons why I am great!
Why don't I just submit a completely bizarre and off the wall essay just to prove that I am not the same middle class blond hair with blue eyes girl who has a solid high school career.
I don't want to be like all the others and yet to survive in today's society if you don't conform you are considered a FREAK. Okay well that is a little extreme, but it still proves my point.

So I did just that. I submitted to Georgetown the crazy prose poem thing that no one on this site understands. I mean I really have no shot of getting accepted to Georgetown anyway, so WHY NOT!?

I think I am done with my little rant and wow how it feels good to get that off my chest. :D
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:07 am

Remember I am still just a teeenager. :wink:

-Rita Mae Brown

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:46 am

Yes, you are still a teenager . . . which is why you are just now starting to struggle with the idea that--romantic notions of academia aside--colleges are just another big business pushing out a product . . . and just like Wal-Mart, the less individual you are, the easier it is for someone to rubber stamp your application.

Of course, with colleges, there IS that romantic notion . . . so you never know. Someone MIGHT be drawn to the idea that you are an individual. But yes, the question any self-examined adult asks him or herself every day in this country is: How do I be myself and still survive in a race that wants me to be just another rat?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:13 am

I DID IT! I GOT UP IN FRONT OF A WHOLE COFFEE SHOP FULL OF PEOPLE AND READ MY POETRY!

-Rita Mae Brown

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:10 am

wooHOO!

You GO girl!

What was the reaction?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi, Funky...Let's face it, frustration comes upon us all through life, just in different guises. I empathize with your desire not to stamp out carbon-copy essays just like everyone else. And it can be VERY trying when you realize that that's what they want. Sometime try saying that in one of your essays. :-D
Good going on the poetry recital!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:56 pm

Well I read the The Way I Perceive Myself first and the audience was quiet as they could be while I read the piece, but once I finished everyone started screaming and chanting my name. It was quite amazing and something I would have never expected.

-Rita Mae Brown

fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:23 pm

everyone started screaming and chanting my name

And have you ever tried to make any gesture? It's amazing how almost everybody imitate it! I say "almost" because I have never imitated anyone nor screamed or shouted their names and I think that there are more people like me... though I haven't found any yet. :shock:
I know not any of those experiences/ sensations, but I know they are relevant for many people. So, if it makes you happy, I guess it's nice. And great! :-P
Know me by what I did today.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:35 pm

Well I was more or less surprised. See I don't fit in much and because my writing is well unique I don't get a lot of support from my peers, so when they all did that I felt relieved that they recognized this is my art- my world and they did not spit on it.

-Rita Mae Brown

fiona
Master Tripper

Postby fiona » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 pm

See I don't fit in much and because my writing is well unique I don't get a lot of support from my peers

You seem to come from the past! I admire that today still somebody bothers to get support from her peers by means of her art. :-P
Have a nice trip. :wink:
Know me by what I did today.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 pm

As a writer I have my moments where the world tilts the wrong direction and my papers fall to the ground in a heap. But then I have those days where the papers stay in the same place on the desk, waiting to be written on. Writing is a passion of mine, but recently I have sacrificed my writing because of other life matters. That is until the world fixed itself and I came back to the paper. I came back because I realized that whatever may occur in my life it is not complete without some from of writing. I have to write. It is as if I am addicted and when I stop I go through withdraw and yet if I do too much writing I overdose myself and end up with writer's block. Like everything I suppose there is a balance- a balance I am struggling to maintain, but nonetheless it is happening. In the past three days I have written three poems, two of which were in French. I have also pulled out the infamous notepad and started a prose piece. I have found my inspiration to write again, and this time I am not looking for conformation or people to say I am a genius writer, but rather I looking to myself to be the critic. We are our own worst critics- right? I also think that as a result I am perhaps producing some of the best writing that I ever have, in my short writing life.
Never lose sight of what is important. Never deny that you can do something, when it is just a matter of will. Never let someone say you are not good enough. Life is an unknown force perpetually dropping hints that all will be alright, even though it may not seem so. All one must do is continue to do what it is they know and the role they wish to fullfill will do so on its own.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Chapter 18

I am now legally an adult! Wish I could say that without a hint of sarcasm in my voice. I mean now doubt I like being 18 and knowing that I can vote in the presidential election, but along with 18 means that I will be moving out soon and starting my life, without my parents.
Most teens delight at the idea of leaving the parents behind and living on their own, but I am still curious as to how I will actually fair in the real world.

Oh I forgot to mention I am now officially a college student. Or at least I will be one this fall. I have chosen after much debate that Birmingham-Southern is the place for me.

Yeah so that living on my own thing has inspired much writing, but not really the type I am used to. I suppose it is the anxiety of being on my own and wanting to succeed.

Last month I thought maybe I should just stop writing altogether, but then I realized that as much as I may stop my creative writing-I cannot. It is indeed a coping mechanism and well sometimes we all need treatments to deal with life.

I actually had another reason for typing this blog and it had to do with writing, but I cannot remember what it was. So farewell for now.

-Funky

-Rita Mae Brown

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Amazing how after all these years I can so relate to this. Once I got out there it was okay... but I stayed at home until I was 19 just because... well, I don't really know why now. Hmmm...

My son is leaving in the next couple years and wow... it's a way different feeling than when I left. There's all that worry along with all the relief. It's like being on fire and looking at the ocean but not jumping in... an odd sensation.

It seems to me that the years between 13 and 25 were much slower than they are now. Today, a year seems like a couple of months and I just grasp at them hoping they will slow... back then, I couldn't make them go fast enough.

Good luck with all that you do!!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:59 pm

Wow. I have not been here in quite some time. April was the last time I posted something. I am now a college student. I am participating in 8 clubs on campus and now a writer for arts and entertainment for the school paper. Just finished my first article on a school band. I got an A on my first college paper, which felt nice. I can honestly say I have hated the first month of college, but among all the bad there has been a lot of good. My writing is what is pulling me through. I have written a lot of sad pieces, but I think they are understandable.

I am back in the south, which feels funny, but oh so right.

I have had two people tell me things that make me chuckle, the first was a girl in my dorm, who after looking at my bookshelf turned to me and said, "Who are you!?" and then the other was a boy that said, "You look like a Montana girl?"

I feel like a stranger here, but I miss talking to y'all. So that is a really abridged version of what has gone on. I also bought a guitar, so I can actually put my lyrics to music. I am going to post some of my new stuff, but they are way personal and some do not make a lot of sense to anybody but me. I am currently working on a thirty part poem that I will be sending to the publishers in the near future.

:D Funky Out.

-Rita Mae Brown

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi, Funky...nice to hear you're doing well...sorta :-D . We never like EVERYTHING about a new situation but as long as the good outweighs the bad, you're ahead of the game.

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm

hey funky! good to hear from you.

sorry to hear your having some trouble with college. I had a little bit of trouble fitting in my first semester. I had a roommate from hell, among other things. I can just say it gets better. At least it did for me. It takes some time to adjust.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 pm

Welcome back to the boards, dear girl!

College is an adjustment that is for sure.

My freshman year, I was trying to balance economics with human sexuality and boring intro classes (ah those were the days).

Funny thing is, I'm learning the guitar too...ugh..I bet you will be a lot better than me though...I'm all thumbs.

You are never a stranger my dear and keep writing, the roomate will get used to the books, if not they make good weapons...just kidding.

:twisted:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:12 am

Hey, guys, I actually WON a guitar once, in my contest-entering days. I put on a long haired wig and had my picture taken with it. Then one of my daughter's friends got the guitar.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:55 pm

Rofl..my guitar may end up on ebay...no seriously. I will play it so long as it does what it should..but Mudge and the rest of the real musicians on this site have nothing to fear from me....except maybe a musical headache... :D

Funky, put up your new pieces...so what if they make sense to only you.

The reader interprets what the reader wants to anyway.

For example....Every Breath You Take is used as a wedding song and a love song for many. But when Sting was asked about the song, he laughed and said it was the dark side of love the Obsession and jealousy. It is definately NOT a love song (says the songwriter, the fans say something else).

So, don't worry about us getting it....trust your instincts.
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 am

It is so nice to hear from y'all. My mom came into town today for Parent Weekend. College is quite a journey. I am keeping myself busy and a member of the Poetry Circle, which is a ton of fun. I have a poetry slam coming up soon in our coffee shop, it should be fun. And I will post some of my writing.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 pm

And yet again I have returned and quite a bit of time has gone by. Let me see last time I posted was 7 months ago and I am done with classes next week! Agh! It's nuts. This semester was academic hell, but I got lucky first semester and ended up in two English classes. Currently I am an English and Religion double major with a Creative Writing minor.
Writing News:
I took Intro to Creative Writing this semester and worked my rear off on a poetry portfolio, but it totally paid off. I was asked to go to a writer's conference, the Southern Literary Festival, I became president of Poetry Circle, which is now called the Underground Poet's Society, I was complimented on my poetry skills by my professor, who is a published crazy creative writer, which meant the world to me, I was published this year in our literary arts journal, also I got to meet James Kimbrell among other poets and he still has one of my poems, which is a funny story, and I was asked to attend the writer's conference in Denver next year. It's been a crazy journey.
I'm now writing a short story for Creative Writing, which is one of the hardest things I have ever written/am still writing. I cannot get it right. Funny I want so badly to be a fiction writer and that's what I started with, but it's so difficult for me.
Other News
Celebrated my birthday in March.
It storms a lot in Alabama.
And I go home in a week and a half.

-Rita Mae Brown

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun May 17, 2009 9:38 am

Well, hello there Funky... been a long time! I just read your quotes and really like that one by Albert Camus. I wonder if it will prove to be true.

Welcome back. As you may have noticed things are a bit quiet around here but everyone seems to check in from time to time. Hope all is well with you!!!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:34 pm

May 09, 2009 was the exact date that I last posted to wordtrip and since then a lot has taken place in my life.
I am still an English major at BSC and will be a junior, but this past year was awarded a pretty nice creative writing scholarship for being a "renegade poet."
I do too much on campus, but my main obligation beside Underground Poets Society is as Southern Diversity Delegate where I will be the student spokesperson of the college's multicultural office.
I am no longer a teenager, which has wonderful benefits despite people still asking me if I am 12.
I still love writing, but struggle with my content on a daily basis.
I received a fellowship from my college and am interning in New York City right now for the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations and feel a short story coming on after my first visit to the UN headquarters earlier today.
You can check out their website if you are interested: www.unaoc.org
I also wrote a couple of poems after my first trip out of the country. I went to a forum hosted by my organization in Rio de Janiero and I can say that the city captured my heart.
That is the quick version, but I am leaving the office to head back to my apartment and grab some dinner, but I hope to be back on later tonight.
I need to get my hand on those poetry challenges :D

-Rita Mae Brown

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”