A New Chapter

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:28 pm

bfsooner wrote:Isn't it great that I wasn't giving advice?

heehee :D
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:49 pm

TheMudge wrote:OK, first off, EVERYbody needs to calm down, or so help me, I will turn this blog around RIGHT NOW and take you home!

Now. CZ, it seems that what you were saying in that original entry was

a.) Time management and multi-tasking is a talent that grows with experience; hence, someone older (with more experience) is more likely to be better at it (and thereby at least IMPLYING that it might be easier/better for Funky to wait to write this particular book;

and

b.) To write the book she has proposed--and to do it WELL--is going to be TOUGH (thereby implying that yeah, maybe she IS taking on too much--your OPINION, of course, but she asked for that and you SAID it was your opinion).

Do I have that right?

Okay, maybe it did sound bad (I don't really know), but that's probably because whenever an older person talks of these things with a younger person, it almost has to sound bad, but...

It is NOT correct that I was implying she should wait or couldn't do it. I don't believe that I have EVER read any of her stuff before, and I have no idea what she is capable of, so NO, I would never imply that. I remember her once listing all her extra-cirricular activites and all her other writing things and asking "Am I taking on too much?" My response, "MAYBE you are." This, of course, is the 2nd time this dust-up has occurred here in a week. I see people who are doing A LOT, who say they are doing A LOT and who lament the progress on their novels. FW said hers was "dying in her hand." And then when I suggest doing LESS of the other things, you'd think I had said "Well, of course you're having trouble, that's because you're just a big old dummy head." Whatever. I will try to couch future advice in gentler tones.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm

Thank you.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:53 pm

bfsooner wrote:Ok, everyone sit cross-legged, breath in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Close your eyes and imagine you are in your safe place.

Funky, I would love to read anything that you post on here.

Also...put hands above head waiting for the backlash...I think advising to focus on a project is stating an obvious. I believe we all know that novels don't write themselves.

It's so obvious that whenever I state it, people don't say "That's obvious." They say "That's wrong."
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 pm

TheMudge wrote:Thank you.

And thank you for your even-handed intervention.
JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

There Are Only Two Types

Postby JT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm

"There are only two types of people in this world: those who drive with the gas and those who drive with the brake." Funky, what type of motor vehicle do you drive?

"There are only two types of people in this world: those who shoot from the hip and those who use both hands on one gun." Funky, what types of guns have you shot?

"There are only two types of people in this world: those who have read Benjamin Weissman and those who have not." Funky, you are too young to read "Dear Dead Person." But surely you've read Jerzy Kosinski and Henry Chinaski?

Just kidding, but I think all he was saying in a polite fashion was "use a rifle and not a riot gun if you want to hit a moving target so far in the distance." Hope you understand what that means, coming from someone who knows he's just a wannabe when it comes to writing fiction - me.

JT
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:34 pm

I guess I should have added "Interpretation of your words" as one of the obstacles writers face every day. :whistlinginnocent:

Frankly, I honestly didn't expect to be in the middle of such controversy by supporting Funky. If you read my posts you will see that was what I was doing. I guess I also didn't expect to be attacked several times. I will just chalk that up to uncontrolled emotions and let it be. (How do you feel about pudding? :-D )
Last edited by Hyker on Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Mlou » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Well, Funky, my old pal, if I think of anything witty and wise to add to all this sincere and well-intentioned advice, I think I'll just PM you. :wink: It's just cause everyone loves ya, kid!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:50 pm

(Goooooo Funky) :D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Anblick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:29 pm

Wow, I'm gone for two days and Don King seems to be promoting an event in Funky's Blog!

I won't comment on it, as it seems to finally have settled down other than to say I'm behind your project all the way, Funky! Never loose hold of your dreams, and whether you can finish it in a year, or it takes you most of your life to accomplish, keep plugging at it and never let go!
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:24 pm

"All the rest of y'all need to chill out and quit just reacting here. Funky, I love ya, sweetie, but I don't think anyone here is trying to flame you: you DID ask for opinions, and CZ's opinion was that yeah, maybe it was too much. You can choose to IGNORE that opinion . . . or you can choose to explain your side, which you did." -Mudge

I KNOW I ASKED FOR OPINIONS, DID I NOT ALREADY COVER THIS?

I just want to sum this up by saying I never expected this to become what it is. I know the advice each person gives is beneficial. I asked for the advice and never did I refute or argue after that I did not want it(correct me if I'm wrong). I APPRECIATE all the comments, I CAN handle the truth. I may be young in years, but don't feel (any of you) can't tell me straight up I'm wrong or my writing's not good. I need to have that, for it is the only way I will develop as a writer.
I just wonder what will happen after I post my first chapter. :shock:

-funky out
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Whatever I intended, I seem to have caused distress. I am sorry for that, FW. Don't ever stop writing, it may break your back, but don't ever stop. It's the best way to get a broken back that I know.
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:48 pm

read above. CZ YOU DID NOT CAUSE DISTRESS IN ME!! This is my blog and I am telling you, you are not the culprit you were the give for you gave me the ADVICE I ASKED for.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

-Rita Mae Brown

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Aside from the encouragement I gave above, I'll dish out some advice, too!

Set some goals for each chapter and strive to meet them, such as a chapter every month, or whatever works for you. It'll help keep you motivated and may help you finish earlier rather than later. Set different goals for different chapters as you know they'll all take different lengths of time (poems likely taking less time than prose).
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:55 pm

okay, so this is personal and writing combined. we just got done with our homecoming parade and got SOAKED! It poured right as the parade started after holding out all day. In case any of you did not know I am editor of our school's literary magazine, which is why I was in the parade. Anyway, just thought I say we got a lot of publicity and will let you all know if we won top prize.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:07 pm

Just thought I would mention I am taking the written test to be on Teen Jeopardy tomorrow. I will be sure to mention Wordtrip if I make it on national television.

-Rita Mae Brown

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:18 pm

Good luck, Funky!!! Or should I say "What is Good Luck, Funky?"
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 am

If you get on I sure you can get a Word Trip T-shirt from charles.
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Certainly... I almost have to have a standing offer to anybody getting on national TV that we'll give them a WT shirt to wear.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Does that include if we're going to be on Cops? :D "Bad boys, bad boys, whattcha gonna do when they come for you...."
Is this my reality or yours?
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:37 pm

It's most likely I will not get on television. Anyway, I am still contemplating on whether or not I should do NANOWRIMO considering I have debate, literary magazine, and leo club duties. One of my close friends, the president of NANOWRIMO Club at my school says I should do it because she's doing debate and scribblings, so it forces you to spend time on your novel. Yet, my brain is practically fried as I sit here and can barely type.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:40 pm

For being young I am supposed to be risking it all, but no instead I throw my back out! Today I am totally bummed and on the verge of writing a poem, but I have too much homework. :evil: :yimroll:

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:34 am

I basically got nowhere with Nanowrimo because I got busy, excuses I know. I have just finished reading the Awakening by Kate Chopin, actually I can honestly say with a clear conscious that I only read ten pages and of those ten pages I absolutely hated it. I did not read Killer Angels either and ended up with a B on the test. I am really hating honors English this year, I know there are great American writers, unfortunately haven't come across one yet in class.
My novel is chugging along, but debate has taken a lot of time away. Debate is fun and I am finding that writing cases is helping me develop a writing technique I did not realize I could possess.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Well I have finally found time to make it back on the site. Summer is here and I am ready to write(after my job of course). As much as I hate my job and the people there anger me my mom said I would find inspiration for characters. This is true to some extent and it got me thinking about my writing.
I took a Creative Writing class at the end of this semester and my teacher seemed to be my biggest supporter next to my mom. It was almost weird because I have had supportive teachers, but this one felt I had something great with my writing. With each new piece she got more and more excited. While I am proud of myself and my development I wonder whether or not my work really is that good or if she was just exaggerating?
I have come along way this year in different aspects of writing according to my grades, but I just am afraid some of my pieces will receive a rude awakening if I send it to a publisher. Should I take some of these pieces so loved by my peers and teachers to a publisher or should I seek more professional advice on my writing? Maybe I should post it here.
I don't know and I just want to scream!

Anyway, I have come up with a new story idea and the more I think about it the more I feel that yes this could be huge. The basic idea is a teenage journal that discusses issues teenagers have from parents to what should be worn at prom. It is essentially my oh so normal teenage life thrown in with some eccentric characters. I was inspired to write this book because I look at the shelves of Barnes and Noble where the entire teen section has been destroyed with the books on how the teenager is on drugs or hating their parents. I feel there is more to a teenager and that teenagers weren't discredited they could accomplish so much more for society. I probably will post my first chapter on here just to get a feel for what everyone thinks.

I am temporarily not writing the other novel I started two summers ago because I still have to figure out what great events in history I should use.
I am also reading Sophie's World and that is helping me sort out some of the main philosophical movements I should use.

I realized I talk way too much. :oops:

-Rita Mae Brown

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:13 am

like the new book idea - go for it!

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”