A New Chapter

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:05 pm

Okay so now I am back to my novel.
I am getting out of school for the next 2 days, so I am going to write until my hands bleed. I plan on writing a sonnet, play, and possibly an essay, making up the next three chapters in my book. So by the end of this weekend I should have 6 chapters written, but I will probably work up to the tenth chapter.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:07 pm

Of course, no one will be able to READ the last four chapters, because of all the blood on the pages, but still . . . :D
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:09 pm

Oh but it's the first four chapters and in these chapters all the gruesome stuff occurs. Hey that's an awesome idea thanks Mudge. :wink:
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:39 pm

I just found out my next AP European Studies test is an essay question. Yipee!! I am so excited, finally a test where I could get a really good grade.

Novel Update:
As of now I have the first three chapters written, but I am trying to find an even in history to put in between the Killing of Christ and the Renaissance. Anyone have any suggestions?

I also found out this morning two guys at my school died in a car crash. It was really hard on everyone, every emotion you could imagine took place.
I wrote a poem to get all the feelings out, so I may post it under my poetry thread, but it all depends.

-Rita Mae Brown

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:48 pm

As of now I have the first three chapters written, but I am trying to find an even in history to put in between the Killing of Christ and the Renaissance. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well the obvious ones are the Crusades, the Roman Empire et al, Viking expeditions, Byzantine Empire, 100 Years' War, etc...

Are you limiting yourself to Western Society? Because there are also events in Asian history along those timeframes that are rather major... Ghengis Khan, Ming Dynasty, establishment of Russia, etc...

This might help: http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:53 pm

No not just to Western Society. The approach I am taking is starting in the West, then have characters in other parts of the world connected to other characters. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the website that really helps.

-Rita Mae Brown

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:59 pm

You're welcome! If you need more, I can probably find a few. Other obvious events you probably want to consider (after the R) are the US Civil War, the Cold War, WWI&II, Exploration of the World (Columbus, Vespucci, Magellan, etc.), Hebrew history pre-Christ, Babylonia, Greek/Roman society, Persia, etc. ...
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:00 pm

Yeah I was going to use Columbus from the point of view of the natives. Thanks Blick!

-Rita Mae Brown

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:01 pm

I'm here to help!

(Stop laughing you mods!)
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:06 pm

That's why you are wordtripper of the month, isn't it?
Last edited by funkywriter3 on Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Rita Mae Brown

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:07 pm

I guess technically that was the reason! :-D
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 pm

Technically? Okay whatever you call it! :D

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:41 pm

Gosh I am totally freaked out now! I am watching the Sixth Sense and wondering how the writer came up with the idea. Totally Amazing!!

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:27 pm

Okay so I put up the poem about the two boys who died at my school. It's a weird sort of poem for me seeing as I've never had to deal with this kind of death before.

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:03 pm

Today I went to Barnes and Noble spending an hour shuffling through books. I could spend a whole day at a book store. I also bought a book called The Timechart History of the World. This book is gigantic and like three feet tall. I am hoping it will assist the process of finding tales I want to write about for my novel.
Tomorrow I start reading As I Lay Dying and spending a whole day out by the lake writing my heart out. Probably doing my homework also won't be to bad.

Funky Out

-Rita Mae Brown

NYR94
Master Tripper

Postby NYR94 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:27 pm

Post the first couple of chapters--I'm sure it will inspire some folks in here!
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:27 pm

As some of you may heard I am back. Problem is it's been way too long. I am in the middle of a novel and just about to start my junior year of high school, which most likely means I will not be back on and writing as much as I would like to.
I am also reading Grapes of Wrath and trying to tough my AP American Studies homework.
Well it feels great to be back.
Funky :D

-Rita Mae Brown

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Hey, Funky! Long time, no hear. Nice to see you on.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks Mlou :D

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

I've been in school a week and it is going better, a lot better, than I ever could have imagined. My writing though has once again been put on the back burner. It infuriates me that I can't just write and get the first draft of my novel done. If school keeps getting in the way my novel won't be done until I'm 90.
Anyway, the novel is going well. I am working on Chapter 5 and it should be done by tomorrow or Sunday.

Peace, Love, and Writing
Funky

-Rita Mae Brown

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm

Okay, so a mini-update. My novel is well...um... not getting anywhere. I am not having my school writer's block it's just I just don't feel like writing. I know I am writing now, but it's different. The passion for my novel is dying in my very hand. I want to cry because I feel discouraged. Have I taken too much on, yes, am I overanalyzing it, probably, and where am I to go to help my novel? My mind is filled with too much nonsense and speculation. I guess that's what high school does to you.
Also will anyone read the first chapter if I post it?

-Rita Mae Brown

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:01 pm

It's what LIFE does to do funky. If the passion to write is there (and I think it is for you) you'll find a away. If not . . . well, that's like asking a fish NOT to swim.
Is this my reality or yours?
funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:43 pm

Yeah I guess it does. Right after I posted this I had an interesting encounter. My dad's friend from the south is visiting and we're all joking about lifestyles in the United States when he says he's writing a novel. He then tells me practically the same thing as you pengwenn, which is don't stop whatever you do. Also he says that at some point everyone should write a novel because everyone has a life that can make a story.

-Rita Mae Brown

Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:03 am

I'd be happy to read the first chapter if you're willing to share...
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:38 pm

funkywriter3 wrote:Yeah I guess it does. Right after I posted this I had an interesting encounter. My dad's friend from the south is visiting and we're all joking about lifestyles in the United States when he says he's writing a novel. He then tells me practically the same thing as you pengwenn, which is don't stop whatever you do. Also he says that at some point everyone should write a novel because everyone has a life that can make a story.

A few questions:
1. Where have you been?
2. The novel with which you now struggle -- is it the same onte this thread addressed earlier? The one with 200 stories spanning history?
3. I would be quite happy to read any part of it, if you want to send it to me.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”