...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:45 pm

Well, I've started work on yet another brand new story, my second in as many weeks - I ended up temporarily shelving Crash And Burn, which was to be my project for the April Fools challenge. My new one is called Beautiful Soul, and I've had a great response to it so far. It deals with autism spectrum disorder, specifically Asperger's syndrome, which is something that I strongly suspect that I may have myself. However I'm not making a claim to it until I can have a formal diagnosis made, and that will have to wait a few years I think. My parents won't take kindly to the fact that I could be autistic, purely because I picked up on it through surfing the Web, and will assume that I tried to self-diagnose. That in itself is something I have to be careful of, because I spend a great deal of my Internet time looking up info on medicine and science. I could become a serious hypochondriac if I believed that I had every single disease that I researched. But all in good time I suppose.

Anyway. I'm going to be writing Beautiful Soul as both a fan fiction and an original work, on the suggestion of one of my friends, and will post a link to the original version when I get it online.
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:02 pm

I'm interested in how it could end up being both a fan fiction and an original work... althought I do realize when a person writes fan fiction, their writing is their own original work. I was just wondering if there was a certain story out there you are writing this fan fiction on or about. Am I confused now? Probably.

Hey... got your book and I just started chapter five. Funny... I was thinking I was only on chapter two; it's nice when a story flows and you find yourself further along than you typically would be. I'm sure I read this somewhere in your blog, but forgive me for being forgetful. Obviously, your last name is the same as the family in the book, but I don't want to assume it's an biography... is this based on a true story?

Have a great day!

Jill
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:51 pm

No, Never To Leave Me isn't autobiographical - it all came from my own imagination, and that of the girl I wrote it with. BTW, Angelin Beckett isn't actually my real name, it's my pen name. My real name is Erin Brown.

Beautiful Soul is a Hanson fan fiction, which is pretty much what all my writing starts out as - I usually rewrite and eliminate everything that would point to it being fanfic for the benefit of the wider Internet community, as I am well aware that not everyone is a Hanson fan. Plus I'd rather not risk having myself sued for defamation. I'd also rather keep my fan fiction and my original fiction separate, which is also part of the reason I adopted a pen name for my writing.

I'd love to know what you think of Never To Leave Me - the sequel is written, I just need to iron out a few bugs/consistency errors and design the cover. I can't wait to see how long that takes me...
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Well, now that was a clever idea, I think. Having the last name of the characters the same as your pen name.

AS to pen names... Jill Star is my pan name, although Jill is my real first name. I was casually thinking of changing it to my real legal name at some point... but don't know if that's really a good idea.

That's interesting what you said about how you write fan fiction and I agree... I have always been worried about someone thinking I "stole" their story from them; however, I believe that most stories are told over and over and over again. Finding something that NO ONE else has done, really isn't as easy as some may think.

I will let you know what I think of your story once I'm finished. It usually takes me a while since I read more than one book at a time and am actually working on a new story of my own... finally.
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:42 pm

As promised, I finally have the link for the original fiction version of Beautiful Soul - I signed up for a new FictionPress account, under a different pen name to my current one, because I would actually like to make an attempt at having this one published someday. Someone once told me (at Forward Motion I think it was - same person couldn't even 'deign' to congratulate me on having the original version of NTLM self-published, just gave me a lecture...needless to say I have not been back since) that if I try and have anything published under the name 'Angelin Beckett', and someone ends up connecting my self-published writing with anything else I manage to have published...well, let's just say I don't even want to think about it...

Anyhow, where was I? Oh yes...

Beautiful Soul: http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1891062
I will be taking both versions of the book offline when it's done. But that probably won't be for a long time yet. Especially when I have nosy parker parents bugging me to get a job every few seconds, and thus interrupting my writing time and my privacy...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:01 pm

*sigh* Again with the accusations...

I've been accused of taking the 'easy way out' AGAIN. Yet more people who don't see the merits of self-publishing have taken it upon themselves to lecture me on how to become a published author. The thread, beginning with my defence of self-publishing, is here.

*shakes head* I knew it was a mistake to go back there...
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:35 pm

Ok Dream..here's my thoughts..

There are many elitists out there that think that the only way to publish is to beg a publisher to see the merits of your work...

But, I look at self publishing this way...

are you producing a quality product?
one you can be proud to show your friends and family?

Is you book as good or better than those put out by say a vanity press, which I have found has forgotten how to proofread?

Are you willing to do a knockem dead marketing campaign on your own..and can you find bookstores, etc willing to accept your product?

If so, you have nothing to be sorry for..

With the flux in the publishing industry and with more and more authors finding that they can have better control and keep a larger share of the profits, you may find you are one of the pioneers of a new dawn for book publishing.

What makes publishing houses so attractive is that
1) it is some one else liking your work enough to take a chance on you..(the almighty acceptance that we crave as artists)

2) they are willing to do the lion's share of marketing and put $$ behind your book...but now go and research the statistics my dear...

See how many unknown authors get large marketing pushes by the big houses...you will find this number is scarce to none...Publishing is a business and they will back superstars first...what ever is left over we fight for...and unless we WOW them out of the gate that's going to be a very small portion of the pie...

So it is only the industrious minds that find ways to be seen and heard, and for some self-publishing is the way to go..and here is another thought

You may not earn the praise of publishing purist with this method..but...did you know..there have been several who publish this way...as well as entering contests..if the qualify...they can be picked up by a contest for published work..and winning one of those is definately prestigious...

Don't let yourself be downtroddened by those afraid to do so..maybe this is how you get recognized and your next project gets picked up by an agent or publisher..

Just because it isn't how it's always been done, doesn't make it wrong...just make sure what you have out there is a quality product...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:59 pm

I think it takes a lot of guts, determination, time and courage to invest in self publishing and I respect writers who have that level of committment to their writing. To "go out on a limb" and "buck the system" to share your words with others is a huge investment in time and resources. Is it for everyone? No. But neither is every book that was ever written.
Last edited by pengwenn on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this my reality or yours?
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:05 pm

Ok...if you want another example...Madonna's photo book was done by a legit publisher and even w/ her star status...the darn thing fell apart...it was a fiasco from the beginning and she would have been better never doing it at all....

So chin up my dear. Are your bindings at least holding together? If so, you beat Madonna. :wink:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 14, 2005 3:13 am

I have some big news to share, even though it isn't writing related. I don't really see the point of having separate blogs at this site, even though it would push up my post count...

Anyway. I won a radio competition this afternoon to meet my favourite band, Hanson - yes, the same band whom I write fan fiction about *chuckles* The concert is in two weeks from today, and before anyone asks yes I'm quite excited :D I've been waiting eight years for this, and it's at last been worth it. It's not a bad birthday present if I do say so myself!

In writing news, I've been working on a short story since this morning, and I may post it when it's finished. I'm also rewriting Angel, as I feel I can do a great deal better. All my other writing is going okay.
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat May 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Hi there Dream... I can tell you're very excited about meeting the band. Congratulations . . . and happy birthday!
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun May 22, 2005 10:52 am

I've started what will probably be the very long process of editing and rewriting Star as an original fiction novel - the prologue and first chapter are edited, and I'm working on editing chapter two. I've also almost finished the first chapter of Beautiful Soul (I think *chuckles*). I'm going through something of a dry spell at the moment, which I think can be attributed to the fact that the concert is this Saturday, and I'm almost too excited to sit down and write *twitches*

:poke: <-- me poking my muse into action

Next Sunday I'll buckle down and write. Or try to, anyway...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon May 30, 2005 5:27 am

I'm slowly easing myself back into my writing stride, now that my primary distraction is gone - the Hanson concert was on Saturday, and I had a wonderful time. It was everything I could have hoped for and more.

Me at the meet & greet before the concert - I'm the one wearing the light blue shirt, in between my mother and Taylor Hanson (Hanson's lead singer).

Am having some trouble finishing chapter one of Beautiful Soul. I'm also going to try and work on chapter four of Little Miracles, as I haven't so much as looked at it in over a month...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:05 am

Turned 21 today :-D As a sort of celebration, I have changed my avatar, and I've started work on the planning stages of this year's NaNovel.

I've been reading a Harry Potter fan fiction called A Second Chance, and it's given me an idea for this year's NaNovel. And for about the past nine months, I've been trying to decide what use the LiveJournal I set up for myself while I was in England would be put to, and yesterday it dawned on me - a NaNoWriMo journal. In the past I've always used my everyday LiveJournal for documenting my NaNo journey, but from this year onward I'll be using a dedicated journal for that purpose. So for about the next four months, it will be my 'dumping ground' for my research and my character development. What I've been doing over the past day or so is doing some basic research into my subject - death and judgment from the Christian perspective, also from the perspective of other religions. I may be an atheist, but it's certainly interesting. I've also been looking up names that I could possibly use, and I have a current shortlist that I'll whittle down as NaNo draws closer. I may end up cross-posting my planning into this blog as I go along.

I will probably end up writing another Hanson fan fiction this year. However, it will be a totally different take on the whole fan fiction deal. I'm quite excited about this one :-D
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 am

Hey Dream... I didn't even see your post with the picture of you with Hanson. I'm still confused which is you because I don't know which is Taylor. I feel rather embarrassed about that... :oops: Is Taylor a man or woman. :oops: Okay... now I'm really embarrassed.

Any way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I sign up for NaNo every year but November seems to take over everything for me with the holiday and the family and this and that... there seems to always be something happening that month. I think I should just pick a month out of the year and do it when it's best for me. :)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Happy Birthday, DC! :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:54 pm

jillstar wrote:Hey Dream... I didn't even see your post with the picture of you with Hanson. I'm still confused which is you because I don't know which is Taylor. I feel rather embarrassed about that... :oops: Is Taylor a man or woman. :oops: Okay... now I'm really embarrassed.

Taylor's a guy, believe it or not! Yeah, even I admit he looks like a girl sometimes, and I'm a Hanson fan...
Slán go fóill,

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 pm

I feel your pain, dream (re. editing) I'm now editing my book down from 82,000 words to 60,000. Don't know if it's possible but there was a lot of boring stuff in there. And I explain too much, or detail too much. Well, I'm workingat it anyhoo.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:34 am

Mlou wrote:I feel your pain, dream (re. editing) I'm now editing my book down from 82,000 words to 60,000. Don't know if it's possible but there was a lot of boring stuff in there. And I explain too much, or detail too much. Well, I'm workingat it anyhoo.

Editing can definitely be a chore, but I think it's definitely worth it in the end. *nods* You just need to keep working at it...

I've been busy the past couple of weeks, what with writing, doing my crits for my writing group and getting everything for NaNoWriMo sorted out. The first chapter of Beautiful Soul is finally finished, and I'm also working on a brand new story, which I really need to stop doing all the time. My NaNo research is all done, so when it's in some sort of coherent form I'm going to start working on my characters and making a novel playlist.

I am also the proud owner of a brand new laptop computer, a birthday present from my parents. It's making writing a fair bit easier, as now I can move around the house and write wherever I want to, rather than sitting at my desk all the time (which can get a little boring). Once the weather starts to warm up, I'm going to start going out on the back deck to write. It's too cold at the moment to do so, being winter. Bring on springtime I say...
Slán go fóill,

funkywriter3
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby funkywriter3 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:49 am

Well Happy Belated Birthday!
That is cool you got a laptop.
You got to meet Hanson, cool! They are so cute now, I don't think the blonde hair worked for them though.
" The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

"Writers will happen in the best of families."
-Rita Mae Brown

" Do not ask a poet to explain himself, he cannot." - Plato
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm

funkywriter3 wrote:You got to meet Hanson, cool! They are so cute now, I don't think the blonde hair worked for them though.

I think I would have to agree with you there. They're great guys though - I glad I got the chance to meet them. It's something I'm going to remember for the rest of my life. :-D
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm

The editing of Star is progressing slowly, as I'm more or less overhauling the entire thing. I'm glad I decided to post it in my writing group, as I'm now seeing it in a completely different light, and I know I can do much better. So I suppose it will probably be another two years of hard work, but it will be worth it - I'm certain of it. It has also been rechristened - the new title, for both versions, is The Way Of All Things, though it does remain to be seen if I keep that title. I quite like the newly rewritten prologue - it reads much better than it previously did. I'll hopefully have the first chapter rewritten by the middle of this week.
Slán go fóill,

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:11 pm

I have a prologue too, dreamcatcher. Therefore I'm just a bit insulted that some writer or other has pronounced that prologues and epilogues are written by people who don't know how to begin and end a book! :-D
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:17 am

*chuckles* That is somewhat insulting!

I've been thinking, actually, and I think that the prologue that I currently have for The Way Of All Things is going to end up becoming the epilogue. It would work a whole lot better that way, as it more or less gives away the ending. I'd rather have a little mystery surrounding the events of my novel rather than none at all...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:50 am

I'm writing again - I took a bit of a break while I got over the flu that's been going around. I still have a bit of a cough, but that should be gone before long. Or at least I hope so, anyway - who knows, the damn thing could be coming around for strike number three before I know it. Currently I'm working on my first Harry Potter fan fiction (right now sitting at 7,518 words), and am very slowly continuing to edit The Way Of All Things. And I do mean slowly...

Hopefully I can get a bit of writing done while my parents are in Vanuatu. My writing goal for August is 20K, and I've already got a third of that written. Amazing how I can have an idea brewing for over two and a half years, and the second that JK Rowling entertains the thought of an Australian school of magic, the dam finally bursts. Absolutely unbelievable...
Slán go fóill,

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”