...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:46 am

So, a new year. I hope to make some real progress with my writing this year - I especially want to get Star finished before April, which I can achieve if I just put my mind to it. And I desperately want to get chapter six of Seven finished before the month is out - which is proving rather difficult, owing to the fact that I haven't been able to find a decent online Russian dictionary (needed for the rest of the book, as one of the main characters is half-Russian).

I also want to make some progress in real life. I need to get a job, I need to get my provisional driver's licence, I need my own car, and I want to move out of home, preferably with a couple of friends. I'm sick to death of being treated like pond scum by my own parents. Moving out will enable me to take up Wicca, as I have wanted to for the past couple of years. Unfortunately my parents have forbidden me from doing so, even though I'm almost 21 years old and have been an adult for two and a half years. *sigh* Knowing them, they'll lay the guilt trip on me to get me to stay. But I want to do this. I'm sick of this hick town. I don't want to live here for the rest of my life.
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:54 pm

*smacks hand* I've really been neglecting this, haven't I?

Star is very close to being finished - I've realised that I won't be able to carry the storyline for eight extra months, and so the main story will conclude in December 2003 (I'm up to July at the moment, so I'll have four chapters left when 43 is done), with the epilogue set in March 2005. I'm quite looking forward to getting started on the sequel, which has the current, tentative title of Little Miracles. Currently it's sitting on 123,718 words, across 295 pages.
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:56 am

Don't be too hard on yourself dear...it's been a slow start for many of us...
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:51 am

It’s finished. It’s finally finished.

Almost eighteen months after I first started writing it, on the first of September 2003, Star is at last complete. Final stats:

Words: 139,708
Chapters: 48 (50 including the prologue and epilogue)
Pages: 320
Completion date: February 20 2005

I’m rather proud of this one :-D I can’t believe I actually finished it…
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:40 am

APPLAUSE!!!!!

NOW DOESN'T IT FEEL GOOD JUST TO SAY IT'S DONE??
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:23 am

*nods* You bet it does. I was on a high all of Sunday evening after I finished.
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:21 am

Congratulations Dreamcatcher!!! You've accomplished more than many writers have.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:28 am

Enjoy the high my dear..you have earned.
luminosity
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby luminosity » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:54 am

Wonderful news, Dreamcatcher! You've accomplished so much--great job! :thumbsup:
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.--Elbert Hubbard
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:07 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:... so whatcha gonna write next? :D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:41 pm

I've got a few things in the works...

Third book in my trilogy is coming along nicely, it was a very slow start but I've managed to figure out where I'm going. And in the nick of time too, there's a month left of a writing challenge I'm participating in and I want a decent amount written before the challenge ends. Seven isn't going as well as I would like, I'm still stuck on chapter 6. *sigh* I don't want to abandon that one, it's got so much potential...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

The dreaded 'R' word

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:05 pm

I swore up and down that this would never happen again, because just about all of my completed stories - save for Star, Somewhere I Belong, Never To Leave Me and Angel - are completely (in my eyes) unsalvageable. I can't even flick through them for ideas without cringing, which I like to do sometimes as a comparison of how far I've come. That is sheer proof of how unreservedly pathetic they are.

I'm talking about rewrites.

Now, maybe it's just my lack of sleep here. Actually, that's probably all it is (that, and being hungry, because I have not really eaten anything substantial since pizza a week or so ago - I can quite easily eat a full-sized cheese pizza all on my own if I'm hungry enough, and I normally am to begin with), because when I woke up this morning I honestly thought that one of my favourite online stories was going to have been updated when I checked it. And that in itself is wishful thinking, because that story has not been updated since July 2002. While I still hold out hope after nearly three years, I'm pretty much starting to give up hope that it will ever be updated again. *scowls* I hate it when people do that. Inconsiderate much?

But I'm getting off track (as usual). I had this harebrained idea last night, while I was trying to get some sleep (I only got something like 3.5 hours of sleep last night - I can't function normally on any less than six hours) - I want to try rewriting a story of mine that I wrote nearly three years ago. It was the second fan fiction I ever 'officially' finished, official in that while I've been writing Hanson fanfic (hanfic) since I was 13, I didn't know what I was doing for four years of that time (and so I've only considered myself as having been writing hanfic for the past three years), and it's pretty bad. It's called Kellie's Wish. Though when I think about it, it won't be so much a rewrite, more taking that idea (sort of) and combining it with a concept from one of my other stories. I'm going to take a leaf out of the lovely Ella's book (along with the books of many other hanfic authors) and add a touch of the supernatural into the mix, something I dabbled in for one of my other stories, The Christmas Angel. And I suppose for Angel as well, seeing as I'm an atheist (though I do consider angels to be supernatural beings).

I'm still considering the fic I wanted to write ages ago (a historical fic), but I want to wait until I'm done with Broken Angel before I write it. But I'm probably going to start writing my new one this week sometime, just as soon as I can get my ideas into some coherent form and as soon as I've done a bit of research. :D This could be fun...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:16 am

Memo to muse:

PLEASE STOP BOMBARDING ME WITH IDEAS!

I don't need to start yet another new story. I already have four going right now - Broken Angel, Lightning Crashes, Collision Course and Little Miracles - but here I am, thinking about resurrecting two of my older stories that I never managed to finish. Both were part of the 'universe' that I've created for my trilogy. I don't have a title yet, but I do have a basic storyline. More info as I pull all the pieces together...
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:11 pm

The problem with many writers darling is they often have way too many ideas for their computers to catch up with (wink) jot the ideas in a notebook for later and concentrate on the ones already in progress..smile..
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:55 am

My block on Seven is gone! *cheers ecstatically* My block on this novel has lasted for FIVE MONTHS. I have tried and failed to work on it since October last year, and I can now finally get chapter 6 finished, and take it off of hiatus. It is a huge weight off of my shoulders.

I'm so relieved...I thought I'd never be able to work on it again...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:23 am

Just letting everyone who's interested know that I am officially a published author, albeit self published - the first book in my trilogy, Never To Leave Me, is up in my Lulu.com store. I can't take all the credit for it though, my good friend Ashley was my co-writer, and without her I'd never have finished it. When I have a little bit of money, and access to a credit card, I'm going to buy a couple of copies and send one to her as a thank-you gift. It's the least I can do :)
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:04 pm

don't knock self publishing dear...you have accomplished a lot !!!

Congratulations
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:37 pm

I'm not knocking it :) It's just that a lot of people don't consider self-publishing to be in any way credible. I don't have the money to cover printing and postage costs to send my work to a conventional publisher, so I'll do this any way I can. And if that involves self-publishing, then so be it.

And thank you :-D
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:10 am

Congratulations Dream!!

I would like to order one of your books, but whenever I go to the site you listed, the page won't fully load. If I go into Lulu's main page and sign in to purchase that way... is that going to work (it will still show as through your store)?

Maybe one day if we meet at a future meet-n-greet, you can sign it for me. Of course, you're way over there in Australia, so that may be harder than anticipated. Sigh...

The "My Immortal" series sounds very familiar to me... and I may be sticking my foot in my mouth by asking... but have you been posting any of it here for critique, or am I just thinking it's ring a bell to me because it sounds so cool?

BY THE WAY... you should make another thread in our For Sale/Promo forum with the link to your book. It's found here....

http://wordtrip.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:55 am

The only part of my trilogy I've posted here was a short excerpt of Never To Leave Me, right here in my journal, but apart from that I haven't posted it.

And I had the same problem with trying to access my storefront after I'd logged out, which is strange *scratches head* You'd think it would work whether or not you're logged in...I'll have to bring that up with the site staff.
Slán go fóill,

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:36 pm

I look at it this way...all thoughs who poo-hoo self-publishing...where's your book?

One day self publishing will earn itself a new credability thanks to souls like you who get it out there...hats off... 8)
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:59 pm

*mutters to self* Don't get defensive...don't get defensive...

Okay. I think it's time for a long-overdue rant, so here goes...

One of the stories I've published over at Stay Dreaming (a hanfic archive), Seven, has been sitting there for ages now without one lonely review. I got an email this morning notifying me that I at last had a review for it, and it reads thus:

mmm... i'm not feeling this story. i'm sorry.

*deep breath* Well, that REALLY helps me, doesn't it? Jesus Christ... *sighs* I got pretty much the same reaction to Broken Angel:

I think you have potential. But I think you need to find another subject to work on. I don't mean don't write about Hanson, but find something other than cancer to write about; you might get more readers. You're writing isn't bad, but it needs work. I'm NOT saying you suck, so don't think that - I'm just saying that you could use some improvement.

I am pretty damn sure I know who left both reviews - my friend Ashley. But I'm going to wait for her to own up before I bitch at her, if she ever has the nerve to that is. *shifty eyes*

I only have this to say in response. I write for myself, and myself only. I don't write to accommodate others. I chose the subject matter for Seven because while I'd already explored the theme I'm writing about, I didn't explore it as well as I could have. And as for Broken Angel, it is the final book in a trilogy. The Macquarie Dictionary defines a trilogy as 'a series or group of three related dramas, operas, novels, etc.' In other words, Broken Angel has pretty much the same characters as its predecessors, and THE SAME DAMN SUBJECT MATTER! I refuse to compromise my creativity for the needs of others. I like the way I write. I'm a sadist for crying out loud.

*grins maniacally* I feel a bitch fight coming on...this should be fun...
Slán go fóill,

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Hey Dream... I would agree that the comments you were given were less than helpful. It sounded like an opinion from someone who really has no advise whatsoever.

It would be like someone sending me a medical journal and asking my advise on whether it's written properly... I'm not qualified and would have no clue. I wonder if this person is just being opinionated rather than looking at the stories from the POV of what other readers may be interested in.

mmm... i'm not feeling this story. i'm sorry.

This means nothing to me. It says nothing, it conveys nothing and it's stupid (and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better about the fact your angry about the response from this person).

So you're saying this person complained that the third book to your trilogy has the same characters and same subject matter? That's weird. There has to be another way to say these things... by giving specifics.

. . . and I can see that you would probably enjoy the bitch fight . . . being a sadist, and all. :-D :wink:
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:29 pm

I would, though not as much as I would if Ashley wasn't my best friend.

I knew straight off that it was Ashley because of two things. One, she always writes in lower case in comments to my online journal, so even though it was a different site it wasn't that hard to tell. And two, she didn't like Seven when she first had a look at it. The very least she could have done was give some constructive comments on it. I'd do the same for her, and I have in the past.

Needless to say, I'm not sending Broken Angel to her when I get some more work done on it.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:38 pm

It wasn't Ashley who left those reviews on my fics. It was a friend of hers. I only thought it was her because it was sort of the thing she might say about my writing. So I was wrong, as per usual :roll:

I'm really glad I waited to confront her about it, because, well...I would have flown right off of the handle about it. I needed to give myself a few days to cool down. She finally twigged about an hour ago that I was, well...less than happy with her about something. And I just sent Seven to her for the first time in almost a year, so we'll see how that goes. *crosses fingers*
Slán go fóill,

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”