...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:49 am

way to go dream! :clap: :rock: :congrats:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:52 am

*bows* :-D

So...a month since my last update. Let's see how I'm travelling...

I've started work on the sequel to Trinity, which I've titled A Year's Worth Of Yesterdays, and it's coming along quite nicely. I'm also beginning work on planning out my NaNovel for this year, which I've christened October Grey - it's the name of a song by an Australian band called The Screaming Jets. The story itself will revolve around a group of eight unsigned bands who have been chosen to participate in a travelling music festival/battle of the bands, sort of along the lines of the Vans Warped Tour. I have my character list and my soundtrack worked out, now I just need to work out the details of the tour and I'll be set. NaNo should be very interesting this year, considering that I have to go to school four days a week - next year, it'll be even worse...
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:05 pm

Yes, I am alive.

Yes, I am still writing.

It's been a battle to get anything of real substance written, though. And I think I know why - a complete lack of motivation in the writing department, and an utter dearth of ideas. I blame NaNoWriMo for my lack of ideas, because I've spent the past five months tweaking my plans for October Grey and I'm just...drained. I am honestly having trouble writing at the moment, and only my fellow writers will know how incredibly frustrating that can be. Not only is it frustrating, but it also scares me a little. The only things I've been able to write are a short story during my recent yearly English exam, and the beginning of the rewrite of Angel, the latter of which will form the prequel for my NaNovel.

I only hope I can drag myself out of this by Halloween. I've spent ages on my NaNo prep, and I will be VERY pissed off if my muse decides he wants to take a holiday right when I actually want to write...

ETA: Just adding in something I forgot to mention:

I finished Desperately Wanting at the end of August, after five months of work and a year's hiatus (which was under a different title, so I tend not to count it). Final stats:

Words: 23,294
Chapters: 7 (9 if I include the prologue and the epilogue)
Pages: 66
Starting date: March 1 2006
Completed: August 29 2006

I'm quite proud of it, so I'm going to self-publish it. I just need to make the cover. It's short, but Animal Farm (by George Orwell - had to study it in English this year) wasn't much longer, and it was published decades ago. So why not?

I think I'm going to go the self-publishing route with all my books. It's easier, and I have control over every aspect of the process - not to mention it's quicker.
Slán go fóill,

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:51 pm

Yeah! Dreamcatcher is still around!

Good luck on the publishing...
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:49 pm

My muse has shifted himself into high gear. :/

Ordinarily I wouldn't be bitching about that, considering the sheer difficulty I've had with getting my muse to cooperate lately. But considering that it's a month until NaNoWriMo begins, and I had this same problem with my muse last year, I'm a little annoyed. And like last year the ideas that are being kicked up have nothing to do with my NaNovel.

I want to write a story set in a circus.

I'm not kidding. We have an honest-to-the-Goddess circus troupe right here in the Illawarra called Circus Monoxide - right now they're set up on the Shellharbour Village Green, and I go past their 'compound' on my way home from school. And, well, I sort of have a minor fascination with circuses and the nomadic lifestyle associated with them. This is despite the fact that I have only ever seen two live circus performances in my life - one by the Moscow Circus in the late 1980s/early 1990s where the tent caught fire about a quarter of the way through the show (I am not kidding any of you on that - scared my mother off circuses for the rest of her life), and the Flying Fruit Fly Circus (their Outburst! Children of the Sun tour) when I was 13. I've seen a few Cirque du Soleil performances, but they were on TV (Saltimbanco is on TV this weekend actually - must remember to watch it). I think it could definitely be something interesting when it comes to writing it, though I'm not going to start writing it now. I'll save it for the new year. I'll just do my research and character development for now. I already have some ideas for characters brewing.

Speaking of NaNo, I thought I'd share my basic plot and characters with anyone who's interested.

Title: October Grey
Origin of title: A song by the Australian band The Screaming Jets - I am a huge fan of the Jets, and naming my NaNovel after a song of theirs is my way of paying homage to one of my favourite Australian bands.
Basic plot: A group of eight unsigned bands travelling around Australia in a travelling battle of the bands/music festival, with the winning band being awarded a recording contract. The whole thing is sort of akin to Warped or the Big Day Out.
Characters:

Characters are listed in order of the band they are in, and focus characters are the characters that will receive the lion's share of the dialogue.

Ionosphere:

Ashley Belmont: lead vocals
Sulwyn Kendrick: drums
Aeryn Cunningham: bass
Taylor Angel: electric guitar
o Focus: Taylor Angel

Earthcore:

Sascha Freedman: piano and lead vocals
Alicia Benson: guitar
Danica Heywood: bass
Rian Hindricks: drums
o Focus: Sascha Freedman

Frequency:

Cassie Hyde: piano
Dylan Meares: guitar and lead vocals
Shawn Hanlon: bass
Anna Cullen: drums
o Focus: Shawn Hanlon

Blindside:

Michael Kinsey: guitar
Chris Bowman: bass
Jason Paulsen: drums and lead vocals
o Focus: Jason Paulsen

Shifted Reality:

Asher Hoyland: guitar
Craig Debnam: drums
Nick Gaithers: bass and lead vocals
o Focus: Asher Hoyland

The Tasmaniacs:

Stephanie Danvers: piano
Justin Danvers: guitar
Holly Danvers: bass
Melissa Danvers: violin and lead vocals
Trent Danvers: drums
o Focus: Stephanie Danvers

The Reservists:

Grant Shipp: guitar
Cara King: piano and lead vocals
Rachel Brown: bass
Travis Dawson: drums
o Focus: Rachel Brown

October Grey:

Aidan Hanson: electric guitar
Ebony Hanson: harmonica, flute and lead vocals
Zac Hanson: drums and percussion
Taylor Hanson: piano and acoustic guitar
Nicole Gorman: bass
o Focuses: Aidan Hanson; Ebony Hanson; Taylor Hanson

I also have a few other characters that will be in the first half, and who will be making the occasional appearance throughout the novel.

I've collected a whole load of dares that will be used, so for the first time this whole novel will be more or less dare-driven. But I am looking forward to it - after the debacle that was last year's NaNo, I'm determined to make this work.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:57 am

Well, it's finished :D And just in time for NaNo as well.

I typed out the last words on the rewrite of Angel (the prequel to October Grey) at approximately six o'clock yesterday morning. I stayed up ALL FREAKING NIGHT working on it - I basically lost track of time, which is entirely a good thing if you ask me. The final stats:

Words: 26,360
Chapters: 9 (10 if I include the prologue)
Pages: 59
Starting date: September 7 2006
Completed: October 28 2006

And now that THAT'S finished, I can focus all of my energy on getting ready to work on October Grey. NaNo begins for me in a bit less than three days, so it's just a matter of getting myself all psyched up and ready for the madness to begin...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 am

Dear GODDESS I'm pathetic.

I suppose I have an excuse for not having updated for so long. And that excuse is school. I am knee-deep in homework, assessment tasks (though not this week thank goodness, being the moratorium week before exams) and my major project for Drama. I'm taking advantage of my creative talents and am writing a script for a short play that I've christened Five Years From Now. In addition, I'm hard at work on my own fiction, and with beginning to build up my writing folio. I've chosen the university degree that I want to do for the next three years - the Bachelor of Creative Arts (Creative Writing) - and my local university requires the submission of a folio in addition to the final rank that I'll receive after my exams. I'm aiming for 80, which will hopefully stand me in good stead for my application. I'm also going to look into a journalism degree.

Updates on my WIPs:

A Year's Worth Of Yesterdays
Current word count: 16,312 words

AYWOY is the sequel to my Hanson/Harry Potter crossover, Trinity - I'm aiming for around 40K-50K when it's done.

Never To Leave Me
Current word count: 41,274 words

Yep. Still working on it. Or trying to, anyway...

October Grey
Current word count: 36,880 words

From this word count, you can probably all surmise that I never managed to finish NaNo. But hell, I got a lot closer last year than I did in 2005. And in a first for me, I'm still working on it.

Nothing In This World
Current word count: 4,777 words

I started writing this story almost three years ago, and I finally got around to picking it up again a couple of months ago. I am quite liking the way it's turned out.

The Way Of All Things
Current word count: 14,069 words

This one was a lot longer the last time I updated, and I have a reason for that - I got stuck. It was sitting stagnant on my hard drive for about a year and a half before I decided to take another crack at it, and it's going well so far. I'm certainly enjoying working on it a lot more, that's for sure. :)
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:42 am

What is it with me and neglecting this blog of mine? *shakes head in dismay*

This is, of course, proof that I am indeed still alive. And I'm still writing, though not all of my writing energies are being spent on my fiction. I am currently splitting my writing time on university applications, school work and my novel - I have a creative writing folio to finish and submit by the end of September, two scripts to finish by the 18th of August, an English essay due in two weeks, and a novel that has a self-mandated completion date of May 29 2008 (incidentally, a week before I turn 24). I also turned 23 a month ago, but that's a different story entirely.

My novel is taking up all my personal writing time, and with good reason. I'm basically planning to enter it in the 2009 ABC Fiction Award (which is a writing competition I was contemplating entering a couple of years ago). I am a few days too late to enter the 2008 competition, being that it closed on the Friday just past, but I'm giving myself eleven months to get my entry for the 2009 competition finished in time to get a synopsis written. I'm basically working on turning Never To Leave Me into a wholly original novel, in combination with Angel and October Grey, with the aim of getting my story told in 110,000 words at the absolute most. There is a mandated word limit on this competition of 120K, so I'm basically allowing myself 10K of leeway. The title has also changed, to November Rain - it's the title of my favourite Guns 'n' Roses song, and also the title of a story that never really got off the ground, as much as I really wanted it to. It just feels like it fits - I can't explain it, but it does. It means some shuffling around of the story, but I honestly don't mind. If it means finishing Never To Leave Me/November Rain and finally being happy with it, after four years of rewriting and drafting, then fine. All part of the creative process, right?

For those of you who are interested, here is a short snippet of November Rain:

Seven o’clock saw us sitting in a McDonald’s on the Pacific Highway in Port Macquarie, eating a breakfast of pancakes drenched in as much maple syrup as we’d been able to con out of the half-asleep girl who had served us. I was eating with one hand and toying with my phone with my other, not even noticing that Ebony was eating the lion’s share of our shared breakfast.

“Why don’t you just call him?” Ebony asked as the time on my watch ticked over to 7:05.

“Because I’ll probably wake him up.”

Ebony eyed me. “Ayd, if I know our brother as well as I should by now, he’s probably sitting there in that hotel room, wide awake, wishing someone would call him and tell him that everything’s going to be all right. He’s probably scared witless. And frankly…I wouldn’t be able to blame him.” She slid the remainder of the pancakes across the table to me and put her fork down. “I’m going to go and wash my hands. You ring Taylor and tell him not to worry.” She gave me a big smile before wandering off in search of the ladies’.

I put my own fork down and wiped my slightly-sticky left hand off on my jeans, before scrolling through my phone’s address book in search of my brother’s number. Having found it, I hit SEND and waited for him to answer.

After about five rings, a sleepy voice greeted me. “‘Lo?”

“I knew you’d be asleep,” I said. “‘Morning Tay.”

“Aidan?” my brother asked, sounding a little more awake. “Wh-where are you?”

“At a Maccas in Port Macquarie. You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m all right. When’re you gonna get here?”

“Probably sometime around lunch, maybe a bit later. Depends how long we end up being in Newcastle for.”

“‘Kay,” my brother said, so quietly I wasn’t sure he had even said anything. He sounded so scared, so alone, something completely uncharacteristic for him, that I knew I had to say something. But I couldn’t find the words.

“I’ll let you go back to sleep,” I said. “You sound like you need it. See you at lunch, yeah?”

“Yeah, no worries,” he said, voice heavy with sleep again. He hung up without saying goodbye, and I was left with the sound of the engaged tone buzzing in my ear.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:04 am

Okay, so it has been a couple of months. But the good news is that the writing will be happening on a much more regular basis very soon - I graduate from Year 12 on September 27 and take my final exams between October 19 and November 9.

And yes, even though it begins the day I take my Ancient History exam, I will be attempting NaNoWriMo for the fifth year in a row.

I already have my genre and plot - a six-fandom, urban fantasy crossover fan fiction set in a boarding school, incorporating one of the major plot points I used in Trinity - that is, elementals. The fandoms I will be using are Hanson, Supernatural, Torchwood, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Charmed and Harry Potter. I have never attempted a crossover of this magnitude before, so I only hope I can manage it, and with losing three and a half days of writing time on top of it all. Should be interesting.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:04 pm

I really need to update this more often.

I managed to win NaNoWriMo for the third time at long last - I finished my 50K mere hours before I was due to attend my Year 12 Formal, with a word count of 50,260. :-D And I haven't touched it since, because my laptop is acting up. That, and my parents' laptop was hit by a power surge, so I'm not using my laptop again until I can get a surge protector - which means I can't get into my writing folder.

I also had my interview for the Bachelor of Creative Arts degree about three weeks ago, and I'm fairly sure I did all right. I didn't get a conditional offer, though, which is disappointing. I get my exam results on Wednesday, and main round offers go out in January, so I'll know then if I made it into the BCA or not.

Not only that, but November Rain is going well. I've written 24,595 words out of a final revised count of 90K, and have also been working on some later chapters so that I can get them out of my head. I'm giving myself until a week before my 24th birthday to get the whole thing written. It does remain to be seen if I manage it, but I'll see how things go.
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun May 11, 2008 5:57 am

Reiterating what I said little more than 18 months ago:

I am alive. And I am still writing.

I essentially have three things occupying me at this point in time - looking for work, my writing, and university. And before anyone breaks out the champagne, I didn't get accepted to the Creative Arts program. I'm doing the next best thing, however (in my opinion, anyhow) - a Bachelor of Arts in Literature and Composition, which is essentially a glorified English degree coupled with creative writing. Providing I keep on my current study schedule, I will graduate from Griffith University in 2014, as I'm only studying part time. I'm also studying externally, which means it's up to me to get my work done. Which isn't as easy as it sounds, trust me.

My writing is going exceptionally well - not only am I over halfway through November Rain, with 57,236 words written out of a projected 90K, but on New Year's Day I began work on my first new 'standalone' story since 2005, 'standalone' meaning that it's not a crossover, and nor is it a rewrite of an older story. The latter story is working out even better than I could have hoped, and people really seem to like it. So needless to say, I'm quite pleased with myself. :-D I aim to have November Rain complete by New Year's Eve.
Slán go fóill,

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri May 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment! \:D/ :thumbwink: :rock: :afro: :congrats: :yimdance: :yessir: :yimclap:
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 am

*sweeps a bow*

I have some fantastic news in relation to November Rain - after almost five and a half years, it's finally complete! :-D I wrote the very last words on it almost two weeks ago. I still can't believe it's finished. The final statistics, should anyone be interested:

Words: 100,394
Chapters: 27, excluding the Interlude and Epilogue
Pages: 258
Starting date: February 3 2003
Completed: July 19 2008

I haven't written more than 100K since late 2004, so that's an achievement in itself. It's worth noting, however, that these stats are for the fan fiction version. To make it publishable I have to strip away each and every song lyric, line of poetry and Hanson reference so it passes for original fiction. I've already gone through and made a list of what has to be taken out so that I don't get in trouble. Australian copyright laws are very strict about it - the laws for fair use here in Oz allow for works to be quoted solely for the purposes of research, study, review or criticism, and my novel fits none of those categories. The only thing that can stay in is a short snippet of the original version of Amazing Grace, as it's been out of copyright for a few hundred years and so falls under public domain.

I don't think I'm going to write another novel with the sort of ending that November Rain has for a very long time, if I ever do again. Writing this one took so much out of me emotionally, and I have a real need to write something happy for once. The next one I finish will have a much happier ending.

One thing that has got me well and truly fired up to win the ABC Fiction Award is the fact that all three winners have been men. It's most likely my feminist side coming out, but I really would like to be the first female winner of the competition. It remains to be seen if I'll manage it, but it's worth a shot.
Slán go fóill,

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am

Well I hope you win, but whether you do or not CONGRATS ON FINISHING A BOOK!!!!! That's an accomplishment in and of itself. (And one I haven't been able to claim . . . yet.) I bow to you and your finished greatness :bow:
Is this my reality or yours?
ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:18 am

Good for you! Finishing a book is so liberating.

Good luck on the contest. :-D

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”