...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Dreamcatcher
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

...on and on we stand alone... // Dreamcatcher's Journal

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 1:56 am

Thought I may as well jump on the bandwagon and make a writing journal for myself...

The first half of my journal's title is a lyric from the song Perfect, by the band Simple Plan. It's a song I love, and can relate to. Whether it's my friends asking me if I'm a Christian (FYI, I'm an atheist) or if I have my learner's permit, or my parents expecting me to go with what they want me to be (interpreter), rather than what I want to do with myself (secondary school teacher), it's almost as if they expect me to be perfect.

Newsflash - I'm not perfect. I never was, and I never will be.

So, about me. I'm 19 years old (soon to be turning 20, next Saturday in fact), have been writing semi-seriously for six years (seriously for two) and I live in Australia. I've finished two novels, self-published one, and I've got four novels-in-progress. They're fan fiction (I won't say who I write fan fiction about), but I'm going to rewrite them when I'm done. The stats on my WIPs:

Star: 71,476 words, 24 chapters. I've been working on it more or less non-stop since September 2003, though it is currently on a month's hiatus. I need this month's break, trust me. I am sincerely hoping I can pick up from where I left off come Monday. Anyway, it's the first book in what will eventually become a series.
Angel: 27,445 words, 10 chapters. Sequel/spin-off for my self-published novel, Immortal. I've been working on it for about six weeks.
Eternity: This one is on an indefinite hiatus - I've been working on it for six months, nearly seven, and it is not going well. I'm seriously considering scrapping it altogether - decision pending.
Seven: 7,739 words, 2 chapters. I'm tossing up between this one and Star to be the one I make an attempt at getting published - Seven is proving to be a lot easier to rewrite as I write the fan fiction version, however. I think it'll depend on which one I can finish and edit first. I've been working on it for about three weeks.

Angel and Seven, in their original fiction incarnations, can both be found in my space at the site FictionPress - I'll be taking Seven down when it's finished, both from my site and from FictionPress, so that I don't lose my first publishing rights. That's only if I decide to try and have it published, though. *thinks*

Anyway, back to the grindstone...

Edit [ Jan. 01 2005 ] : I've changed my journal's title to a lyric from Open Your Eyes by Alter Bridge - it's a song I particularly like at the moment.
Last edited by Dreamcatcher on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slán go fóill,

Aeryn @-->--- | My writing space | The Tightrope

Magick is Intention amplified by Emotion
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat May 29, 2004 2:21 am

ok i hope nobody thinks less of me for this...but wut is fan fiction????
im so lost
wow its great youve done all that writing though, and self published...those are impressive accomplishments
id luv to see some of wut youve written!
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
LostCoastArtist
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LostCoastArtist » Sat May 29, 2004 2:26 am

Fan fiction is fiction written by fans of a movie, TV show, video game, whatever, that takes place in that given world. So any random fan of StarWars who writes a story set in that world is writing StarWars fan fiction for example.
Last edited by LostCoastArtist on Sat May 29, 2004 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 2:27 am

What LostCoastArtist said. Only what I write is what we in the 'industry' call real person fiction - I use celebrities as my characters. Lots of fun if you know what you're doing. I write fan fiction (or fanfic for short) about the members of one of my favourite bands (again, I'm not saying which band - I doubt that anyone here likes them).
Slán go fóill,

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat May 29, 2004 2:30 am

oh ok...i think i get it...sorry one of my friends was talking about fanfic and i looked at her like she had 2 heads too
im sheltered *sniffle*
when are u 20? im 19 too, ready to be 20...hoping itll be different from 19 anyways
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 2:36 am

Delaney wrote:when are u 20? im 19 too, ready to be 20...hoping itll be different from 19 anyways

Next Saturday.
Slán go fóill,

LostCoastArtist
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LostCoastArtist » Sat May 29, 2004 2:41 am

Delaney wrote:...hoping itll be different from 19 anyways

I wouldn't count on it, but maybe you'll be lucky.
Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Sat May 29, 2004 2:44 am

I'm pretty new here, but, from what I've seen, it's tough to make people think less of you.

(Let me digress to add that I might manage it. I've finally decided on a sig. It will no doubt offend the Blame-America-Firsters and the liberals who piously spout nonsense about courageous Muslim freedom-fighters laying down their lives so their people can have a better life)

'Scuse me. I do get carried away. Anyway, FanFic is writing about somebody else’s characters and/or the fictional world created by another writer. For example, there are quite a few Star Trek novels featuring Captain Kirk or Captain Picard and the Enterprise. Most of these are written by people who weren't even born when The Original Series aired. If you try to distribute FanFic, you are liable to be in violation of copyright law, even if the writing is all yours.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat May 29, 2004 3:16 am

that clears things up...btw nephtalius...that pic is wicked creepy...makes me feel like ur gonna say something mean everytime u post lol
no offence...just thought id comment ;-)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat May 29, 2004 10:41 am

Nephtalius wrote:I'm pretty new here, but, from what I've seen, it's tough to make people think less of you.

Agreed. So Dreamcatcher, feel free to tell us what band (unless you just don't want us to know.) If we don't like it, we'll tease you mercilessly . . . but more likely, SOMEone will like . . . I mean, CP has CDs of YODELING, fer cryin' out loud . . .

(Let me digress to add that I might manage it. I've finally decided on a sig. It will no doubt offend the Blame-America-Firsters and the liberals who piously spout nonsense about courageous Muslim freedom-fighters laying down their lives so their people can have a better life)

So you're trying to tick off BOTH sides, huh?

Logistically, of course, both the extremes you mention are . . . well, extreme. So I can only assume that you mean your signature to be sarcastic?
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat May 29, 2004 11:20 am

Hey, Mudge...Charles and I have something in common. I have some OLD records of a whistler!

Neph, your signature is right on.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Sat May 29, 2004 11:50 am

TheMudge wrote:So I can only assume that you mean your signature to be sarcastic?

No.

Don't mean to tick anybody off. Just making a statement. Expressing my opinion.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat May 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Neph: History would argue your opinion, my friend . . .

Dreamcatcher: I think it is human nature to want people to be like US . . . not necessarily PERFECT, but LIKE US. We're all so afraid that we're doing things the wrong way, that we try to convince others to do things OUR way, so we can say we're OK.

The harder somebody tries to convice me that he is completely right, the more I think that person is either insecure in his beliefs . . . or delusional.

I hereby give you permission to be yourself. And not feel guilty about it.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat May 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Mudge, NOBODY is ever completely right!
Exept me! :twisted:

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 8:57 pm

Well, so long as nobody thinks it'd be funny to give me hell about this - I really doubt anyone here likes them, but what the heck *laughs*

I'm a Hanson fan. Have been since I was 13. And yeah, I write fan fiction about them - I have a sadistic side, and writing fan fiction is how I utilise it. All I can say is, I really hope none of them read my writing, as they'll probably want to have me locked up! :lol:
Slán go fóill,

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat May 29, 2004 9:07 pm

Well, to tell you how far out I am, I don't even know who/what Hanson is. :cry:

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat May 29, 2004 9:12 pm

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 10:21 pm

Anblick wrote:Try here, Mlou!

*shudder* I wouldn't touch that place with a forty-foot barge pole - the forums are full of freaks. Plus the moderators are evil personified *shudders again*

Okay. I am having a little trouble getting started on chapter 3 of Seven, but I'll get into the swing of things soon enough. Well, at least I hope so. 694 words so far (710 for the 'other' version; I have to cut out some of the 'finer details' after all), across nearly two A4 pages (10pt News Gothic MT), and I want to get at least 3000 for this chapter. I managed 3308 for the first chapter, so I know that I'm more than capable of it. Star will be coming off its month's hiatus on Tuesday - I want to have Part 3 finished by the end of September. Almost four months to get twelve chapters done - that's a cinch. Three chapters a month, I can manage that easily. Hell, if I can write a 50K novel in 26 days during NaNoWriMo, I can do anything :D

I don't know why, but I am feeling some serious indifference towards my upcoming birthday. I've never felt this way before - I didn't ask for anything for my birthday, which is a first. 'Course, I didn't ask for much for the Christmas just gone either. *shrugs and sighs* I'll probably feel a lot different next year, it's the 'big one' after all...
Slán go fóill,

Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Sat May 29, 2004 10:23 pm

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Anblick wrote:Try here, Mlou!

*shudder* I wouldn't touch that place with a forty-foot barge pole - the forums are full of freaks. Plus the moderators are evil personified *shudders again*

Okay. I am having a little trouble getting started on chapter 3 of Seven, but I'll get into the swing of things soon enough. Well, at least I hope so. 694 words so far (710 for the 'other' version; I have to cut out some of the 'finer details' after all), across nearly two A4 pages (10pt News Gothic MT), and I want to get at least 3000 for this chapter. I managed 3308 for the first chapter, so I know that I'm more than capable of it. Star will be coming off its month's hiatus on Tuesday - I want to have Part 3 finished by the end of September. Almost four months to get twelve chapters done - that's a cinch. Three chapters a month, I can manage that easily. Hell, if I can write a 50K novel in 26 days during NaNoWriMo, I can do anything :D

I don't know why, but I am feeling some serious indifference towards my upcoming birthday. I've never felt this way before - I didn't ask for anything for my birthday, which is a first. 'Course, I didn't ask for much for the Christmas just gone either. *shrugs and sighs* I'll probably feel a lot different next year, it's the 'big one' after all...

Is that not the Hanson you meant, DC?
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sat May 29, 2004 11:01 pm

That's exactly who I meant. I used to be a member of the forums there, but it's gone to the dogs - it all went downhill last year sometime. Oh well, it's no big loss. *shrug*

If any of you check that site out, I'll warn you right now - don't venture into the forums if you want your sanity to remain intact.
Slán go fóill,

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun May 30, 2004 3:32 am

i used to be in love with them. i had their picture in my wallet and would freak out if i left it somewhere. unbelievable. that was 7th grade, but it still upset me when Taylor got married a couple yrs ago.
kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby kexxy » Sun May 30, 2004 8:03 pm

ya, well their kid is cute, but unfourtunatly they gave her the weirdest name, but heck it could be worse, expecially with names for celebrity babies this month.
Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!
Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Sun May 30, 2004 11:24 pm

kexxy wrote:ya, well their kid is cute, but unfourtunatly they gave her the weirdest name, but heck it could be worse, expecially with names for celebrity babies this month.

*laughs* If you're talking about Taylor Hanson's kid, he's got a son. But yeah, Gwyneth Paltrow is a bit of a nutcase. Imagine calling your kid 'Apple'...

I managed to get chapter 3 of Seven finished last night - I'm not entirely sure how long it's going to be, but I'm guessing it'll be pretty long. Chapter word counts thus far:

Prologue: 1,049
Chapter 1: 3,308
Chapter 2: 2,572
Chapter 3: 2,790

Total word count to date is 9,919 words. That includes the couple of paragraphs that I've written for chapter 4.

I've scrapped Eternity altogether - I may or may not pick it up again in the future, but it all depends on my feelings toward it. *sigh* And it was going so well...

Oh well, such is the life of a writer. I knew it was a bad idea to let my muse run wild last November. This NaNo I'm tying her down, and every time she tries to deviate from the task at hand, she had better watch out...
Slán go fóill,

Dreamcatcher

Postby Dreamcatcher » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:17 am

I've made some decisions concerning Star - I'm not going to try and have it published just yet. I'll keep it as fan fiction for the time being. For one thing, it's barely half-done. I'm just not exactly ready to show it off unless it's online. But I have made a start on writing Part Three, and that's going pretty well so far.

I do know one thing though. I'm going to do a complete rewrite of my self-published novel, Immortal - I decided last night that I want to try and get it published. I'm proud of the way it turned out, but it needs a little work. Okay, a lot. I spent a great deal of last year rewriting and refining it, but...the way it is now, I wouldn't have Buckley's chance of getting it published. From a publishing standpoint, it sucks.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to change the title back to the one I used originally (Not Such An Innocent Girl). I'm going to change character names, ditch entire chapters and rewrite others, the whole nine yards. It's going to be a long, difficult process, I know that now, but I'm prepared. I'll leave Immortal up at FictionPress for a few more weeks, then I'm going to delete it and give myself a fresh start. This should be interesting...
Slán go fóill,

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:34 am

I'd really like to read some of your stuff to get a grasp on what fan-fic is like. Could you submit an excerpt or something?

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”