CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks.

I managed to "plot" out 16 chapters to the story (very basic 1-2 sentence descriptions of what happens in each chapter).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:51 pm

That's a start. (your further ahead than I am)
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, I found the ulitmate way to make sure nobody bugs me when I'm not writing... I found some of my stuff from High School and Comp 101... I think I'm going to type it in and inflict it upon you poor souls.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm

spare us. please? ;)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 am

Well, just the threat worked.

I've not been fictionizing, but I have been working on some writing. It's taking the form of more in depth essay-type blog posts (on various sites), and not a substitute for "more serious" writing... but it's a start and giving the fingers a workout at any rate.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:33 am

I posted a "two pens" challenge/commitment for myself on the beta wordtrip blog (http://home.wordtrip.com ) and being only two days into it I've not failed yet (how's that for optimism). You'll have to pop over to the beta site to see what the "challenge" is.

I have been doing a little writing stil, no fiction, but at least pounding out the words for something. Mostly it has been "articles" on my personal blog ( http://blog.charlespillsbury.com though the last one there I really needed to edit more), or my sciencey/gadgety/educationy/philosotainment blog ( http://home.countthatdaylost.com ), or some follow up e-mails that are serving as rough drafts for further posts (I realized that one day this week I had over 2000 words in those alone).
Last edited by charlesp on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:43 am

write away!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am

My pen challenge has only been halfway working. I carry the two pens with me each day to work so that helps keep it in my head, but I've not been as every day with it as I'd like.

On the other hand, I'm doing pretty good with the blogging thing, and have a few rough drafts and essays I think I'm going to try and string together into a non-fic project to prep for proposal.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 am

My philosophy is that any writing is good. They say you need to make writing a habit. A lot of people think that only applies to "creative" writing. If you can make any writing a habit (i.e. blogs, articles, journals, etc.) that it would be much easier to slide over to the "creative" side and write that way for a bit while you're feeding your habit.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:58 pm

No fiction still, but you can see what I've been working on at:

http://blog.charlespillsbury.com
http://home.countthatdaylost.com
http://home.wordtrip.com

I'm averaging at least a post a day, though admittedly most of them are 100 words of quote from an article and 50 words of my commentary. I'm trying to get 300 words or so in one of the posts every other day or so.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:23 pm

charlesp wrote:No fiction still, but you can see what I've been working on at:

http://blog.charlespillsbury.com
http://home.countthatdaylost.com
http://home.wordtrip.com

I'm averaging at least a post a day, though admittedly most of them are 100 words of quote from an article and 50 words of my commentary. I'm trying to get 300 words or so in one of the posts every other day or so.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I'm actually getting closer to 1000 words every other day spread between the three spots. Trying to build good habits of writing every day, and eventually that will translate back into fiction.

Though I did do a small script for a 5 minute skit thing for a friend from church this week.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:30 am

I've not been AS good with blogging, but still being pretty consistent, if not as prolific each day. I'm now working my head back into a fiction mindset.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:07 pm

I sidetracked my fiction mindset and have ended up in non-fiction land. I'm outlining and have started working on something in the philosophy realm (for lack of a better category without giving too much away and starting a whole discussion).

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:11 pm

writing is writing no matter what the genre or turth to it.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 pm

2008 ended up with thousands and thousands of words, but largely unusable ones for anything larger than what they were (long e-mail debates on philosophy, science, and theology... essays of a couple thousand words in a go). They were useful in helping me frame my mindset on certain things, but they weren't the most productive in the context of usable "writing". I also did some writing on my personal blog (www.charlespillsbury.com) and a tiny bit of commentary on www.countthatdaylost.com .

2009 has netted almost zero writing of ANY kind, though certainly feeling 'the itch' (I blame John Greene, Neil Gaiman, and Jamie Ford for this itch).

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:27 am

I still firmly believe that any writing is good writing. You might not think it "usable" outside of blogs, email, etc., but it's helping you craft sentences, string complex thoughts together, and design a flow to a piece. That certainly counts as "usable" even if you can't sell it. Keep writing cp!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:09 pm

I may be working towards my 10K hours (re: Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers) with the words I've put to page this year, but they seem to be playing with words and not "writing" to me. And yes, I'm picking up this conversation 6 fracking months later.

I had a nice conversation with my CIO (I work in IT, CIO is like the CEO of an IT department who answers only to the CEO) the other day who was an english major, spent some time as a copy writer, and before he started his current position he wrote his first novel, which he's editing right now. I was both inspired and depressed by this. I'm not sure which is going to win out in the short term.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun May 30, 2010 10:08 pm

The writing I'm not doing:
I started NaNoWriMo and ended up letting it die a slow painful death due to illness and "stuff"... the story is still in files somewhere, waiting to be picked up.
Almost all blogging has stopped. I was writing essays for a while, but neither e-mail or blogging ones are being written any more.
No short stories, no novels, no essays, no blogs... too much time spent in my own head.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

You wrote here. That should count for something.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Tomorrow I've got a guest-blog post at www.yearwithoutdisney.com .... Having me write on YearWithoutDisney is sort of like having Ron Jeremy teaching your abstinence only sex-ed, and yet I'm doing it :D I'm not DOING a year without Disney, but I'm talking about art and marketing on the blog of the person doing it.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:20 pm

I could do a year without Disney, but that's because I don't have kids. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Way to go cp!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 pm

Looks like it went up this morning: http://www.yearwithoutdisney.com/2010/0 ... marketing/ It was a fun thing to think about/write... and I'll possibly do a couple more to respond/expand.

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 pm

Thank God you tightened it up.
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah... It could have used more editing (I probably ditched 2-3 entire versions of the piece before sticking with that one)... but as the ONLY feedback I got from first readers was your "ditch the rambly first two paragraphs" (thank you BTW :D) I had gotten so far into echo-chamber of my mind territory by the time I turned it in I opted to leave it as is.

I was also trying to weigh how far to explore it in the initial piece, vs allow room for discussion in comments, vs allow for follow up posts... which some feedback would probably have helped too. BUT... for what it is, I was pretty happy with most of it.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:27 am

Hey, whatever keeps us writing has to be good! :)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”