CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:50 am

Caring for sick children and spouse... and fighting deadlines from the Fed

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 am

no smartass response? are you ok, charles? :?

hope everyone's feeling better.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm exhausted from all the weekend activities and sick people care and such... and I think I've got a little touch of whatever Jake's got as I'm still functional but it feels like I'm running a slight fever (and have off and on for the last couple of days)... not enough to knock me out, but enough to wear me out.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 pm

i know how you feel, actually
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:01 am

wow... how pathetic is this... been 8 months since my last entry and I've not written much of anything. I did have a little piece I did for a challenge with Anblick a month or three ago... but otherwise not much. Why is it so much easier to drop a good habit (writing) than it is to drop a bad habit (not writing)? The last few weeks I've tried to just give myself the mental freedom from having writing "looming" over me as something I'm not doing, and that seems to have helped get back the "vibe" that makes me WANT to write vs feeling like I SHOULD write. Not that there are any results yet... but it may be a step in the right direction (or may just be me fooling myself again).

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:26 pm

what writer doesn't want to have this sort of story?
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilb ... story.html

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:05 pm

I've not been back to the fiction table yet, but have in the past week or so started to make an attempt at putting some words on a page (a page being my personal blog in this case). It's not what I'd hope to have for output, but it's a start and as Ze points out in this great version of "the show", sometimes you have to start filling in the squares, even if you don't get them all done.
http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives ... 31207.html

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:47 am

baby steps.
Is this my reality or yours?
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Every little bit helps prime the pump.
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:25 pm

well... vacataion is done... I did a little bit of blogging when I got back, but also have a bit of a bug going to get back at writing (not just the guilty feeling from not writing). I picked up The War of Art and have started reading it a bit... nicely broken up into small sections for easy digestion.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:14 pm

From my personal blog...

http://blog.charlespillsbury.com/?p=56
I am not a writer

In the past, I have been a writer. In the future, I hope to be a writer. But right now, I am not a writer. For the past couple years I’ve been administrating a website for readers, writers, and poets. At some point in my life I’d say I’ve been all of those things, but now I’m only a reader.

Why do I say I’m not a writer? Because there is a saying in the writing world, “A Writer writes.” and I simply don’t write. In late spring of 2006 I attended the Orson Scott Card writing class that runs in conjunction with his Literary Boot Camp. My roommate for that time was Jamie Ford, who was attending the full “Boot Camp” program. He had done a bit more writing than I in the past, and was obviously in a more motivated state as he was dropping a few hundred more bucks than I was to attend the workshop. After leaving the class I was motivated to write, as was he. The difference was, that he actually put his butt in a chair and wrote something, a novel (based on the short story he workshopped at the boot camp). I came back home, and wrote a few paragraphs here and there, started and stopped some stories, and before two months had passed, was no longer a writer.
I’ve said I’m “only a reader”, but that isn’t a whole truth. While I’m not a writer now, I am still a student of writing and the writing craft. I study form and style of those books I read, I notice plot and structure, and characterization (not in an entirely academic way, I still enjoy the reading). I read books on writing, look at what does and doesn’t work in various forms and genres of writing, and emerse myself in the world of words.

While I know that all of this study and thought won’t make me a writer, any more than all my study of baseball well let me pitch a split-finger fastball, but it does have some preparatory value. The problem is that it is so easy to forget that the value is more like reading a cook book, and less like cooking. If I read the recipes, and watch the great chef’s work, when I do set myself to cook a meal, I’ll have more knowledge to base that act on. However, what I won’t have, until I actually put something in the pan to cook, is anything to serve, or eat, of my own.

For all the knowledge of writing I, and anybody else, have, there is but one piece of advice that simply must be followed if you’re going to be a writer.

Put your butt in the chair and write!

I’ve known this advice all along, but have yet to follow it. Today I purpose to become a writer. Today, I will write.

CharlesP

PS: Yes, I realize by writing this I’m negating my own argument of sorts, but this is more of a confession than actual writing, or maybe it’s a hopeful first step to become a writer once again.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:17 am

Brilliantly stated charles. It's advice we should all heed. I may have to write something now when I get a break.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:43 am

And you HAD to add the postscript. You just HAD to.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:54 am

TheMudge wrote:And you HAD to add the postscript. You just HAD to.

yes I did, or certain individuals would've called me on it :P

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:32 pm

okay my butt's in the chair but instead of ACTUAL writing i am responding to your blog... does that count as writing?? :D

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:39 pm

If it did, we wouldn't be here discussing it :P

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:08 pm

250 words last night.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:05 am

felt good didn't it?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:20 am

yeah yeah... did 415 yesterday.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:54 pm

Cool!! What type of writing are you working on right now?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:09 pm

YA fantasy-esque novel idea

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:11 pm

Wow december gets away from you doesn't it? I'm not really any further in my story, though I've been mucking around with some basic plot ideas trying to get them in place rather than just stumbling around blindly as I usually do.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:05 pm

We have magnetic poetry so why doesn't someone invent "writer's blocks"? Blocks that have plot points printed on them (or a rewritable surfaces you can use) that you can physically stack and move around. Kind of like Legos. That would be cool.
Last edited by pengwenn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 am

Well, I've still been mucking about and not getting much actual writing done (several false starts basically amassing a few hundred useless words). Lunch Break today is going to be for some outlining/brainstorimgin I think :shock:

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:55 am

GO CHARLES!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

(just cheering you on)

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”