CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:16 pm

Back in the habit yet cp? :)
Is this my reality or yours?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 pm

Nope, writing has been DOA since NY. I've written the aformentioned political thing for a friend... wrote an article for my wife that she needed for the newsletter at the fine arts school she teaches at one day a week...

Part of the writing problem has been that Sam has become very clingy at night again, so I spend more time with him getting him to sleep than I was for the first few weeks on my new shift. I've yet to find a way to get around that (and as important as writing is I'm not going to shun the munchkin for it right now), but I'm working on it.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:42 pm

You can always blame your writing slump on your brief, but close, exposure to NY Mets fans. Their proximity alone is enough to kill the writing spirit. :D
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:54 am

pengwenn wrote:You can always blame your writing slump on your brief, but close, exposure to NY Mets fans. Their proximity alone is enough to kill the writing spirit. :D

AMEN!

Though I think my slump more relates to my new schedule and carpooling... instead of listening to stories on the way to and from work, or listening to podcasts (often about writing) I'm either napping or talking and neither of those have been much help in the writing realm (though the naps are GREAT to help you get through the night). I've also been fighting one ailment or another (never anything really major, but enough to make you annoyed and miserable) ever since I got back from NY which hasn't helped.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:22 am

pengwenn wrote:You can always blame your writing slump on your brief, but close, exposure to NY Mets fans. Their proximity alone is enough to kill the writing spirit. :D

There are more Yankee fans than Mets fans in upstate NY. Any exposure to the Evil Empire and their fans will zap anyone's energy and love for anything. Just ask Red Sox fans. :lol: ;)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:25 am

Actually my wife's grandfather from up there is apparently a Braves fan and has a pretty strong dislike of the Yanks (or the old guy is just giving me a hard time). Most of those small towns were filled with people who think driving to Rochester is WAY too far to go for almost anything... and couldn't fathom driving all the way down to NYC for any reason.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:48 am

Well... it's been a month or so since I've done any writing... totally stalled out after NY (I think I forced a couple days in, but no regularity). So, today I took an old story (one I've worked on forever without liking any of the results) and did what I should've done in the first place... tweaked and trimmed down the first part of it that I wrote (about 600-900 words) and submitted it as a bit of flash fiction/short short story. I used the www.duotrope.com search thing and found a paying market that took flash/short-short and took electronic submissions... throwing it to the wind to see what happens (I've got a couple other places I may send it when it gets rejected at this one... but this one seemed to hit the right mix of expected return (anything) and prompt response time (from 1-2 months).

LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:35 am

Best wishes for success.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Chalres writing, editing AND submitting? :shock:

Go charles!!!!!!! I'm doing my good luck dance for you. \:D/
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:17 pm

Well.. it was more the editing and submitting (since I can't seem to do any writing lately I should at least do SOMETHING right?)

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:31 pm

I'm actually hoping the submitting will help me do some writing. This piece (one some of the moderators have read before) was one I really liked, but kept trying to shoehorn into a longer story (it has chewed up a LOT of my words this year). The problem is that I don't HAVE a larger story to tell there (yet?), so instead of being done and sending it on it's merry way I keep messing with it and re-starting and trying to find the story for it. So, to get that off my plate I'm going to submit it to places that take flash/short fiction as just the little 600-900 word scene that it is and clear it off the creative plate (hoping something else shows up to take its place).

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 pm

charlesp wrote:clear it off the creative plate (hoping something else shows up to take its place).

How about trying a Challenge from one of the boards around here. Might I suggest a "What if"? :wink: :D
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Got my rejection today... now I've got to find the other markets I had in mind :doh:

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm

At least you've sent something out. Some of us still like living in their own little shell of a fantasy world.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:49 pm

This week's writing goal:

500 words on SOMETHING
Revise/edit/prep Post Partum and Barkeep to send out.
Send out Post Partum and Barkeep

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:52 pm

you're setting writing goals? :shock:
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:00 pm

well... if I don't have a goal I can't fail at it... so if I set an official published goal the failure will motivate me... at least that's the theory I'm running with.

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:07 pm

well, good luck
can i kick you if you dont do it? :twisted:
Behind the Press

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Good for you, Charles. If perchance you wish to share the FF markets you tried, please feel free to post. Might make certain of us old fogies get off our um, chair, and send something...those of us who are too lazy to look up markets. :roll:
:wink: (Although I do keep my "regular" editors supplied, so I guess that's something.)
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:18 pm

I tried: http://gambara.org/pages/submissions.html to no avail (largely because they were a paying market that was supposed to have good turn-around on rejection/acceptance time and my little barkeep story might have fit there).

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:25 am

Failed miserably with my goals (largely because work became WAY more hours this week and for the next few weeks)... but found a GREAT quote on boing boing

"Being a good writer is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the internet"

http://boingboing.net/images/1ff127c9mv3.png is just for X... research paper/thesis...

bfsooner
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby bfsooner » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:55 am

:rofl:

Never a truer word was spoken.
Rebecca

"The name's Kaknockers...Vod Kaknockers." ~~ Jake, Two and Half Men
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:31 am

charlesp wrote:http://boingboing.net/images/1ff127c9mv3.png is just for X... research paper/thesis...

:rofl: :rofl:
Behind the Press

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 am

charlesp wrote:This week's writing goal:

500 words on SOMETHING
Revise/edit/prep Post Partum and Barkeep to send out.
Send out Post Partum and Barkeep

Let's try this again as it failed last week... miserably.

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:40 am

were you too busy crying over the braves or something? ;)
Behind the Press

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”