CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:09 pm

The Colony is my sci-fi story... I've either played out or given up on my other projects so I'm without story to work on... I've got the novel I started that's about 10K-15K words into it and I crapped out that I could dig up but I'm honestly not in the frame of mind for that one either. Frankly I'm thinking my reading of the Silmarillian may be causing some of my trouble... it's not writing I can say I LIKE or am getting anything out of save trivia and story information from LOTR... and it's so slow that I think my brain is just shutting down... but I will NOT be beaten by a BOOK!

oh... and thanks for the Zig Ziglar-esque inspiration definition jill :P

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:17 pm

It's true... what I read makes my frame of mind. If I'm reading something depressing, I'm depressed. If it's exciting, I'm excited and if it's slow... well, I'm slow.

It makes sense when I think about it.

When I was a teenager, I read Flowers in the Attic, Petals on the Wind, Seeds of Yesterday and If There be Thorns. This was a four-part series that I dove into and found myself emersed in misery, depressiong and hopelessness. I was miserable for months (I was a slow reader) and no one knew what my problem was. I was hooked on these books. I have never read anything else of V.C. Andrews based on those four books... I just don't want to feel like that again.

Oh... and I'm sorry that I didn't know that the Colony was your sci-fi novel. I just didn't want to assume anything, cause that always gets me into trouble.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 pm

VC Andrews can do that to YA!

Good advice to stay away from that if your not feeling enthusiastic Charles!

Try something lighter than tolkien to change your frame of mind...I personally read George Carlin...he's hysterical. Last time I was taking turns reading excerpts w/my sister while sipping cappacino at the book store, we ended up with a bunch of groupies hanging on our every word and laughing their butts off. It inspired a story called raw power, which if our writing group is accepting more adult material (above PG-13) I'll post. otherwise, I'll save it for another time. :lol:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:27 pm

ok... 500 words on my tag writing with mudge today... REALLY felt the flow... and it's still early so I'm hoping to attach something else and make up for the last few days of depressed word abandonment.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:23 pm

Hey nice to hear you found your groove again!

Keep it going, Jill will want a report when she gets back...she's planning on beating your #'s this week.
:lol:
Read the +13..never stopped to think about asking the group...but cool. :D

While I wouldn't rate my writing as NC-17 some article/language shouldn't be for the younger mind set.

With horror writing I can fall into a graphic mind set and it would be nice to get feedback without worrying about impressionable minds....well at least not young impressionable minds :lol:
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:24 pm

ok... got another 250 words in on the Colony... but I'm trashing them all... but I'm counting them, as they WERE written... I just didn't like them.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:25 pm

another 400 words on the colony that I'm NOT trashing.... but not sharing just yet either.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:31 pm

That's 650!

Hey Jill how we doing...I guess you can add in those you are going to trash as long as they aren't babble to puff up your #'s!

This is kind of fun, maybe we should have a WC# competition between the two of you and see who wins (weekly...or at the end of your projects)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:58 pm

I had 750 yesterday and I'm up to 400 today...

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:07 pm

okay, I should check the dates more carefully as I read emails.

Jill better be typing her heart out
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:26 pm

:shock:

Uh, oh!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:04 am

287 more tonight... that puts me at 750 for yesterday and 687 for tonight... though that's still less than 1500 for the week... but I've still got tomorrow night and Saturday :D

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:12 am

This is bad... so very bad. :?

Well, good for charlesp. :thumbsup:

Not so good for me. ](*,)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:10 pm

~650 words so far today

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:12 pm

You're blowing me out of the water. Is there an excuse found in driving my dad to SLC for cancer treatment? Probably not, but I thought I would try.

You're doing great charles!
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:17 pm

you got me worried early in the week so now I'm motivated... I was thinking your competitive edge would keep you ahead of me.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:20 pm

I think it's because my blood-sugar count is low... that's why I'm not writing. No... really!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:51 pm

GOOD FOR YOU CHARLESP!

Hey Jill if you can add 500 words by the time I check in tomorrow, I promise not to mention coffee in a thread for a week! #-o
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:55 pm

I'm feeling really good about this week's writing. I've finally gotten back to some sort of regular output. AND thanks to hiss and jill's suggestions I think I may have made it past my block on The Colony (my sci-fi story). Overall a very good writing week so far and it's not over yet. I vote for the wordtrip wordcount throwdown next week... with everybody involved :D

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:08 pm

I'm a little confused about how many words you've typed this week because you've mentioned different numbers for different days and I'm finding that I can't add anymore.

How many for each day?
Wordtrip
Site Admin

Postby Wordtrip » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:01 pm

750 + 687 + 650 = 2087 so far... hoping to get a few more words in tonight... not sure I'll make it before midnight though :(
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:29 am

Congrats!

Signed on after midnight so missed all of ya and am playing catch-up w/email!

Check out Colony, sent you some suggestions.

Keep writing!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Well, Charlesp... looks like you won by a whopping 2 words.

That is unless you did write some more after your last posts.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:35 am

well.... I'm guessing on the estimates we were both not precise on the 650 or 500 counts... so I think it's a tie.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Well... after a moderatly productive week last week I've managed to throw down 771 words today... and might even get a few more tonight if I'm REAL lucky (not likely)... Thanks to Hissmonster and Jill's inspiration I'm retackling my sci-fi story (The Colony) and feel like I'm getting somewhere on it. yippeee!

charlesp

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”