CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

CharlesP Writer's Blog/Log

Postby charlesp » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:21 am

Well.. first entry here... even though only writing I've done in the last couple days has been a post on my personal Blog bemoaning the Braves being eliminated from the playoffs. I have been pondering my Baby Blues short story... talking it over with a couple of my favorite editors (my wife and my big sister) and have some tweaking to do to it today.. and thinking of a new title...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:33 pm

something to the tune of 200 words or so today... but I finally felt a beginning to a little sci-fi piece I've been mulling for a few months now... I think it's got a 5-10K word short story in it, and I think it might have a voice as well now so I'm happy... I'm also hoping to put a bit more time into it later tonight if the baby cooperates.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:43 pm

Well... a few more words on the sci-fi last night and a few more this afternoon... I shouldn't have waited till yesterday though because I have lost some of the voice for it... fighting to get it back.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:48 pm

Well... got about 500 words today... though it's another false start to that sci-fi story I've been playing with for a week... hoping to stay up late and get it restarted and in the mode I want... keep straying into telling instead of showing.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:02 pm

hmmm... haven't gotten a word count... yesterday I went to my son's homeschoolers fine arts deal for a couple hours with him and while he was working on some things I worked with pen and paper for 300 words or so. I have a love affair with fountain pens... but my handwriting is so slow and bad that I can't practically get any writing done when not at a keyboard... though I do get a few notes down with pen on occasion.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:04 pm

OK, tonight I spend some time working on this Sci-Fi story... basic plotline is involving a teenage girl in a human colony which has genetic problems... more than that I shall not say.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:45 pm

w00t 800+ words tonight on that story... and finally a beginning I think I'll keep for a while and keep going.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:49 am

NOTHING for DAYS now... the muse hasn't left me, but things are so busy with the baby and trip this week. I have dablled in a few notes, but nothing of real quantity

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:06 am

ok I don't have any of my OWN writing to talk about... but found this interesting bit from a high-school girl here in the Atlanta area who got expelled for writing...
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opin ... 6boim.html
luckily she has been at least temporarily re-instated. I'm going to avoid all diatribes about how silly the school was for expelling her for writing, difficult though it may be.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:07 pm

Well, I'm transferring all my notes on this sci-fi piece to my poor man's laptop (an old palm pilot with a foldout keyboard) for my trip. I'm heading to upstate NY for my father-in-law's wedding from tomorow through Monday... so I'm hoping to get a few words in while I don't have household responsabilities to kill my time.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:08 am

Well.. the trip is done... I got virtually ZERO writing done... and I've gotten virtually ZERO writing done sense I got back... so depressing. I know I should get more in... and with it being national novel writing month especially... but I've been just wasting so much writing time on stupid things lately... somebody motivate me?

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:08 pm

While it hasn't bumped up the wordcount for today... I did sit down with my wife and edit my last short story.
http://www.wordtrip.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=522#522

chime in there and let me know how bad it sucks.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:22 pm

well... the bane of my writing existance... is right now Emperor.. the Battle for Dune... I stayed up late last night and played it for about 2 hours... time I SHOULD have spent working on a story... going to have to have the wife hide the CDs from me or something I'm afraid.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:51 pm

Well.. not gaming that kept me from writing tonight... but a combination of lack of sleep last night... and working on a way to allow people to use a [ tab] tag on this board. This lack of writing productivity should be good for a nice depression for the rest of the weekend... yippee

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:51 pm

400-500 words today... getting back into my sci-fi story... going to commit myself to at least that much each day for the next couple weeks while I flush it out. Came up with a better plot twist, happy about that... as I finish up sections I'll post them probably.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:33 pm

only 250 today... no good excuse as I played dune game for a couple hours... but at least I did get a few words in... really struggling to get back into the habit before I start a new job (pretty optimistic of me isn't it? thinking I'm going to GET a new job).

CharlesP

Wordtrip
Site Admin

Postby Wordtrip » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:29 pm

WOW! that's AMAZING, I've maxed out at maybe 3000 words in a day before, and usually I'm in the 500-1000 IF I get to write at all (which this job hunt and new baby are both making less common).

CharlesP
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:21 pm

9000 IS pretty impressive. I think I topped out about 4500. 2000 a day seemed like a full day's work, when I was doing it.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:10 pm

well.... i KEEP restarting this one story... and I KEEP getting about 500 words or so into it and then when I come back I don't like what I've got so I restart and re-write the intro... I like a bit better what I've got right now. I'm trying some sci-fi, and it is taking great effort to not do a bunch of telling about the "catch" of the story before really getting into it. I got another 500 words or so. I'm hoping it will end up in the 15-25K word range, and hoping that I'll get past the first 1000 sometime soon.

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:58 pm

I'm still in editing mode. This was much easier when I wasn't working for a living.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:08 pm

Job interview today... nothing kills a muse like a tie and sports coat let me tell ya. Was up WAY too early... and crashing early too... no writing today save a couple lengthy e-mails to friends (and I don't think those really count).

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:51 am

Well.. I've finally gotten back to the stories... pluncked down 500 words today on my sci-fi story. I think I found my catch for it... I've been trying to write one end of the story when it's really the middle. So I'm breaking up the story and writing the first part (when the colony lands and the initial tragedy occurs), then the part I've been working on (a few hundred years later when the culture built around the tragedy is getting stagnant and a young girl fights it), and then the final part which will be the colony after another couple hundred beyond the "revolution" and how the culture has adapted from that.
Now this all started out as a short story but it might end up as a 3 part novella or even enough in each part to complete a book. Now if I can keep up the motivation.

charlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:45 pm

got about 50 words in today before w#$% interfered.... oh well.... sick boy at home may keep me up later tonight and I may get a bit more done after midnight.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:11 pm

I'm reading the book the 7 steps on the writer's path and I'm pretty sure I'm on step 3... wavering... take a look at yourself and see if it fits you too. One of the signs they talk about are the "dreaded yes, buts." which sounds disturbingly like me and.... other writers I know.
"Yes, I'd like to write, but I don't have the time...Yes, I wish I could go to that writers conference, but I can't afford it... Yes, I wrote a first draft, but I hate to rewrite...." Now this all could be depressing... but I'm pushing on to the end of the chapter where it's talking about methods to get OUT of the wavering phase.... and I'm going to discipline myself to do some writing. I'm actually talking with a good friend about doing a possible online twice weekly collaborative serial, which will probably not be our best work for EITHER of us (especially with the way we're thinking of doing it)... but it will be a commitment and should keep the waverign demons at bay.

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:13 pm

Gotta hate those waverign demons.

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”