Mlou's News

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:33 am

Okay, both pieces are now on the Monitor site. If you can't get the fox essay or the November one
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1120/p18s02
there's always the "hard" way...go to csmonitor.com and click on The Home Forum (upper right). I suppose after two in a row I probably won't get another one in for ages.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Hey, guys...guess what? The Monitor is getting "fan mail" about the November essay. How 'bout that? Now that's a real morale-builder.
Haven't been on much as I was in Vermont, looking at houses. Daughter wants us to move there. *sigh* The thought is daunting!

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:36 pm

That's very exciting... to have proof that people are enjoying your writing! Congratulations!

Moving to Vermont? Is that something you are excited about or not so sure about?
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:06 am

Mlou I enjoy your writing everyday here, maybe I need to tell you more often.
Is this my reality or yours?
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:44 am

Hey, what are we, chopped liver??

Still, kinda cool to have non-friend fans. I remember when I was writing the JC, how cool it was to get an email out of the blue, wanting to subscribe.

The thought of cleaning out so many years and sorting through and all IS daunting, Mlou. But I watched my uncle do it after my aunt passed away . . . and I know it would've been much, MUCH easier on him if they had gone through it TOGETHER, while she was alive. Things that might have had no relevance when it was the two of them--and could've easily been discarded--suddenly became weighted down with nostalgia. Really hard for him.

Not meaning to butt in where I don't belong. Just something to think about.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:22 pm

I agree, Mudge. It's now or never because it doesn't get any easier. One hasn't the stamina of days of yore! We have friends here that we'll miss but when push comes to shove, it's better to be near family backup. But what a hassle to get through it...selling one place, buying another, moving. The only happy ones are the lawyers and realtors! :-D

Thanks, guys. Yup, I really appreciate the encouragement I get from y'all in the writing game but it sure is nice when readers who don't know me write to the editor asking for more from the same author. That's what happened here as the letters were sent to the editor who forwarded them to me. It sure doesn't hurt for her to get comments like these. She has forwarded some to me in the past too. I've been lucky with this editor, long may she edit.

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:13 pm

And long may you write!
Is this my reality or yours?
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 pm

I just finished reading your CM article. You've taken an idea every reader can identify with and crafted it into something special that makes us examine our own lives. The article calls for us to stop our negative pondering and be exceedingly grateful for what we have; the positives in our lives that surely outweigh any negative we can call forth.
You are as always, an inspiration, dear friend.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby dee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:22 pm

I can't seem to find the article. But, it's really neat you have fans.

TC,
D
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am

BTW, Mlou I've always been a fan of yours... :bow:
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:29 am

You might not know it but I'm still here. :-D Just so crazy with this moving bit and no time to write. Two weeks 'til the move and not anywhere near ready. Also Jim's in the hospital again. Hoping he's recovered enough to make the 2 1/2 hour trip.
Only one article due to surface soon at the Monitor...Dinosaurs in the Backyard...though I have no idea how the editor may retitle it.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Sat. is "M Day". The final move. Trucks being packed now. Jim's in hospital for the last week, going to make the move with oxygen tanks at his side. It's been crazy and stressful to say the least. Pray for us, guys!

timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:21 pm

All best wishes to you both, Mary Lou. You have my support and sympathies, since I too have to move in a month--back home, probably, unless our house sells and we live in our car until a new house is available. I'd rather have the heartache of psoriasis than pack and unpack.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey Mlou... you're in my thoughts!!
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:43 pm

mlou! I was wondering where you had gone! Where are you moving to/from dear? We moved two months ago - took us a month and it's only two miles down the road. We're still not unpacked but I'm getting there.

I hope your hubby is doing better. Moving is high up there on the stress list. Take care of him - and of you.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Honey you know you are in our prayers..we'll say an extra one for your sanity during the move
8)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 pm

At long last, I'm back. lIt's been wild but thanks all for your good thoughts which I'm sure helped. Only got my new computer hooked up yesterday so I've been without it for 2 weeks. That's bad!
Can't find anything I want among the boxes galore. Have only found 2 old forks and a few spoons to eat with. And the only towels I've found are a few that I wrapped things in.
Jim remains on oxygen but is doing well, gaining weight. (Had pneumonia plus a bleeding ulcer.)
On the good side, my article on rural life was in the 4-7 csmonitor. Didn't even know it until my check came. I think it's still listed among the essays.
Will take me a while to be here regularly again. I'm working like mad to get settled and it didn't help that 2 of the cats got into the crawl space in the ceiling of their room on the first night we were here. Sigh!!!!

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Welcome back... missed your smiling face around the site!!
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:46 pm

OMG you poor thing...moving is a bear. All my prayers are w/ you and Jim and call if you need anything...I hope the towels you found are not for the kitchen [wink]

take your time, settle in...and we're here if you need anything at all (even bad jokes) :D
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 am

Heehee! Y'know, Mlou, there are a LOT of good essays to be found in moving ...

Hugs to you ... well wishes to Jim ... missed you around here.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks, guys...good to be back. I may be brief for a while, as I pursue my goal of finding a decent "anything" among the wreckage, but I'll at least be checking in regularly.
PS..link to "In the country, close encounters..."
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0407/p18s03-hfes.html

timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:45 am

A lovely piece in the Monitor, Mlou. Thanks for writing it--and taking me out of the city for a moment.
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Welcome back Mlou! How are you liking life on my side of the state? :-D
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Welcome back Mlou. I hope you and hubby are doing well.
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks Timberline. I'm in a different locale but it's also country...horse farm just down the street...so it will seem familiar at least.
Liz, things are so crazy I need time to figure whether I like it or not. HOWEVER, I'd better because I'm sure not going to move again!!!!
Hi, Lilac, seems like it's been a while. Are you writing, submitting, having any luck?

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”