Cheese Log, Stardate two thousand and something

A place for you writers to complain about your writing and the writing process... maybe posting what you got done today to make you feel like less of a writing failure.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:07 am

Power of Cheese wrote:Thank Mlou. Sadly Hyker nailed it. Until I actually get a paycheck, it'll be paper airplanes. After I start, I'll upgrade to pictures of airplanes for everybody...
Anblick, yes it's a Minnesota facility in Eagan. I don't have that many details but it is with LM's ASOC program. And if you where like me, ASOC in this case does not mean Air Support Operations Center like what I used to work with. In this case ASOC stands for "Air Sovereignty Operations Center", an air defense C3 for the newest NATO members. The job actually sounds very interesting and involves technical writing, which is right up WT's alley. Once I get started, I'll let you know how it is.

Congrats man!!! employment is a good thing... and with Lockheed... a very nice thing indeed.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:12 am

April wrote:Congrats...don't you dare change your cute little avatar to a halloween one!

Thanks April, and don't worry, Mew will be back after Halloween. I change out my avatars every so often just to mix it up a bit but I always come back to Mew.

Congrats man!!! employment is a good thing... and with Lockheed... a very nice thing indeed.

Yes, working hard and getting a paycheck is nice indeed. I just hope I can hack it in the real world. The USAF kind of spoiled me in a way, I'm sure Anblick knows that I'm talking about. But at least with LM, I won't have to run and do push ups once a year... 8)
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:33 am

I am sitting here in a hotel room in lovely Cedar Rapids Iowa, watching the History Channel and staring out the window at the beautiful fall colors waiting for my daughter to get moving. We Minnesotan's have this thing with Iowa, as most states have with their neighboring states. For instance, Ohio and Michigan have this animosity thing going back to 1800's. When I lived in Georgia, it seemed that Georgian’s loved to make fun of Alabama (well to be fair, so does everybody). Up here in the north country, Minnesota and Iowa have had this hate/hate relationship going on for years now. It was reinforced on me when I drove into this lovely state on Saturday. A pudgy man wearing an Iowa Hawkeyes shirt and driving an older car with Iowa Hawkeyes specialty license plates passed me in the passing lane. When he was a car's length in front of me he turned toward me and showed me his pretty little bird (which happened to be perched on the middle finger of his right hand if you know what I mean). I was too shocked to show him my birdie, and even if I wasn't it was just too funny for me to be mad anyway. I think this was a comment on the political party affiliation bumper sticker I have on my car which was the opposite of the political party bumper sticker on his car. I'll never know for sure, all I knew at the time was, gosh, the people in Iowa sure are friendly...

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:27 pm

Having said that Cheese, you HAVE to go and read a recent joke Ran put on the humor thread (if you haven't already) It deals with the same subject.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Sakkasie
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sakkasie » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:43 pm

Cheese,

I work for a company that has customers all over the US. I have managed to memorize most of the area codes in Iowa as a means of self preservation. When one of those area codes lights up on my call display I let it go to voice mail. Those people are the rudest, crankiest people I've ever met.

Unless they're Wordtrippers OF COURSE.

Sakki
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:06 am

Power of Cheese wrote:Minnesota and Iowa have had this hate/hate relationship going on for years now. It was reinforced on me when I drove into this lovely state on Saturday. A pudgy man wearing an Iowa Hawkeyes shirt and driving an older car with Iowa Hawkeyes specialty license plates passed me in the passing lane. When he was a car's length in front of me he turned toward me and showed me his pretty little bird (which happened to be perched on the middle finger of his right hand if you know what I mean).

:lol:

Are you sure it wasn't because you were driving 35 in a 65? :shock:

That's too funny actually... seems people are always looking for a reason, no matter how small, to display a birdie. Tisk, tisk... :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:01 pm

Sakkasie wrote:I work for a company that has customers all over the US. I have managed to memorize most of the area codes in Iowa as a means of self preservation. When one of those area codes lights up on my call display I let it go to voice mail. Those people are the rudest, crankiest people I've ever met.
Unless they're Wordtrippers OF COURSE.

Thanks Sakkasie, I was wondering if perchance it was just me. Now I know that Iowans are just mean people - unless they are wordtripper's, then they are happy, interesting and fun loving people! :wink:

TwistidImmortal

Postby TwistidImmortal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:08 pm

People from massachusetts kinda suck too man. Except of course royalblu and delaney... and the matt
Chivalry is alive, just hard to find.
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:31 pm

I wasn't going to post anymore pictures but then I thought, oh what the heck, two more won't hurt. I recently took a trip down to Iowa to visit with my daughter (read above). While in Iowa, we did a little pumpkin shopping. This photo is the result. Bailey painstakingly strapped each of the bad boy gourds into their seat so they could arrive safely back to the hotel we stayed at so we could cut their heads open, scoop out their brains and carve pieces out of their faces...

This picture was snapped on the road back home. The trees are beautiful here now. This is just a sample of the many different shades of fall I had the pleasure of driving through...

Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:51 pm

Wow, it's been a long and winding road since I wrote about the pumpkins. Turkey day has come and gone, Santa has made his yearly trip around the world, Dick Clark almost dropped the ball on New Year's and the Easter Bunny has gone went and hopped down the bunny trail...
I really only wanted to say "hello Wordtrip!" and to let the Cheese Log see the light of day once again. I really hope to write more on this fine site of the web in future days to come.
I will close with a poem about a resting cat:

Mewwer, Mewwer upon the floor,
I watch you resting and I adore,
How I'd love to live your life,
Resting, eating, life without strife,
I see you laying upon your back,
Your legs stuck up in the air,
With a disregard of tacit,
I hope that when I die,
and come back again,
I can be a feline,
and be free of sin...
Last edited by Power of Cheese on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:42 pm

Sheeeeesh, you and Dion are gone forever and both decide to post at almost the exact same time to say "hi" to us once again.

Been ages!! 8)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Thanks Jillstar :)

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:22 pm

Hey, Cheese....'bout time! I miss my long time buddies when they clam up like that! Like your poem. Have a cat just like that. She want to go to bed and won't go until I do, and pesters me to death until I do.
As for life without sin...where's the fun in that? :twisted:

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Power of Cheese
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Power of Cheese » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:03 pm

Well you are absolutely 100% correct there Mlou, life without sin would be boring. But 'sin' rhymes with 'again', and I'm too lazy to think of a different verse...

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:37 pm

hee-hee...easy to see we're from different parts of the country. Around here, again rhymes with pain, main and INSANE!

Return to “Writing and Poetry Blogs”