Anybody need help with the site?

If you're new to the site, stop in here and get a quick run-down of all you need to know about WordTrip. This is also the place to get help with your site problems (i.e., not being able to sign up or log in). Please e-mail if you're having trouble logging in webmaster@wordtrip.com.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:05 pm

Thanks Charles. It worked this time when I logged on to WT. Go figure?
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
bill

signing up

Postby bill » Fri May 14, 2004 3:54 pm

I'm fairly new to the computer and this is the first time I've tried to sign on to a forum. I attempted both yesterday and today to register but apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I'm not sure what the following items are so left them blank during the registering process: ICQ number, AIM address, MSN messenger. Also I have no idea what HTML and BBCode are and whether or not I should have them on or off.

Any suggestions will be helpful. My e-mail address is billandlindaofi2@aol.com. Thanks.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri May 14, 2004 4:41 pm

Hi Bill... I sent you an email a moment ago... let me know if you didn't get it.

JillStar
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri May 14, 2004 5:32 pm

Site still doesn't remember me automatically when I come on. Have to log on each time. And, gee, it takes time to remember my name! :o
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Nephtalius
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Nephtalius » Fri May 21, 2004 9:56 pm

My question is a bit different from others in this thread, so maybe this isn't the appropriate place for it. Pleae excuse me if it's supposed to be somewhere else.

I just looked at the Contest forum. Looks like there were quite a few entries in the first Short Story Contest. Most of them were from people with only one or two posts. What happened? Did those folks take their marbles and go home because they didn't win? Well, who did win? The winners aren't listed in that thread. Must be someplace else.

What about the `new' short story contest and the non-fiction contest? Did those activities die from lack of interest?? Or are the entries posted elsewhere?

Finally, will there be another contest?
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri May 21, 2004 10:18 pm

First contest was free to enter... so we got more entries, and many of them were people who popped in, entered, and never came back.

The other ones haven't really pulled as much interest as I'd hoped. We took a month off of contests and plan on starting another one in the next couple of days (myself and themudge, the other owner, are working out the details).

oh... and the winners of the first couple contests are in the Gallery link on the front page (the non-fic winners will get moved in there soon).

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Nephtalius
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Nephtalius » Sun May 23, 2004 11:49 am

Thanks. Now I have another question, regarding the `Tag' stories. I understand the ones that are locked are off limits, but what about the others?? Some of them have had no new installment for some time. Can anyone jump in and continue the story??
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
slickerydoo

smilies

Postby slickerydoo » Wed May 26, 2004 11:28 am

Hi guys,

I need help getting the smilies to work too. I've tried it Hyker's way and I've tried it the Power of Cheese's way. I still get only the text. I've also checked in my profile and the smilies are enabled. Does the message show the text and then convert to a smilie when you submit it? Or are we supposed to see the smilie as soon as we click on it? :wink: :wink: Help!

Slickerydoo :cry:

I'll answer my own question by clicking on a smilie now before I submit.
slickerydoo

smilies

Postby slickerydoo » Wed May 26, 2004 11:31 am

Apparently I've got it figured out but still wouldn't mind some confirmation. I only clicked on one smilie after my name. I don't know where the other two came from.

Slickerydoo
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 26, 2004 11:59 am

Nepth; on the tags... just post a note and see if anybody is working on a reply... if you don't hear from somebody in a day or two.. jump right in

SlickeryDoo; The smilies don't show up until you post your message, the forum software checks for the "code" for the smily and turns that into the graphic. You can disable smilies in your profile or in your posts individually (in case you happen to have something in there that's not supposed to be a smilie but gets translated).

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 26, 2004 12:04 pm

I'm still trying to get the site to "remember" me without having to log on every time.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed May 26, 2004 12:31 pm

Mlou...I know this may be insulting...but are you logging out when you leave WT?
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Wed May 26, 2004 12:33 pm

Charles...several times I have worked really hard on a post...then when I click on submit, the next screen shows Invalid-session. Why does this happen?
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed May 26, 2004 1:16 pm

Hey Bess. . . I don't know why that happens, but it has done that to me as well. Usually when I hit the back button all of my text is still there and I can re-hit submit and it then works.

Does that happen for you?

To avoid losing words in a post, I often highlight and copy just incase or type in word first. . . well. . . if it's a long post anyway.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts

Postby Guest » Wed May 26, 2004 4:18 pm

I didn't log out a moment ago because I knew I was coming right back but, yes, I do log out. And then invariably have to log in when I come back. It doesn't automatically remember me.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 26, 2004 4:20 pm

That "guest" was me, so I guess I DID log out. I didn't know you COULD post as a guest???

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 26, 2004 4:24 pm

well, if you log out then it won't remember you until you log back in... but if you're not logging out then it has something to do with the cookies most likely. There are times when the sessions table fills up and then I have to clear it so anybody can get back on the site... and THEN everybody should have to log back in.

Bess, I've not had the invalid session thing here myself, but I know what you're talking about. I'm not sure if there's a fix per se. What happens each time you visit is that the site generates a "session ID" for your visit and as long as you're on the site it keeps that going. It doesn't know if you're on the site and not looking from page to page, so there's a potential that if you're not checking "remember me" and you're taking a very long time to write your post that you might be letting the session "expire" during that time. I'll check some settings and see if I can tweak anything that might affect this.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 26, 2004 4:24 pm

Mlou; you can't post as a guest anywhere else in the site but here... in the help forum.

CharlesP

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 26, 2004 4:33 pm

I just remembered something that might be causing the session problem.

Most ISPs use Dynamic IP addresses for the people who connect to their servers, but some use a floating dynamic one ( I think that's their term for it... not sure).

Basically each time you connect to the internet your computer needs to have an address (IP) so data can find it's way back to you when you request it. Usually an ISP (AOL/Eathlink/etc) has a "pool" of addresses that they hand out at random as people log-on to request them.

Normally you'll have this same address the whole time you're online, but SOME ISPs use a variant on this which essentially changes your address in mid internet connection. The sessions here use those addresses to determing that you're still you, and if that address changes (totally without you knowing about it) while you're typing a post... then you might end up with a session error... and I have NO idea how to get around that (the session timeout on wordtrip is set to something close to one month).

CharlesP

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Wed May 26, 2004 4:35 pm

Ah! Merci, mon colonel!
But I always check remember me and I thought that meant that after I logged out and left the site and then came back later it would remember me and automatically log me in.
I do enable cookies so it's not that.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 26, 2004 5:02 pm

hehe... if you don't check remember me it will make you log in if you're away from the site for a few minutes (30-60 I think), or reboot your computer, or log-off the internet and back on. But if you log-off it "undoes" the remember me so somebody ELSE could log in from your PC (my wife and I both use wordtrip from the home PC so we tend to log-off/not remember us, so the other can log in, and so we don't accidentally post as each other... very often anyway).

CharlesP

wvmoonshine
Master Tripper

Postby wvmoonshine » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:54 pm

If I want to start a blog do I just go to that forum and post like a new thread? Thanks for the help.
The Worst Sin Against our Fellow Creatures Is Not To Hate Them, But To Be Indifferent To Them, This Is The Essence Of Inhumanity( George Bernard Shaw)
The worst sin towards our fellow creatures, is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, this is the essence of our inhumanity
(George Bernard Shaw)
wvmoonshine
Master Tripper

Postby wvmoonshine » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:57 pm

I also wanted to ask if I am putting my quote in correctly? Is there a way for the quote to come up each time I post, or do I have to type it in each time? Thanks again for the help :cry:
The worst sin towards our fellow creatures, is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, this is the essence of our inhumanity

(George Bernard Shaw)
wvmoonshine
Master Tripper

Postby wvmoonshine » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:12 pm

I figured out the quote part, thanks anyway. \:D/

(George Bernard Shaw)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:40 pm

wvmoonshine wrote:If I want to start a blog do I just go to that forum and post like a new thread? Thanks for the help.

You got it. If you want one to discuss personal life, etc there is a personal blog area. If you want to start one to discuss your writings, the writing process, etc you start one in the Writing Blog area.

Return to “Help and Site Info”