Anybody need help with the site?

If you're new to the site, stop in here and get a quick run-down of all you need to know about WordTrip. This is also the place to get help with your site problems (i.e., not being able to sign up or log in). Please e-mail if you're having trouble logging in webmaster@wordtrip.com.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Wordtrip
Site Admin

Anybody need help with the site?

Postby Wordtrip » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:41 pm

This help forum will let anybody post in it... if you're having a problem loggin in just use an alternate ID and post here to get help... if you're having trouble signing up... same thing... just make up an ID to use to get help and we'll help out as quick as we can.

CharlesP/BFedRec
fillerlady
Wordtripper

Postby fillerlady » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Hi, great site! I just posted my short story "And She Was His Beloved," for your writing contest, but it didn't format the way I had it. Can you make it the way it should be formatted, or does it have to stay this way? Thanks much in advance.

best always, fillerlady
Wordtrip
Site Admin

Postby Wordtrip » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:45 pm

I can help you out if you let me know how you want it. If you've got it in word format or html or something else that would show me the formatting I'd be glad to help you tweak it.

CharlesP
Writingmom
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Writingmom » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:37 pm

I wanted some help knowing how to set up my blog...or to see posts that Charlesp and I had done a couple of days ago. I can't seem to find anything....
http://ldspaz.blogspot.com
~*~ Writing is life ~*~
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:05 pm

OK... to find your old posts.. you can either use search... or just click on member lists, then click on your name and where it shows how many posts you have there is a link to see all the posts by you and it will show you a list of them with blurbs from each and you can just click on them to visit them.

For the blog... same basic procedure for reader's blog or writer's one...
goto the Forum by clicking on Forum in the "Board Navigation" box on the front page, then scroll down and click on Reader's Blogs, or Writer's Blogs

Once in the appropriate area, click on New Topic and Title it Writingmom's Blog (or something equivalent) and start posting... you should be able to post and get replies there. It's not the most robust blogging setup... but it's easy to use and free.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Help with contest Entry

Postby Hissmonster » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:11 am

Hi! I'm new!

I like the site and I will be telling friends.

One question, I entered the contest, but my contest entry
formatted wrong. :(

Is there a way to edit the format, so that the paragraphs do not all run together?
:?

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks!
Wordtrip
Site Admin

Postby Wordtrip » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:19 am

yeah... I can go in and add the paragraph breaks, basically you'll just want to hit enter twice between paragraphs. We have a Tab button but it seems to be doing strange things right now so I've got to fix that part of the BB software before it gets used for the short story entrys.
BobbyB

Postby BobbyB » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:32 pm

Hey Charles how do you place more than one quote in a post? It would be handy in critiquing, like you do. thanks
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:35 pm

OK... I snagged this from one of mudge's posts... you can see how the quotes work I think. I'm holding the baby right now so I'm hoping it will explain itsel... otherwise give me a while and I'll be back to explain :D

CharlesP

Code: Select all

[quote="Typewrong"]Why does no one ever mention James T. Farrell?  Wrote 51 books, the most famous of which is the Studs Lonnigan trilogy.  Oh, well.[/quote]

The same reason no one ever mentions Sinclair Lewis or Ring Lardner.

[quote]That having been said - Hi from Florida![/quote]

Hi back.

[quote]The object, by the way, is to write it.  If it never gets published I will not be crushed - but it would be nice if it did.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
BobbyB

Postby BobbyB » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:59 pm

So if you are critiquing someone's work you have to go back and retype what they wrote and add in the quote code?
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:22 pm

Bobby, the way I do it is to go to "post Reply" and at the bottom of the screen are the other posts you can scroll through. Highlight the paragraph or statement you want to copy and then right click it. Click on "copy". Then move your cursor back to the reply area and right click and hit "paste". Then re-highlight the statement or paragraph (now in the reply narrative box)and at the top, above the reply box, is a button that says "quote". It will place the quotes around the highlighted area.

Then put any remarks below the quoted area. If you are unsure you did it corectly, you can "preview" the message before sending.

Clear as mud? :shock:
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby charlesp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:56 pm

OK... the baby took a little nap... I took an even smaller one... but he's happy bouncing right now... sooooo..

What I do is instead of click "Post Reply", click the "quote" button on the top right hand side of a post. Then when I want to critique I just do a "cut" of the

Code: Select all

[quote]
tag and then whenever I want to start or stop a quote I just place on in there, and if I'm stopping a quote I add the /. And as I'm going through the critique, I just remove the things I'm not commenting upon and insert the tags where needed.

Pretty sure I'm not any clearer than Hyker is on any of it... but it's a different way to do it if you can decipher our lunatical ravings.

CharlesP

BobbyB

Postby BobbyB » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:01 pm

Thanks guys. I think I understand Hyker's explanation better. I'll try that one. No offense Charles, but you better not write a computer manual.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:10 pm

half awake I am... I'll make it clearer in a bit... when I'm clearer :D

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 pm

Charles...How do I get the little smiley thingies to appear in my replys???? Instead of the picture, the emotion appears in typed form.

I had been trying to get the quotes to appear in the replys also, but no-can-do!!!

Think I'll try Hyker's suggestion as I don't really understand the way you explained it!? Sorry, I know how to type (sorta and how to find wordtrip) otherwise, when it comes to computers, explain it to me like I'm slow or something.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:28 pm

Bess, don't reply with the "Quick Reply"...go to the "Post Reply" Icon above the "Quick Reply" box. Then just type your message and click on the smilies to the left.

If you want to quote someone, click the "Quote" Icon in the upper right corner of their message. The entire message will be quoted unless you delete whatever passages you don't want.

If you're unsure whether or not it worked, hit the "Preview" button at the bottom of the box before you "Submit" That way you can edit your response if you want. :D :D
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Power of Cheese » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:30 pm

Bess, I'm simple myself. When I want to post a smilie, I write my reply then click on the "preview" button. When you do that, you should see "Emoticons" next to the text you wrote. It's just a matter of clicking on the smilie you like then.
"Space is deep, man is small, and time is his relentless enemy" L. Ron Hubbard
http://www.ilovecheese.com/
"It's hard to dance when the floor keeps moving"...
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Thanks guys, very easy to understand. I shall try your suggestions.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Bess you may want to check your profile.. there's a setting to turn off/on bbcode... you want it on, not disabled, for getting quotes to work, and the same thing for smilies. there's a setting for that too. You can change it in individual posts as well, but there's a default setting in your profile if I recall correctly, that tells the system to turn them off or on by default (so you don't have to do it manually every time).

CharlesP

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:52 pm

Thank you Charles...

I'll check that out now.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:57 pm

Gee... Hyker is a hero in this thread!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Anblick
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Anblick » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:21 pm

Hyker - official advice giver person from WT...
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Right now, I have a sensory overload of information. Like a bovine, I have to chew everything over twice. Ah, for a teacher looking over my shoulder sometimes. At the moment my biggest problem is my printer. Should..but won't...scan to email. Oh, me!!
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby Bess » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:10 pm

Charles...the "remember me" log in box doesn't work for me. I visit WT alot and having to keep logging in is a pain.

Can this be fixed or am I SOL?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:23 pm

hmm Bess the "Remember Me" box has to set a cookie... that cookie will just let the system know who you are, if you've turned off Cookies in your browser that might do it (if you don't KNOW if you've turned off cookies let me know and I'll step you through the process of checking). Beyond THAT... I'm not sure. We're moving to a new server in the next couple of weeks and I'll be patching some things when we do... this MIGHT affect that for you.

charlesP

Return to “Help and Site Info”