Quoting in Replies (how-to)

If you're new to the site, stop in here and get a quick run-down of all you need to know about WordTrip. This is also the place to get help with your site problems (i.e., not being able to sign up or log in). Please e-mail if you're having trouble logging in webmaster@wordtrip.com.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Quoting in Replies (how-to)

Postby charlesp » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:10 pm

This seems to come up fairly often, so I figured I'd TRY and put together a little how-to on it. In some posts you'll see that, for critique or conversation purposes, a reply will have a series of "quotes" in it from the previous poster. This makes critiqueing much easier to read as you can just point out the section your talking about instead of trying to describe it by line/word/paragraph/etc. There are two basic ways of doing this.

The "Easy" Way:
I'm not sure this is easier, but some people find it so. When you click "Post Reply", at the bottom of the screen in a small window are the other posts from the thread. You can scroll through those to find the one you want to "quote". Highlight the paragraph or statement you want to copy and then right click it. Click on "copy". Then move your cursor back to the reply area and right click and hit "paste". Then re-highlight the statement or paragraph (now in the reply narrative box). At the top, above the reply box, is a button that says "quote", click that. It will place the quotes around the highlighted area.

Then put any remarks below the quoted area. If you are unsure you did it corectly, you can "preview" the message before sending.

Thanks to Hyker for this explanation.

Version Number Two

The way I use the quote feature is to click "Quote" instead of reply. This then has the entire message/story from the previous post (where I clicked Quote) in my Post Reply area. I can then read it there and just cut out the areas I don't want to use (highlight them with the mouse and hit the delete key). Then I can just insert the quote "code" where I want to start and stop my comments. You can do this by either highlighting the section and clicking on "Quote" or just typing in the code.

Either way you do it, the text in your message will/should look somewhat like what you see below.

Code: Select all

[quote="Typewrong"]Why does no one ever mention James T. Farrell?  Wrote 51 books, the most famous of which is the Studs Lonnigan trilogy.  Oh, well.[/quote]

The same reason no one ever mentions Sinclair Lewis or Ring Lardner.

[quote]That having been said - Hi from Florida![/quote]

Hi back.

[quote]The object, by the way, is to write it.  If it never gets published I will not be crushed - but it would be nice if it did.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

Which will show up in the post like this.

Typewrong wrote:Why does no one ever mention James T. Farrell? Wrote 51 books, the most famous of which is the Studs Lonnigan trilogy. Oh, well.

The same reason no one ever mentions Sinclair Lewis or Ring Lardner.

That having been said - Hi from Florida!

Hi back.

The object, by the way, is to write it. If it never gets published I will not be crushed - but it would be nice if it did.

My sentiments exactly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Questions? We'll try and clarify if anybody is confused.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:19 pm

Charles, I was BORN confused :lol: but I'll sure give it a try!! Thank you for all needed tutorials.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Ran
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Ran » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:28 pm

Methinks thou art a gifted educator, Sir Charles.

I followeth thy instructions to the letter and....

VOILA......thou hast taught me the art of cyber voo-doo I thanketh thee ;o)
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to
gnaw through the leather straps.
Sossity
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Sossity » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:37 pm

Charles, I was BORN confused but I'll sure give it a try!! Thank you for all needed tutorials.

Hey, it worked. :D

Thanks Charles
There's no limit on happy memories. Make some more!
Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:14 am

Until today, I have had no trouble quoting. What went wrong all of a sudden?? In Group 6, I tried to quote Meenie.

Meenie wrote: This line is quoted.

Does not work. However,

This line is really quoted.

Does work.

Well, I previewed this post, and the first quote works after all. Why does it work here, but not in WG6??
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:38 am

We really don't LIKE WG6. We think WG7 is the BEST group.

No, really . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:55 am

where is the post that didn't work?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Gee... Mudge really helped, didn't he?

I'm not sure what happened there... odd.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:24 pm

I'm not sure what happened there... odd.

why is it that sometimes i can do the "quote selected" and other times it doesn't work and i have to actually post reply and quote the whole section (and edit as necessary)???

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:39 pm

If you want to quote my post here, simply hit the quote button at the top of my post.

If you want to quote just this sentense, highlight it and move down the screen WITHOUT clicking your mouse button... to the quick reply box at the bottom. Once there, hit the "quote selected" and this will appear. Then you can type below it.
Nephtalius

Postby Nephtalius » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:12 pm

I think I figured out what happened. I wrote my entire post in Word, and then copy-and-pasted it to `Reply' field. Word uses `Smart Quotes.' The " character in Word is slightly different from the " character that HTML recognizes.

So when I typed [Quote="Meenie"], the quote characters were not really quote characters.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:48 pm

If you want to quote just this sentense, highlight it and move down the screen WITHOUT clicking your mouse button... to the quick reply box at the bottom. Once there, hit the "quote selected" and this will appear. Then you can type below it.

I know this but it doesn't always work. :cry:

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:57 pm

Hmmm... are you sure you and my mother aren't the ones sharing the same brain? 8-[
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:47 pm

TheMudge wrote:We really don't LIKE WG6. We think WG7 is the BEST group.

No, really . . .

wonder what writing group mudge is in.....
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
dee

Postby dee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:38 am

[quote="jillstar"]Hmmm... are you sure you and my mother aren't the ones sharing the same brain? 8-[[/quote

hmm- quotes not working for me and I did click "quote" first and then type?
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 pm

you got that one almost right. you're just missing a final ] after the /quote part.

you may also need to uncheck the box on your posts that say "disable bbcode"

dee

Postby dee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:25 pm

charlesp wrote:you got that one almost right. you're just missing a final ] after the /quote part.

you may also need to uncheck the box on your posts that say "disable bbcode"

ooohh ty xoxox

Return to “Help and Site Info”