Crossroads Update

Place to sell your used books or self-published items. Let people know about other projects you may have (i.e. a published newsletter or small business). Exchanges between members is not covered by WordTrip in any way.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

ghostposts
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Crossroads Update

Postby ghostposts » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:26 am

The Best of Crossroads Magic, vol.1
is now availableon cd rom at cafe press

http://www.cafepress.com/CrossroadsMagic

our contest is now open

for added marketing info try our tropica discussion list. a great place to check for markets, info or to post notice of yoru latest work.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/ghostposts

you don't have to join it to read the messages, but you do if you want to post there
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Cool, Ghostie!
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:13 pm

Okay, so I sound dumb...but what contest, ghostie?
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:30 am

I'll sound dumb too, Mlou... what is it?
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
royal_blueyes

Postby royal_blueyes » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 am

Maybe these? took a little searching...

http://crossroadsmagic.com/html/contest ... 9bf00ed02e
<i>Some five syllables
Another seven go here
Finish with five more</i>
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:54 am

Huh, looks interesting...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:45 pm

just go to the top menu and hit the "contests" tab. There's one on now. Winners get interviewed, their story and interiew are posted in the November issue of the ezine. They split the entry fees. The interview and a blurb of their story are also listed in the magazine forum on the last day of the month for that contest. (For Nov., that would be Oct. 31rst)

We also provide a gif for winners to post on their web site.

www.crossroadsmagic.com
Last edited by ghostposts on Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyker
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby Hyker » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:48 pm

I'll have to look at this site later. looks interesting.
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
~Erma Bombeck

www.HykersTrails.com

Postby Mlou » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:14 pm

I'm confused. It says stories, nonfiction, poetry. Do you mean these are all judged in the same one contest? Or are there separate categories to the contest. The rules are just very general.

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:20 am

they are all judged in the same catagory. The contest, like the ezine, encourages all genres and types of literature.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:01 am

Yes but do you have a winner in each catagory or could you end up with 3 short story winners, for example, and no poetry?

ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:47 pm

3 winners, no special catagory. Just the best entries. If a non fiction entry outshines the others, it wins. If 3 poems are the best, they win.

The mag doesn't discriminate. If the writing is good, I use it. The point is to get the work (and author) exposure. Basically, if it makes me sit up and say, "Yes!", it wins.

When chosing contest winners, I try not to look for balance, so much as heart, (Do the characters make me care about them), quality(Plot, style, structure) and creativity. Since I post 10 to 15 pieces, I can add balance when I chose the submissions, so the winners are judged, each according to its own merit.

That means if 3 short fiction stories, or any other type of entry, come in above the others, they are the ones that win. No catagory, no balance, just good writing.

It evens the playing field.

If I had a catagory contest, I might have to turn down a great piece in favor of a lesser one, to promote balance. Say I got 3 poems that rocked, one pretty good non fiction article, and a fair short story entry. I'd have to pass up 2 of the poems and use the article and the fiction piece.

To me, it's more important to recognise good writing than it is to use a catagory standard. Pubbing work that is "good" rather than that which is excellent, detracts from the work of others.

I do pub a few entries that could be more polished, but only if the voice of the story is unusual or if the characters make me care. A well-polished cliche is still a cliche, but a writer who cares about his story gets my attention, even if he makes a few mistakes here and there. It makes me want his work to be seen by others.

To win the contest, just send me your best work. Care about your subject or story and make me want to show it to others. Make me laugh, cry, get angry, or think...and you're in.
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 pm

Great explanation...thanks! First I've ever seen where poems can stand equal with longer pieces.

ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:12 am

Well, not enough people entered, so we're cancelling the contests. Thewinners for sept/oct have been chosen and will appear in Nov.'s issue of the mag.
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:18 am

bummer ghost... I know we've had trouble getting a lot of entrants here... usually we've gotten just enough to cover prizes and maybe a couple bucks to help pay for hosting.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
ghostposts

Postby ghostposts » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:18 pm

lots of mags are having trouble right now. we
will try again next year. :)

Return to “For Sale/Promo”