The Art of Racing in the Rain

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Postby Jamie Ford » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:35 pm

I just finished Garth Stein's breakout novel, The Art of Racing in the Rain.

I've never really been motivated by book trailers, but this one hooked me immediately. Then I read the first few pages and those hooks sank deeper. The narrative is told through the POV of Enzo, a dog that hopes to be reborn as a man, as he stands by his master through years of family turmoil.

It's an amazingly human story. I loved it.

(The book is in 1st person, so I downloaded the audio book, which is incredibly well done).
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.
http://www.jamieford.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:20 am

Based on your recommendation I borrowed the audiobook from the library, and FINALLY got started on it this week (after finishing Dracula)... SO glad I did. The concept is interesting, the execution brilliant. Going to try and force my wife to read it (especially as a bit of fiction therapy as we're getting quite close to the end of her dog's life).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:21 pm

That sounds great. But I'm an awful sob sister when it comes to dogs and cats dying.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:01 pm

I love the title, but I don't know about the dying part....Pets (all kinds) are wonderful moments in our lives, that when they've slipped away it breaks my heart.

I like the idea that the story is told through the viewpoint of the dog, but tell me if this is going to be like Old Yeller. I could never sit through that one again.

If not, I'll added to my To Read list 8)
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:41 am

This is certainly an emotional/tear-jerker at times sort of book. I'm a bit more than halfway through and (audiobook) on my way in to work this morning it took me from wanting to punch a character in the face, to feeling like I'd been punched in the gut... very masterfully written.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Maybe I should rephrase, I'm not sure it's the best writing per se, but the emotions invoked by the author are handled masterfully. It's good writing I think, but the author may have succeeded in getting me invested in the characters and I may be overlooking flaws... but I don't exactly care because the story is well done. THAT SAID... may not be the book to read if you've recently lost a pet... just thinking.

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55 am

I think I will save this for another time...death and dogs...not the best topic for me right now. :(
Jamie Ford
Master Tripper

Postby Jamie Ford » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 am

Sorry for the downer doggie mojo. I have three, and they're all about 8 years old. My wife and I are wary of losing them all about the same time. They're like family...

That being stated, I still loved Racing in the Rain. Just a pure story.
HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, a New York Times Bestseller from Ballantine / Now on sale.

http://www.jamieford.com
Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:43 am

lol...know that Zippy was the last of 4 the other three died within a short timespan of each other.....& no mojo, zippy was over 20, it was his time, but I think I'll save this read for later.

Return to “Book Reviews”