The Conqueror Worms, by Brian Keene

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

The Conqueror Worms, by Brian Keene

Postby Tyler Anderson » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:53 pm

SPOILER FREE REVIEW:

OK, so I basically bought this book in the first place because I was reading too much Stephen King. So, I went to the local Border's and started browsing the horror section. After a brief struggle of trying to put down the newest novel by "The King" (Lisey's Story), I started to look at the other books.
What caught my eye first was the cover. It was what looked like a photo-shopped image of some earthworms breaking out of the soil in a city. The novel read-
The Conqueror Worms
Brian Keene

So, I picked up the novel and bought it along with a copy of Dolores Claborne for my mom. Here is what I thought of it:

The novel is basically about an alternate-reality where it rains for forty days straight. And, the rain is driving up worms. BIG worms. But, that is not all in this story. A cult of demon worshippers, a half-crazed-goverment-hatin'-beatnick, and a Kraken (yes, the same thing from Pirates 2); are only some of the villains featured in the story. I couldn't put this book down. I got in trouble about a dozen times in school while reading during class. But I couldn’t help it, it was just too good.
This novel has a great story, and is written pretty well. I HIGHLY recommend this book. Even if you don't like the idea going in, give it a chance, and it will surprise you. Keene's other books have also won some Bram Stroker Awards, so he is no novice to the horror genre. Bottom line:
The Conqueror Worms= GOOD BOOK!
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Well, you've convinced me but it will be added to quite a long list that's waiting already. *sigh*
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Did you know that a most horrific movie of the same name was made many, many decades ago abouth the Catholic Inquistion, with the rack, burnings and the like, including if she drowns she is not a witch but if she floats she is the devil's brood. It stars Vincent Price as the chief inquistor and terrified me when I was a kid. I am surprised someone took that particular name of a famous B movie for their book, no matter how different the subject matter may be. Not possible it was an accident.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:57 am

ahem ... Before it was the title of Mr. Keene's novel or a Vincent Price film, "The Conqueror Worm" was the title of a poem by Edgar Allan Poe (many of Price's films shared titles with Poe). What do they teach in schools these days?!

link to poem: http://www.bartleby.com/102/87.html
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Haha, I am aware of the film and Poe's poem, but just a intresting fact, the original published title of Keen's book was "The Earthworm Gods" and they changed it when it switched publishers.
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm

I'd wager that's because the Poe estate is less likely to sue you over perceived copyright infringment than the Frank Herbert estate (author of Dune and it's original 6 books including God Emperor of Dune in which the character of Leto had become a worm and a God (granted a giant sandworm and not an earthworm)... and as Herbert's kid is still publishing pre-quel/sequels to those books they figured to not push their luck). At least that's my knee-jerk reaction/theory.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:49 pm

As an English major I knew that title was familiar, but man I need to brush up on my Poe. I loved his stuff. Would read every word of it I could find.
Is this my reality or yours?
JT
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby JT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:37 pm

Lilac,

No need to be smug. I thought it may be, but was too lazy to look before posting. How about Imp Of The Perverse? That would make a good title, now, wouldn't it? But Conqueror Worm, the movie, sure is horrific.
JT

Can't you hear the writing in the air? Ronnie James Dio (RIP)
LilacWine
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby LilacWine » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Are you calling me The Imp of the Perverse?

'cause if you are, I gotta tell you ... I LIKE it. :twisted:

(I wonder if the Poe estate would object to me putting it on my business cards?)
"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." -- Joan Didion (1934 - )

~Pamela~
musthavebeenmykarma
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby musthavebeenmykarma » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Hmm.. bizzare poem. But you've interested me on the book. If only I had time...
I hope I'm a punk-rocking zombie when I die-

Or at least a headbanging one.

I have a Tumblr now! Thomas Caldwell Novels

or leave a message on my blogspot: Thomas Caldwell Novels

Return to “Book Reviews”