The Life of Pi

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Macbren
Wordtripper

The Life of Pi

Postby Macbren » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 pm

I just finished reading "Life of Pi" and I loved it. I found it to be a delightfully different story full of surprises and insights. I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was, either. I would highly recommend reading this book. I'd love to discuss it with anyone that has read it, too.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

Cicero
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:15 pm

I finished this one sometime last year and also loved it. I thought he had some great and interesting things to say on world religions, but there were some parts toward the end that got a bit... strange... and I wasn't overly fond of how he left the very end of it open to interpretation... BUT the book was wonderful, Martel is a great wordsmith, and does pretty good at the storytelling part of the equation as well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Macbren
Wordtripper

Postby Macbren » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:55 pm

That's interesting, I didn't see the ending as open to interpretation. I guess I felt that he only told them that story to give them what they wanted, something a little more believable.

but there were some parts toward the end that got a bit... strange...

What did you think was strange at the end?

Cicero
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

well, in the last half/third/quarter (whatever it was... been a while since I read it) the whole island thing went from an interesting survival tale to a bizarre man-eating undiscovered island thing...

I'm really not SURE what happened, as the island stuff WAS so strange and unbelievable (especially in the context of what was otherwise a moderatly realistic story) that I'm not sure what happened... his original tale, the one he told them, some combination of things, some other thing that wasn't part of the hallucinations... not sure.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
Macbren
Wordtripper

Postby Macbren » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:55 pm

Yah, I know what you mean, though I loved the Island. I guess I was just so caught up in the tale that I swallowed that part of it no problem as well. :) It was pretty bizarre, though. I guess I didn't really think about what might have been real and what hallucination. I think the part I found most strange was the frenchman that was also blind. That stretched me a little too much. :?

Cicero

Return to “Book Reviews”