The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King

Postby charlesp » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:52 pm

Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Warner Books (June 2, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN: 0446577693

I just finished "The Professor, The Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the biggest poker game of all time" and it was very good. The writing was more tight and less filled with literary/music/pop-culture references (and random personal stories) than Positively Fifth Street was.

The story (non-fic) is about a series of poker games played between self-made Billionare Andy Beal and a dozen or so of the best professional poker players in the world. At the climax of the games they were up to over $20 Million on the table with a game of limit hold-em with $100K/$200K betting (that is to say that in EVERY pot there was at least $150K before anybody got to CHOOSE if they wanted to stay in or not). Most of the games were played "heads-up" (one on one) as that's how the man with the big bucks wanted them to be played. There are some great antecdotes from the poker world (my favorite was when there were two guys playing for 100 hours straight and one guy left in an ambulance PROBABLY from the over 50 packs of cigarettes he smoked during that time "and only lit one match").

Obviously I'm a poker fan so I found it more enjoyable than "the average joe", but I think it's an interesting look into the poker world for those who aren't huge fans. Also just the money involved was amazing to me. The pros were playing as a team but were still risking half a million each while Andy had over $10 of his own money on the table at one point (and I won't tell you how much he won/lost over the course of the story).

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:44 pm

I just noticed that you're from LV, GA. I was a client of the Laitsches for my nonfiction project. I forget the name of their agency, but they're in LVille. They were unable to sell it.
"We're gonna rob them blind, Stacy. We're taking everything, right down the the light fixtures and the dust under the chairs. We're gonna do them like the Grinch did Hooville."
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:55 pm

hmmm good to know there's a lawrenceville agent :twisted:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
CZ75
Master Tripper

Postby CZ75 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:55 am

charlesp wrote:hmmm good to know there's a lawrenceville agent :twisted:
Yes, Ronald and somebody Laitsch, of Authentic Creations.

Return to “Book Reviews”