Essay: "The Great Gatsby"

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

kexxy
Wordtrip Grand Master

Essay: "The Great Gatsby"

Postby kexxy » Mon May 03, 2004 6:40 pm

Here's another great book, that you get a peek into, with one of my incomplete essays about the romantic anagonist.

“I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” Daisy Buchanan, a character from the novel, The Great Gatsby, says this about her infant daughter. From this quote, we can tell that Daisy is a very shallow person. Though many of the characters from The Great Gatsby are extremely superficial, I believe that Daisy is the most phony. I believe that Daisy is shallow, because of the way she conforms to society, the way she handeled the death of Mertal Wilson, and the way she runs her family. I believe that Daisy is the most superficial person in The Great Gatsby.

Like most woman of the “ modern”1920’s, Daisy Buchanan shows her lack of depth by the way she conforms her life to the way society tells her to. Daisy does not have any hobbies, besides drinking or shopping. Society said that woman could not not have their own opinions, and she didn’t.

Daisy show’s her insincerity through the way she handles her romantic relationships. Daisy first shows this, when she doesn’t wait for Gatsby to come back from war, before she marries another. Her excuse is that “rich girls don’t marry poor boys.” When Daisy has an affair with Gatsby, she shows that she is very shallow. When Gatsby tells Daisy’s husband that Daisy is going to leave him, Daisy changes her mind. She liked the confrontation over her. When David see’s Daisy for the first time after Gatsby’s death, she does not act like anything had happened.

Daisy’s materialistic values make her shallow.

Daisy also shows that she is superficial with the death of Mertal Wilson.
Dont "should" on yourself,
Dont "Should" on others,
And NEVER let anyone,
Should on you!

Return to “Book Reviews”