Book Review: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

Post your book reviews here. We will leave a copy here, and move the thread to the appropriate section (fiction, non-fiction, etc)

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

charlesp
Site Admin

Book Review: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

Postby charlesp » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:06 pm

The End of the Affair
By Graham Greene
ISBN: 0-14-018495-3

I'm very fond of my library system, and their used book store is a great resource for cheap classics. I've been trying to get through some of the classics that I missed out on by dropping out of college, and at some point got the notion to read Graham Greene. I really don't know much about him except he's taught in the Donnie Darko classroom :D and his books are considered classics. With that notion in mind I picked up the End of the Affair for $0.25 and stuck it in the bathroom for reading (yeah I read in the bathroom... sorry).

The book clocks in at just under 200 pages and is broken into 5 "books" inside. The story is about the love affair between a novelist (Bendrix) and an acquainance's wife (Sarah). Their love affair is torid but she leaves him inexplicably one day and he spirals into the writer's realm of self-doubt and self-pity... with some jealousy thrown in for good measure.

The characters are interesting, though somewhat strange to me. The setting is WWII but something about the characters feels more modern to me... of course the book was written when there's no chance of the people being truely modern to me now... so it's really just a perception of mine. The writing is tight and well crafted, dialogue seems realistic enough and the debates and diatribes about religion are fascinating.

Enjoyable book, though I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it had it been much longer. It's a nice tight and quick read.

CharlesP

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)

Return to “Book Reviews”