May 2016 - 3 Flash to 1 Short Challenge - Week 1

Here at WordTrip, we have monthly 'overall' writing challenges (not necessarily every month).

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

May 2016 - 3 Flash to 1 Short Challenge - Week 1

Postby JillStar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Get ready... get set... go!

Here are your options for May's month-long challenge. Pick one challenge from the four options below. You can always come back and do another one in June or any month in the future. When you have finished each week's prompt, feel free to create a thread here in the Word Trip Monthly Writing Challenge area and keep posting each one as you go. You can post your rough drafts, finished drafts... or none at all. ;)

UPDATE: Each week a new prompt of the challenge will be posted. Write a Flash Fiction piece with a total of a 100-1000 words each. These will be three separate Flash Fiction stories based on the prompt that is posted each week.

FIRST OPTION

Paragraph Prompt – Use the given paragraph as inspiration for the weekly story prompts leading to a mysterious conclusion. There will be weekly prompts to go along with the paragraph.

There wasn’t time to react the way one would react if given the opportunity to think about the entire situation. With everyone’s eyes turned with anticipation and uncertainty, there were only moments and those moments were ticking fast.

Week 1– Write a fictional story based on the above information using third person point of view. Give this story an ending but leave a hidden mystery for later.

SECOND OPTION

The Mixed Up Inspiration Challenge – a Hodge podge of prompts leading to a climatic ending!

Week 1 - Pick up a book and turn to chapter 17. Use the chapter title as inspiration to write your first story. No title to chapter 17? Use the 17th sentence instead. Add one or more of the following to your story as well…

a. “These steal toed boots are killing me!”
b. He was older than yesterday by a dozen years.
c. Jumping was the only way to save his/her life.

THIRD OPTION

Journey Through Life Prompt – use the prompts to show the progression of life for a group of individuals. What is the moral of your story?

Week 1 – Use ONE of the following groups to begin your journey. The first story should end at a point in life where a new journey might begin.

a. Four boys sitting on a log near a stream throwing rocks and/or fishing
b. Three girls lying in the grass watching the clouds float into different shapes
c. A variety of young children all playing baseball or another sport

FOURTH OPTION

Roll of the Dice Poetry Challenge. Writing three poems using the weekly prompts (1 poem per week) with a final poem to bring them together.

Week 1 – use one of the following prompts to write your 12 stanza poem (with or without rhyme). Extra challenge… roll a die to determine which one you will chose.

a. Word Prompt: time, single, burst, view, pocket, shadow, wild, sunset
b. Déjà vu… again and again
c. You took a wrong turn and ended up…

Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
PaulG
Master Tripper

Re: May 2016 - 3 Flash to 1 Short Challenge!!

Postby PaulG » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Ok, I now have it. Thanks. :D
...and every now & then I spend my time at rhyme & verse & curse those faults in me...- "Along Comes Mary"- The Association

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done."- Steven Wright
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 pm

That's good Paul! Have fun!
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Thu May 05, 2016 9:45 am

wow. good prompts. taking them with me today to work on at writing group. :D
"So. You're famous?"

My son to Kinky Friedman at the author's book signing.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri May 06, 2016 12:10 am

So I forgot to mention that the first should really be a flash fiction which is a very short story. If you're have already written something longer, that's fine, but it's 3 flash fiction and then a final short combining them.

Here's what I originally posted...
Each week a new prompt of the challenge will be posted. Write a Flash Fiction piece with a total of a 100-1000 words each. These will be three separate Flash Fiction stories based on the prompt that is posted each week.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 am

I updated the original post above. So write 100 to 1000 words for the first week. Or more if you want, of course.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 pm

How's everyone doing with this month's challenge?

Who is participating and which prompt are you doing?

If you're not able to do it now, take a look-see and keep it in mind.

Always feel free to post your accomplishments with this challenge here... even if it's months from now.

THIS WEEKENDS NEXT PORTION COMING SOON!!
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Re: May 2016 - 3 Flash to 1 Short Challenge - Week 1

Postby JB » Tue May 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Hey Jill, just finished my week one prompt. I was having a bit of trouble getting back to the swing of things.
Sorry it is just a touch over 1k

Sharks in the Water.

“The bridge was under water already, Marge, so this is our only outlet. We only have time to swim to that raft.”

The woman of around fifty said nervously. "The bridge was our only way out...now we are on this accursed sand bar!"

Herb knew they had waited too long to get off of the island. Now they were stuck.

"We have to get to that raft over there, Marge. All of us.

"I guess you mean swim, Herb? You're kidding, right?

“I wish I were.”

The middle-aged man stood with the rest of the party on the quickly disappearing sandbar. Despite getting the group this far safely, guilt had settled in on Herb. How could he have led the survivors to such a dangerous situation. His military training had been in the no man's land of Kuwait, not surrounded by water near Fiji.

Herb Bartley felt an uneasy twinge in his gut. His tour in the godforsaken desert of a land he wanted to forget, was resurfacing.

A voice came from behind him. “Mr. Bartly, aren't there sharks in that water?”

Herb didn't know if there were sharks there or not, but he wanted to-had to-stay positive in light of their situation.

He looked back at Amy, a brown haired, brown eyed girl of ten. Her skin had turned a deep brown since they had gotten to the island. She was almost unrecognizable from the waif he had met at the airport only a few weeks before...

Sound hopeful, Herb, he told himself. You must.

“No, hon. I don't believe there are. Did you seen any on any of the tours we took?”

The young girl just stood there, eyes wide and shook her head. She made a sudden, small cry and Herb noticed that water had started lapping at the young girls' heels. They were losing precious real estate and the sandbar would be underwater soon with all seven of them with it.

Herb tried to force a smile. “Well then, there you go, Amy. We don't have to worry about sharks.” He knew better, but he had to make the child feel more confident to do what they needed to do next-make it to the raft.

Amy had inched closer to her uncle who had put his arms around her trying to look as if he were consoling her. Herb knew that she was trying to put up a brave front, but he could see the child's lips quivering.

Her uncle Benny patted her on the back. “Be a brave girl, now.” As soon as he said it, Benny pulled her arm from his waist and moved toward Randi, a young woman probably half his age. Herb knew that Amy's uncle had been trying to get into Randi's pants for the last week. But right now, the situation was dire and he needed everyone’s focus on getting to the raft--not a sexual conquest.

What a friggin' jerk. Herb bit his lip. Amy had been neglected by Benny since they had arrived on the small island of St. Calais. The girl had attached herself to him from the start and stayed as far from her uncle as possible.

“'Are you a Marine?'” Amy had asked Herb as they had piled into a van at the airport. That was when Herb first caught the girls attention.

“'Semper Fi.'” She had said matter-of-fact looking at Herb's forearm. “'My daddy was a Marine, too.'”

Herb had caught her eyes tearing up.

“'I...I miss him so much.'”

Herb just listened to Amy. Such an old ten-year-old. Her story was like so many of military families. Children who had to grow up fast and acted more like adults than most adults actually were. He saw this scenario with Amy's uncle Benny quickly enough as the group had progressed on the trip. He was a child in an adult's body.

“'He thinks he's all that,'” Amy said. “That mom made him come with me...'” She had started crying. “'My daddy was s'posed to come with me,'” she wept. “'We were gonna have fun and...and...I hate him!'”

“It's okay to feel hurt, Amy. You just need to realize that he would be here if he could and that he loved you very much.'”

Amy looked at Herb, her face wet. “I don't hate my daddy, Mr. Bartly. I was talking about Uncle Benny. He hates me, too.'”

“'Oh?'” Herb had looked down at the fair skinned girl.

“'Yeah, he's only bringing me cuz my mom made him. I wish I was home.'”

She told him of how her daddy had gone with the Seals on a mission—a secret mission—and that it had been a year since his disappearance.

“'We waited a year, Mr. Bartley, but mommy never heard from him. She got a letter one day last month and she cried. I think they listed him as offi...officully...

“Officially.” Herb helped.

“'Yes, that.'” She looked at the older man gratefully. “'Offi...cially as missing in action and pre..sumed...presumed...'”

Not able to finish, she started crying hard, burying her face in his shirt.

The ex-Marine remembered how Amy had stuck to him like glue, on most, if not all the tours their group took. She stayed as far from her uncle as she could. Benny was preoccupied with Randi most of the time, ignoring his niece completely.

That was almost two weeks ago. Before the island started to sink. Now the situation was tense and he had to save the group. He couldn't do it alone. “We'll be okay, hon.” Herb said, trying to be reassuring. “We just need to swim over to that raft.”

You've got to be brave, Herb. Save these people. They're counting on you. He looked back and saw Benny try to grasp Randi's butt. He was immediately slapped.

Well, most of them were.

Herb Bartley knew that he had to do everything he was trained to do and to remember always one crucial expression that had saved his ass more than once in Kuwait.

Semper Fi.
"So. You're famous?"

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Thu May 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey, this is a good first flash for the challenge! I like how it leaves us wanting more but could actually be a complete flash fiction.

I don't think I'm sure of which prompt you are doing... I'm guessing the first one.

and if so... on to part 2...

Week 2 -Write a story from the viewpoint of another character in the first story showing a completely different version of what happened. Make this character someone unknown in any way to the main character in the first story. Give this story an ending as well and leave the mystery intact, perhaps adding more to it.
JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm

I hope I got this right, Jill.

Finally, my Week 2....

The high-powered binoculars flew and hit the passenger door, falling into the deep abyss of the Jeep .

And out of reach of the angry driver.

“That bastard!” Miliana Song cursed out loud trying to reach, unsuccessfully, the cord of the glasses. She slammed on the brakes of her jeep.

She had warned the group of birders not to go over to the small island of Mara Vagu. Warned them. The small island was no bigger than a football field to start with. It had been sinking over the course of a few years and in the recent weeks, the tiny island started sinking faster.

She had warned them that with the underwater tectonic shifts that were echoing throughout the islands, and Mara Vagu was unstable and dangerous.

“'But a breeding pair of Fiji Goshawk was spotted on the island.'”

“'I don't give a damn if you saw a pot of gold on Mara Vagu,'” Miliana recalled her conversation with one of the birders. Marge? Yeah, it was Marge. A know-it-all from the states. “'You and your group have no business being on Vagu.'”

All the warnings went unheeded. The only boat large enough to take the eight people out to the small island had left before she could stop the captain of the Jarl II.

That was two days ago and several small earthquakes had been felt as far as Suva. Now from a scarcely populated island of Karu, the oceanographer had watched helplessly as Mara Vagu started disappearing at an alarming rate.

Miliana yelled into her phone, praying for an answer on the other end. “Wally! Wally, get on the horn, damn-it! I need you stat!”

She felt hot tears running down her sunburned cheeks as only static greeted her.
"So. You're famous?"

JB
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby JB » Wed May 18, 2016 10:56 am

should i have posted in other thread, jill? I can move it to week 2 if you want
"So. You're famous?"

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun May 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi JB...
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. I saw it come across my screen and then life sucked me in (more specifically, 'work' took over my life).

This second part is exciting! It has a lot of action and really makes me want to know what's going to happen next and how everything will come together.

You can post it over in the 2nd part as well if you want... however you want to do it. You can even start your own thread and post them all in succession when you're done maybe? That might be cool!

Return to “WordTrip Monthly Writing Challenge”