Don't let FaceBook continue to take this great site down.

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Bess
Wordtrip Junkie

Don't let FaceBook continue to take this great site down.

Postby Bess » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:19 am

I know everybody and his brother has a Facebook account, but there are too many adds and way to many distractions for people who want to get serious about their writing. I'm also aware of the many writing groups there. I've joined a few, but they are nowhere as fun as WordTrip or have as many fun things to do that encourage someone to write. People actually had personalities here. Maybe we can advertise WordTrip in those groups on FB or in our status. If there is anyone in WordTrip land of like mind, let's figure something out.

I know I haven't been here in a long time. I've had a few serious medical issues and lost my father and it's taken some time to recover from everything, but I'm ready to play around with friends again. I'm sure if the core group got together and brainstormed, we could come up with something to revive this important site.
Copyright Brenda G. Evans 2008
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Bess... LOL... I just sent you a PM telling you where I was on FB. Never mind... :)

I agree with you that the forum is the best way to write... if I could get Charles to give me the permissions then I would clean the site up and give us a handful of forums rather than the long list of them that no one views any more.

The big problem is that this site's background (behind the scenes stuff) is old and unable to keep up with the future. I mentioned that I thought about creating a new forum but in order to do that in the best way, it costs money. You can create free ones but they are not very useful.

Maybe one day Charles will be able to get me in but it seems that this site is dead and it's really very sad. Facebook is not good for writing... it's for contacting friends and family and talking about what you had for dinner. It's not for getting your writing publishable. Blogs have a similar issue... you can use them better than FB but their really more for finished work... a place where you post your finished work.

The forum... the board... this is the best! You can have hidden forums for practice works, you can have challenges and competitions, you can get to know people, and you can have fun.

So, I am hopeful because this can come back one day. I have joined a poetry site and that was okay for a while but it got weird after a while. I've joined other writing sites but none were as warm as this one.

I created a blog called Fast Fiction Friday to replace that challenge from WT. It's okay but... people have to find it and then want to go back. Blogs are all over the place and hard to keep track of but when you're on a site like this, it's all in one place.

You never know though... lets keep in contact!
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:33 am

Agreed, Jill. FB sucks for writers wanting to post rough drafts, receive crits, and cheer others on. FFF works for me, but is anyone else using your prompts to their advantage?
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:05 pm

No one else is using the prompts that I am aware of... but I can't say for sure.

Because WT is so 'quiet' these days, I did not see your post above until now. Back in the day, I would have seen this the very same day or the next because I was always so interested in what was happening.

Charles said he is working on fixing some things so don't give up entirely. :)
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 am

I haven't given up on this site. I'm just not feeling very creative or inspired lately. I still come back every week or so hoping something will click in my brain and I'll start writing again. There just seems to be too much "real world" stuff going on that I can't concentrate on "imaginary worlds" any more.
Is this my reality or yours?
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:41 pm

I am inspired, and writing, and find ideas everywhere I turn. Sorry, WT, I miss you, but life and work goes on.

A check just arrived from Over My Dead Body!, a story's waiting at Writers Haven till their site is Google-ready, Bill Olver at Big Pulp asked me to do a Western (I did, my first). and “Premarital Planning” was published by Bewildering Stories at http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue ... nning.html. (Marriage preparation is such a wonderful show of togetherness, unless, of course, there are sharp differences of opinion about the holiness business.)
 Cruising the Green of Second Avenue is available at Barnes & Noble and other online book sellers. More good stuff at http://allotropiclucubrations.blogspot.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat May 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Sounds like you're doing awesome Timber! A western? I don't know if I could pull that off. I enjoy watching them and have read a couple of books but I do not imagine them to be an easy write.
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 am

Hey, Jill, notice that WT no longer sends a note to your in box that there's been a reply to a thread you're following?

Just caught up with your comment, gal. The Western needed an angle (Oklahoma land grab) and a sub-theme (Cherokee-white conflict), melded with a coming-of-age character (kill the bad guy to become a man). Seemed to work, but I can't get my quarter-blood Cherokee friend off my back with her insights into the culture.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:51 pm

HAHA! Well, I can't help with your friend wanting to 'help' you.

I notice that as well, I asked it to inform me of a post on this thread and just now saw it... 15 days later. So, something is broken. It's frustrating and I'm not sure if it's being worked on or not.
timberline
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby timberline » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:23 am

Got two notices of mail from WT, but they went to my spam box. Mebbe it's working now.
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 am

Hmm... well I've still never received one but I never looked in my spam. I'll keep a look out tho!
dee
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Re: Don't let FaceBook continue to take this great site down.

Postby dee » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:38 am

I don't have a Facebook account and i refuse to get one. :-P So there.

I've been gone a while. Working on tons of stuff besides writing. However, the writing bug got me again and I just finished a short story today. I need to revise it, edit it, look at my "show don't tell issues" then submit it.

When I finished my story I thought about Wordtrip and here I am.

I like the look of this forum. I find forums to be more organized and streamlined than Blogs, Facebooks, or that other thing called "Ning". Maybe forums are old school but I don't care, I like them. Especially for writing...so if there's a vote...I vote keep the Forum.
JillStar
Moderator+

Re: Don't let FaceBook continue to take this great site down.

Postby JillStar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Dee!

Been a long time! I don't know when or if the site will get back up and running. I'm mostly waiting on Charles to finish things up so I can get to work on moving things around and straightening up all the clutter. Keep checking back and hopefully it will be soon... although I've been waiting a year, so I'm not sure what 'soon' means. :wink: 8)

And I agree... this format is way better for writing than facebook or other formats. I love forums... just need to wake it up again and get people back into this type of grove. :)

Return to “Personal Blogs”