Writing Blog of one Spinal Cracker

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Writing Blog of one Spinal Cracker

Postby Tyler Anderson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:39 pm

I've recently started a novel...

8)

...and the task seems as daunting as creating a time machine. So, as a warmer-uper for writing and just something I can keep track of myself with to keep me motivated, I've started a writing blog.

I won't say too much about what the premise of the novel is, but as it looks now it's going to be a supernatural thriller. I was working on another project, when we started an assignment in creative writing class. We were supposed to write a horror short story, and upon starting it I fell in love with the idea that all to quickly manifested itself on the computer screen before me (almost like magic). When I got home, I started work on it, and more and more of this idea started to flow out. The project I was working on in my free time (The End Button if anyone is familiar or also known as The Man In The Room) went right to the waiting list for now and I started assembling my climbing gear and scaling up the cliff-face.

However, I had just assumed the mountain to be a giant slab of rock, when in reality it was actually Everest. After starting a week ago and about 5,000 words in to my story, I realized that the whole plot as I had it set up was not going to work. So I went back to make the necessary cuts (in which the casualties were about 2,000 words), and then started a new as to say. The short story that I'm writing in my class is going to be a section of the book (the short story itself is now well over 4,000 words), and then after that the sky is the limit.

One thing that I've noticed about my writing, comparing short stories to my attempted novel, is that I seem to try to stretch out everything in attempt to compensate for length. When I'm writing a short story, the story is all meat. But as I'm writing this novel, I keep looking back over what I've written and nodded my head as I caught myself rambling during a description or putting in too much detail.

The whole process is really aggravating.

But...I will not stop till the it's finished. At least the first draft.

Sorry for the length, I had to get a lot of stuff of my chest. The other entries will be shorter.

Peace Out,
-Tyler
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"
Tyler Anderson
Master Tripper

Postby Tyler Anderson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Wrote from about five to eight tonight, at this rate I hope to be finished by mid April. Ever since I made my little changes yesterday, everything seems to be going a lot smoother. I'm all excited.
"Why don't I ever listen to me?"

Return to “Personal Blogs”