Random Mutterings of a Wanna-be

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Saphyre » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:08 am

I am about to prove that Spontanious Human Cumbution actually happens, becuase I'm so excited I might very well explode. I just got back from another tournament, where I took nothing but firsts in my Impromtu rounds. I'm going to STATE! Oh- and I'm exhausted. Check in with you all tomorrow.
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Well... it's a bit later than tomorrow. And following yet another tournament, I am now going to state in Parli as well as Impromtu.

No, I haven't been writing lately and I offer these excuses: (1) I'm exhausted, (2) I'm busy, scratch that I'm swamped, (3) I'm uninspired, (4) I'm frustrated with (and/or plotting the iminent demise of :evil: ) most of my "friends" and contacts, (5) as a result of the above, every character I write comes out cynical, and (6) it's been a really long year.

So if I check out for awhile, don't delete me. Just... ya' know... pray for my sanity and welcome me back when I choose to return to the living. Thanks
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:35 am

Wait until you're old, like me, get a house, a dog and a job with a really long commute. I wanted to crawl into bed and just crash. When I looked at the clock and found it was only 9pm I proped my eyes open and tinkered around for another hour before I gave in. I'm still too young to give in to going to bed at 9pm no matter how exhausted I was feeling.
Is this my reality or yours?
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 pm

If it's any consalation- I'd kill to be able to go to bed right now, at 8:45, instead of having to re-write my cases for tomorrow. They got shot out of the water today, but I think I salvaged enough to stay aflout through the cut.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 am

Cut managed, now facing another. Cannot think but must revise again. Pray for my sanity. Too late to be concious...
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:36 pm

Tournament: success

Sleep level: critical

Result: going to nationals

Homework: lots

Time management: lacking

Break: deserved

Boredom: lots

Tests: looming

Material: unstudied

Concern: little or none.

Bottom line: here when I shouldn't be, but thrilled to be back and to be going to nationals.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 am

Ha! I liked how you said that. If our lives could be summed up that way mine would be:

Workload: massive

Job: boring

Deadlines: looming

Sleep: abreviated

Rest: nonexistant

Vacation: overdue

Time management: wasteful

Concentration: limited

Concern: lacking

Bottom line: I've resorted to stimulants (caffeine) and Wordtrip just to stay awake and look like I'm working.
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Amen! Preach it!

If I wasn't still on an emotional high from qualifying to go to nationals I think it's safe to assume I'd be unconcious. Oh well, such is life, I suppose.

I'm reading a really good fiction series at the moment called Binding of the Blade. It's by L. B. Graham. By really good I can't say it's the best writing I've ever seen, but it certainly wholesome. Even though it's a series mainly aimed at youth, he's not afraid to throw in appropriate character death for the situation, and he also doesn't overdo it. The world itself is very real and detailed (or as real as you can be with dragons in the air) and that's nice too. It's a rather easy read and a bit predictable, but it's a nice rest for the brain and a good way to check out for a spell. I would encourage you to look into them, if any of you have more time not to waste than I. It's great for killing time you don't have.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey again. I don't know if anyone bothers to read this, but I'll update anyhow.

Writing: slow

Inspiration: lacking, hence slow writing.

School: busy as always

Teachers: crazy or high, not sure yet, but always fun

Homework: too much

Time: too little

Resolve: low enough that I'm doing this instead of homework, enough said.

Friends: knee-deep in drama I'm trying to avoid. And he's not even that cute!

Dog: seems to be in need of a shrink from being left alone too much recently.

Summarization skills: less than before judging by this entry.

Entertainment: no time for it, but I liked The Timetraveller's Wife.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:15 am

I'm looking at renaming this whole thread as my track record, because I only seem to write when I have good news about debate, which is the only type of news I've had about debate recently.

I took 1st at a tournament yesterday, along with another guy from our school (because the tournament was only 3 rounds, everyone who went undefeated got a 1st). I got a pretty easy draw, which was nice, and two of the other top debaters were forced to face each other in the last round. So at least one of them now has a loss, which will help me later in the season. Oh what I wouldn't give to have been a fly on THATwall!

As for my current writing... I have a new idea I really like, but I'm holding off on writing until I know a little more where I'm going. I don't want to get 20 pages in and have it die on me like so many stories do. Maybe I'll write and post a couple scenes here to try it out, then decide whether I'm writing it or writing out the idea and storing it to write later.

Life itself it CRAZY (which makes me temped to try to the writing contest topic, but also means I don't really have time to) and school is piling up. I've neglected 4 days of homework in order to prepair for my tournament, so I've got all that to tackle TODAY. ouch. And yet, here I am again.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 am

I'm glad you did well in debate. I'm sorry to say I don't have fond memories of debaters. My older brother took debate in high school (I was in jr high) and at dinner he would ask me a question to get a debate started. Like: What color is air? Does tomorrow really exist? Things like that. I tried my best to argue . . . I mean debate with him but it usually ended up with me running from the table crying my eyes out. He was always prepared for anything I would say. It was terrible. I hated it then, but now I think it made me a more careful thinker (good or bad) before I say things.
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm sorry. I've had to face some girls that are real biiiiii- beasts. yes, beasts. So anyhow, I know how it goes to be so frusterated you just want to...

In any case, I hope you don't hold it against me. I LIVE for debate sometimes. Of course, all my close friends are in it, so we ALL live for it come tournaments.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 am

Now that I'm older (a lot) and wiser (a little) I don't mind debating an issue. I love playing devil's advocate and arguing a side that I don't necessarily believe in but one that no one else will touch. So I don't hold it against you. I think it's great to do something that stretches your mind. It beats sitting in a mind-numbing job like me.
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:22 pm

What do you do Peng? I feel like I should know, but can't remember.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 am

underwriting commercial insurance. How boring is that? :zzz:
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Ummmm..... ok, I feel really sorry for you. that sounds worse than even my biology class. Ugg.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 am

It wasn't so mind numbing then I might have some brain cells left in the day to write something creative. But alas, that is not the case. :(

Return to “Personal Blogs”