Random Mutterings of a Wanna-be

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

Saphyre
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Random Mutterings of a Wanna-be

Postby Saphyre » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:52 pm

So...

I don't really have time to write or to do anything else for that matter, including manage a blog, but I thought it would be a nice to have a place to complain and whine about the unfairness of life, so here I am. Amazingly, as long as that was, I don't think it qualifies as a run on sentence. Huh.

About me:
I write mostly fantasy, almost all fiction, and rarely finish my work because I usually realize that the plot is dead before I can get to the end. I love my characters- they are a part of me and talk to me throughout the day. I hate my plot, because I hate having to hurt my characters for the sake of conflict.

I listen to Light-Christian and Disney music. That's it, and Disney is a rarety.

I am really old-fashioned, so I use sayings no one knows or uses any more and I won't even let my characters cuss- I have another character cut them off. I don't mind reading forward stuff (with a few exceptions) but I just can't write it.

I live somewhere in the USA.

I write about what I know and what I make up- I do little to NO research. I'm not incapable of it, I'm just lazy.

And I am swamped, on a good day. I don't have time to write- I have to weasel and struggle and strangle every moment out of every day to make time to write. So while I love to critique, I don't do it nearly as much as I should.

That's all I can think of for the moment...
~Saphyre
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…
For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 am

Ah... confession time... the type that makes us feel good because we see that we aren't the only ones doing certain things. I hope it's okay for me to write about "me" in your blog. :shock:

Let's see... I write my stories in my head... usually in an outline format. The outline will hit the page along with a few first chapters and then... because I've seen the story in my head, I don't finish it. Why? I suppose because it's finished... in my head or in an outline. Course... who's going to want to read an outline. :?

I also write fantasy but lately I'm writing more "opinion" articles in my own blog. It's mostly politics so I suppose once this election thingy is over, I won't be quite so wrapped up in it. Honestly, though... my fiction fantasy writing made me much happier.

"They" say to write all the time... every day... no matter what is happening in your life. I was writing strong for a couple of years and then stuff happened... my boyfriend and I broke up, I moved in with my mom to help with my dying step father who then died two days after I moved in, I couldn't find a job where my mom lived so I moved to another state and currently am so worried about whether or not I can pay the mortgage that I don't FEEL like writing.

I also write about what I know or stuff I make up and only do research when I doubt myself... but why would I do that. LOL :D

I am tired when I get home so instead of writing, I play on the computer (which is stupid since I'm on the computer ALL DAY at work) or I watch TV. Now... if I'm not doing those things, then I'm doing my doctor recommended exercises to strengthen my back because I sit at work all day long. Although I may play on the computer or watch TV at home... I don't do it for 8 hours... I stop and do other stuff. What other stuff... more that takes me away from writing, of course... like making dinner or cleaning (LOL... that's a good one) or organizing (love to work on organizing but rarely AM organized) or playing with the dog. So there's always something to take me away or cause me NOT to write.

Regarding characters cussing... I do it if necessary (which it usually isn't) but the swearing still isn't anything dramatic. I would use the, what I would call, the "basics" in swearing: damn, hell... stuff like that. But I don't feel the "major" swear words are necessary... at least not in the type of writing I do... when I write.

I did try once to write a story about a woman predator who would search out younger men. Well... that didn't work well for me because in order for me to write the story, I had to think of things I wouldn't do or couldn't even think of... it just made me sick inside so I stopped writing it (after about 1 chapter) and forgot about it. I think if you're writing something that makes you THAT uncomfortable, don't do it.

Also... if I feel I need to amp a story up a bit... I can always do it later, after I've written a particular scene. I'm not sure if that's what others do. For example, if I read what I've written and it's putting me to sleep or feels like it's missing something, I can always add in at that point. Of course, that's back to the "outline" thing I mentioned before... unfortunately, if I wait until later, I may never even read that scene again to re-work it. This is a major flaw in my writing technique.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:29 pm

About the cussing... I understand that people take oaths, especially when they're mad or such so I don't have a problem with the idea or concept, I just don't like to do it. Not like it makes me sick... just that it rubs the wrong way. Usually it goes something like this:

"He got away."

"Da-"

"Language Michael."

"You've got to be kidding me. Of all the words to say that's not the worst one. After all, I could have said-"

"Drop it you two and focus. He can't have gone far. Michael, take the right wing and..."

So it's not really a problem, I just work around it. Plus it's fun a lot of the time to cut people off. If I really want them to curse I give them their own saying. For instance, in my Michael/Sabrina stuff Michael always says "Magics below" because it seems like a fun dwarvan curse. That sort of thing.
~Saphyre

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus…

For by grace you have been saved through faith… it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Please always feel free to critique anything I write as I am by no means perfect!
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:19 pm

I curse a lot in my own life. It's a product of working in newsrooms for years and years. We won't get into my favorite words because most of them are curses. lol

But in my writing? I don't do it a whole lot. It has to really mean something for me to have a character curse. My angel of death character, tho, curses a lot more than most of my characters. I just want him to be the antithesis of what people expect an angel to be, which is why it's like that. But where is the line? When does it become too much? Right?

I love Hunter S. Thompson's writing, but Fear and Loathing in Vegas I can never get through at one time. Because there is just so much drugs, which is fine. But it's hard to get around it sometimes. So I have to put the book down and let it rest for awhile.

I don't want my writing to be like that.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:12 pm

thanks guys. I don't feel so weird now. xcheck- how long does it take for a bruise to form? you didn't vote and I NEED TO KNOW! i've had several people tell me it varies, so i need data to make an accurate assumption.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:49 pm

Okay Guys... big question. Which of my Michael-Sabrina writings you like best and why? I have to submit one to English and I want to submit my best one.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:57 pm

To answer your bruise question: it depends on how deeply the blow was.

I've hit things and it's take a day or so for the bruise to show up. Recently I banged on shin on a rocky river bed. By the time I got out of the river the bruise was already prominent on my leg. It was a very hard, deep bruise that lasted in full color for almost 3 weeks (and was very painfull to walk with). Look at how hard the blow was and also look at how easy your character bruises. I dont' bruise easily so when I do bruise it's got to be something major. Other people might bruise easily.
Is this my reality or yours?
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:04 pm

'Kay. I finally decided she bruises easily and the bruises take several hours to fully form, but after about 45 minutes she can tell they're going to be bad. Is that about right, or at least plasable? From what people have said, it is. So how do I end the poll?
~Saphyre

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:54 pm

RE the bruise

It varies. I've had bruises take a day or two to form. I've had bruises form immediately (like when I broke my toe). So totally matters the injury, etc.
Behind the Press

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Right. How do you end a poll? I have the info I need now, and the speech is already turned it that I needed it for.

Also, what do you guys think about the Michael-Sabrina thing? Have you read them?
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am

This is why I didn't want to start a blog, I knew I'd never keep up with it. Part of the reason for that is that I don't really want this page to be about me but about my writing since that is the main reason for my membership here (the sub-reasons being the writings of all of you wonerful people.) and as I have lacked the time or inspiration to write... I have nothing to blog about.

I have currently abandoned my more daunting tasks for what appeared to be somewhat easier. Appeared being the operative term. I am trying to write a romance about a girl with Multiple Personality Disorder who has one personality fall in love with a guy who then tries to win the heart of the other personality. It has a really sappy but realistic ending planned out and all of that. But I have a few plot problems that are making this emensly more difficult.

1) i identify with one personality much easier than the other, and she is the main character here. as a result, i wanted to focus on her moslty. then i realized that i'm missing the perfect opertunity for some angst in my romance by not exploring how the other girl feels when her fiance starts practically dating another 'girl', even if it's for her sake. so now i have a main character i don't know and am having trouble finding.

2) when i started this i was really on fire, cranked out like 20 pages in four days and thought i'd have it done in a few weeks, so i didn't write down any of the background or backdrop and now it's all foggy and i can't remember where my basis was.

3) i really perfer to write in chronological order, and i can't get past this one scene. i know i just need to jot it down, move on, and then come back later when i know the girls better, but i can't get it right becuase everything is all stiff and linear.

4) i use too many things that are obviously just plot devices. even when i try to step up for them and make them seem natural, it's pretty obvious they were just stuck in there to move the story along.

so those are my pre-holiday woes. the story of every writer's life, i'm sure, but it feels good to rant sometimes.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:57 am

Well, it's your blog so you can do anything you want with it.

As to helping you with some of your roadblocks all I can say is just plow straight ahead. Take notes of the things you can remember and things you want to happen in the future. Also when I get really stuck in a scene I make stage notes in the story instead of fleshing everything out. This keeps the story moving along linearly but doesn't mire it in stuff I haven't figured out yet. Something like this (a terrible example to be sure):

The breeze blew a strand of her golden hair across her face. He looked into her eyes and felt his mouth go dry. How could he tell her how he felt?

PALMS GET SWEATY

STAMMERS HIS CHEATING CONFESSION

GETS INTERUPTED SEVERAL TIMES

GIRL SITS IN SILENCE FOR A LONG TIME

"Well, aren't you going to say anything?" Thomas pleaded, fearing the answer she would give.

She turned her head back to look at him and stood up abruptly. Thomas stood up to face her, or chase after her, he wasn't quite sure. She raised her hand and slapped him hard across the left cheek. He reeled back a step or two while black flecks danced in front of his eyes. By the time his sight cleared she was gone and he could hear the roar of a car's engine fading into the night. He should have picked a more populated area to confess, but he was hoping a more romantic place might help her forgive him. Now he was left to walk back down the mountain alone.

Once I figure out what those ALL CAPS parts are I can easily replace them in the story when I know my characters betters. The fact that they're in all caps makes them easier to see on the page when I'm proof reading or editing.

Just remember that unless you write very short pieces it will probably be very rare that the great euphoria we have at the beginning of a project is going to last through out the whole thing. There will be peaks and valleys. And we should all learn to write through both of them.

I hope this helps.
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 pm

it does, thanks.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 am

I simply love the holidays. True to tradition, we have now finished decorating the house. So far this season we have baked three pies, two turkeys, and watched eight christmas films. At our home, Christmas is an art! Yesterday we did the nativity and all the indoor/outdoor lights, wreaths, and greenery. Today was the tree and it's the best it's been in years.

*furrows brow in frustration as she repeatedly hits paste with no result*

I tried to put in pictures to show you, but wasn't able too. How could I share these with you all? I don't have a membership with any other sight that I could post them there and give you a link. What do I do?
~Saphyre

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:41 pm

i believe you should be able to "edit" you entry and simply delete your poll...

as for the pictures, wish i could help you - would love to see them but i STILL haven't figured it out. i keep thinking i'd like to throw a picture or two in there myself. LOL jillstar knows - i'll twist her arm and make her tell... :D

wish our decorating was like that but i'm lucky we even get a tree anymore.

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:52 pm

I've tried editting the post, but it isn't an option. I made the mistake of making it a never-ending poll.
~Saphyre

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm

maybe it's just a mod feature, but i just clicked edit on the first post. scroll all the way down and there's a feature that says "delete poll." click that box and then hit submit.

If it's not there, let us know and one of us mods will take care of it for you. That sound good?
Behind the Press

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Yeah, I think it's a restricted feature. there is no edit button on my poll, but if you'll end it that would be amazing. I would really appreciate it.
~Saphyre

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:13 pm

do you want it ended or completely deleted?
Behind the Press

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:27 pm

deleted. THANKS!!! :-D
~Saphyre

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Done. Glad i could help.
Behind the Press

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm

So here's what's new:

Apparently I am more popular at school than I thought, and have a lot less resolve than I would have guessed. You see, I printed out the short story I wrote (The Noble's Dance) for a couple of friends. They not only read it and loved it, but they lent it to their friends and their friends' friends. So now I have people I've never met coming up and telling me how much they love my book. Cool... right?

Well, yes and no. See, they not only love the story but the characters too, and they wanted to see more. This alone would not have made me pick up the story line again, but seeing as I love these characters as much as my... 'public'... does, I decided to turn The Noble's Dance into a novel which I will release in short stories (like releasing a book chapter by chapter).

This is a horrible idea, I know that.

I should never undertake something of this size given my lack of time and ability. I know that too.

But... I love the story, love the characters, and love the praise and recognition. So shoot me. Or perhaps I have already shot myself...

All this as Christmas and finals are fast approaching and I find myself dealing with the drama that comes from having several sets of 'more-than-friends' and both halves of ex-couples among my ring of friends. Is it wrong to prefer your fictional characters to the real charcters in your life simply because the fictional ones shut up when you ignore them? Yes, I know that it is. But I really thought we were supposed to grow out of all this drama at some point! And I thought only girls cared about that sort of stuff! My guy-friends are just as bad as the girls!

So there are my troubles... mostly self-afflicted. Ah well.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Time for my woes again... wow. This blog must be really boring for all of you to read.

First, and I guess if I wasn’t so tired this would be a victory chant instead of a woe, I just got back from a three day tournament in which I was in the top 16 in “parli” debate out of about 80 entries and in the top 14 in impromptu speech out of 117 entries. So I’m exhausted (we had 8 rounds on Saturday alone and 13 total throughout all three days). On Saturday I didn't get to bed until 12:30 and still had to compete Sunday morning at nine. So today I slept in till eleven. I love three-day weekends.

And now, instead of doing homework, I’m here on wordtrip.com. That's a mistake! I have also discovered what I have feared to be true... I’m in writers block. Not just for one story, but in general. I tried to do some prompts... nothing. I tried to work on my own ongoing stuff... nothing. I can’t even write a basic character profile, which is usually really easy and fun for me. So if you don't hear from me for a while... that's why. Wow- I used a lot of '...'s right there. Huh.
~Saphyre

Saphyre

Postby Saphyre » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I'M BACK!!!!! Did ya'all miss me?

So, since I last talked to you all I've been busy (had another tournament and took 2nd in league out of 48 entries and will be advancing to state quals in parli), but I have finally come back. Really, I should be doing homework because I have a Euro test on the 27th that will cover three chapters I haven't started reading yet, a Chem benchmark on Wednessday I haven't cracked a book for, and Math homework. Oh, and two LD cases to write and an Impromtu B-State Qualifier to prep for. But I'd rather be here, so I am.

I'm still in a bit of a brain-lock over a good portion of my ongoing stories, but the good news is that creative juices are now flowing over prompts and poems. I've drafted a couple poems I rather like, but I'm having some problems with the rhythms. When they're a little smoother and less of an embarassment I'll post them in the appropriate forum.

Also, to my great delight, I have heard from Michael and Sabrina again. I'm a little hesitant to start writing their actual story because it seems like the sort of story I'm destined to abandon, and I thought I was proven right when both characters just seemed awkward every time I tried to write them. Then I found the "What if" shadow prompt and suddenly poof- there they were. Not perfect, but much better than the stuff I didn't dare post less I die of shame.

So there you have it... my procrastinating life in a nut-shell. Read and enjoy.
Last edited by Saphyre on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Saphyre

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:57 am

My advice: write it anyway. Even if it's crap think of it as practice writing. And if you've gotten something down on paper and you abandon it it's much easier to come back to it and get in the proper frame of mind years later if you're reading that piece of paper then trying to remember what you wanted to write. I know. I have a really good idea that I thought of in junior high (a very long time ago) that I wrote down but then hated. I still have those pages (they're a bit yellow) because I think the idea is still valid and reading those pages brings it all back to me. If I didn't have those I don't think I would be able to remember the idea as clearly as I do now.

Return to “Personal Blogs”