LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Hey LizGrayson,

Too bad you didn't live closer to me. I could get your car fixed for free. My dad is a mechanic and he can fix anything and everything. Darn huh??

Happy Easter!

Elle
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Crap! It is too bad.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:06 am

Having rebuilt an engine in my younger days, it is not an easy job.

It really is hard and labor intensive.

Just an FYI.
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:10 am

Yeah, it just sounds bad. They told me today though that it could be a cracked head gasket, which wouldn't be as labor intensive since they wouldn't have to replace the cylinder, just the gasket. I'm praying it's that.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:55 am

From the files of the NOW I'M OFFICIALLY PISSED department :evil:

Ok, I just got off the phone with Firestone. I originally took my car to a local placed named Route 9 Auto because they specialize in servicing Saturns. When our local Saturn dealer packed up and left town, the mechanics stayed and opened a shop out of a gas station. Usually they've been pretty good about helping me with my car, but not this time. The problem is not even remotely what they said it was!

Instead, I took my car to Firestone, where I was just informed that there's no coolant mixing with the oil and my car passed the compression test. However, when they looked at the coolant, they realized that because my car has never had the coolant system flushed (it's been five years) the coolant is now the consistancy of lard and has clogged up my radiator. So I'm still out abour $800 to replace the radiator and flush the coolant system, but that sure beats the $1000 or so it would have taken to make the (totally unnecessary!) repairs with the official Saturn mechanics. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........... :evil:

Just because I'm a girl that knows next to nothing about cars, except how to check the oil level, put washer fluid in and what kind of cars I like to drive, I shouldn't have been taken advantage of. I thought my car was riding too smoothly to have a huge problem with it. See if they get our business again!

I'm glad we listened to the voices in our head that were telling us to get a second opinion. That would have been a pointless waste of money, and in this economy, who can afford that?

At least now we can go ahead with our plans to get a new computer....that was what we originally had planned to use my husband's distribution from his dad's company this year for, that and a new sofa.

Geez. I'm ticked yet relieved.

Back later with more on last night...
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 am

Sounds like good reason to be upset.

The one problem is nothing like the other.

So Duke won?

*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey LizGrayson,

Sorry about your car!!! It's Saturday night and I want to wish ya a Happy Easter. Have fun.

Elle :D

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks Elle! I had a lovely weekend. Not much happened so that made it nice, especially since spring practice for football starts in two weeks and I won't have Bill home on the weekends. Yesterday we went to church and the service was inspirational. Our minister ended up having to leave before the sermon because he was sick due to his gallstones so his wife read the sermon and did a great job. The music went well too, although I'm glad that it's over with. Working with the men's choir always produces great music, but their director is so concerned with the technical aspects of singing that it's really tiring. There ought to be a happy medium between our director and theirs. Well, we should all sing together all the time but that's a story for another post.

I meant to make a post about Thursday night's service and never had a chance to - all in all my piano playing went well, although I was pretty nervous about it. I was supposed to meet a choir member at the chapel at 5:30 to practice but she forgot about that and I ended up not getting in to practice until about 6:10. That made me nervous, and when I finally did get to practice, the deacons were there to set up the tables and stuff, so all the loud banging and talking kept me from being able to hear myself. Which is why I wanted to practice at 5:30 - I would have had some peace and quiet then to get myself in the right mindset. We started the service at 7:00 and took communion after our choir anthem - they almost forgot to serve me! I swear to you I must be invisible or something. Once I got into the hymns it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be - I just stayed focused and the best hymn I played was the last one, so I gave everyone a good note to end on. I really don't think I could be the full time accompanist though - too much stress involved. And I don't play organ either, although I know the basic concept and probably could if someone would teach me. Still, I wouldn't want the stress of that. WOrrying about playing perfectly every weekend would put a hole the size of Texas in my stomach.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:09 am

Good to hear your playing went well.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 am

From the thank God it's not my job department:

My hubby got an interesting update on a former student employee of his who graduated last year. He has an engineering degree but can't work as an engineer until he finds out how he did on his licensing exam, so....he's been working for LifeAlert in their customer service department. Not only does he have to convince older people that they really need a LifeAlert system, but he's also got to contact relatives when their loved one dies to get the LifeALert buttons back, since you lease them instead of own them.

I feel so bad for him!!! Everyone I know has had a crap job right out of college (myself included) but that takes the cake. I guess it pays the rent but I feel bad for him.

"LifeAlert offers condolences on your mother's passing...but...there's a little old lady in Boca who just signed on, so we need your mother's button back as soon as possible..."

It kind of reminds me of when Dottie passed away and my friend Paul was asking for her church key back at the funeral. Not quite that crass, but still....
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 am

And thanks JT, the playing went as well as it could have. My hubby thinks I made much ado about nothing as far as getting so stressed out. I told him that I felt tired afterward, like I'd just had a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I guess it was a metaphor for Easter in a way, but I probably over reacted to the whole thing.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Sigh.

From the Occam's Razor is a pain in the a$$ department :

After all the crap my in-laws put me (and my hubby) through over my car, after all the stress of schlepping my car all over creation and spending money I didn't have to try and get the same opinion twice out of mechanics, after all the worrying about what was wrong and how much it was going to cost to fix it-

I got it fixed for $67.50

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm quite relieved I got off easy. Basically the Saturn guys told me that since I've never had a coolant systems flush in the entire 5 years I've owned my car (a fact that had my in-laws up my butt :evil: ) I probably just needed to do that. In 5000 miles I'll take my car back and if the coolant is all nasty and gross again, then we'll have to worry about a potentially cracked cylinder gasket. For now, though, the easiest solution is the one that came through for us.

After all we've been through over this stupid car, I can't believe it came down to this. :shock: All the stress and crap for nothing.

It's the story of my life.

Sigh.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:29 am

What year is the Saturn?

I had a 2000 Impala and the coolant didn't need to be replaced for 100,000 miles. A fact mentioned several times by the salesman.

Since Saturn is from GM, then perhaps you do not need to have your engine flushed every year. If it's a 2002, you could have the newer coolant.

If this is the case, tell your in-laws to P$^%-off.

I did have a GM mechanic tell me the coolant still needed to be flushed regularly. When he was finished working on my car and the bill paid. I asked him again about the coolant and he repeated about still needing flushing.

I smiled and asked him if he would like being subpeoned for court when I sued GM for fraudulant and deceptive business practices. I no longer go to that dealer.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:51 pm

It's a 2002 SL2, but it has about 130,000 miles on it. Between my old commute and following the football team all over New ENgland I've wracked up the mileage.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:15 pm

I think you might need to get it flushed. :yimdoh:

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:44 am

Yeah JT, that was my initial reaction too. That and I need to take better care of my car. :shock:

So I talked to my folks last night - my nephew (4 yrs old) told me that he had headache and he didn't think it would get better! What a little drama king! Seriously, though I think he's seen how much attention his sister gets with her chronic illness, and I think sometimes he tries to get that same kind of attention when he's not feeling well. I had to laugh though - you'd think this little fella's world was at an end.

Speaking of my niece, she's got cystic fibrosis, and was diagnosed at the age of 4 months. She's been through quite a bit in her (not quite) 3 years of life, including many doctor's appointments and lots of needles - yesterday she went for her three month check-up and is doing great! She's getting taller, which is why she hasn't gained as much weight as the nutrionist would like, but you can't get taller and gain weight at the same time. Too bad I can't get a couple of inches taller :x :-D

Anyway, she had to have some bloodwork done and in true Eliza fashion had to be held down by three doctors and her Nana. Mom told me that when they drew her blood she looked at the needle and at the nurse and said "get it out and get off me right now" - I can just picture my little red-haired angel saying that. At least she's a woman who knows what she wants.

Our beach trip is tenatively scheduled for June 7-14!! Woohoo! Can't wait!!! Myrtle Beach is my favorite place to go on vacation and with the kids its even better.
My sister and brother in law won't be able to go, but we'll still have a great time.

Oh, and my sister and brother-in-law dodged a huge bullet this week. They both work for Wachovia - my sister in the fraud prevention department and my brother-in-law for the securities division. Well AG Edwards was just bought out by Wachovia and they're moving most of the Wachovia SEcurities employees to St. Louis. For them to relocate, Mike was basically going to have to make twice as much as he is now in order for my sister to stay home with the kids (they couldn't afford specialized daycare for Eliza with her CF), and in this economic downturn, that wasn't happening. They gave Mike a really crappy offer, so of course he turned it down. I was worried about them moving, because my sister, in her entire marriage hasn't live more than an hour and a half away from my mom and dad. She's not the kind who could be independant like me and Bill (not that I'm tooting my own horn), which is not the way I thought things would turn out when we were in high school (but that's a story for a different post). My worst fear was that they'd move out there, she'd be miserable and then want to move back home. So all's well that ends well.

The only bad news I got is that my grandfather might be having mini-strokes again. He's 86, so the treatments they can offer might be worse than the symptoms at this point. :shock:

Other than that, life's pretty routine. The football team is practicing tonight and tomorrow so I'll be left to my own devices most of the weekend - not that I mind, I have always cherished my quiet time. I'll probably just write and cross stitch.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:38 am

Not much is going on in my life just now. I'm continuing to write (or really, continuing to think that everything I write is crap) and still working on the cross stitch I started my nephew a year ago. Perhaps if I ever get it done I'll point everyone in the direction of my Flickr account so you can see it. I did send out the baby bib I finished - it was for one of the coaches sons and it had a little football helmet and jersey on it, so it turned out really cute if I do say so myself. Most of my projects go out as gifts, and I enjoy people's reactions to them, especially when they don't know I cross stitch. (Google "Teresa Wentzler's The Castle if you want to see the one I'm making for myself that will take 17 years to finish!) I've got so many projects in the works that I'll have to live to be 359 years old to finish them all. And I'm starting a crochet class next Tuesday too!

Good grief. I'm too crafty for my own good. :shock:

I also worked on a journal of my poetry I'm sending to a friend in England, and I'm thinking I might make one for my mother too. It all depends on how this one turns out. So far so good though.

Not much else is going on - my husband thinks I was bitten by the smart-ass bug this morning (and I have to say I agree :D ) so this should shape up to be an interesting day.
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:06 pm

A poetry journal ohhh....that's sounds interesting!!! What kind of poems does it include?? Hope you are doing well... :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:59 pm

It's just a smattering of all my poetry (well the poems i don't think are crap anyway!), handwritten in a notebook with scrapbooking embellishments like stickers and stencils and fuzzy thread, etc. It's fun to make. Might make one for my mom if it turns out ok.

I'm spending way too much money on books and scrapbook supplies lately! Somebody stop me!
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 am

I just found out that the friend I"m making the poetry book for broke her leg on a ski vacation last month. Hopefully this will be a nice "get well" present. Of course, it takes a month for mail to get to England, so she'll probably be in rehab by the time she gets it.

Not much going on, as per usual. I went to the dermatologist yesterday and have started a short-term antibiotic regimen for my rosacea. I started it today and so far, the only real problem I have is that I'm so dizzy I feel like a woozy floozy :-D
I'm ok unless I make a sudden move, so I'm trying to take it slow. The doc told me that dizziness is the major side effect, so I'm starting out with one pill a day for a week and then working up to two. Somehow the dizziness is worth it if it clears my skin up, though. My two major triggers are cold and caffiene, so hopefully, if I swear off of coffee for a while :shock: it'll clear up, since it seems we are beyond the worst of the cold weather for a while.

It's going to be 80 degrees today!!! \:D/ Of course I have Monday off for Patriot's Day (one of those distinctly Massachusetts holidays) and it's going to rain all day. No excuse not to stay in and write then :-D

Speaking of writing, I submitted six of my poems to Tarpaulin Sky, so around July I should know if they've been accepted for the Fall 2008 edition. I figured what the heck? I didn't have to pay a reading fee or anything, and what's the worst that can happen? I get rejected? At least I tried!
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Well I'm happy to report that on my day off it didn't rain! I ended up going to help my husband film practice because both of his guys were sick with the stomach flu, and quite frankly, I'm glad they didn't come to work. I just taped the offensive drills...pretty easy stuff....when they break the huddle you hit record and when they stop the play you hit pause. And do this ad nauseum until the coaches move on to something else.

This week has been quiet otherwise. I started my crochet class last night which was fun. There are ten of us and we're in varying stages of not knowing what we're doing. Instead of starting at the beginning, we started not quite in the middle - the beginning of the middle, I guess. Sarah gave us these little swatches that she had started for us and we learned to single crochet, chain 1 and turn to go back the other way with more single crochet. Sounds easy enough, but when you sit and do it, it's easy to mess up. I noticed that my little scrap piece kept getting smaller as I worked the rows and it's because I wasn't working all the way to the end of the row before chaining and turning. Her advise to me was to go one more than you think you need to at the end, chain one and then after you turn it, start one after where you think you'd start. Trust me, it makes sense if you see it done. So last night after I got home I practiced a little and I think my swatch is even now. I just have to practice loosening my grip on my hook so that I can fit it through the loops.

First up is a potholder, then a granny square, a cute little drawstring bag and a hat and scarf. :D Just what I need! Another craft addiction!

I was telling my husband about it last night and he got this glazed over look like oh boy, it's bad enough hearing her prattle on about cross stitch. Now this? :D

I'm still thinking about the direction I want to take the tag Elle and I are working on- I've got a couple of ideas, but my brain is frozen in neutral and polluting the atmosphere....
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Amazing, I was reading your second paragraph and my eyes glazed over and my forehead hit the keyboard. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 am

LOL JT, nobody could ever accuse me of having an interesting life.

It's really rather sad the things that excite me.....
:(
*sigh* :roll:
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Well yet another week in my life is underway and I must say, the things you can miss when you don't watch the news amaze me.

As most of you know, my family is all in Richmond, Virginia, and it's just me and my hubby up here in MA. Well last night I tried to call my mother and couldn't get through...the line sounded like someone trying to pop popcorn underwater, so I called my sister to check on her. She told me "well the phone could be messed up from the tornado"

Tornado? Excuse me?

It seems that a tornado blew through Chesterfield County Sunday about 15 minutes from where they live. Although it's not the first time a tornado has hit Colonial Heights, it's still not something you expect to hear. Tornados are for places like Memphis (where they have a great tornado warning system) and further west, not Virginia. It reminded me of the tornado in 1993 that struck basically the same area and killed several people in a Walmart where a friend of mine worked. The main problem in Virginia, besides the lack of warning, is that most homes don't have basements, so what do you do in that situation? I remember my mom telling me that she'd have to hide in her coat closet or in the utility closet in the main hallway - everything else is near a window. Fortunately the tornado didn't get that close, but what would have happened if it had? Yeesh...

The other tornado hit in Suffolk County which is near Norfolk. My sister's in-laws live in Virginia Beach, so they were pretty much out of the path of it too, but still.

Really bad stuff has to go down if a small town like Colonial Heights makes national news.

Other than that, life is quiet. Guess quiet is a good thing. I tried to schedule one of my tests that is required before my husband and I start our IVF treatments (well, mine really, since he doesn't really get that involved until later) but the timing was wrong. I've checked the calendar and think I can get it done before we go on vacation --I just want to get it over with. I'm getting the female reproductive system version of what I just had done to my car. The thought of getting cathaterized so they can watch dye flow through me to make sure my part of the deal is ok is not something I want to think about much longer. Then again, this is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what I'll go through from here on out, so I'd better suck it up and deal with it :shock:

My life.
Gotta love it. Such that it is. :D :shock: :-D
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:52 pm

HI Liz Glad to hear you are well

Return to “Personal Blogs”