LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks D! I appreciate it. Pepper is a sweet baby and part of our family.

I bit the bullet - I'm entering a revised version of Icarus Revisited in a local writing contest. It's only a $12 entry fee so I'm not out much when I fail to make the cut (not pessimism, just realism, there is a difference :-D ) If anything comes of it, I'll be sure to share it.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:33 pm

And now it's time for a rant.

Consider yourself warned.

Earlier this afternoon, I read online that Food Network is firing Robert Irvine because he embellished his resume with things he hadn't really done, most specifically designing Princess Diana's wedding cake and working at the White House. It's a shame - I liked his show and thought he was an interesting personality, but I think it's right to fire him.

Now what really gives me the red tush about all this is that I'd say about 97% of the comments I've seen online are to the effect of "what he did wasn't that bad, he shouldn't be fired."

Excuse me?? He lied to his employers. That is grounds for firing, whether you're a celebrity or not.

How can people stick up for him? Have we gotten so desensitized to lying and other immoral behavior that we automatically assume that the liars and those of questionable moral character are victims ?

Then again, who are our role models? Politicians lie all the time, athletes are obviously cheating and getting away with it, reality t.v promtes the belief that the only way to succeed in life is by backstabbing and lying - we live in a society where you can say whatever you feel like saying, whether it's true or not, and not have to take the responsibility for your actions.

In Robert Irvine's defense, he seemed to make a heartfelt apology, but even so, I have to wonder, is he genuinely sorry, or just sorry that he got caught and lost a lucrative job?

Like I said, it doesn't bother me so much that Robert Irvine got fired, but the general public's response. It's like the athlete who gets kicked off the team for drug use and then the fans are pissed at the coaches for it. And trust me, I've seen it happen. Many times.

Anyone can make a mistake, and I hope he learns from this. But I think the general public needs to wake up and realize we can't lament the downfall of society if we're going to contribute to it by being accepting of immoral behavior.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Yeesh...maybe I shouldn't post when I'm PMSing LOL :shock:
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:52 pm

The problem is wide-spread lying on resumes, period. You send the resume to the HR department now, not the actual department that is going to use the person. HR is basically useless, unless you need some form.

So people lie a LOT on resumes. And the HR dept can't check because all the old company can say is that you worked for them during this time period.

But to put down that you worked at the White House and for Diana, is REALLY dumb. And he was caught.

Too many people believe that sports and media celebrities should be excused from accepting any type of responsibilty for their lives.
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Yeah, you have to wonder about the sincerity of someone who only apologizes after he gets caught.

I'm with you, Liz. He made his bed.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:10 pm

FIRST OF ALL nobody even talk to me about the Duke/UNC game on Saturday night. Talk to the hand 'cause the ear's not listening.

Other than that, it was a nice weekend. I went home Friday night to Richmond to visit my family, or I tried to anyway. My flight was supposed to get to Philly at 7:15 and leave at 9:45, putting me in Richmond at 11:00 Friday night. After a four hour flight delay due to maintenance I didn't get home until after 1am. Then my little nephew woke up at 7:30 on Friday, so excited about his fourth birthday that I didn't get any sleep after that. So going on a severe lack of sleep coupled with daylight savings time was a little sketchy, but I had a great time. We had a Spiderman birthday cake and triple chocolate ice cream for his party so needless to say, he and his little sis were on the ceiling most of the night. Yesterday I had most of the day with them and left at 6:00 to come home - the flights were much smoother and I got back by midnight so it was a great weekend.

I was glad to see that my mom's dog was doing fine. If you didn't know he had a heart murmur you'd never be able to tell he's got one.

Hope I'm not boring anyone.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:20 am

So Duke won, huh? :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 am

LOL you're a wiseguy, eh?

As my husband's so fond of saying, the regular season means squat. It's all really about the post season.

:evil: If Duke plays like they have in the past month, they won't even make it to the Sweet 16..... :evil: :evil:
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Whether Duke wins or loses:

The sun will still rise and set.
The moon will spin around the earth.
The college players will still get paid. :D
They will still be given convertibles to borrow. :D
Someone else will still do their homework. :D

Or in other words: Don't sweat the small stuff.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Hmmmm at Duke they're smart enough to do their own homework :yimnerd:

And by the way, who's the Olympic basketball coach this year???? Hmmm....let's ponder that one shall we? :twisted:

You don't mess with me and Duke basketball....uh uh....that could get messy :wink:
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Bobby Knight

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I mean THIS YEAR :-D
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:03 am

It isn't Bobby? :?

Somebody from Duke? :)

I don't follow sports or the Olympics. Especially the Olympics after they decided to allow pros play in a venue that is supposed to be only for amatuers.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:36 am

LOL, yeah I don't like that they allow professionals in, especially when there are no professionals in the winter Olympics. Or do they allow professional hockey players? I can't remember.

Bobby Knight was coach back in 1984 :o

It will be interesting to see how Coach K handles pro players. I'm sure he'll be up to the task.

In any event, I don't like much of the summer Olympics anyway. All I usually watch is the swimming, diving and gymnastics.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:41 am

Although I can't say anything about Bobby Knight because he coached Coach K at Army and was his mentor.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Coach K doesn't throw temper tantrums, assault players, and act as the poster child for psycho behavior does he??

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 pm

LOL thank goodness no. Fortunately he learned to weed out the, shall I say, more interesting sides to his mentor's personality. But I have seen him get technicals for telling the refs to $#)% themselves. So he does have a bit of a temper. It just takes a while for him to show it. :bow:
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:17 am

Ah, what a wierd week I have coming up - as if last week wasn't wierd enough! :helpme:

I guess I'm just stressed because this Easter I'm carrying a lot of music on my back to get the choir through Holy Week. Now, if it was up to me, I'd have delayed the search for a new accompanist until after Easter, simply because there's just too much going on to neglect the music we have to practice. That's unfortunately not what we did though. We haven't practiced our anthem for the Maundy Thursday service yet - I'm the only one who knows we're even doing on because I'm playing the piano on that. So we get to throw it together last minute at Wednesday night's rehersal. Oughta sound great on Thursday night :roll:

Then there's a hymn I just realized I haven't been practicing, so I've got to try and throw that together Thursday night before the service. And to top it all off, my rehearsals haven't been all that great (I can't play in a cold building when my hands are cold) and I have to perform on a crappy piano. Can't tell I'm stressed at all can you? :shock: :shock:

Like I said, we've not had our priorities straight. Of course we need a new accompanist as soon as possible, but not when we're in the middle of Easter preparations. We've got a guy helping us out now, and I think we should have concentrated on working with him. Last Wednesday at our rehearsal, the second person to "audition" for the position came in and I have to say that it was the most uncomfortable rehearsal I've ever attended, perhaps second only to our first one back without Dottie. Brenda seemed to be nice enough, but she's way too high maintenance for us. SHe came in and warmed us up with breathing exercises and snooty scales; then she had to name drop about when she worked for the Metropolitan Opera. The worst part was that she thinks we're hiring a choir director, when all we need is an accompanist. I was trying not to watch when we were singing, but our director was cueing us in and Brenda was too - it was like dueling directors or something. We're a simple choir - four sopranos, three altos,a female tenor and one bass. And I'm the only one in the choir besides the director who reads music. We don't need someone like Brenda. :roll:

We've been falling apart since Dottie passed away, and I feel like that is such a disservice to her memory. Hopefully all will go well next Sunday. No wonder I feel like this Easter has been so blah.

All was well this weekend. Got my oil changed and found out that I could have a cracked cylinder gasket, so I'm not too happy about that. :o

Hubby's getting a cold, and his cold meds kept him up all night on Saturday, so I had to do his scripture readings yesterday. I don't mind that though - as much as I'm in front of the church for music stuff, reading from the Bible isn't that big a deal.

We saw 10,000 BC last night. Pretty good for a popcorn flick that you're not supposed to take seriously, even if there were no steel tipped spears or domesticated horses that long ago.

Got a lot of work done on my nephew's cross stitch project while I watched John Adams on HBO last night....

All in all not a bad weekend...
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:35 pm

oh but on a happy note, I found out this weekend that we're actually getting a tax refund instead of owing, like we did last year. :D :D :D :D

I thought the capital gains on the $2400 worth of stock I sold last spring was going to kill us, but fortunately, enough taxes came out of Bill's paycheck that we're owed $331 back. I'd rather pay more taxes up front than end up owing. I know it all averages out but it feels better to get money back.

\:D/ \:D/ :thumbwink: :rock: (this is my happy money dance!)
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey liz,

Did you get a chance to do that Tag thing??

Elle :D

Happy St.Patty's Day
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Honestly I haven't had a chance to work on any of my writing in the past few days. It'll probably be easier to write after Easter.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Elle, the writing fairy has blessed me with some quiet time at work so the tag should be forthcoming in a day or two, I think (fingers crossed!)

And now an update from life in the fishbowl (or Noah's Ark, take your pick!)

My hubby inquired at the rental office today about when we'd be getting new carpet (one of many casualties of our flooding) in my closet. Quite frankly keeping my shoes on the guest bed is getting to be a pain in the butt. To our surprise, they're going to be taking up most of our carpet, and they're coming over sometime today to figure out how they're going to manage to move our stuff long enough to replace the carpet. With all our junk, I don't see how they can do it, short of completely moving us out and rearranging all our stuff but if they can do it, then I'll be doing my happy-new-carpet-dance!

They have also installed a pump outside at the corner of the building to prevent water from getting into our apartment again. I'm so relieved! Nothing is more disheartening (or creepy for that matter) than watching water advance toward you as it takes over everything.

Ah, the trials of living in a basement apartment in New England!
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Hey that's great!!! :D

Look at my new pic and let me know what cha' think. P.S. I updated my blog. I'm soo smart. :D :D :D
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris

Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean

A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:20 am

That's a better picture! He's pretty cute from what I can tell.

Let's see...what's going on in my life that's worth writing about? Not a whole lot's going on at the moment. Last night I worked on a poetry journal I'm sending to a friend of mine in England. I decided I wanted to do soemthing more than just handwrite my poetry, so I have a bunch of scrapbooking materials that I'm using to jazz up the pages. So far, I have a couple that I think look really good and eventually I'll post pictures at my Flickr account so everyone can see them. Let's face it, I scrapbook and do stuff like this because I never got over my childhood obsession with paper and glue and markers. My favorite stuff is this ribbon that looks like the fun fur knitters use to make scarves. I'm using it as a border for some of the pages and it's just fun. Plus it's bright colors too which really make the pages stand out.

Tomorrow is the big day as far as my music goes. I can't wait for it to be over with actually. The one problem I can see is that I'll have my back to the choir, so I won't have any way to see the cues. Guess I'll just have to listen well. :)

Like I mentioned, we're getting the apartment recarpeted, so I'm sure that it will look like a war zone tomorrow. Lord only knows what I'll be walking into when I get home. Ah well, with my rotten sinuses it's better to replace the carpet then to deal with mildew.

Sigh.

My life is pretty boring isn't it? The only real excitement is that I've entered my office March Madness pool, and I'm playing against a few people who have no clue about college basketball at all, so that increased my odds of winning a little bit.

JT, I only have Duke making it to the Final Four! :cry: But I do have Memphis going all the way and beating Kansas in the final, so we shall see.......

And I'm doing the happy dance that I've passed 200 posts now. \:D/
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:48 pm

From the files of the Good News and Bad News department...

The bad news is I'm facing a $1000 repair bill for my car. It seems that somehow they think I've got a cracked cylinder gasket and after I get a compression test done, if that's what it is, they have to take the engine block apart, rebuild the cylinder and the gasket and put everything back together. I totally am in the wrong profession. Shoulda become a mechanic with the rates they charge for labor. At least it's been caught early - driving around on it could destroy the whole engine block and we'd be out several thousand dollars then (can't tell I'm a glass-half-full kinda girl can ya?).

The good news is that the Virginia Tech memorial cross stitch quilt that I participated in last year is finally nearing completion. Basically when I was unemployed last spring, a lady on one of my cross stitch websites announced that she was going to put together a quilt and if anyone wanted to do cross stitch squares to let her know. I had tons of free time (tho I wish I hadn't!) so I took one afternoon to stitch up a square. It's going to have the name of each victim stitched in the school colors (maroon and orange) and then other squares, including mine, that have different images of peace on them. I stitched an angel in a heart border and put the VT initials in it with the phrase "Love Will Prevail" my name and town on it. If anyone's interested, I can PM you a site where I have a picture posted of it. The only reason I won't post it here is because it would blow my pen name out of the water :wink:

So for every bad thing, there's a good thing...yin and yang. I must admit that my life is generally pretty balanced...........

Return to “Personal Blogs”