LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 am

Okay, you asked for it. :D

So after the procedure, who asks, "So, was it good for you?"

'Ba-rum-pum' :D
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 pm

LOL Yeah really. Actually they just tell you to go home and wait 11 days before you have a pregnacy test...

Like I said, I need a sense of humor about all this.:(
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:43 pm

From the I know it's been a long time since I wrote but my life has been quiet lately files:

I haven't written in a while because it's been relatively uneventful in my life lately -that is until last Saturday night anyway. My husband and I were furniture shopping for a new sofa and were gone for most of the afternoon, and decided to end the day by going to the Batman movie. By the time it was over and we stopped for ice cream, it was 9:00, and heading home things. got. really. wierd.

The first thing we noticed was a volunteer firefighter driving around and shining a spotlight on powerlines...that was strange enough, but then we noticed that it got darker and darker the closer we got to home. :shock: It was pitch dark in town, and there were several power company trucks at the police station.

When we managed to stumble in the door and find our flashlights, we noticed that the town Board of Selectmen had tried to call but were unable to leave a message due to the power outage. We assumed that it wasn't going to take long to fix, but after a while we gave up and went to bed.

Sunday we found out how bad it really was. We took a walk and the center of town closest to us looked like a war zone. You could really see why a state of emergency was declared in our town. Several streets were blocked off due to fallen telephone poles and power lines, and trees were down everywhere. They weren't uprooted, but twisted off in the middle of the tree, and the bark looked like it was peeled off like a bananna skin. You could see the path the storm took right through town, and it was just unbelievable. If I hadn't known better, I'd have thought a tornado went through Sunderland, but it was a microburst instead (which is just as bad). A weather service member came out and determined that it was a severe thunderstorm that created a microburst with 80-100 mph winds, and the people we talked to about it said it lasted maybe five minutes at the most. Several cars were totalled but for the most part people got really lucky and didn't suffer too much property damage. It's the most action Sunderland has probably seen in years, if not decades. Our local news stations even sent trucks out to interview residents. It was insane.
The town was good about keeping us informed as to what was going on and by Sunday night things were almost back to normal.

The only thing I can't decide is if I'm upset I missed all the action, or if I'm glad I wasn't home. I think it's probably the latter, but a part of me that is twisted beyond recognition would have been awestruck by a storm of that magnitude.

By the way, we didn't get power back until 2:00 Sunday, which actually shows you how hard the Western Mass Electric Co. had to work. 17 hours isn't much time in regards to a power outage.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:42 am

And if you hadn't stopped to see the movie, you could have been in the middle of it.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:02 pm

True. I think I'm glad I wasn't home. Now the weather service is saying it might have been a small tornado combined with the microburst.

A tornado. Here in west buttmunch Massachusetts...
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:34 pm

So life here in the boonies is rather quiet. Football camp starts on Tuesday (my 34th birthday, btw;) so we're just trying to enjoy our last couple of days of freedom. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my "alone" time when Bill's working late, but I do miss him terribly when he's not around.

Poor thing hasn't been sleeping well the past few days. I feel bad for him, 'cause nothing's worse than going to be and not being able to stay asleep. He says he's not stressed, but I can't imagine why he woke up at 4am after taking two sleeping pills if he's not.

Tomorrow our new sofa is being delivered -- between 11:00 and 3:00, could that be any more vague? LOL! Anyway, we've had the same sofa for 9 years, but it's 14 years old (bachelor pad furniture) and wasn't all that expensive to begin with. Springs up the tush are getting old so as of this time tomorrow we will have a nice comfy sofa with built in recliners in our apartment. Woohoo! Can't wait! It's right sad the things it takes to make me happy isn't it? :roll:

So you can see life in our corner of the world is rather routine and quiet.

Well, except for one thing. I found out last weekend that one of my closest friends' daughters might have breast cancer. And she's only a year older than me, with 4 children, one of whom is autistic.

Kinda puts things in perspective........ :shock:
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Happy early birthday..............

How did I do on our Tag Team I was kinda lost??
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Actually, it was fine. I started working on it this week. I'll try not to take too long.
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 am

Its fine........I've been busy trying to write more....I'm getting a guitar to match the lyrics with the music even though I can't sing.....Who knows I might actually get somewhere in life?

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:26 am

from the my life in a nutshell department

Today's my birthday - woohoo! :shock: :-D I turn the big 21+13 today (somehow I don't feel as old if I refer to it that way :-D ) and I found out I share a birthday with my bosses mother.

We celebrated our birthdays over the weekend (hubby's is tomorrow - he's a year older, well 364 days anyway!) since football camp starts today and from here on out my sweetie won't keep normal hours. He gave me a hot chocolate maker, which really kicks butt! It's basically like an ice tea pot (which I also have) but you put milk and hot chocolate mix in and voila! Lovely hot chocolate. I have some Godiva hot chocolate mix my mom gave me for Christmas, so now I'm all set. It's a sin to make hot chocolate with water (should be one of the seven deadly ones if you ask me :-D ) which is why I never drink it at football games. I'm already trying to figure out how to smuggle thermoses into the games once it gets cold.

My mother-in-law gave me money, which I'm going to put toward the digital SLR camera I'm going to buy in a few days, so that's nice. I've got my eye on an Olympus Evolt 510, so every little bit helps.

Grandpa sent me money to take Bill out to dinner with, so once he has a weekend off at the end of camp I'll take him out to dinner and a movie.

Mama was going to send our gifts last week but she broke her toe (and darn near her whole foot to hear her tell it) and couldn't get out last week, so I'm looking forward to receiving another gift sometime this week.

Ah, the joys of spreading your birthday out all week.

Think I'll just crash on my new sofa this evening and watch a movie or something. Or maybe work on my afghan that's coming along nicely. Who knows? But it's a nice birthday all the same.

And from my adorable 4 year old nephew -"We got you a card with a pirate on it, Auntie and.." (in the background you could hear my mom - "don't tell her what you got her Andrew") I could have taken advantage of that but would have never heard the end of it if I had :-D

And in totally unrelated news, my sister has been promoted to Branch Manager of a new Wachovia that has opened about ten minutes from her home. I'm so proud! :-D :D :-D
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Happy Birthday Liz!!

jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Happy belated Birthday. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:51 am

Thank you!! It was wonderful.

Being 21+13 isn't so bad after all...

Now 21+14 might be a different story, but I have 362 days to obsess over that one;)

Are you ok? The storms out your way didn't get too near you did they?
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 am

from the files of the people with little authority love to act like jackasses department:

This morning as I'm driving to work, minding my own business, one of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts wonderful (all sarcasm intended) state troopers came up behind me on I91 and started tailing me. Well I hate having people on my bumper so I pulled over into the right lane. Once he passed I pulled back into the left lane and kept on about my day. Bear in mind, I was going 65 and wasn't doing anything illegal. So a little further down the road, he pulls off into the emergency lane and then scoots back out behind me with his lights on. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, but I pulled over -- what else could I do?

So I'm digging my registration out of the glove box when he approaches the car and asks: "Why did you pull back into the left lane?" I didn't have an answer, except for that's where I was before. Then he had the gall to get snotty with me and inform me: The left lane is for passing only. You do not drive in the left lane. If I catch you again, it'll be a $100.00 fine." He didn't even check my license, so how the hell's he gonna know it's me?

And excuse me, catch me again? I was minding my own business, driving the legal speed limit in a lane that had at least half a dozen cars both in front of and behind me. I wasn't doing anything anyone else wasn't doing. Sure, if I'd been talking on my cell phone, or speeding, or tailing someone, or reading a newspaper while I was driving (which I've seen people do) then I could understand a cop being mad at me, but I was driving completely legally. The only thing was I wasn't in the right lane driving behind a smelly garbage truck that had several other cars in front of it.

So what is he going to do? Spend the rest of his career ticketing the hundreds of people who drive in the left lane? I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

On the way home tonight I'm going to count the cars as they pass me in the left lane, just out of curiosity's sake.

Of course, with the insanely ridiculous salaries cops make around here, maybe it should be obvious that his power would go to his head.

Thank God telepathy doesn't exist. That $*#()@ didn't want to know what I was thinking, and I'd have gotten arrested for it if he had.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Sorry about your day! I guess he was rude! My mom does the same thing but she screams at the people on there phones when they do something wrong. Cops around here suck because they dont do there jobs. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 am

Yeesh it's been over a month since I last wrote, but then again, the fall has been crazy busy with football and stuff so I guess writing here is the last thing on my mind.

Where to begin? Football season started on the 30th with a 28-16 win against Albany - a night game with our new stadium lights. That was pretty exciting but the season is going downhill fast from what I can see. On the 6th we barely beat Holy Cross - 48-45. Now that sounds like it's just an exciting game between two good teams, but our offense scored almost 500 yards of total offense, so what does that tell you? Our defense SUCKS! And then this weekend, we lost our first conference game 52-38 to JMU (my and hubby's alma mater, to make matters worse) - in our conference, if you want to stand a chance at the playoffs, the most conference losses you can have is three. And we have to play Richmond (who made it to the semifinals of the playoffs last year) and Delaware (who's always a tough team) this year.

It's going to be a loooonnnngggg season. :shock:

And my hubby told me that during camp he got the feeling that things were going to be tough this year. THere's a lot of pressure on us to be three-time conference champions and that pressure and stress is steamrolling over the coaches and the team. Plus, some of the defensive players aren't watching tape --which really ticks off my hubby since he busts his butt to create the videos and then they don't even bother to watch them on their own -- and the egos are starting to take over.

And this weekend they are going to get slaughtered when they play Texas Tech. With all the great IA schools on the east coast, why in the HELL did our athletic director pick Texas Tech? We're gonna get creamed. No amount of money in the world is worth getting our starters hurt. We lost our starting center last week with ligament damage to his foot. How many more players will we lose?

Sometimes I really HATE football.
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:08 pm

eeek... sounds like way too much for me to handle. i'll stick with waching my teams and cursing and not being directly involved thank you. good luck!

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks, we're definitly going to need it.

There's a lot to be said for not being as involved in football as I am.

Then again, it's pretty exciting (nerve wracking) too.

There's nothing like the feel of a great win, but when you lose it's heartwrenching.

I seriously almost cried after the game. Part of my mind told me to grow up it's just a game, but the other part told me it's so much more than that....

*sigh*
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:56 am

Yikes! I haven't rambled in a month and a half. That's not like me at all! Well this fall has been insane with (bad) football, and I have to admit that my crocheting adventure has taken me into new territory and I have strayed a bit from the writing path. Hopefully once I get Christmas things finished I'll take more time to write. It was a little silly of me to take an afghan clase this time of year, but I really wanted to learn how to make something other than regular granny squares.

Ah well. Such is the life of a crafter. We always run out of time for real life.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 am

Oh, and in the football update. We beat Delaware and lost to Richmond.

Go figure.

At least there won't be playoffs this year. With the stress my hubby's been under, he needs some down time. Soon.
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey.....
Glad to hear you are well....I wish I could say the same. If only life could be easy!
Happy Halloween!

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 am

Well I apoligize for waiting so long before writing again. Last year ended in a terribly stressful way. In November, I was laid off from my job as a legal assistant. I worked for a small firm, there was more money going out than coming in and as I was the newest employee, it was inevitable. After the shock of losing a job I loved working with people I loved, and the stress of the holidays, things finally quieted down. Bill and I are in the middle of our in vitro treatments-- well it's more like my treatments, and I'm doing all I can to keep him from feeling like a glorified sperm donor. I started taking Lupron shots about a month ago to stop hormonal production. The shots weren't as bad as I thought they'd be - I use an ice pack and numb myself up a little beforehand, so i don't really feel it. Plus I was using insulin syringes so they're tiny and not that bad. Now I'm in the stimulation phase where I'm taking three medications (fortunately one shot) to crank out my egg production. It's really wierd because I can feel things moving around in there and it's just the eggs growing. Kinda cool, but definitly wierd. It feels almost like haivng gas, only it's not painful and it's not gas. (Too much info?) Since last Friday I've had 2 ultrasounds, and three rounds of bloodwork and my largest follicle is at 13mm. It needs to be 17 for harvesting so I've got to go back to the hospital this weekend for another test and in the meantime I keep mixing my potions and taking my shots.

Being unemployed sucks, but I've tried to channel my creativity to keep myself occupied. I recently finished my first crocheted afghan and am writing like a banshee - I'm about to finish the novella I started in 2001.

Hope all is well with all of you. Delaney, your baby is just adorable and couldn't possibly be any cuter.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Wow, it's been almost a year since I posted last. That is dreadful! But 2009 was mostly a dreadful year. After I posted last, Bill and I went through 2 unsuccessful in vitro procedures. After having gone through it twice in a row, I needed some down time and we decided to wait until the fall to try again. Needless to say that was nipped in the bud after I got swine flu, but it was so depressing not to be able to give it another go.

That being said, we started another cycle in late January and I had the retrieval yesterday. The procedure was the same, only the hospital didn't know I was coming in, so they had no chart for me. The doctor and the lab knew, but the nurses didn't, so after procuring an anesthesiologist and making a chart for me on the fly, I was ready. Of course, for whatever reason, they couldn't find my veins, so after three attempts that left huge welts on both hands and arms, they finally got a line going for the anesthesia. The procedure was a success, with 16 eggs harvested (I had to increase my medication this time due to implanting 2 embryos instead of just one), and I feel better today. My hands hurt but I'm otherwise ok.

The rest of last year just kind of went by in a fog. I spent my Tuesdays at a local stitch and bitch, and worked on my writing a lot. Finally finished the rough draft of the novella I mentioned in my last post --it only took 8 years for a rough draft! Thank god I'm not a professional writer! I'd starve to death.

I didn't start working again until October 19th. I was hired by Liberty Mutual to work in their legal central processing office, and it's a good job. I've never worked in anything other than private firms, so the corporate mentality frosts my mind at times, but it's good pay and I have a shot at a 401K for the first time, so I'm not complaining.

Now that the new decade is underway, things are on a more even keel for me and Bill. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll find out if we're pregnant, which would be welcome and happy news. My sister is still out of work due to disability, but she's seeing a new doctor on March 1st after a year of seeing one that didn't help her. My brother-in-law's dad is recovering from prostate cancer, and seems to be hanging in there as well as any 73 year old can be after chemo and radiation.

Other than that, I'm planning to continue writing and trying to find a balance between it and my other hobbies.

Peace and love,
LG

PS- I promise I'll be around more! :D
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey Liz... it has been a long time!

You sure have gone through a lot in a year... and I thought 2009 was rough for my family. I wish you good luck this time around!

I am also hopeful that this new decade will be promising! Funny how when I was a kid it was "this week"... then eventually "this month", "this year" and now "this decade". Pretty soon I'll be saying "Heh... when I was yur age I had ta..." fill in the blanks. :)
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Liz,

It's good to hear that things are getting a better for you. Being unemployed is always a bummer and it gets worse as time passes.

Good luck on the baby front.

How's the rough draft?

Return to “Personal Blogs”