LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby LizGrayson » Mon May 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Well this weekend started out very crappy and ended on a quieter note, so I guess I can't complain. Besides if I did, who would listen? LOL.

Thursday night after I got home from work and was crashing, I started feeling terrible. My skin just felt like it was on fire and I was so itchy it wasn't even funny. Everywhere I touched ended up breaking out in huge red welts that looked like I'd been attacked by rabid mosquitos. Turns out I had a case of hives from an allergic reaction to the minocycline my dermatologist prescribed for my rosacea. Of course, I didn't have any Benadryl so I had to take a sleeping pill to get any rest.

Friday morning I stayed home from work while I waited to hear from my dermatologist. He confirmed that I had hives and needed prednisone and Benadryl (taken only at night of course, who can take that during the day??). Well I went in to work despite my better judgment, and by the end of the day I was so broken out I was in pain. To top it off, we were supposed to go to see George Carlin at the Calvin in Northampton - had the tickets for a month (they cost $72!) and what happened? Bill's work screwed us out of getting to go. Granted, the way I felt, it was probably better off that we didn't go, but I was so mad I could have chewed nails and spit bullets.

Anyway, the spring game was on Saturday - it felt more like October, but we made it through another spring practice. It's amazing how fast time flies when football enters into the equation. There was a party at one of the coaches houses afterward and we won $100 in a Kentucky Derby pool. Basically we threw in some money and I drew Big Brown's name out of a hat! I couldn't do it again if I tried. Of course we were all upset over Eight Belles' death - that kind of put a damper on our celebration.

Yesterday I went to the bookstore with my husband and got a couple of books, one on Catherine the Great (as a feminist, I figured that would be a good read) and one that's an anthropological look at cultural diversity. Seems like it's written well for the layperson and I'm fascinated by world history/anthropology. Probably didn't need to spend $45 on books, but as the quote goes, when I have money I spend it on books.

We took a night without t.v. last night to read and I started Farenheit 451 which I really like, even though it eerily parallels our world and is a little bit trippy.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm

from the the federal government and the Boston Herald is doing its best to give my husband's profession a black eye files

This whole "NE Patriots cheated by videotaping a walkthrough" thing HAS GOT TO STOP! :evil:

My husband is a football videographer for UMass and is a member of the American Football Coaches Association and the Collegiate Sports Video Association. He knows Jimmy Dee (I think that's his name), the head videographer for the Patriots, and Jimmy and the other guys that he knows are good guys. Enough of trying to drag their reputations through the mud.

For those of you who aren't familiar with football terminology, a walkthrough is a practice the Friday or Saturday before the game. The team basically goes through their entire set of scripted plays without actually having a full-pads practice - naturally the stadiums are closed to the other team when that's going on. So, if the Patriots did film the walkthrough, they not only violated NFL rules but committed an ethics breach in the process. Is it cheating? Technically yes, but it's a little bit like stealing signals in a baseball game. It's probably pretty prevalent, but there's the caught and the uncaught.

Do I think it was cheating? Yes.

Do I think they should have been punished? Yes.

Were they? Yes. The team and coach were fined and they paid those fines.

Now let's move on and worry about more important things.

And besides, if they had to resort to cheating, would they have crapped up the Super Bowl like they did? Hardly. They'd have beaten Eli Manning by 35 points if they'd been cheating. So regardless of taping defensive signals last fall, or filming a walkthrough in 2002, the Patriots are good. Come on, Teddi Bruschi damn near died of a stroke after the 2006 season - does a man with his will and determination and personal strength have to rely on his videographer cheating to be the best at what he does?? I really don't think so.

I'm not a Patriots fan at all (better be careful saying that around here! :shock: )and I get sick of them always winning, but before everyone vilifies them and Matt Walsh (the videographer in question) maybe they should get their facts straight.

I think John Tomase -the journalist who wrote the article about it -should be fired. Apolgy accepted from the Boston Herald, but he should be fired. Never mind that he relied on blogs where it was nothing more than rumours and innuendo posted by pissed off fans for his sources - he didn't even bother to cororborate his so-called facts.
Never mind that he printed flat out lies and tried to pass them off as coming from Matt Walsh himself.

When you write something that can ruin someone's reputation you'd better be damned sure that you can back it up. And John Tomase couldn't - and knew he couldn't. If Mike Nifong could get disbarred for ruining the reputation of the innocent Duke lacrosse players and tainting a trial that should have never been held, then Dave Tomase should be fired as well.

Journalists ought to have more integrity than that.
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Here's a radical thought.

During the 'Walkthrough', NO video people are allowed in the STADIUM.

I realize that this is REALLY a radical thought, and maybe if we say it really slow-like it would register with the footbal coaches, etc. :-D
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 pm

LOL! My husband is way too busy on the day of the walkthrough to be near the stadium. I should think the professional football videographers would be, too.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm

from the files of the I can't believe I did it department:

Yesterday I walked a 10k in 55 minutes to raise money for cystic fibrosis research. I raised $315 which was over my goal, and I was proud of how my friends came through for us. What I can't believe is that I still have legs after that - I'm sure they're there, but I feel like I've been walking on my knees all day.

I had been working toward that goal, walking the track at UMass to get myself in shape for it. The one who really deserves the applause is my hubby, who walked the six miles without realizing what he'd gotten himself into. He was in rough shape by the end but I couldn't have been prouder of him.

:D

My sister walked yesterday in Virginia and made $1800!!

Maybe someday there will be a cure for this evil illness.
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Wow!! Good Job liz!! Tell your sister good job too.!! :D
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu May 22, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks! I'm rather proud of us, anyway!

Tomorrow we're heading out to visit with Bill's family in Fairfax. I'm looking forward to having a day off - my first since Christmas. It'll be nice to see them. I think we're going up to our alma mater, JMU, on Saturday which should be a blast from the past. I still can't it's been 11 years since I graduated from college. And 13 since Bill graduated. We must be getting old or something.

Nothing much else is going on. My crochet class ends next Tuesday :cry: I'm going to miss it, but I have learned so much that I'm going to take the second class in the fall. In the meantime I'll have a lot of stuff to crochet - granny squares for my UMass afghan, hats, scarves and dishtowels. As long as I stick to beginner patterns, there's really nothing I can't do (except maybe socks!) Should be a lot of fun.

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet. Got Bill's car back from the shop where he was having a little body work done. It looks good as new, which is great considering she's less than a year old, and that dent looked terrible. At least insurance covered it.

Hang in there everyone! Summer's almost here! :D :D
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue May 27, 2008 8:47 am

Well I'm back from my Memorial Day vacation, and from the looks of it, I don't believe that people are not traveling because of the economy (more leftist propaganda to make the current administration look bad if you ask me) - our flight to Baltimore was pretty full, and if the traffic on I-66 toward Fairfax was any indication, people aren't letting the economy keep them from living their lives.

Anyway, our weekend was packed with stuff - on Saturday we went out to Harrisonburg to visit JMU, my alma mater, and I couldn't believe how much it has changed. It has been 11 years since I graduated, though, and I haven't really had the opportunity to go back since I now live in Massachusetts. I was amazed at what they have done. The football stadium now rivals most IA schools, though winning the national championship in 2004 probably helps with that. They're building a new fine arts facility for the music and theater departments and are digging a tunnel under the Quad so that you can get to the new building. And there are thousands of other little things that are so different - it kind of made me feel old to see it all, but I'm proud that my school is growing and competing with schools like UVA and Virginia Tech.

When we were done there, we ended up touring a Civil War battlefield near Bill's grandmother's farm. I hate to say (being a southerner and growing up in Virginia) that I had never toured a battlefield of any kind, anywhere, and until I moved to MA I had lived in the south my whole life. It was really a sad story and the movie we watched in the Hall of Valor made me cry - it was about the battle of New Market, where 6 VMI cadets between the ages of 15 and 19 died the first time they saw battle. Basically, Breckenridge's unit was supposed to defend New Market so that the Union forces couldn't destroy the supply lines through New Market to cut Richmond off - they won the battle but at a high cost. And not to besmerch the memory of anyone who died there, but it was more that Siegel, the Union commander, made too many mistakes than it was that the Confederates actually won. If there had been a decent commander on the Union side, Breckenridge might not have won.

And after that, we went to Shenandoah Caverns. I - yet again, the deprived child - had never been to any of the caverns in that part of the state, not Luray, not Endless, not Shenandoah. I must say I have always been curious, but for some reason my family never went on many of the local touristy type vacations. So we went and it was just amazing. The cavern is 210 feet below ground at its lowest point, and the average temperature in there is 50 degrees (thank goodness I had a jacket). There were all kinds of formations and it was quite beautiful, but the thing that really stuck with me is that it takes 125 years for a stalagtite/mite to grow an inch. I was amazed by that, and the fact that the entire cavern structure is about 555 million years old. Kinda made me feel rather insignificant. The other thing that occured to me is that if Bin Laden is hiding in a cave system like that, we'll never find him. With all the nooks and crannies you could crawl into, the fresh water that's naturally available, all you'd need to do is stock a cave like that with food and you'd never have to come out.

So on Sunday we didn't do anything but see the Indiana Jones movie. I have to say I was highly disappointed. I won't say too much here, but let's just say, they should have ended the series with the third one. Shia LeBoeuf was trying to hard to be like a combination of Fonzie and James Dean, and John Hurt ended up not playing Abner Ravenwood, like I thought he was going to. Cate Blanchett was pretty cool, but her character was a little more off the beam than the usual bad girls in those movies. And James Broadbent was underused - they could have cast anyone in his role, it was so miniscule. So my advise would be not to waste your money seeing it at night. If you must see it, go to a matinee. Of course, that's just my opinion. But aliens and Indy? Not a good combination.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:39 pm

That I had no problem with.

The vine-swinging, a little.

I liked the movie.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed May 28, 2008 5:14 pm

I had a lot of nit pickiness with it (the hand of Lucas was too visible, the special effects dept was over used, the vines being a good example of that), but enjoyed it (largely because Harrison Ford is still the f-ing man). I did a bit more write up on it at: http://blog.charlespillsbury.com/?p=235

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 am

Harrison Ford will always be the man. I just didn't like the film. It was ok. But I prefer my movies with less CGI. Which is why I'm an original Star Wars purist - most of the added CGI in the re-release was unnecessary. I guess Indy couldnt' fight Nazis forever, but the alien concept just wasn't all that great imo. Still it was better than the Rambo and Rocky sequels. Just my humble opinion - I could be wrong :D :D
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 am

From the I haven't been on a rant in a while so prepare yourselves department:

This weekend was probably not destined to go well for me. I had my HSG test on Friday afternoon (I won't go into any of the particularly gory details, but you can google HSG if you want to know more about it) and the test results were about 90% conclusive that there's nothing wrong with my uterus and ovaries. The wierd thing is that when they were finally able to catheterize me, the dye favored my left side, so the doctor wasn't really sure if my right side was ok. They assumed it was, but that's an awfully big assumption. However, they're the professionals, so I assume that if they're ok with the results, then I should be. Anyway, I was drugged up on valium and in quite a bit of pain so that probably colored the following rant.

I was feeling a little bit better by Saturday so we decided to go see Prince Caspian (a pretty good movie, I'd say) but as I was getting ready we got our church newsletter. Basically, the first thing that set me off was that the deacons of our church (I'm a Congregationalist - like Obama) received a couple of complaints that people were put off by clapping in church. I'm not talking about clapping in time to music or anything. I'm talking about a bit of polite applause after an anthem or solo. So they summarily decided that since our performances are for God's glory and not our own, clapping is from here on out banned. Banned! You can only clap now in the pre-service announcement phase, not during the service.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that clapping in church is a issue with many sides to it. Some people feel like it's irreverent, others feel like there's no need to do it because the performers know that their contributions are appreciated. There's a lot of reasons why people might not want to clap.

So don't! Nobody forces anyone to clap during a service. If you don't want to, just don't do it. Nobody will care or hold it against you. Personally, I'm highly offended because I'm in our vocal and handbell choirs, and occassionally I play my flute, either with the choir or as a soloist. I don't do it for my ego. That's not the point. I do it to try to share a message with the congregation, and if they want to let me know they "got it" by clapping, there isn't a damn thing wrong with that.

Censorship is alive and well in our church.

So the church newsletter brings me to a second rant that actually ticked me off even more than the news that our diaconate has become a fascist dictatorship. There is a section of the newsletter called "musings from a pew" which is an anonymous section that one member of our church writes every month. Some of us have our ideas on who writes it, but nobody really knows for sure. ANyway, to make a long story short (TOO LATE! :D ) this month's musing was about a member of our church who is fighting a brain tumor. The gist of the writing was that the author had to wonder if he'd lived a less "hard partying, cleaner" life in his youth if he'd have a brain tumor today. Now this member of the church is a man not that much older than my husband, he's got young kids and a loving wife. Who among us has the right to judge whether or not he deserves this tumor?? Then the article goes on to say that if he hadn't been a hard living man, he wouldn't be the man we know and love so maybe it's ok. Excuse me??? If I were that family, I'd leave our church and not come back. They haven't been to a service in a while due to his illness - I'm pretty sure that if I was possibly dying from brain cancer that I would rather go to a different church where I could find comfort in my time of need.

As my mother says, sometimes the hardest place to be a Christian is in church.

So after all that, I thought my rants were through.

But then I went to play golf yesterday afternoon. And I was wrong.

You have to understand, I'm not the world's greatest golfer. I play a little slow, so I generally ask my husband to just let better players go around us. It's only polite to do so. Well we'd no sooner gotten up to the first tee and gotten started than a father/son group showed up behind us. Here's my rant - simple golf etiquette dictates that you do not - ever! - tee off until the group in front of you is on the green. So what does this guy do? He cracks off a tee shot that probably sailed 200 yards when Bill and I were not even halfway up the green. So we let them go and then got ready to play through. Well I can't play when I'm rushed. I make stupid mistakes and just can't play. So by that point I just decided to not play through the hole, give myself an 8 and move on. Then another family was playing behind the group we let go ahead of us. We decided to let them play through too because they were already up on the green at 1 before we teed off at 2 -- the buttmunch had the gall to say to me as he passed us "It's one thing to play poorly. It's another to play slowly." I was furious! Seriously, I was sitting there in tears, ready to go back to the car and let my husband play. Now, we let two other men go ahead of us who were playing by themselves, but that's simple golf etiquette. A group always yields to a solo player, so I wasn't upset about that. I was incensed by the rude ass players who had the gall to treat me like I sucked so bad I had no business being on the course.

Once we finally got going I didn't do that poorly (actually with my fairway wood, I was doing better than I though I would on the long shots) and it only took an hour and a half to play nine holes, so I don't know what their problems were. I can't quote USGA rules chapter and verse but I do know it's rude to talk when someone is teeing off and it's rude to tee off before someone is on the green, no matter how long it takes.

The funny thing is that when we were leaving, the guy who made the rude comment was just starting his second round of nine - being snotty to me didn't get him down the course any faster. I had to laugh at that.

I even made par on the last whole - ok so it was a par 3 127 yard shot off the red tee and I used my three wood to make it on the green in one. I'm still not a sucky golfer.

And I didn't kill the turtle I found wandering across the eighth fairway! That's got to count for something! :D
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 pm

Two comments:

1. Another set of reasons why I do not attend church.

2. The next time a golfer makes a comment like that to you. You look them in the eye and say, "Didn't your mommy ever tell you not to pester the adults?"

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 pm

LOL Jt. He was acting awfully childish, wasn't he?

And yes, my husband and I have had more than one conversation on why we dislike organized religion sometimes. I can really see why people choose to be agnostic or the like.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:04 am

Well after a fabulous week at Myrtle Beach last week in a condo I could never afford in my wildest dreams (the Mar Vista Grande) I have come crashing back to the reality that is my everyday life.

I went with my parents, hubby, grandfather, niece and newphew, and the trip was wonderful. I wish I hadn't caught my husband's cold (from Memorial Day) on the third day of our trip, but that was the only stumbling block. Otherwise it was great.

My obsessive need to carry pens and paper with me at all times came in quite handy with the kids - when we went out to dinner, it kept them quiet and out of trouble. Of course, now I need new pens, but that's another story;) I did learn a valuable lesson though - any child will be well behaved if he or she can scribble "roller coasters" on paper.

My nephew is obsessed with pirates so my husband and I buried some toy gold on the beach and it was a huge hit with Andrew. Let's just say my hubby forgetting where he buried only added to the excitement. :-D

Of course, by last Friday, the children were getting sad that the trip was almost over, and so was I in a way. But it's like I told my hubby, I get more sad at the thought of the trip being over than at the thought of going home. I love where we are in our lives and just because we don't live close to my family doesn't make me miserable or anything. I like the little space I've made for myself here and it was good to get home.

We went to Charleston and toured the USS Yorktown before we left. The flights back were smooth but we had to circle the airport in Charlotte because of a ground stop due to a thunderstorm and in Hartford due to traffic backups. We actually flew past a rather nasty looking thunderhead en route to Charlotte and all I could think of was "well, here we go" - I was surprised at how smooth it was though. Guess the pilots were good :)

We didn't get back until midnight Sunday morning so we just skipped church and went to see The Happening instead. I liked the movie, even though the evacuation of NY would never have happened that smoothly. I guess it felt more Hitchcock-ian than anything else - I wouldn't have exactly classified it as a horror movie. It was more of a suspense/thriller to me. And an interesting premise. I don't understand why Shyamalan is panned so badly. Most of his films are pretty decent, if not Academy Award winning material. I guess I like him because he thinks outside the box and is original. Even if trees and plants poisoning people and causing them to kill themselves is Al Gore's idea of utopia.

The only other news is that I got my football conference champion pendant this week. Basically when the coaches get rings the wives usually get something too, a ring or pendant. Well since I'm not a coaches wife, I didn't get one at the banquet. Neither did the trainer or equipment manager's wife (technically our husbands are "Staff" not coaches). This distinction pisses me off to no end :evil: :evil: but technically I guess it's true. In 2006 when we were national finalists, since my hubby's the videographer, he bought me a ring for my anniversary. Well this year the head coach said he'd get it for me. And it's so cool!! Basically it's the top of the men's ring, a football shaped maroon stone with 16 cubic zarconias in a football shape around it, set in a silver square that says CAA Champions on one side and Elite 8 on the other (how far we made it in the playoffs). Woohoo! What girl doesn't love bling, especially when it's big and shiny!!
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm

His first movie was great and every one after that was pretty miserable.

Sorry, I was trying NOT to say SUCKED. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:52 am

I dont know - sometimes I think the stories are unique, and then poorly executed in the movies. I think if he just stuck to writing movies and let other more established directors create the movies, they might do better. I do think you have to give MKS credit for being creative. That's more than I can say for the rest of Hollywood.

That being said, I liked Get Smart. I've seen the original t.v. show, and I thought the movie was a good update of the previous incarnation. And no, Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell as a couple didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would before I saw the movie. And Alan Arkin redeemed himself from that godawful character he played in Little Miss Sunshine, so that was good. Were there a few silly parts the movie could have done without? Of course, but it's Mel Brooks. All his movies are like that to some extent.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 am

I dont know - sometimes I think the stories are unique, and then poorly executed in the movies. I think if he just stuck to writing movies and let other more established directors create the movies, they might do better. I do think you have to give MKS credit for being creative. That's more than I can say for the rest of Hollywood. Even if the execution of the idea gets screwed up somewhat.

That being said, I liked Get Smart. I've seen the original t.v. show, and I thought the movie was a good update of the previous incarnation. And no, Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell as a couple didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would before I saw the movie. And Alan Arkin redeemed himself from that godawful character he played in Little Miss Sunshine, so that was good. Were there a few silly parts the movie could have done without? Of course, but it's Mel Brooks. All his movies are like that to some extent. And I adore Robin Hood: Men In Tights, and Dracula Dead and Loving It (probably because I hate the movies they skewer) so what can I say? The only bad Mel Brooks film I've ever seen is LIfe Stinks, and that's because he was trying to be serious.
Richard Howardson
Master Tripper

can we be frnds?

Postby Richard Howardson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 pm

hey liz, i liked ur blogs.

just thinking if we could be frnds. so, wht u say?
We think we have learned how to care for someone if we know what makes them smile....but if we really care for someone, we should know what makes them cry!
©2008 Richard Howardson
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm glad you like my blogs...sometimes I worry that they're not interesting enough, but hey, it's my life, lumps and all. It would be great to have you as a friend. And btw, welcome to the list! I've been a little behind on greeting new members lately....real life and all that tends to get in the way. If you're a member of the poetry group, pop in and let me know what you think of my writing. If not, just ask Charles to sign you up and then you can take a look. I just entered my poetry in a chapbook contest, which I won't know the results of until late September, so wish me luck.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 am

Well I must say this past weekend is one of the coolest I've ever experienced. On Saturday my hubby and I drove to Newport Rhode Island to attend the Rhode Island Air National Guard Open House and Air Show. We left Saturday morning and got there around 12:30. As we were pulling in to park, a Stealth bomber flew over and I was already excited. Once we got situated and our earplugs in place, we grabbed pizza and bottled water and settled in to watch the show. There were several stunt pilots there (including a woman!) who did things that just floored me -it seemed to me like they were pushing themselves and their planes right to the edge of insanity (really, if making a plane fall to earth nose over tail from three miles up isn't insane, I don't know what is). Sean Tucker flew a stunt plane for Team Oracle and at the end of his show, he had his team go out on the runway with ribbons between three sets of poles - he flew 18 feet above the ground and cut the ribbons, and cut the third one upside down. How's that for a complete lack of fear? It still blows my mind to think of it.

Julie Clark flew an inspirational show to God Bless The USA complete with red, white and blue smoke and fireworks. I'm always proud to see women have success in a "man's" line of work. She is a retired Northwest pilot and I think I remember hearing them say she is qualified on 66 different types of planes, although I could have remembered that wrong.

The real fun came in between the stunt pilots though. The first military demonstration was the F-15 Eagle. With our earplugs firmly in place, I still cringed at the noise. Of course, they had to demonstrate how fast it could take off, and every time the pilot came around and buzzed the flightline, he kicked in his afterburners. I could literally feel the vibrations of the noise, it was that intense. The next plane was the Harrier, which of course had to show off it's vertical takeoff/landing abilities. I guess the thing that impressed me the most about the Harrier is that I've never seen a plane back up in mid-flight. After that was a C130 demonstration --- I still cannot believe that those things can make it off the ground, especially when fully loaded. The mere size of them ought to make it impossible. When that plane landed, an F-18 Hornet took off, and that was the single most insane thing I've ever witnessed. By the time you heard the plane you couldn't see it anymore, it was moving that fast. The afternoon ended with a combined arms demonstration where a Blackhawk squadron secured the airfield, evacuated injured personnel and generally just blew stuff up. The finale was the performance by the Royal Air Force Red Arrows - they're like our Airforce Thunderbirds. At first they were doing nice gentle acrobatic stuff, but then they started doing crazy things like flying at each other and peeling off at the last moment. It was amazing.

On Sunday we went back and took a look at all the planes and choppers that were on display - there was everything from a Soviet-era MiG to Huey Cobras (my favorite of the choppers- lotsa guns and weapons!), AWACS planes (my favorite military plane), a C130, a Tomcat (which my husband climbed into) and an Intruder (which I climbed into), among others.

All in all a very cool weekend, and one that made me feel very patriotic.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 am

Well, July is finally here and has started off well. On the 3rd Bill and I had our in vitro class - it took an hour and a half at the hospital and basically just went into more detail on what we already know. It's mandatory though, so what can you do? I think in a way I feel better about it now, although I can still get overwhelmed by the whole process if I think about it too much. The next step will be about actually starting a cycle by taking the class on the injection protocols. I'm really stressed about having to give myself injections, but hey, if I became a diabetic tomorrow I'd have to do it, so I'm just going to pray a lot and hope it's not as bad as it seems. I don't know that Bill and I will start this process until late fall though, since football takes up so much of our lives, and I want him to be a part of this too. After all, he is my husband, and not just a sperm donor. I want him to be able to be there for it all. Honestly, though, if I were a single woman who wanted a child, there's no way in hell I'd put myself through this. I'd just adopt.

So on the 4th we went to see the movie Wanted -- let me just say that it was two hours of my life I'll never get back. When I found out it was based on a comic book I wasn't surprised. Let's just say that I wonder how the hell the director convinced two Oscar winners to lower themselves to be in that film. And just why do all action films now have to do the Matrix-y slow motion thing? A head being blown off can look just as gross in real time.

Ick.

And I'm sorry, but if I want to see sexy Scottish actors, I'll watch Sean Connery, David Tennant and David McCallum. James McAvoy does absolutely jack sqat for me.

So I made up for it by watching Elizabeth -The Golden Age and Sweeny Todd yesterday. Both good films, although I didn't realize just how Shakesperean Sweeny Todd is. The ending reminds me of Hamlet.

So far it's a quiet day. I have to have my hubby's car towed to the Saturn dealer to get the ignition fixed - somehow it jammed and the key won't turn. At all. At least it's under warranty, and the tow won't cost anything because it's through Saturn. It's just I feel gipped because I was going to drive it this week while he's out of town. :cry:
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Got the hubby's car towed last night. It was wierd because I got to thinking 'how in the hell can it be put on the back of a tow truck if it can't be put into gear' but the guy managed. He basically dragged it onto the truck - all the while I was cringing that the $1000 worth of body work we just put into it was going the way of the dodo, but he did well.

Grrrrr.......slow work days when hubby is at the beach are SO unmotivating it isn't even true.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 am

Hope all goes well for your prcedure, and I'll refrain from asking stupidly, funny questions. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Hey you can ask. I could actually use some humor in regards to this. It's quite a scary process. I could use a laugh.

Return to “Personal Blogs”