LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

LizGrayson
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

LizGraysons Ramblin' Thoughts

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Just thought I'd start a blog so I can have conversations with my friends here on something other than writing.

At the moment, not a whole lot is going on with my life. I stayed up late last night to watch the Duke-UNC game, and being the Dukie that I am, I'm excited to say that Duke won 89-78 and are now 20-1, and number 2 in the nation behind my husband's former employers, the University of Memphis Tigers. \:D/ :clap: :thumbsup: :congrats: :yimhug:

A random thunderstorm (random considering it's February in New England!) blew threw around midnight and woke me up so I'm going on very little sleep, but a happy basketball fan am I.

Bought books for the sweet little niece and nephew for Valentine's Day. I love giving them books almost as much as I love getting themas gifts myself - I think of it as an investment in their future.

Think tonight I'm going to catch up on some writing, as hubby is taking over the t.v. to watch Survivor! :evil: (The show's evil, not my hubby!)

Ho hum, I think this blog is going to bore people to tears :roll: :oops: I hope not!

LG
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 pm

So you're another one of those sports wackos??? :? :D
"There is no intergalactic plot to keep you from being published."

"So stop whining and get on with it."
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Well it depends on how you define "sports wacko"! LOL! :D As in "my heart bleeds my team colors, I must support my team, jersey wearing, screaming until I lose my voice, driving all over creation to watch my team, sitting out in hurricanes and blizzards to watch football when I could watch it at home,swearing, never say die" sports wacko?

I might sorta be one...

8)
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 pm

That's what I kinda thought. :-D

Personally, I prefer 43-Man Squamish.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 am

I agree on Survivor. I can't decide why I want the writer's strike to end more. Because it will mean better compensation for writers in the future (and maybe I'll be one) OR because it might loosen the evil death grip that "reality" tv has on my wife and eldest son (I actually find Survivor to occasionally be less insipid than most of the genre, but that's like being the least smelly pig farmer... not much to brag about).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:13 am

LOL Charles, I'm with you on that one. I don't watch much network t.v. anyway, really. My favorite channels are History Channel, History International, Discovery Channel, BBC America and Food Network, and occasionally DIY Network (for their craft shows, since I'm in an apartment and can't futz around with things even if I wanted to!) I HATE reality television in all its forms -I honestly can't believe there are people out there who think reality t.v. is real. And I can't stand the idea that nice guys finish last and the only way to get ahead in life is to be an a$$hole. That may be the way life is, but I have enough reality in my own life. I don't need to watch t.v. for that. Now, darling hubby is a "people watcher" by nature, so the interplay and dynamics of it all are what he enjoys but yeesh.....

At least Survivor is only one night a week, not like that godawful Big Brother that takes over the t.v three nights a week.

Some of my favorite t.v. shows are:

Doctor Who
Torchwood
Intervention
Dirty Jobs
City Confidential
Iron Chef America
Megadisasters (guilty pleasure, that one)
Modern Marvels (especially the Engineering Disasters segments - another guilty pleasure!)

Recently History Channel had a show on called Life After People - the premise was that they were extrapolating on life 100+ years after humanity is gone, based on what Chernobyl is like 20 years after the fact. It was rather frightening to think of how everything will revert back to nature and eventually there will be no evidence that humans were here. The saddest part to me was that books and written materials will only survive maybe 75 years at the most -so all the journals I've kept my whole life and all my poetry and writing will eventually crumble. Talk about feeling small and humble! :shock:
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 am

Hey, the writer's strike has allowed me to get caught up on a lot of the stuff I taped LAST season.

And I LOVE Torchwood, Liz!
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:44 am

Woohoo! Another Torchwood fan! That makes two of us now! :D
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie
Location: *Ohh*Why do you wanna know* -Gasp- * Are you a stalker?

Postby *Elle* » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi LizGrayson,

I like the Dirty Jobs show too and believe it or not I do like cooking shows even though I'm only 14 yrs old. I think that you are never to young to learn to cook.

Have a good weekend,

Elle
R.I.P. Mikey, Brandy and Chris
Dream as if you have forever. Live as if you only have today.--James Dean
A life without cause is a life without effect--Barbella
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:16 pm

Isn't Mike Rowe rather good looking? Lots of muscles and gorgeous blue eyes? \:D/ And he sings opera! And isn't afraid to get dirty! My kind of man :-D He'd be an excellent dad - wouldn't have any problems handling poopy diapers and kids with stomach flu!

You're never too young to cook! Some of my fondest memories of my childhood were sitting on our barstool helping my mom bake cakes and cookies at Christmas time. I still love to cook, but don't get to do much of it, especially during football season since hubby's never home at dinner time.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Let's see, love Dr. Who. Have all of Tom Baker's episodes on video tape.

Hate all reality TV shows. Will watch a few on TLC, but none on commercial TV.

Don't have BBC America so haven't seen Torchwood. Did you know that if you reaarange the letters in Torchwood, they spell Doctor Who???

Don't watch any sports, except for the afore-mentioned 43-Man Squamish. :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:45 am

Well this weekend was a nice quiet one for me and my hubby. We went to see Fool's Gold, which was actually better than I thought it would be, given the bad reviews. What's wrong with a cute little piece of fluff movie every once in a while? Why does everything have to be socially redeeming in order to get a good review? I guarantee you if I watched There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men I wouldn't like those films. In fact, the last Oscar winner I actually really liked was Million Dollar Baby, and even that got a little heavy handed with the euthanasia preachiness.

Ah, enough of that rant. Hubby and I are off to the OB/GYN this afternoon to talk to her about IVF. Given that it's our only option for having a child of our own, we've finally calmed down enough about it to talk rationally with someone about all the details. We'll still have to take a class through the hospital, but we've just really needed to talk to someone in layman's terms about it, and we trust the infertility coordinator at our doctor's office, so I think we'll feel better about it by this evening. I'm still scared to death by it all, but hey, it is what it is. Wishing it wasn't so won't make it go away.....

Can't wait for the weekend. Hubby and I have a date with a hot tub and a couples massage at a spa in Northampton Saturday night, which means we'll probably both be in comas until sometime late Sunday morning. I've done the hot tub thing before and the massage thing before, but never both at the same time. I think we'll have to take turns driving home :-D

So that's my crazy life in a nutshell. Nephew is recovering from the stomach flu - kind of glad I wasn't there to witness that. I remember the first time he had it, when he was about 18 months old, his dad told me that he thought children only threw up like that in the movies. Ah, the joys of parenthood :shock:

Talk to you soon
LG
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Parenting is one big bodily fluid-fest... and none of them the fun ones you recall from when it was just you and the wife/hubby/girlfriend/boyfriend/fill-in-the-blank.

FYI: I'm in the Who fan camp as well, loved Tom Baker as a kid and then loved Eccleston's run. Haven't been able to watch much TV lately (lately = last year and a half) though, so I've only caught snippets here and there of Tennet's Who and only seen one episode of Torchwood (which I enjoyed).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 pm

LOL CP, isn't that true? I had it explained to me once that when you become a parent your level of gross totally changes. I think that's true of becoming an aunt too. Somehow I always manage to get diaper duty when I'm home. But it's good practice, right?

I became a fan of Dr. Who during the Eccelston era but the ones with David Tennant are just as good I think, although when I read fanfic I could do without all the drooly/Rose/tenth Doctor fanfic. Torchwood is awesome - kind of like a cross between XFiles and Dr. Who. I think the season one finale stumbled a bit, but this season's off to a less angsty start, so I'm enjoying it.
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Good luck tonight!LizGrayson, Let us know how it goes. :D

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be.
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Liz, you are aware that Torchwood is a spin-off of Dr. Who?

Started watching Dr. Who with John Pertwee. Guess that gives my age away.

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 am

Yes, I am. I saw all the Dr. Who episodes that Captain Jack was in.

I think they're bringing in Martha Jones this year too, at least until she returns to Dr. Who.

Hey, John Pertwee was the third doctor, right? You're not THAT old :D
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am

Yes, I am..... :D

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:00 am

Well you could have been a William Hartnell fan! That puts it into perspective doesn't it? :D
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:53 am

I must rant about the morning commute, even though I'm sure that the afternoon one will be worse!

This morning my darling hubby and I got up about 20 minutes earlier than usual because of the winter storm warning that was in effect from about 5:00 yesterday afternoon through today. Thought that would be sufficient to be able to get out the door and get to work relatively on time!

Was it? OF COURSE NOT!

It took my poor hubby about 15 minutes to dig my car out in pouring rain/snow/sleet/whatever. Then when I went to leave, I got stuck and it took another 10 minutes or so to dig my tires out (did I mention that I have a front-wheel drive car that was plowed into my space by our lovely maintenance men? :x ). Hubby looked like a drowned rat and only had time to change his pants before he had to leave. Technically the university didn't open until 11:00 but since he's employed by the athletic department and not as a professor, the delayed opening didn't mean squat for him. He had to be at work by 10:00 for a conference call relating to video networks so he had to leave when I did.

It took him almost 30 minutes to get to work.

We live 15 minutes from the campus! :shock:

Anyway, I take the interstate to work, since the back way takes about 45 minutes and I91 only takes about 25. Now, I've been on the road in some pretty nasty weather in the eight years we've lived here, but I have NEVER seen it as bad as it was today. Snow is completely different than the ice we got all night. Plus, it's pouring rain/sleet, and the ground is already saturated from the three feet plus of snow we've had since last November. Needless to say, the speed limit on the Mass Pike was reduced to 45 and on I91 where I was, I couldn't drive over 40. The sand trucks were doing their best, and the plows were out in full force but you can't really plow ice. I nearly skidded off the road from hitting an icy patch - it was so bizarre. Even as slow as I was going, my back tires hit the ice and I could feel my whole car start pulling toward the side of the road. I had the presence of mind to at least remember to take my foot off the gas and steer in the direction of the skid, but yeesh! I could literally feel my car going back first toward the ditch. First time that's ever happened...

So I recovered from that and a little further down the road, I hit a huge puddle I couldn't see and it felt like the road disappeared. I guess I must have hydroplaned.

I got to work 30 minutes late, but at least I wasn't the only one.

Living 30 minutes south of Vermont is nice in the summer but it flat out SUCKS in the winter. And I live further north than anyone else at work, so I'm usually the one the most affected by the weather.

WINTER SUCKS!!!!! :x :evil: :shock:
jt752
Master Tripper

Postby jt752 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Evidently you missed the hints left by GOD to stay home? :D

(The main thing is you made it there safely.)

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:56 pm

LOL yeah, somehow the thought of having to build an ark to get home didn't register in the old noggin! Did I mention I'm not a morning person? :D
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:58 pm

WOOHOO I just realized I have passed the 100 post mark!

:-D \:D/ :clap:

It's really rather pathetic what it takes to make me happy....... :oops:
*Elle*
Wordtrip Junkie

Postby *Elle* » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Hey,

I live in PA and we got that same storm and it SUCKED. I've been off school for the past two days which is kinda cool but can't go anywhere. Just get us dug out and then it snows again. :cry: :cry: :cry: What can you do??? Hopefully school will be open tommorow to see all my friends and such. Maybe, Maybe learn something. NOT!

Hope it gets better for you LizGrayson,

Talk to you soon,
Elle

P.S. What's worse is that my poetry notebook is in school or else I could have been showing you all some of my latest work! :)

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Oh I meant to post earlier in the week (was it Wednesday?) that my beloved Duke Blue Devils beat Maryland by 12 77-65 to remain number two in the country. All we have to really do is get past Georgia Tech and Wake Forest - they're the last two really tough teams on our schedule. If we can pull out this season it'll be the best we've had in years.

Return to “Personal Blogs”