New design, New Blog... D'oh Boy

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 am

I will see both movies... although not necessarily at the theatre'. :)

Went to see Iron Man a couple weeks back, though!

You may want to change your "where" to "were" since it was "were" you meant. :wink:
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat May 24, 2008 6:06 pm

where were you seeing the where instead of were?

My proposed new slogans for the GA Renaissance Festival (I twittered them while I was there and cooling off in the shade).

ga ren fest: where corsets come in lace and camo

ga ren fest where you can meet SIR alexander de la bubba

ren fest where you can buy authentic food like cones of cookies and chocolate dipped frozen bananas

ren fest where real fairies call home... from their iphones

ren fest where 21st century gluttony overflows 15th century fashion... *shudder*

ga ren fest where authentic southern accents are exchanged for bad british ones

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
"Coffee is sufficiently advanced technology" - Merlin Mann
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Just watched the Challenger footage on When We Left the Earth: The NASA Missions on Discovery Channel... I'm sure I saw it again when Columbia broke up, but this time it took me back to early '86, being 10 years old, and stopping school for the day, and just watching that horrific footage over and over and over again. It wasn't 9/11 sort of "we're not invincible", but at 10, when you still kind of want to be an astronaut it was something like that... the heroes can be hurt. Amazed at how choked up watching that footage made me.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee." - Wally (Dilbert)
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

You were 10??

I was in COLLEGE ...
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

see Mudge, the thing is, you're old... but you just ACT like you're young... I'm not actually that old, but I feel it and occasionally act it. You're tons of fun, and I'm no fun at all.

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

wow... I guess living in my glass blog I shouldn't toss stones at Tina about her infrequent updates around here. Today we did a birthday party shared for my big kid and I. Today is Hobbit day, and as he turned 11 this year (Bilbo turns 111), and I'm turning 33 this year (like Frodo), we had a "hobbit"-esque birthday party with no gifts brought, but a few sent away (including some Havarti cheese, and home-made Baklava... plus extra cake). We did the family traditional layer per year thing (but for Jake's years, not mine). Being in theme we did a Minas Tirith cake... pictures are over at Flickr.

http://flickr.com/photos/bfedrec/2880586510/
http://flickr.com/photos/bfedrec/2879748807

charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Today started with me waking up with a tweaked oblique muscle (left side/back/sorta). Then I went downstairs to check out the leak in Jake's(11) bedroom, which was dripping from his air vent, which is right below our bathroom. While I was doing that Sam (5) let the dog outside for her morning trip to the backyard, when the alarm wasn't turned off, while the alarm was going off it freaked out Sam (who has been unofficially diagnosed as Asperger's), who closed the dog's back foot/claw in the door. Once the alarm was off I got the dog out of the door and she hobbled around the back yard while the alarm company was calling. I went upstairs and discovered that the leak in Jake's room was from the dog peeing in a corner (she's diabetic and her insulin shot went awry last night) and it leaking down through the floor into Jake's room. We got that all cleaned up and the dog seems to be not badly damaged.

After this hullabaloo Sam had to have a breathing treatment because he's been sick with a cold and coughing for a few days and it was getting pretty bad. Today is Grace's (3) Dora party, and I had a Dora cake pan to make the top layer of her cake. The pan didn't work at all the way it was supposed to and I had to cut off Dora's head, flip it over, and draw the face on it. Well, the drawing on it was interrupted by Sam going to the bathroom and yelling to me "DAD! There's red coming out of my penis!" which prompted me to rush and see that in fact there was blood in his urine and I promptly got him dressed and in the car to take to the after hours clinic. I called Alicia (wife) who was at a fundraising thing for her breast cancer walk, and she met me at the doc's while Grandma stayed home with Jake and Grace.

A couple hours later at the docs we find out that he doesn't definitively have a UTI, and may have something horribly scary sounding that might be something wrong with his kidneys (UTI markers didn't trigger in the sample, he had blood/proteins/urine crystals in there though). He seems to be feeling better now but we get to take him to his doc and a nephrologist for the kidney concerns.

After all that we DID have the Dora party. Which went off with only a few dozen hitches (no drinks, almost didn't get a table at the park to have the party, forgot eating utensils... fun times). We're home, kids are in the tub... and I need a drink (cept I don't drink... I might start though).

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm

omg...you need coffee my dear....coffee is my drug of choice! And I thought my days were stressful..... :roll:
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 pm

FWIW, I changed the avatar (think I creeped out xcheck enough).

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 pm

Ha.You didn't creep me out that much.
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Post above - yikes. Hope Sam is okay...
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Wow, I left that hanging (talked to a lot of people in chat and PM and such about it). We had a month (plus) of tests and more tests relating to kidney issues and eliminated many things, but a couple days before they were going to admit him to the hospital because he'd been running a fever for a month to go along with the blood in the urine and all that jazz... it all cleared up. No diagnosis, and once symptoms stopped they couldn't really track it and we had to let it go (they had done ultra-sounds and such and ruled out things that involved tumors).

Which brings us to today, in which I stayed home from work and Sam had a fever for the 2nd day and we went to the doc. Diagnosis for the day was just the cold, but we had them do a urine test to catch it early if this was anything coming back. They found proteins in the urine, but at a level that wouldn't otherwise be concerning except for his history... so that's off for a culture "just to be safe". Don't expect anything bad to come back on it, just get to be vigilant parents and keep an eye on him without freaking out about the possibilities.

oh, and that's the little one in the avatar with me. She's 3... she's trouble:

Hissmonster
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Hissmonster » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

know all about mystery illnesses my dear. But, at least it has cleared on its own. Good work at staying vigilant though.

Grace may be trouble, but she's too darn cute!
"Come to the dark side; we have coffee!"
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:37 am

Yes she is... her brother's aren't bad either.

Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

SO cute, Charlie... glad everything is cool in the household :-)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
charlesp
Site Admin

Postby charlesp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:08 pm

holy cow it's been almost three years since I updated this... Still at the same job, still have the same three kids, still have the same wife... I just got home from Grace's first Father/Daughter Dance with her Girl Scouts (though admittedly there was very little dancing happening over here in the Father-land).

I've obviously posted more elsewhere. If anybody wants to keep up with me I update twitter fairly regularly (under the following IDs: cpillsbury & skeptipuppets, plus occasionally as wordtrip, puppetdeath, and puppetaweek... yes, lots of puppetry projects going on). I also us Google+ (instead of facebook, just to be obnoxious). I do update charlespillsbury.com still at times, though probably not as much as twitter and tumblr (which, in addition to: http://cpillsbury.tumblr.com/ I have the related puppetry ones at puppetaweek.com deathbypuppets.com and skeptipuppets.com as well).

Return to “Personal Blogs”