I THINK I'LL START A BLOG

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

Postby mae » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:41 pm

I'll shut-up and just tell you rent "The Dead Poet Society". I want to be that teacher.

I have seen that movie many times - and I do, too.

I see you got the same thing from that question that I did. A great big huh? Don't you get it?

ps. It seems to me Mae that my poem was about this every subject. Odd that.

That's why I said it reminded me of this event and wanted you to read my blog.

Your answer was so much more eloquent than mine. If I had the nerve and if it sounded anything like me (which it doesn't. It sounds like you!) I'd steal it and give that as my answer. This man was the only one who didn't comment on how hard it would be to write as I do. There is another teacher, a woman who teaches fourth grade and writes novels, that said reading my poem and trying to critique it made her go back and look at her own writing. I was able to say so much in 8 syllables that it made her think differently about how she wrote. That comment meant a lot to me. There were others who counted every line for its syllable count and that's about all and another who checked on whether or not my language was too modern. It was clear that they were out of their depth in trying to critique an epic poem, but at least they didn't say there was no benefit or value in it.

I feel very sad for this man's students. I feel sad for him. He is restricting for himself and them from a whole range of experiences to be found in poetry that just isn't found in prose. And I agree with you - all writing, all literature is worth reading, but when was the last time you read a novel and came away with a "Wow!" I often do when I read poetry. That's how I felt the very first time I read "How Do I Love Thee?" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning - and it's still the way I feel when I read that poem. That just doesn't happen with a novel or even a short story.

Poor guy.

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:23 am

To explore
hidden yearnings,
always near in thought yet
never
known;
faces
unseen in lives
laden and
longing for expression.
Young friendships aging gracefully.

THANKFULLY, such friendships are mine.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends.

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Wow. That was a cool poem. Did I write that?

Oh, what a fantastic - and frustrating - week I've had! 10 days or so ago, we moved. Lock, stock and the barrel has yet to be moved, but it's coming. We moved on a Saturday and in between directing my guys where to put stuff, I was coughing and blowing my nose - truly a pleasure to be around! The next day, I was down, flat, with chills and fever and cough, cough, cough. I was SO-O-O sick! The fever only lasted for a day, but the nose-blowing and coughing went on and on - and on.

But even so - I was surprised at my Bible Study the following Thursday when one of my friends held up a local magazine - color and slick paper and all - with an article about ME with my picture in glorious living color! I didn't think the article was coming out for another two months. After Bible Study, I drove into the city and to the newspaper office (where the magazine is published) and picked up about 10 copies.

Then, after I got home in the afternoon, I got a telephone call from a reporter from our local weekly newspaper wanting to do an article on me. He'd gotten a notice from my publisher about a book signing I had scheduled for this week-end. So, I gave him an interview over the phone. The article came out today. It's a 1/4 page article with a full 5 x 7 photo of - again - ME!

Right after I talked to him on Thursday, I received a call from our local Barnes and Noble where the book signing is supposed to be. The Community Relations Coordinator there is brand new. She's only been there a couple of weeks and she was excited about my book and my signing. She's put posters up around town, sent a press release to the city newspaper and talked with me about how we're going to set it up. She wanted me to dress "in character", sort of Celtic-like. So, I've made a skirt and shawl that look very Celtic, but not cartoonish. I've got a quill pen with blue ink (it's a dip pen) and she wondered if I could find a banner of some sort with celtic designs on it. So, I'm making a celtic knot border with illuminated letters C and Q on it. When I stopped by today to pick up my pen, the clerk said they were all very excited about my signing on Saturday. They'd just been talking about it!

And in the middle of all this lovely stuff, I've still be coughing and blowing my nose. I finally went to the doctor. I've had a nasty sinus infection with a cough. I'm now taking antibiotics and ghastly-tasting cough syrup. Plus, I've been without a computer. (If ever the telephone company had to mess up, this was NOT the week to do it. But we're fixed now!)

I am so incredibly excited! Just thought I'd share my fun! Now, I've got to go paint a banner!

mae

Nephtalius
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Nephtalius » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:01 am

That's great, Mae! Hope you're in excellent health for your book signing.
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle. -- Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic strip.
LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 am

Woohoo! Way to go Mae!

As one who has had probably a bazillion sinus infections in her lifetime, I can feel your pain and hope you feel better soon.

LG
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:09 am

Okay, so the book signng was last Saturday afternoon. It was a beautiful day, and the people at Barnes and Noble were just fabulous. I was so scared that nobody would come. But they did. Not everybody bought a book, of course, but a lot did. At least the coordinator was happy with their sales - so if she's happy, then I'm just thrilled.

One interesting lady invited me to join her writing group; a very young woman (14 or so) talked to me about the novel she's been writing - her friend bought a book; and a whole gaggle of my friends showed up bringing me roses and hugs. Most of them bought a book, even though several of them already had signed copies. "I just want to support you" was their comment. Now THAT'S the kind of friends to have! They all talk about how "famous" I've become. I simply warn them that my 15 minutes is almost up!

It was just a great day - and I felt wonderful!

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Well, the last kid is finally married off. We went down to Santa Barbara, CA (the most unnecessarily expensive city in the world) for our eldest son's wedding. It was beautiful there, the wedding was beautiful, the bride was beautiful, the groom was, of course, incredibly handsome (he looks just like me!) and everything went off beautifully. One very special little thing for me that I'll tell you about - when I actually talk about it, I always cry!

Go back in time with me. When my son, Wayne, was in the 8th grade, we lived in a house with a very long driveway. One evening I went out to get him and my husband for dinner. Wayne put his arm around my shoulders, and as we walked back up that driveway, he sang "You Are So Beautiful To Me" - the old Meatloaf song, all the way back to the house. That's a little memory I've tucked away in my heart.

Zoom forward. At the reception, there was dancing and they had the bride and groom dance, then the bride and her father danced, and then the DJ announced that they were going to play a special song for Wayne and his mother to dance to. I had just put my shoes back on, thankfully! I knew nothing about this, but I stood as Wayne came over to me and walked me out onto the dance floor. The music started and - yep, you guessed it - the song was You Are So Beautiful To Me. He looked at me and asked me if I remembered - and I was afraid I was going to actually sob. Sniff, sniff! As one couple was leaving later, an older couple from my son's church, the man leaned over to me and said that if there was one thing he'd learned that night about Wayne, it was that he loved his new wife and he loved his mother.

So now I have another sweet memory to tuck beside the first one.

Sniff.

mae

LizGrayson

Postby LizGrayson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Awwwwww Mae that's so sweet!
Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star and they give you them for free! ~ Billy Mack (aka the lovely Bill Nighy), Love Actually
pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:13 am

Great, now I'm tearing up at work. I hope nobody comes by for awhile.
Is this my reality or yours?
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi, folks! I was reading back over the pages of my blog and read about my grandsons' vist last summer. Well, guess what! They're here again, right now, a year older and a whole lot crazier. The older one is only about an inch shorter than I but wears shoes 2 1/2 sizes larger than mine. The younger one has a few teeth missing and several others growing in at various stages. He has the goofiest looking grin - and he's always grinning.

They never shut up! Sam, the older boy, is in the Oregon Boys' Choir and he's always singing. He has a beautiful voice, but still... He's also his younger brother's best audience. Yesterday, Drew, the younger one, had Sam laughing so hard he couldn't catch his breath.

This has been a summer of grandchildren. In June, our Swedish twins came to visit (did I tell you all that somewhere else?). We had not seen them for over five years - and they're only 10! Our visit was painfully short - 2 1/2 days - but it was wonderful. They spent the rest of their U.S. vacation visiting their dad, our son, who is estranged from us. He also had not seen them for 5 years, so we weren't going to stand in the way of his seeing them as much as possible.

Then we've had the grands close to us stay over a couple of times through the summer and now these two. These guys are with us just about a week and we've had such fun. We've been to a Bull-a-rama, golfing, shared them with their other Grandma who lives nearby, done two crafts, taken them garage-saleing and today we're taking them to an arcade and then swimming.

They both attend a Spanish-immersion school and have been speaking Spanish to me all week, especially today. Sam rattles it off and I just get lost. At least I can hold my own with Drew - but then he's just going into 2nd grade!

This has been a great summer, but really, there's a reason God gave children to young women! Thank heaven my role is different. Mamas have to teach them not to eat with food in their mouths and to say please and thank you. Our role? Well, this summer we gave the baby his first root beer float and took the close-by kids to the beach where we let them wear their shoes into the water. They were sandals after all. We cooked marshmallows and let the 2 year old hold his own stick. We had buckets and squirt guns for everybody and made sure they all got the color they liked. They all remembered to say thank you (good job, Moms!)

Another time we had a set of grandkids overnight and the day they were being picked up was their mama's birthday, our daughter-in-law. So, we all blew up balloons and tied them to the railings on the porch to greet her when she came to get the kids. She wouldn't let them take any balloons home because the baby has just started crawling and could get at them and pop them. Then they become a choking hazard. Our darling granddaughter was crushed because she'd helped blow them up. So I promised to always have balloons here for her.

And we've discovered that we have a Lost Boys tree in our front yard. We moved here last February so hadn't been out a lot to see what's here. We have a giant old maple tree in our front yard and it's hollow inside. Right now it's full of cobwebs, but I'm going to clean it out. I've told the neighbor kids that it's the entrance to Never never land where Peter Pan lives and I think at least one of the little ones believes me! My granddaughter loves the adventure. I think she'd like to be Tinkerbelle!

I just love being a grandma.

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Hey, guys. I've started a new class - and I think I've found a creative endeavor that I will never - that's right, NEVER - be good at! It's a pottery class using a potter's wheel. In the first three hour class I made three t-i-i-iny vessels, though I'm not exactly sure what they are.

The biggest choice I have to make is between the pottery class and . . . my fingernails!

I really don't like ithe class very much, but there are no refunds after the class has started, so I will continue. I expect I'm going to have the most expensive bad pottery collection around after four more weeks of this!

...and I will not get rid of my fingernails!

mae

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:33 pm

pottery huh? good luck. i'm fairly certain if i made a cup in a pottery class it would be lucky to actually hold any water. :)

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:51 am

A cup. Hmm. I wonder if that's what I made.

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh, hallelujah! A whole flock of robins came to my yard today! The snow has all melted, the flood waters have subsided - at least from my yard - and the robins were here. Now, if the fog would just lift.

I'm sure our winter was nothing compared to the mid-United States, but for us here on the top left coast, it was pretty rough. We've had snow like we haven't had in decades, avalanches, biblical rainfall, mudslides, floods and brutal cold. All in about two months or less. Now we have heavy-duty fog that has just parked over us, probably because of the floods. All that moisture slowly evaporating because the ground is still so saturated, it can't drain away.

But the robins! And the Pussy willows have broken bud. This isn't Narnia and spring will come.

I repeat, hallelujah!

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Race Realization

Through the interminable presidential campaign months, I listened to the array of Democratic candidates and the few Republican candidates. I did my homework, studying their records, their backgrounds, their ideologies. I compared experience levels and checked their claims against history. I behaved as a responsible citizen should.

But I looked at everything as a white American woman. Barak Obama was not my choice for President of my country and because of that, I tended to become impatient with those Americans of color who saw him as their Promised One. He isn't qualified; he doesn't have enough experience governing; mainly he's just a good orator. So why can't other people see that? What difference does it make if he's African-American? To me, that fact honestly doesn't matter. As I listened to all the speeches and watched those who were so enamored with him, however, I came to realize that the color of his skin DOES matter to almost everyone else in this country, including other African-Americans.

All my life, I've had a hard time understanding why someone's race or nationality made any difference at all to anyone else. It has nothing to do with the quality of their character; nothing to do with their level of intelligence (not education, but intelligence); nothing to do with what kind of friend, person, parent they are. What difference does it make? But white Americans have always viewed themselves as superior to any other race or skin color. I don't know why, but they have. It's a fact I cannot deny. Because of that, white Americans have treated people of other races or nationalities in a manner that at best was condescending and at worst brutal. And because of that, black Americans looked at whites, including me, with suspicion. Black Americans saw my skin as white every bit as clearly as white Americans saw theirs as black. It wasn't like a jacket that you take off and hang in the closet when you get home. It's always there – black or white, white or black.

Because there had never been a black American leader and there are only a handful of black Americans in congressional or cabinet-level positions, African-Americans feel that they live in a white American-ruled nation How can I argue otherwise? Despite the fact that those who are black or African American alone constitute over 13% of our population, there are few black economic leaders and only 8% of all the teachers in the United States are non-Hispanic black.

Only in the last two and half months since the election have I realized why there were tears running down the faces of black Americans when Pres. Obama won; why they've placed their hope in him; why it means so much to them to have a president with the same color of skin as they. I don't know if, as a nation, we will ever come to the point where skin color doesn't matter – no matter what color your own skin is. I hope we will. But even if we don't, at least I finally realize why it matters to so many that Barak Obama, a bi-racial black man in 21st century United States of America, was elected President. African Americans, descendants of slaves or immigrants from other lands, are finally equal to white Americans. Finally.

Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:20 pm

mae, I never saw your blog before. Imagine that! Because the blogs don't seem to get to the main boards, I never read them.
As to your above entry, it's not something white Americans learned. It was brought here from the old countries and inherited through the generations. The English who colonized so much of the world ALWAYS considered themselves far superior to the people whose countries they took over. They felt they had every right to take those lands from the "ignorant natives". As has always been said of the missionaries to Hawaii...they came to do good and they did very well! :-D
But I agree. It's a new era for the U.S. and I do hope it proves to be a wonderful thing and doesn't get bogged down in the idiologies of the extreme left. That would be a pity.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Mae, I think you're definitely right that skin color still seems to matter. But the funny thing is, until this election, I barely noticed it did.

I rarely heard racial slurs or stereotypes from anybody other than my Dad - and he didn't count, because he wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box. But ever since the election, people who otherwise claimed they believed we were all equal were suddenly coming out with totally inappropriate comments and clinging to stereotypes. It was appalling! It is starting to die down now, but people are still bitter.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I am so happy to see a black president is because I feel that maybe our country is getting to the point where we can embrace diversity; where people can vote for a man not BECAUSE he's black, but because they honestly believe he will be the best candidate for change and people won't NOT vote for him just because he's black.

I too looked at both candidates and tried to stay impartial. I went with how my gut responded to interviews, history, and policies. And there are always biases in elections... remember all those women who said they were voting for Bill Clinton because he was "cute"? I'm sure there were people who played to those biases in this election, but I don't think we can discredit him because of that - we'll just have to see what happens in the future. :)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:57 pm

There were people who voted for Barrack BECAUSE he's black and there were those who did not vote for him for the very same reason. I find it ignorant to vote for anyone based on what he or she looks like... skin color, hair style, cuteness, shifty eyes... but people do it all the time.

People too often judge a book by it's cover... as we've been told time and time again not to do. How I voted was based entirely on policy, past voting records, what each candidate said (not implied) and how many lies were uncovered. Unfortunately, that didn't leave me with a good feeling no matter who I voted for because (if you only go by the two main candidates) neither of them were floating in a boat without a several holes.

So... all I can say is only time will tell... I just hope "time" is on our side because I fear we don't have much of it in regards to politics anymore.
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Haven't been here in six months or so. But I'm feeling bummed today and this seems safe. I thought I was doing a good thing by critiquing a friend's writing. The problem was, I didn't understand the subject of his piece and so made some incorrect remarks. He came completely unglued and no amount of explaining or apologizing can convince him that it was just a mistake. He'd asked for a harsh review, so I gave him a strong one - maybe even harsh. He said I'd personally attacked him. I've lost a friend and it makes me very sad.

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Oh, I had the most wonderful morning! I took Louie the Cocker Spaniel and a whole carload of paraphermalia and headed out to do some drawing. I live right at the base of the foothills to the Cascade Mountains, so they just go back in layers when you can get a clear view. I was going to go sit at the railroad right-of-way along the highway, but I was nervous about driving through some farmer's grass field without his permission. So, I drove around to our teeny town's ball park and the man who looked like the head caretaker loved the idea that somebody would want to sit in his park and draw the mountains. BUT, he said, I've got a better place. He sent me to the town cemetery, which he also takes care of. He has put a bench under a spreading tree at the back of the cemetery and there is the most incredible view of the mountains. So I tied LTCS (Louie the Cocker Spaniel) to a stake, gave him a bowl of water, cleaned up his you-know-what (he's just like a toddler. Why didn't he go at home?) and sat down to draw.

We were only there about an hour, but it was wonderful. The breeze was soft, the birds were tuneful, Louie behaved himself and I got to draw uninterrupted by telephones, husband or guilt.

The caretaker had said he wanted me to come back when I was done and show him my drawing. So I did, and we talked for awhile. Turns out, he's not really a caretaker. He's a town legend. I've only lived here a little over a year, but I've heard about him for 30 years! (I lived near here out in the country. There is a series of little towns all within a few miles radius of each other.) He "remodeled" the cemetery from an overgrown blackberry patch to a beautiful park. He oversees a crew of men who mow the ballfields and maintain the faciities. He owned the most hoppin' restaurant/bar in town until he sold it a decade or so ago. And he was so pleased at my drawing that he gave me a hug and said someday he wants one. He loves the idea that someone else will use his bench under the tree.

I found a lovely place to draw and made a new friend, all at the same time. Louie and I had a very good morning.

mae

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:22 pm

I told my family all I wanted for my birthday was one night of uninterrupted sleep (not having to take the dog out at 4 o'clock in the morning because she wants to play) and one day of no responsibilities and complete freedom. I don't think they understood me.

I'm glad you got an hour of solitude, relaxation and inspiration. Just those little moments can breathe new life into you for a very long time. Take advantage of the beauty all summer and just image what the view will be when the leaves start to turn colors. Enjoy.
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Do you remember I told you we had a Lost Boys tree in our front yard? A couple of weeks ago, we kept three of our young grandkids for six days (YES, SIX DAYS!!!!!) and we told the middle one, 3 year old Connor, that our tree was a Lost Boys tree. He stood looking down into the center of it and told me all about what he saw. He saw the pirate ship and Captain Hook with one hand. He saw Peter Pan and Tinkerbelle flying around . No, he didn't really want to go down right then; he liked being here with Grandma, but he could see it all.

I just adore three year olds!

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:07 am

My two grandsons who visit each summer are back! Sam, the older one, is 12. He's taller than I and his voice has started changing. He still has his mop of blonde curls and his eyes are still the color of water (I've never seen anyone else with eyes this light a blue!) but he's really growing up.

Drew, the younger one, is still a little boy. He's only 8 and an adorable little Pan. His laugh is the most contagious laugh I've ever heard - and we hear it often!

As we were anticipating their visit, I was thinking about my own visits with my grandmother. I L-O-V-E-D going to my grandmother's house. We've got all kinds of activities planned with the boys - but my grandmother didn't do anything. Why did I like going there so much? I haven't a clue. Grandmothers were different back then. I just know I waited for that visit all year. And it pleased me beyond measuring when my daughter said the boys were excited out of their minds to be coming to see us.

Maybe I don't have to do quite so much to keep them occupied. That would be a relief! :-D

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 am

What a summer I have ahead of me! We collected Sam and Drew from their parents yesterday. They'll be here a week (though I share them - for a day - with their other Grandma who lives nearby).

Then, in August, I'm going to SWEDEN!! My former daughter-in-law is getting remarried and has invited us to her wedding. Hubby isn't going, but I AM! I'll be staying with her and my red-haired twin grandsons. She's getting married in a 12th century cathedral and they're planning on an all-night reception at a hotel nearby where they have rooms booked for the guests. Her mother is going to be my personal tour guide for the week that I'm there.

When I come home, I will be stopping off in California where I will meet my 10th grandchild - and only 2nd granddaughter - who isn't even born yet but will be by then!

And in between and all around that, I have my other five grandkids that live close. They'll be visiting and staying over to see their cousins.

I do love summers. They are so chockfull of grandchildren! And this summer is extra special! Fun time ahead!! :lol:

pengwenn
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby pengwenn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Take lots of pictures. Gets lots of inspiration for writing. And most importantly HAVE FUN!!!

Return to “Personal Blogs”