I THINK I'LL START A BLOG

PLEASE ONLY one personal blog per member! This is a great place to start a forum blog for all your non-writing chit-chat. Please keep in mind we are a PG13 site.

Moderator: Metaphor Makers

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master
Location: Northwest corner of Washington state, snuggled up next to Canada

I THINK I'LL START A BLOG

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:10 am

I've never "done" a blog before. I can't think that anyone would be interested in anything I have to say, but, hey, I got a kick out of Delaney's blog, so maybe somebody will want to read mine. (Although I'm not nearly as interesting as Delaney!).

My husband and I are getting ready to have two of our grandsons stay with us for a week. They're only 10 and 6 yet I'm working my fingers to the bone to get ready for them. Does that make any sense at all? When I was a girl, my brother and I and two of our cousins the same age as we would stay at our grandparents' house in the summer. Our grandparents never did anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, to keep us occupied, but we just loved it there. We've got stuff planned for every day the boys are here.

That's okay. My grandparents had 33 (count 'em!) grandchildren. I have 9 (almost 10). This is the first time I've been able to pry these two away from their parents so I'm excited to have them.

At the same time I'm getting things ready for them, I'm sort of cleaning out and organizing. This fall we'll be moving into a new house and I'm starting now to organize stuff. After the boys leave, I'm going to have a massive garage sale (want to come up, mslover?)

PLUS - drum roll, please! - in about two weeks, I have will my book in hand!!!! They've sent it to the printer and the anticipated date of delivery of my copies is 7/28.

Okay, I don't know what else to talk about - except how much I enjoyed the poetry contest that just ended. I was really impressed with the poetry. Let's do it again!!!

I will entertain any and all suggestions for a different title for this blog - no matter how silly. In fact, silly is good!

mae
My heart beats in poetry. I think in rhythm and dream in rhyme.

Give me a crit! I can take it!

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 am

congrats on the book, Mae. And good luck with the garage sale.
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com
www.imaginationtogo.com
www.wowwebnow.com
JillStar
Moderator+

Postby JillStar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:03 am

Ditto to Mudge's comment.

Now... how about Mae Flower Inn? :D
Fast Fiction Friday Blog 2011-2018: Additional FFF Prompts
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:31 am

I like that, Jill. Mae Flower Inn. Hmm.

Have you all cast your votes on the contest? NO! Come on, now, vote. mae

CELTIC QUEEN, an Epic Poem, Cynthia M. Bateman, amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... +Epic+Poem at Tate Publishing
Mlou
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Mlou » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:28 am

Mae-be Yes, Mae-be No :D

Mae, that's the sad thing about today. Adults feel that they must plan every minute of children's time. My niece is like an army general, marching the kids to this group and that "educational" thing, and wearing herself to a frazzle doing it, so they'll have all the "advantages".
Why don't we remember how we used to love to do nothing special at all??? Or to use our imaginations to create games and play??? Or to just goof off and watch a frog on a lily pad for long, happy moments.
nothing is ever simply Yes or No. There's always a But...

GINGERBREAD MAN by Mary Lou Healy at Amazon.com http://www.publishamerica.com/shopping/ ... ogid=16658 at Publish America
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:51 pm

The problem with that, mlou,is that 'doing nothing special at all'now translates into watching television or playing video games. I don't consider those to be fruitful pastimes. So, I've put together water color kits and I'll take them water coloring with me or we'll make stuff in my craft room. We'll get out the karaoke machine and they can sing and play (they're both taking music lessons). My husband is dying to take them fishing. We're going to take them golfing with us one day. They both love golf. It's all stuff they will be doing WITH US. That's the advantage, I think, for both them and us. mae

Daniel
Wordtripper Extraordinaire

Postby Daniel » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi, mae. I hope you enjoy your blog experience. I am not fond of these personal blogs because in my opinion, it is better to discuss this kind of issues with the ones that are close to you; otherwise, it is like submitting reports about how it is life going. I am not saying that one has to keep everything about his life from the nice people here, but for me it is a matter of different dimensions: what's up here belongs to these realms, while my family life is a different thing. I don't inform my family about every post I make here simply because such comments have nothing to do with our relationship. Perhaps sometimes I talk about something I found relevant to mention, but I don't like mix-up realities and that is what it would mean to me to make every day entries here and there to tell you about them and viceversa.
The same I think about pictures. Do people ask their relatives and friends -children or not- whether they accept to be lodged in the net? I know that sometimes circumstances lead us to do it, as when a picture of me and some family members was shown in a website with our consent (adults us all). In the case of children, I think we should never post their pictures because, even previously asking them if they want it, our own attitude may be inducing them to do it, i.e. us looking excited about the prospect of being seen by others in a desirable situation and so make them feel that it is great. Perhaps in a given moment of their lives they regret what they did and, regardless of who is right or wrong, they may blame their adults for inducing them to do so.
That is why my personal blog is "the sentence".
Finally, I cherish diversity among adults. I just wanted to give you my opinion. That is all. :-P
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

YOU ARE TO ME WHAT YOU CHOSE TO BE.
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Okay, Daniel. Thank you for that. As far as I'm concerned, my dear, you can say anything you wish as long as you have that picture of Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow for your avatar. I do love that picture!

mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:59 pm

I hired a teen-aged girl from my church today to help me get my craft room in order (a younger back and all). She and her brother had just returned a couple of days ago from a mission trip to Mexico that about 20 of our church kids went on.

I expressed to her my gratitude at her being willing to help me and she said actually she had to get out of the house. Her mother was driving her nuts. I expected some teen angst thing where her mother looked at her cross-eyed and she couldn't stand it anymore. But she said since she had returned from Mexico, her mother had been "hovering." Now, her mom had told us that she'd really missed her kids and hadn't realized how much she'd depended on her daughter. But the girl said she'd been taking a nap and when she woke up, her mother's face was right down close to hers - where she'd been watching her daughter sleep!!! :D :D We thought it was hilarious! I explained to her - in my best grandmotherly way - that I'm sure that was enough to drive her crazy, but it was also pretty special. That's a good family. Funny, and sometimes a little weird, but good. mae

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Mudge, I'm sorry, I didn't respond to your message earlier. Thank you for the congratulations. And the garage sale won't be for a couple of weeks, but thanks for your good wishes anyway.

mae

TheMudge
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby TheMudge » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:00 pm

My mother has been "going to have a garage sale" for, I think, 15 years . . .
"Throughout history, Truth and Love have always won." - M. Ghandi

"Truth and Love often get the crap kicked out of them along the way." -D. Mudge

www.joyfulcurmudgeon.com

www.imaginationtogo.com

www.wowwebnow.com
xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:11 pm

my mother has been having one for about five years, mudge. maybe they should get together and have a combined garage sale (or tag sale as we call them here in new england)
Behind the Press
There's always a bloody ghost.
Delaney
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby Delaney » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:44 am

Mae, I hope you love the blogging thing... I do find it funny that I have an easier time discussing at length my personal life (which in real life, I'm usually quieter about except to a few people) than in actually writing a story. I sometimes wonder if I'm going to get that "aha!" moment and figure out my story from past entries. If nothing else, it's fun to look back once in awhile and see where you were at a certain time in life.

That said, good luck with the garage sale (I LOVE those). Looking forward to reading more :)
<i>It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Terry Pratchett</i>
mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 am

blogging can be a way of either working out a problem or simply allowing it to slip out and fade away. sometimes we just need to talk about it to let it go. then blogging is also simply a way of sharing which, oddly enough, is sometimes easier to do to strangers. you can say things that you may not otherwise. though that may be bad it can also be a good way to rid yourself of angst. :)

welcome to the world of blogging. :D

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:07 am

Today is the first day of our grandsons' visit. I'm exhausted. This morning we painted the doghouse; we did some watercolors; we practiced driving range golf in the front yard; we had a disaster in the bathroom (the cold water handle on the tub broke when #1 Grandson tried to take a shower and water was spewing all over the bathroom and a virtual waterfall down into the basement, flooding my craft room.); a third grandson came over in the afternoon and sparks began to fly instantly; Grandpa took all three of them fishing; I taught the two visiting to make fresh-squeezed lemonade; and finally, this evening we make wooden models and painted them.

I had forgotten how noisy, how silly, how messy and how constantly hungry boys are! I raised three sons, so you'd think I'd remember all that, but I didn't.

I may not make it through this week! mae

xcheck24
Wordtrip Fixture

Postby xcheck24 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 am

maybe i missed it, but how old are the boys, mae?
Behind the Press

There's always a bloody ghost.
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 am

The older one is 10 and the younger is 6. mae

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:19 pm

I haven't seen you here for a while, mae. Is it that you made this blog to chill out during your grandchildren's stay? :wink:
"I think that in order to understand other people's suffering and distress one must have, among other things, a great imagination."

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Actually, Daniel, I forgot I'd started it! I don't think I'm cut out to be a blogger. mae

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:49 pm

OK, mae. I hope you don't hate me. I'm going through a difficult time and make this kind of questions. Good night.

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Hate you? :shock: Why in the world would I hate you?

I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time. If you want to talk, PM me. Good night, Daniel. Get some rest, dearie. Maybe things will be better in the morning. mae

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:27 am

Hate you? Why in the world would I hate you?

Sorry, it was a figurative way of saying "bother", a more passionate way, perhaps.
I am angry with life, like many people are. That's all.
Thank you, Mae.

mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Groan! I am so sick. Actually, I am on the mend now. I can sit up and type. Last night I had a temperature of over 103 degrees and I passed out on the way to the bathroom. It has not been a fun few days. mae

mslover
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mslover » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:47 pm

awwww... mae i am sorry to hear that = hope you are up and around (and writing more poetry) soon!!!

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories - we've already missed the spring"

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
mae
Wordtrip Grand Master

Postby mae » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:04 pm

thanks, msl. As soon as I can think beyond, "move this finger, then move that finger" I will be at it again. mae

Return to “Personal Blogs”